PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts on the LT arrest, charges and July 14th Court date

RC3
07-08-2015, 08:53 AM
First of all, the charge is not that serious. It is what I presume a first offense misdemeanor. LT is not going to spend any time in jail for this, even if found guilty. The most serious consequence he faces from this charge is the loss of his federal rights to own a firearm. I doubt he would even receive much in the way of a suspension from the team either if found guilty. I haven't looked at a Court docket, so I can't say for sure, but the 14th hearing date is possibly just an initial appearance. If that ends up being the case, he probably won't even appear and will just have his attorney waive that hearing. Do not expect any type of testimony, facts, etc presented on that day...Hell don't expect that even if it his actual trial date. This guy isn't going to testify and would probably just plead no contest before any trial takes place. Also, in my opinion, a deal will likely be struck, the charge will be reduced and remanded to the file for a period of time based on good behavior, or something similar. So often when cross affidavits are filed against two combatants, this is the result. Bottom line is, the criminal charges mean very little in this matter. Just my .02 cents on the whole situation and I will also add that I think our fanbase is making WAY to big of a deal over this. It doesn't really have anything to do with us. Step-dad might be spilling some beans but that doesn't mean much IMO. They are going to need A LOT more for anything to come of this and I doubt they find it.

turkish
07-08-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm hearing Miller does not plan to show and the charges will then be dismissed. Charges against Miller will, in turn, also be dropped. Unsubstantiated rumors.

Maroonthirteen
07-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Yeah, you are right about the legal aspect. This is probably an initial appearance. His attorney will have him plead not guilty (to buy time to access the allegations and evidence) or the charges will be dropped.

However, I think it is a serious matter regarding the NCAA. They didn't visit with Miller for the hell of it.

LeakyD
07-08-2015, 09:28 AM
I think Miller is out to get Freeze and OM 10x more than Tunsil. They are still digging up dirt on him which seems to make him more determined to stay the course. No doubt that he wanted a piece of the pie, but the fight and the narrative started by Freeze caused everything to unravel. 100% of this is the result of OM people starting with Freeze down to the sidewalk fans. They want to blame us, but we're just enjoying the show.

fishwater99
07-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Yeah, you are right about the legal aspect. This is probably an initial appearance. His attorney will have him plead not guilty (to buy time to access the allegations and evidence) or the charges will be dropped.

However, I think it is a serious matter regarding the NCAA. They didn't visit with Miller for the hell of it.

The head of enforcement for football for the NCAA didn't come to Oxford to visit the square..

starkvegasdawg
07-08-2015, 09:40 AM
The head of enforcement for football for the NCAA didn't come to Oxford to visit the square..

Although Freeze may have tried to arrange a private meeting in the backroom of the Library with a sorostitute.

5 Star
07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Not about the legal aspect to me, rather that it's opened up Pandora's Box for the NCAA...

Pollodawg
07-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Legally, it is highly likely that nothing comes from this. However, the head of the NCAA enforcement branch didn't meet with Miller for three hours for nothing, folks.

RC3
07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Legally, it is highly likely that nothing comes from this. However, the head of the NCAA enforcement branch didn't meet with Miller for three hours for nothing, folks.

I certainly understand that the head of NCAA enforcement coming into town is significant. But I also understand that the NCAA will need a lot more than allegations from a disgruntled step-father to do anything. I wouldn't hold my breath

FlabLoser
07-08-2015, 10:10 AM
I certainly understand that the head of NCAA enforcement coming into town is significant. But I also understand that the NCAA will need a lot more than allegations from a disgruntled step-father to do anything. I wouldn't hold my breath

Per the Clarion Ledger, stepfather handled Tusnil's recruitment. Quite possible he has some tangible evidence the NCAA is looking for.

Coach34
07-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Exactly. The legal side has never been a big issue. Simple Assault is a small fine

Miller meeting with the NCAA that quickly is the story

RC3
07-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Per the Clarion Ledger, stepfather handled Tusnil's recruitment. Quite possible he has some tangible evidence the NCAA is looking for.

I doubt he deposited cash $$ into a bank account. If anything improper was received, there isn't going to be a paper trail. Come on guys, that would be rookie stuff. Even if stepdad claims that they received X amount of money to sign, there isnt going to be proof of it. Let's move past this. Yes, it is fun to watch them squirm a little, but some around here seem to think this is going to result in some serious sanctions. Does anything they ever do result in anything?? It won't this time around either.

Bubb Rubb
07-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Exactly. The legal side has never been a big issue. Simple Assault is a small fine

Miller meeting with the NCAA that quickly is the story

This is the key here, and everybody knows it. NCAA officials didn't just read about this in the paper and immediately book a flight to Oxford. They were already involved in investigating the Rebel football program. This didn't set off an investigation, it added validity to some things already being investigated. The immediacy of that meeting is the compelling proof of this.

codeDawg
07-08-2015, 10:28 AM
I doubt he deposited cash $$ into a bank account. If anything improper was received, there isn't going to be a paper trail. Come on guys, that would be rookie stuff. Even if stepdad claims that they received X amount of money to sign, there isnt going to be proof of it. Let's move past this. Yes, it is fun to watch them squirm a little, but some around here seem to think this is going to result in some serious sanctions. Does anything they ever do result in anything?? It won't this time around either.

A parent admitting benefits is significant, no matter his motivations. There are a ton of things that the NCAA can track down. For instance, "so Mr. Tunsil, who pays your car insurance? Can you show me a canceled check or a bank statement?" There are also allegations of academic fraud.

This is far from a small issue.

