PDA

View Full Version : Austin Nichols - Memphis B-Ball Transfer

Big4Dawg
07-07-2015, 04:59 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/07/report-austin-nichols-looking-to-transfer-from-memphis/

Really wish we had a scholarship. Former 5* player.

C222
07-07-2015, 05:02 PM
We will make room if we have to.

MSUDawg99
07-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Just saw on another thread that Oliver Black transferred out so technically I guess we do have a scholly. But is CBH looking at him? Paging IfYouOnlyKnew...

engie
07-07-2015, 05:07 PM
He's not being released to anyone, so as of now, he couldn't go on scholarship for a year anyway.

msstate7
07-07-2015, 05:09 PM
He's not being released to anyone, so as of now, he couldn't go on scholarship for a year anyway.
Wow. That's pretty hard of Memphis

Big4Dawg
07-07-2015, 05:10 PM
He went to Briarcrest - I bet he could pay his own way for a year.

And his family is threatening a lawsuit. Guessing he will get his release.

MaroomerMill
07-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Just saw on another thread that Oliver Black transferred out so technically I guess we do have a scholly. But is CBH looking at him? Paging IfYouOnlyKnew...

If you're CBH why do you not look at Nichols? He supposedly requested his release because of his draft ranking for the NBA which I feel like Howland could easily persuade him on. Nichols also has a good amount of friends enrolled at State fwiw. Briarcrest has always been a school that has sent many kids to state each year from an academic standpoint.

Would be great to get him but I could see some upper tier programs pushing hard for him. But who knows I guess we will have to see what unfolds in the Memphis dumpster fire.

Goat from MSU
07-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Yes it is but Pastner trying to hold on to his job. He loses this kid ,he will be gone after next season.
Wow. That's pretty hard of Memphis

engie
07-07-2015, 05:14 PM
He went to Briarcrest - I bet he could pay his own way for a year.

And his family is threatening a lawsuit. Guessing he will get his release.

Briarcrest gives out schollies to worthwhile athletes, which this guy obviously was as the #2 recruit in Tennessee that year. Not saying they don't have the $$ to take Memphis to task or pay his way for a year -- just saying we can't blindly assume that he does.

MSUDawg99
07-07-2015, 05:15 PM
If you're CBH why do you not look at Nichols? He supposedly requested his release because of his draft ranking for the NBA which I feel like Howland could easily persuade him on. Nichols also has a good amount of friends enrolled at State fwiw. Briarcrest has always been a school that has sent many kids to state each year from an academic standpoint.

Would be great to get him but I could see some upper tier programs pushing hard for him. But who knows I guess we will have to see what unfolds in the Memphis dumpster fire.

No I mean I was askin an honest question...do we know if Howland is looking at him? I have no idea. That's why I was paging IYOK. Ha. He'd probly know if anyone did.

messageboardsuperhero
07-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Former 5* big man? Hopefully we go after him and make some room.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Right now we don't have a scholarship but if he was granted a release & he was interested I'm sure we'd make arrangements. Until he's released it's all guessing.

whosyourdawgy
07-07-2015, 06:02 PM
ok but this would be another transfer that sits out a season correct?

engie
07-07-2015, 06:06 PM
ok but this would be another transfer that sits out a season correct?

Yes. In a position that we've got a lot of senior depth in...

Quaoarsking
07-07-2015, 06:08 PM

That one's already been accounted for.

We had 12 on scholarship last year, and lost Johnson and Bloodman to graduation, and Black and Dunlap to transfer.

We added Newman, Weatherspoon, Holman, and Strugg as freshman, and Stapleton as a transfer. That's 5, so we're up to 13.

I'm sure we could make room for this guy if he wants in, of course, but we don't currently have a spot for him.

BeardoMSU
07-07-2015, 06:13 PM
If this were to happen, would Ndoye be next on the block?

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-07-2015, 06:23 PM

I've seen him in Starkville multiple times, so he knows MSU pretty well I assume.

RDawg90
07-07-2015, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him have to go somewhere on his own dime… If Memphis refuses to budge, which I'm not sure why they would considering its almost time for school to start, what else is he going to do? If he sues, or appeals, that would drag on into basketball season. If he's trying to get to the NBA this year, he can't be missing games because he's in a pissing war against an old school.

messageboardsuperhero
07-07-2015, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him have to go somewhere on his own dime… If Memphis refuses to budge, which I'm not sure why they would considering its almost time for school to start, what else is he going to do? If he sues, or appeals, that would drag on into basketball season. If he's trying to get to the NBA this year, he can't be missing games because he's in a pissing war against an old school.

From the school's perspective, I don't see why you would even want to force someone to stay on your team when he clearly doesn't want to be there.

RDawg90
07-07-2015, 06:58 PM
From the school's perspective, I don't see why you would even want to force someone to stay on your team when he clearly doesn't want to be there.

