PDA

View Full Version : Can Mario Kegler be the next 1 and done for Howland...

fishwater99
07-08-2015, 08:42 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/07/07/former-callaway-star-kegler-focused-future/29844223/

As a junior at ACD, the small forward averaged 26.8 points and eight rebounds per game while shooting 46 percent from the field.

But the biggest difference to his AAU coach and legal guardian Omhar Carter is the focus Kegler sharpened while living away from home........

Kegler impressed scouts while playing with MBA Hoops U17 team on the AAU circuit this spring and for Team USA during Adidas' Eurocamp in June. For the four-star prospect, the freedom to move fluidly up and down the court and step out and shoot is a natural fit.

A fit that, for Kegler, will play a major factor in determining where he attends college.

"Around (Jackson), if you're 6-foot-6 and above, you're inside," Carter said. "That hurts our kids. ? We have to be willing to take the bumps and bruises even if they're not ready. Whether it be me, a high school coach. We have to be willing to let these kids play the position that they're going to play later on so they can learn."

Mississippi State is one program that's drawn heavily to Kegler as a college-level wing. While finishing out his 2015 class, Ben Howland established the groundwork in 2016 and has his eye on the top-ranked player from Mississippi.

"I like (Howland's) energy, how he's up running with his players in workouts," Kegler said. "He's out there motivating them, telling them what's right and what's wrong."

Before the start of the live period, Kegler visited Mississippi State, LSU and Arizona State.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 08:44 AM
I think he's a 2yr guy but it definitely wouldn't be a shock if he was a 1 & done. I think he & Lamar Peters are 2yr guys.

starkvegasdawg
07-08-2015, 08:55 AM
What are our odds of landing him?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 08:59 AM

I think it would be a surprise if we didn't land him. He has some work to do in the classroom that's his biggest hurdle right now.

ChevChelios
07-08-2015, 09:01 AM

What Howland wants... Howland gets.

chef dixon
07-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I think he's a 2yr guy but it definitely wouldn't be a shock if he was a 1 & done. I think he & Lamar Peters are 2yr guys.

Kegler has the build/game of a potential stud college player. And wow that is very strong praise for Peters. Going early as a point guard isn't easy and he's rated as a 3 star guy on some sites. His video is impressive but 2 year guy never crossed my mind, that's exciting to hear.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Kegler has the build/game of a potential stud college player. And wow that is very strong praise for Peters. Going early as a point guard isn't easy and he's rated as a 3 star guy on some sites. His video is impressive but 2 year guy never crossed my mind, that's exciting to hear.

He was a 3* before the spring AAU period now he's a 4* across the board on every site. Kid has everything you need in a PG. He can shoot, handle, pass, etc. He needs to put on a few pounds & work on his defense but I have no doubt Howland will take care of that. Howland got Jordan Farmar to the league in 2yrs & I think Peters has similar talent.

ETA: I think Peters game is very very similar to Brandon Jennings. He's not quite at Jennings talent level but when I watch Peters play Jennings is the 1st guy I think of.

engie
07-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Composite #80 overall recruit now. Barring Malik, I'm pretty sure that makes him our highest rated recruit since Hood...

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Composite #80 overall recruit now. Barring Malik, I'm pretty sure that makes him our highest rated recruit since Hood...

Crazy thing is we could/will end up with 2 or 3 guys higher than him just in this class alone.

engie
07-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Crazy thing is we could/will end up with 2 or 3 guys higher than him just in this class alone.

You think we get Banks? Huge need at center....

messageboardsuperhero
07-08-2015, 10:36 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Peters move up higher than #80 and have us sign a couple more who are at that level or higher for 2016.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 10:41 AM
You think we get Banks? Huge need at center....