RC3
07-08-2015, 10:30 AM
A parent admitting benefits is significant, no matter his motivations. There are a ton of things that the NCAA can track down. For instance, "so Mr. Tunsil, who pays your car insurance? Can you show me a canceled check or a bank statement?" There are also allegations of academic fraud.

This is far from a small issue.
LT response: oh i used some of my monthly stipend to pay it in cash at such and such insurance firm

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Move past it? Did they move past it back in the JWS days? The RUMORS did way more damage than the actual probation. We can't talk about this often enough. As for the disgruntled stepdad, a lot if what the NCAA used against us came from UM players. Come on man, play the game. We had nothing to do with what's going on but we sure need to be talking it up.

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2015, 10:43 AM
LT response: oh i used some of my monthly stipend to pay it in cash at such and such insurance firm

A monthly stipend from a scholarship can not be used for that purpose. The IRS would be interested if that is the case. My son is in college right now and on scholarship. The money has to be kept separate and used for allowable expenses only.

RC3
07-08-2015, 11:06 AM
A monthly stipend from a scholarship can not be used for that purpose. The IRS would be interested if that is the case. My son is in college right now and on scholarship. The money has to be kept separate and used for allowable expenses only.
huh?? i thought it was for living expenses? car insurance is not a living expense?

5 Star
07-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Move past it? Did they move past it back in the JWS days? The RUMORS did way more damage than the actual probation. We can't talk about this often enough. As for the disgruntled stepdad, a lot if what the NCAA used against us came from UM players. Come on man, play the game. We had nothing to do with what's going on but we sure need to be talking it up.

Great point. We need to make it something, even if it isn't.

HSVDawg
07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I may have missed it but I don't think anyone ever thought that the legal consequences would be anything severe for Tunsil. Nobody ever thought Tunsil was going to jail or even missing more than 1-2 games at most over the altercation. The things that the incident brought to light are what is of much greater concern to all parties (Tunsils and OM).

Coach34
07-08-2015, 11:28 AM

Who's to say the Stepdad didn't deposit that cash into a bank account? Savings account? That's a paper trail

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2015, 11:28 AM
huh?? i thought it was for living expenses? car insurance is not a living expense?

Not according to what we have been told. School related expenses only: Books, tuition, fees, room, board. Now the new total cost of attendance thing for athletic scholarships will be different.

RC3
07-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Not according to what we have been told. School related expenses only: Books, tuition, fees, room, board. Now the new total cost of attendance thing for athletic scholarships will be different.

Must be a difference between athletic and academic then because i could spend my money however I wanted

RocketCityDawg
07-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Must be a difference between athletic and academic then because i could spend my money however I wanted

Same with me. I bought beer with mine.

Technetium
07-08-2015, 12:27 PM
I spent my academic scholarship money however I pleased. Never had an issue, never had to produce proof for how it was spent. That includes using it to pay for my car insurance.

Pollodawg
07-08-2015, 12:39 PM
My question is why would we just let this go? Did they let the Will Redmond incident go? Why would you want to play nicely with these people is what I don't get. There are recruiting irregularities surrounding the Tunsil case (not to mention several others) it is the off season, and there is nothing going on in the sports world for us to talk about.

So...no......we will not be just letting this go.

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2015, 01:36 PM

My son is on academic scholarship. Perhaps we were misinformed. His is just under a full ride and he lived on campus last year so he never had any left over. This will be his first off campus. I think if the IRS ever asks you have to prove it was spent on allowable school expenses or it is considered taxable income.

turkish
07-08-2015, 01:58 PM
And this is the type of thing that's gonna take UOM down? Color me skeptical.

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2015, 02:04 PM
It's the more than the kind of thing that took JWS down.

Maroonthirteen
07-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Does there even have to be a paper trail? Redmond's case, from what I understand, had one witness....Devinner. Maybe Bracky made himself and Redmond wintesses 2 and 3 but........Devinner was all that was needed.

Johnson85
07-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Football players have cash from their housing stipend among other things. Not that it matters. If the ncaa is interested, they will do the ewuivalent of a standard of living audit. They'll just look w their major corners and tell thramily to show where the money to pay for it came from. Basically what they did with renardo Sidney.

But I doubt the ncaa will be interested in anything but the agents. They don't seem to care about benefits coming from the schools nearly as much as benefits from agents.

RC3
07-08-2015, 04:43 PM
My son is on academic scholarship. Perhaps we were misinformed. His is just under a full ride and he lived on campus last year so he never had any left over. This will be his first off campus. I think if the IRS ever asks you have to prove it was spent on allowable school expenses or it is considered taxable income.

There is probably something to what you are saying to avoid scholarship monies being considered income. hardly a big deal to pay your car insurance though. I doubt many full time college students are being audited by the IRS though

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2015, 04:59 PM
True...but it does happen to parents. We have been told to be very careful.

codeDawg
07-08-2015, 05:15 PM
And this is the type of thing that's gonna take UOM down? Color me skeptical.

Anybody that expects this to "bring UM down" will be sorely disappointed. Something will come of this though. It may be a few game suspension and some secondary violations, but it will be something.

codeDawg
07-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Does there even have to be a paper trail? Redmond's case, from what I understand, had one witness....Devinner. Maybe Bracky made himself and Redmond wintesses 2 and 3 but........Devinner was all that was needed.

No, they had Redmond to themselves without council spilling his guts on the threat that he may never get cleared. They don't have that threat to use in this case.

Reason2succeed
07-08-2015, 05:17 PM
There won't be any "playing this down". UMiss boasted and bragged about their top 5 recruiting class and now it's bring exposed. The chickens come home to roost. Burn Freeze burn.