I don't think they want to force him to stay there, but Memphis has to protect Memphis in this whole thing. You can't have your best player jumping ship ONE MONTH before school starts. If they knew Nichols was leaving last March, you'd have plenty of time to find a replacement. Nichols leaving now, without a good excuse (He may have one, who knows), absolutely screws Memphis in every aspect.

codeDawg
07-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Right now we don't have a scholarship but if he was granted a release & he was interested I'm sure we'd make arrangements. Until he's released it's all guessing.

If AN wants a spot, I'm sure he gets a spot. We have plenty of guys we can process. That kid is a sure fire NBA talent. To your point though, who knows if he wants it and if he is released.

DancingRabbit
07-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Supposedly he tweeted something like "looking forward to this season" 2-3 weeks ago. Then turned in a request for release about a week ago. He hasn't met face to face with Pastner which is one reason for no release.

If he meets with Pastner he will probably get a release but with some teams blocked though. Would be a good get if we can.

Dawg61
07-07-2015, 10:30 PM
If he pays his own way next year does that mean he's immediately eligible?

engie
07-07-2015, 10:32 PM
No. Still has to sit a year.

Maroonthirteen
07-07-2015, 10:38 PM
I know a guy that knows him.... Nichols really liked Tennessee out of HS. Not sure if that is still the case but....

Vinsanity
07-07-2015, 11:18 PM
I'd be truly shocked if he decided to come to State. If we would have gotten Nick King when he was looking to transfer then we may have had a better shot at Nichols.

codeDawg
07-08-2015, 06:27 AM
I know a guy that knows him.... Nichols really liked Tennessee out of HS. Not sure if that is still the case but....

The odds have to be In UT's favor right now.

MSUDawg99
07-08-2015, 10:21 AM
That one's already been accounted for.

We had 12 on scholarship last year, and lost Johnson and Bloodman to graduation, and Black and Dunlap to transfer.

We added Newman, Weatherspoon, Holman, and Strugg as freshman, and Stapleton as a transfer. That's 5, so we're up to 13.

I'm sure we could make room for this guy if he wants in, of course, but we don't currently have a spot for him.

Crap. Nevermind. This whole time I had Black confused with someone else. This is old news. My apologies. You're right.

Dawg61
07-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Nichols is a beast!! He's better than Kasongo who UT already signed. I hope Howland is after him.

https://youtu.be/Hu1_kGANyHA

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
I think this episode is going to be a long drawn out process if he's determined to leave. Memphis isn't going to back down on this & I really can't say I blame them.

Dawg61
07-08-2015, 02:30 PM
I think this episode is going to be a long drawn out process if he's determined to leave. Memphis isn't going to back down on this & I really can't say I blame them.

I am curious what Howland is seeing in Ndoye? I would assume that if Nichols chose us it would be Ndoye left out but maybe not. Is Ndoye working his ass off or something? Oh and this is going to be Pastner's last year at Memphis. Sounds like a mess over there right now. Memphis thinks they are Syracuse in basketball so bye bye Josh.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 02:42 PM
I am curious what Howland is seeing in Ndoye? I would assume that if Nichols chose us it would be Ndoye left out but maybe not. Is Ndoye working his ass off or something? Oh and this is going to be Pastner's last year at Memphis. Sounds like a mess over there right now. Memphis thinks they are Syracuse in basketball so bye bye Josh.

Right now Howland sees that Ndoye is here. That's the biggest thing he's here & doing what is asked of him. Fans think that he chose Ndoye over Black but that's not true. Black got himself out of here. Something that is a positive on Fallou is that he is up to 240lbs. Baby steps. If Fallou can just give us a few minutes a half like Marcus Campbell used to do I'd consider that a win for the squad.

Dawg61
07-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Right now Howland sees that Ndoye is here. That's the biggest thing he's here & doing what is asked of him. Fans think that he chose Ndoye over Black but that's not true. Black got himself out of here. Something that is a positive on Fallou is that he is up to 240lbs. Baby steps. If Fallou can just give us a few minutes a half like Marcus Campbell used to do I'd consider that a win for the squad.

Campbell almost single handily beat Duke in his final game so I'd be fine with that. He was better than people give him credit for.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Campbell almost single handily beat Duke in his final game so I'd be fine with that. He was better than people give him credit for.

He became a player that could get you 6pts & 6reb by his Sr year. His Soph year he avg 3 & 2 in 8min. I just think Fallou can do that.

MaroomerMill
07-09-2015, 05:49 AM
Tennessee seems like the likely landing spot for him IMO. However here is another take on the situation. Not quite sure how much of this article I believe but you have to think this has some validity to it. Pulled this link from the Memphis Tigers message board wanted to pass along for those interested: https://zacharytthomas.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/austin-nichols-and-the-memphis-tigers/