Banks or Schnider Herard. We're going after both really hard. Banks would be the safest bet as he already liked MSU before Howland & crew got here. He also has a long standing relationship with Korey McCray. Herard is a guy Zeigler has been on very hard. He has a top 3 of MSU, Texas, & Kansas in no order. Herard is 6'10" about 250-255lbs. If he catches the ball on the block it's a basket or foul or both. He would have a more immediate impact but Banks has the higher ceiling. I think Banks can be a lottery pick in a few years if he keeps progressing. He's just so raw right now but he gets better every time he steps on the court. I would be happy with either but we have to land 1 of them.

Coastdog28
07-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Ifyouonlyknew, i know you have touched on this in several posts, but wanted to see if you could provide a comprehensive look at the 2016 class. Obviously, we have Lamar Peters committed and PG locked in, and a few others out there, but just wanted to see where we stood on everybody else. Thanks.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 02:51 PM
We will have 6 maybe 7 scholarships available next year so it will be a huge class. Just a breakdown of guys we're on right now

PG - Lamar Peters (Committed)

SG - Malik Crowfield
Andrew Jones

CG - Tyson Carter

SF - Mario Kegler

PF - Cameron Lard
Brison Gresham

C - James Banks
Schnider Herard

The Tyson Carter offer did surprise me a little bit but he's been solid with MBA Elite AAU team & he really lit it up at the MSU camp a couple weeks ago. I expect him to commit before the summer is out. I think that would be his best bet to ensure a spot in the class. I still expect Malik Crowfield in the class. Kid is just a winner. Doesn't do anything great but does everything good. Kegler I expect to be in this class. He & Peters were Howland's top guys on the board for 2016. He has to do his part in the classroom but he would replace a lot of the scoring punch we will lose after this year. Gresham & Lard are supposed to have similar games. I'm going to be honest I don't know much about Lard. I really like Gresham's game. He plays hard, runs the floor, attacks the offensive glass like an animal, & blocks shots. He's still developing on offense but teach a kid a couple jump hooks & go from there. I spoke about Banks & Herard earlier so need to go over them again but we have to get 1 of those guys. There's no reason this class shouldn't be Top 10 & I expect it will be.

Madisonmd
07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Look for Crowfield to be a !B guy, maybe fallback

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Look for Crowfield to be a !B guy, maybe fallback

Maybe so but if I'm Carter I wouldn't think I had forever to commit. I've heard the staff would take both but we'll see.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2015, 07:16 PM
I think it would be a surprise if we didn't land him. He has some work to do in the classroom that's his biggest hurdle right now.

A JPS player struggling with grades? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.*******

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 07:21 PM
A JPS player struggling with grades? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.*******

I hear ya but he's going to finish his last 2yrs out of state & it's still gonna be a battle to qualify. Hope he can get it done.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2015, 07:26 PM
I hear ya but he's going to finish his last 2yrs out of state & it's still gonna be a battle to qualify. Hope he can get it done.

Good news. JPS is a hellhole. Hopefully the out of state people can get him caught up and on track.

Todd4State
07-08-2015, 11:46 PM
We will have 6 maybe 7 scholarships available next year so it will be a huge class. Just a breakdown of guys we're on right now

SG - Malik Crowfield
Andrew Jones

CG - Tyson Carter

SF - Mario Kegler

PF - Cameron Lard
Brison Gresham

C - James Banks
Schnider Herard

The Tyson Carter offer did surprise me a little bit but he's been solid with MBA Elite AAU team & he really lit it up at the MSU camp a couple weeks ago. I expect him to commit before the summer is out. I think that would be his best bet to ensure a spot in the class. I still expect Malik Crowfield in the class. Kid is just a winner. Doesn't do anything great but does everything good. Kegler I expect to be in this class. He & Peters were Howland's top guys on the board for 2016. He has to do his part in the classroom but he would replace a lot of the scoring punch we will lose after this year. Gresham & Lard are supposed to have similar games. I'm going to be honest I don't know much about Lard. I really like Gresham's game. He plays hard, runs the floor, attacks the offensive glass like an animal, & blocks shots. He's still developing on offense but teach a kid a couple jump hooks & go from there. I spoke about Banks & Herard earlier so need to go over them again but we have to get 1 of those guys. There's no reason this class shouldn't be Top 10 & I expect it will be.

