PDA

View Full Version : Fun Places in Starkville that went out of business.

SouthernmostDawg
07-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi, I am looking for a list of places that are not open anymore that everyone liked. It could be a bar or restaurant or even something like a bowling alley, roller rink, etc..

BeardoMSU
07-05-2015, 02:18 PM
A couple bars through the years....
Polywogs (sp?)
Halfway House
Roxy's
Cheers

Barkman Turner Overdrive
07-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Flo and Eddie's

BeardoMSU
07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Grumpy's, which is still a mystery too me. Their BBQ nachos were pretty amazing. Plus they had cheap beer....

Bob Sacamano
07-05-2015, 02:26 PM
The Boar's Head

Political Hack
07-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Flo and Eddie's

I'd like some cheese sticks please.

Strange first post. I feel like we're doing research for someone.

thf24
07-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Grumpy's, which is still a mystery too me. Their BBQ nachos were pretty amazing. Plus they had cheap beer....

Second this one. The service was always up and down, but the food was good, beer was cheap as hell, and I really liked the atmosphere.

Jacksondevildog
07-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Humphrey Coliseum was fun until it closed three years ago. I'm glad to see that it is reopening this fall.

FlabLoser
07-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Cheers. Closest bar/club to campus. Famous 911 cocktail. Totally ripped off the logo from the Cheers TV show.

Bullsy
07-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Mulligan's

Bullsy
07-05-2015, 02:42 PM
The Landing

AFDawg
07-05-2015, 02:46 PM
What was the coffee shop in the Hotel Chester? I liked it a lot.

It was no Strange Brew, though.

MafiaDawg
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
State theatre. The original Grill. Mugshots as a bar. Whiskey blues. Bulldog deli. The pub. Mexico tipico. Big daddy's. Spankys. Up your alley. Rock bottom.

coastratdog
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Lakeside Drive In. Oh yea.

Political Hack
07-05-2015, 02:51 PM
The Landing

you mean the crossroads? "Six pack of southpaw to go please"

Political Hack
07-05-2015, 02:53 PM
State theatre. The original Grill. Mugshots as a bar. Whiskey blues. Bulldog deli. The pub. Mexico tipico. Big daddy's. Spankys. Up your alley. Rock bottom.

Strong list: Tipico was good. I still can't believe Bulldog Deli is gone. they should've just done a 2nd Grill and kept the original one too.

State Theatre was fun too.

War Machine Dawg
07-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Second this one. The service was always up and down, but the food was good, beer was cheap as hell, and I really liked the atmosphere.

Had someone explain to me why recently, but I've already forgotten the details. But the gist is that it closed for non-business reasons. It was doing well financially.

Ralph
07-05-2015, 02:56 PM
House of Kong... Best Chinese evar

starkvegasdawg
07-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Story I heard was that too high of a percentage of the staff were meth heads and that issues surrounding that led to the business' failure. I will say the last couple times I ate there the food had gone down dramatically. My baked beans were cold, the buns had gone from those gourmet rolls to loaf bread and my order of onion rings was three rings.

Drewbowski
07-05-2015, 02:59 PM
I was thinking Flo and Eddie's didn't go out of business as much as it burned down

War Machine Dawg
07-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Story I heard was that too high of a percentage of the staff were meth heads and that issues surrounding that led to the business' failure. I will say the last couple times I ate there the food had gone down dramatically. My baked beans were cold, the buns had gone from those gourmet rolls to loaf bread and my order of onion rings was three rings.

That's what I was told. Knew if someone else posted the details it would come back to me.

coastratdog
07-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Was it the Pizza King that had checkered table cloths and cut the pizza in squares. Anyway, great pizza and atmosphere but alas, no beer.

Dallas_Dawg
07-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Good food good food good food lotsa fun lotsa fun at Wasson's.
Place wasn't that great but I remember that annoying ass commercial

Bullsy
07-05-2015, 03:12 PM
I was thinking Flo and Eddie's didn't go out of business as much as it burned down

Twice

Barkman Turner Overdrive
07-05-2015, 03:15 PM

Chicken. Egg.

jbjones
07-05-2015, 03:21 PM

And now it's going to be a brewery, so it's got that going for it !

And, yeah, definitely Flo and Eddies...Cheers...dang... had good times at those joints.

SallyStansbury
07-05-2015, 03:28 PM
Hi, I am looking for a list of places that are not open anymore that everyone liked. It could be a bar or restaurant or even something like a bowling alley, roller rink, etc..

Blue Chef: in building where ReMax is.
That place was yummy; ahead of his time.

Sonnys BBQ: 16th section Rd. he passed away.

Savannah Lake: fish house in Webster CO.

Greek Island/Jack Salmon Fish House/Grumpy's: that place is cursed.

Ptolemy's.

Fleets Eats...damn.

hailmari
07-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Owner of Grumpy's died, I believe. I always thought that exact place/atmosphere would be great in the district.

Halfway House was my go-to bar for several years. State Theater was a blast, thankfully the building is at least open again (Dawghouse, which btw had surprisingly good food the one time I went).

MafiaDawg
07-05-2015, 03:38 PM
A few more. Billy's the gas station. Gourmets. Oktoc grill. The state fountain bakery. Savvy grape. Dogwood golf course (even though the rest of the neighborhood is complete crap)

BrunswickDawg
07-05-2015, 03:56 PM
you mean the crossroads? "Six pack of southpaw to go please"
I thought Crossroads and The Landing were 2 different places (at least in early 90s), but beers may cloud my memory.

2 for me - Mac's Supper Club
and "The Club" in Columbus

BulldogDX55
07-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Had someone explain to me why recently, but I've already forgotten the details. But the gist is that it closed for non-business reasons. It was doing well financially.

