PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg quandary

Prediction? Pain.
07-06-2015, 08:12 AM
For years, I've been smoking and grilling on a plain old 22" Weber kettle grill. I use a Smokenator (http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/smokenator_tips.html) for the smoking, and have had consistently great results. Temperature control can be an issue on occasion, and it's not the kind of set up that will let me leave it unattended overnight or even for more than a few hours. But otherwise, I have no real complaints.

The other day, I was offered a lightly used, large Big Green Egg for $600. I think it retails new for around $850.

Any of y'all with BGE experience feel like sharing your thoughts? And is $600 fair for a used BGE, assuming the condition is indeed excellent as I've been told?

To give you context, I smoke much more than I grill, but even then, I don't do it every weekend. I typically smoke pork shoulders or briskets, though I do poultry and fish as well. Never had a problem with space on the Weber, whether I'm cooking just for my family (of 3) or for a group of people.

Johnson85
07-07-2015, 06:47 PM
If the egg is not cracked and there no rust on the hinges or grate or other parts, there's really not any differ between new and used. Don't know if it's a fair price compared to other used eggs, but I'd certainly do that before laying retail.

The space on the egg, even the large one isn't anything to write home about. Sounds like the main thing you will like if you get it is it's fairly easy to get a stable temperature where you can leave it for a few hours at a time.

Prediction? Pain.
07-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning away from pulling the trigger. I'm sure they're nice. Everyone I know that has one raves about the results they get. But I'm pretty pleased with my setup right now, even if it's a bit janky by comparison.

BeastMan
07-09-2015, 09:17 PM
I have a friend who is a Cajun cooker certified dealer, similar to bge, and he says just save your money and go with the weber. Seriously. If you have the disposable income, I say go for it. The more cool toys the better imo