Pardon my basketball ignorance, but what position is a CG?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 11:58 PM

Combo Guard

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Update: Look like we can add another SG to the list. 5* SG Mustapha Herron from Waterbury, CT released his final 6 schools. St. John, Alabama, Auburn, SMU, MSU, & Maryland. Former Pitt commit. He's scheduled to visit MSU August 27th. St John appears to be the favorite right now but get him on campus & let our guys work their magic. This staff is going to change the way we think about recruiting for MSU.

MaroomerMill
07-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Update: Look like we can add another SG to the list. 5* SG Mustapha Herron from Waterbury, CT released his final 6 schools. St. John, Alabama, Auburn, SMU, MSU, & Maryland. Former Pitt commit. He's scheduled to visit MSU August 27th. St John appears to be the favorite right now but get him on campus & let our guys work their magic. This staff is going to change the way we think about recruiting for MSU.

Any word if these are listed in order?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Any word if these are listed in order?

Wasn't in any order. St. John is considered the favorite & Bama has made a good impression but so far he hasn't done any order.

Coastdog28
07-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Ifyouonlyknew, any chance at De'Aaron Fox, Kobi Simmons, or Braxton Blackwell?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Ifyouonlyknew, any chance at De'Aaron Fox, Kobi Simmons, or Braxton Blackwell?

Nope. Don't see us in the game for any of them.

BehindTheScenes
07-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Read today that there's possibly some mutual interest with 5* SG Terrance Ferguson from Dallas, TX. Anyone have info on that?

Coastdog28
07-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks again man. Much appreciated info.

Dog316
07-09-2015, 07:29 PM

It's center guard. The position is most often used then you go really small and run the five guard offense. Thar offense has worked in a number of small schools, mostly 1A.

Covercorner2
07-09-2015, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Dog316;386355]It's center guard. The position is most often used then you go really small and run the five guard offense. Thar offense has worked in a number of small schools, mostly 1A.[/QUOTE

Uhhh.... I think he means a combo guard. As in a guy that can play both the 1 and the 2, like Russell Westbrook or Monta Ellis.

MSUDawg99
07-10-2015, 03:29 PM

SG - Malik Crowfield
Andrew Jones

CG - Tyson Carter

SF - Mario Kegler

PF - Cameron Lard
Brison Gresham

C - James Banks
Schnider Herard

Apparently we just offered this kid. Who knows if anything will come of it. https://twitter.com/PJ247Sports/status/619600089905012736
Mississippi State extends offer to 2016 shooting guard and 247Sports four-star Eli Wright http://247sports.com/Player/Eli-Wright-48785 ?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Apparently we just offered this kid. Who knows if anything will come of it. https://twitter.com/PJ247Sports/status/619600089905012736
Mississippi State extends offer to 2016 shooting guard and 247Sports four-star Eli Wright http://247sports.com/Player/Eli-Wright-48785 ?

The old staff had offered him but now Howland & crew have reaffirmed the offer. He's had a great week of ball. He got 4 offers today just in the last hour. He & Aric Holman were AAU teammates. There was talk earlier in the spring of him making a visit this summer. We'll see if that visit happens. If we can get a kid on campus I put our staff up against anybody.

messageboardsuperhero
07-10-2015, 03:41 PM
The old staff had offered him but now Howland & crew have reaffirmed the offer. He's had a great week of ball. He got 4 offers today just in the last hour. He & Aric Holman were AAU teammates. There was talk earlier in the spring of him making a visit this summer. We'll see if that visit happens. If we can get a kid on campus I put our staff up against anybody.

Yep, he and Holman know eachother really well, so we have an in with him.

MSUDawg99
07-10-2015, 03:44 PM

Yep, he and Holman know eachother really well, so we have an in with him.

Oh that's great news. Cool. Thanks!

I tried to do a double "reply with quote" like I've seen others do but I don't know how apparently. It didn't work.