PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Kellenberger: Tunsil situation Complex and open to interpretation..

fishwater99
07-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Really...

"In this era of Internet hot-takery, columnists are always supposed to be armed with strong opinions (substituting volume of voice for reason and facts when necessary). But you deserve more than that, so fair warning here: We'll talk about Ole Miss left tackle Laremy Tunsil and the complexities of his current situation, but there's no need to rush to judgment. There's simply too much we do not yet know, or can verify beyond reasonable doubt."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/07/07/kellenberger-tunsil-situation-complex-open-interpretation/29805107/

PassInterference
07-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Well of course this is what comes out...

Kellenberger's defense article.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/07/07/kellenberger-tunsil-situation-complex-open-interpretation/29805107/

Funny how he excuses himself from professionalism, starting off like this:

In this era of Internet hot-takery, columnists are always supposed to be armed with strong opinions (substituting volume of voice for reason and facts when necessary). But you deserve more than that, so fair warning here

How serious is this for Ole Miss?

Should Lindsey Miller's claims ? that university representatives made illegal gifts, that academic records were falsified and that agents (or their own representatives) have provided Tunsil with a steady stream of even more gifts ? prove to be true and prove-able in whole or part, it's a suboptimal situation for Ole Miss to say the least.

Suboptimal. Way to go out on a limb there. More accurately, way to diffuse.

Let's get right down to it. Who's going to be disappointed in the outcome?

Yet it's also unlikely (for reasons we'll get to a minute) to be the type of situation that wrecks the program for years, which is what many Mississippi State fans are hoping for these days.

I'd like to know how Kellenberger gauges opinion. I've seen barely any MSU fans who think Ole Miss is in deep shit over this. Most think Ole Miss will skate or get a wrist slap. (Tunsil, on the other hand might have played his last college game)

Tell us, Hugh-Kell, why did all this come up?

Maybe Ole Miss just upset the natural order of things by securing a string of high-profile players that it's not "supposed" to sign, and its upset rivals keep on bringing it up.

Ah, yes. Its those damn State fans that brought this to light. It wasn't at all Ole Miss sleeping in the bed they made for themselves. Some rival came along and shit in it!

What's the prognosis, Hugh-Kell?

Still, why I remain skeptical that anything much will come of this is more of a reflection of the NCAA's lack of investigative teeth in these matters. It'll largely come down to what of Miller's allegations he can prove, and if Delbert Hosemann and the Mississippi Secretary of State's office gets interested.

Care to shed opinion on what Miller might be able to prove? Of course not. Did you talk to your buddy Blevins who says Miller was involved in Tunsil's recruitment and was privy to where all the dead bodies are? Of course not.

Miami turned its back on Nevin Shapiro, and he told Yahoo Sports all about the gifts he provided to dozens of Hurricanes players. But despite Shapiro literally tattling on himself, Miami escaped with only minor penalties that involved the loss of a few scholarships and probation. Yawn

Yawn (lack of punctuation after "yawn" is noted)? Maybe that's what Kellenberger meant by excusing himself from professionalism. Or maybe it was this:

But the fact it allowed schools from the power five conferences to at least partially splinter off and start making their own rules was a tell, and I'd venture until proven otherwise the NCAA is more interested in March Madness TV dollars and protecting itself against lawsuits that allege it has exploited amateur athletes than anything else.

Anybody know what an "allege" is?

Did Kellenberger fire this off between biscuits this morning? It reads like off-the-cuff message board fodder.

engie
07-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Funny, he wasn't chasing any such professionalism when he wrote this little hit piece last fall.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/07/16/kellenberger-heisman-talk-just-july-talk/12719069/

32 Dive
07-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I expected this on Monday. What took him so long?

JDog13
07-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Where was Killinburgers story on OM fans rejoicing over our probation. You know, the one where an OM alum gave a state commit a discount on a pos. Whatevs.

Thick
07-07-2015, 10:32 AM
The dude maximizes his dumbassery and his hypocrisy with every key stroke. Complete OM defender to the end, not one bit of journalistic integrity in any of his pieces!!

ShotgunDawg
07-07-2015, 10:35 AM
It's pretty sad when people lose their perspective & that's what has happened to Kellenberger. This is a pathetic article that seems to openly be cheering for cheaters to not be punished on the basis of political correctness.

What a spineless article.

Thompson92
07-07-2015, 10:37 AM
His moral defense is just "The NCAA has no power, so we won't be punished very severely." Sadly, I think he's correct about the punishment. Prove me wrong, NCAA. Show some teeth.

Every time I read this dude's columns, I come away less intelligent than before.

shoeless joe
07-07-2015, 10:49 AM
If that was his actual writing then it is grammatically terrible.

EAVdog
07-07-2015, 10:56 AM
He's trying to calm the OM folks who are probably calling for his head and the head of Mr Blevins. Nothing more.

maroonmania
07-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Love how Kellenberger injects an MSU reference into his article even though MSU and its fans have absolutely NOTHING to do with this situation.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I'd like to see a story from Kellenberger on if Tunsil and his girlfriend are still together...
In addition to the 800 Facebook messages to Tunsil, there were another 400 or so to Tunsil’s girlfriend. By the time Tunsil confided to Kiffin that Ole Miss was in the top three, with an official recruiting visit to Oxford still to go, Kiffin said he had a good idea what would happen on signing day.

“A lot of coaches have (staff) guys run their Facebooks, but I wanted it to be like if you’re texting somebody,” Kiffin said. “I asked about his family. A lot of it is daily motivational. There’s a target on your back. Good luck against whomever. It’s just striking up conversation.”

LC Dawg
07-07-2015, 11:19 AM
So the C-L Rebel beat writer comes out with damning info on Ole Miss and the C-L columnist writes a rebuttal? How screwed up is that?

Kellenberger also had this to say on twitter yesterday in regards to Michigan switching from Adidas to Nike.
"Every time this happens Mississippi State moves up the Adidas priority list. Debatable if that's a good thing."

Why does he have such a hard on for Mississippi State? Did Mullen screw his inflatable wife?

sandwolf
07-07-2015, 12:43 PM
"Every time this happens Mississippi State moves up the Adidas priority list. Debatable if that's a good thing."

Out of curiosity, what is the potential downside of being towards the top of the Adidas priority list?

messageboardsuperhero
07-07-2015, 12:47 PM
and its upset rivals keep on bringing it up.

I'm still failing to see what MSU/Elitedawgs talking about Tunsil and #TheNetwork has to do with any of this, but okay. Continue to blame MSU for something that has nothing to do with MSU- instead of understanding what's really going on here.

messageboardsuperhero
07-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Where was Killinburgers story on OM fans rejoicing over our probation. You know, the one where an OM alum gave a state commit a discount on a pos. Whatevs.

Here's what I find funny. When the Will Redmond story broke, UM people didn't stop talking about it for weeks. When the Tunsil story broke, naturally MSU fans are talking about it- as are the fans of Georgia and pretty much every other SEC school.

mic
07-07-2015, 01:01 PM
So the C-L Rebel beat writer comes out with damning info on Ole Miss and the C-L columnist writes a rebuttal? How screwed up is that?

Kellenberger also had this to say on twitter yesterday in regards to Michigan switching from Adidas to Nike.

Why does he have such a hard on for Mississippi State? Did Mullen screw his inflatable wife?

And UMiss moves down in the Nike priority list....

Maroonthirteen
07-07-2015, 01:36 PM
I like how he only mentions Mississippi State fans but fails to mention UGA and UT fans.

ShotgunDawg
07-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Looks like Kellenberger is taunting the NCAA here.

Perhaps this article should be emailed to them.

fishwater99
07-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Looks like Kellenberger is taunting the NCAA here.

Perhaps this article should be emailed to them.

Paging Dawgbreeze...

Spiderman
07-07-2015, 06:02 PM
And UMiss moves down in the Nike priority list....

+1