As someone who was a server there up until about a month before it closed, let me address some rumors-

1. The day shift was indeed full of meth heads. The night shift was normal college people. Neither shift liked the other- the day shift never did their side work, so **** them.

2. There was a ton of broken equipment in the kitchen that the owner just didn't care to replace. The last sunday shift I worked had a single functioning fryer (out of four), leading to situations like people waiting an hour for appetizers.

3. Management turned over about 3 times in the 6 months I worked there. The continuity made things hard on the rest of the staff because each manager wanted drastic changes to the menu that usually weren't good.

4. Someone who was passed over for the manager position in the last turnover started actively sabotaging food out of spite.

5. Too much focus on live music on days/nights when it wouldn't be advised. You don't hire music to play on the stage in front of the only screen when people came to watch the NFL and drink cheap beer.

6. I cannot confirm, but I also heard that the owner just didn't give a damn.

I wish it was still open. Best paying job I had during my undergrad tenure, and the Alamo nachos and $1.50 pitcher couldn't be beaten.

dickiedawg
07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Well, you mentioned bowing alleys and that's a good example. Just up and closed, though I understand there were some issues with the owner unrelated to Bulldog Lanes.

Jean Cafe is another great restaurant that closed up shop. The food was wonderful but the lady would absolutely talk your ears off.

SapperDawg
07-05-2015, 04:15 PM
In the early 90's they served chicken in the gas station that is now Strange Brew - had many bags of that late night chow. There was also an after bar spot - and they closed at midnight then - at the corner of 82 and 389 that had greasy burgers and other fried things. It closed when Krystal opened, and turned into a cleaner I think. Can't recall the names of either of these.

There was also a bar in the hotel behind the old Burger King, which was the first place I used my fake id.

SapperDawg
07-05-2015, 04:17 PM
I thought Crossroads and The Landing were 2 different places (at least in early 90s), but beers may cloud my memory.

Correct - the landing and the crossroads were two different spots.

Spiderman
07-05-2015, 04:20 PM

The House of Death at 2am, The original District Grill, the Drive-In theater, the Landing, Doug's at the crossroads, Bulldog Deli, the Original Christie's with the unlevel floor, Bully III, Choice's (the Bar in the University Inn) on crawfish night, and last because it's the most important, moment of silence for Mack's Western Supper Club.

GreenheadDawg
07-05-2015, 04:45 PM

Ha wow. that really takes me back. I had forgotten about that damn commercial

BrunswickDawg
07-05-2015, 04:48 PM
In the early 90's they served chicken in the gas station that is now Strange Brew - had many bags of that late night chow. There was also an after bar spot - and they closed at midnight then - at the corner of 82 and 389 that had greasy burgers and other fried things. It closed when Krystal opened, and turned into a cleaner I think. Can't recall the names of either of these.

There was also a bar in the hotel behind the old Burger King, which was the first place I used my fake id.

Sapper - I think we were in Vegas at the same time. I think Strange Brew was called Corkys?? The Tater Babies with that chicken was the bomb. Was the other place you are thinking of Allgoods?

Mjoelner34
07-05-2015, 05:08 PM
J.C. Garcia's. Terrible food but a helluva party with live music 6 nights a week on the indoor patio.

Mjoelner34
07-05-2015, 05:11 PM
..... There was also a bar in the hotel behind the old Burger King, which was the first place I used my fake id.

Toby Nash's? Before that it was Choice's which moved to where Rick's is.

SapperDawg
07-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Sapper - I think we were in Vegas at the same time. I think Strange Brew was called Corkys?? The Tater Babies with that chicken was the bomb. Was the other place you are thinking of Allgoods?

That's it! Corkeys and Allgoods.

SapperDawg
07-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Toby Nash's? Before that it was Choice's which moved to where Rick's is.

Toby Nash's....good call.

I seem to recall one other place out hwy 12 where Remington's is/was. It had a huge bar that ran the length of the place.

RBritt
07-05-2015, 05:25 PM
The Blue Marlin.

MafiaDawg
07-05-2015, 05:38 PM
The bowling alley closed? Wasn't it owned by the hunt club? How do you mess that up being the only one in a college town.

BrunswickDawg
07-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Toby Nash's....good call.

I seem to recall one other place out hwy 12 where Remington's is/was. It had a huge bar that ran the length of the place.

Mulligans

Howboutdemdogs
07-05-2015, 06:08 PM
The Landing, or as it was in the early 80's; The H L Ding. Letters were missing from the sign and never replaced.

Spiderman
07-05-2015, 06:18 PM

Before it was Allgood's (All-Bads in our nomenclature) it was the House of Barbeque aka The House of Death. Only place open to eat after midnight in those days except Be Sick Chicken gas stations. There were 2 Be Sick's. Only place to get Penthouse and Penthouse Forums also.

MabenMaroon
07-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Met my wife at The Club on the river in Columbus and we spent more than a few fun nights in Tuesdays ( where the Columbus Harvey's is now ). Both places could be fairly hopping Thursday through Saturday night.
Somebody mentioned the Greek Island where Grumpys/Jack Salmon's were located, that place had one the best gyros you could find anywhere. would eat two or three of those babies every week ( that is when I had the money to spare )

Liverpooldawg
07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I don't know about fun but the Green Derby had a great plate lunch back in the early 80s.

BrunswickDawg
07-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Met my wife at The Club on the river in
Ha! I'm another member of the "I met my wife at The Club" Club. Been together 24 years now.

Spiderman
07-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Ha! I'm another member of the "I met my wife at The Club" Club. Been together 24 years now.

I truly know a guy that met his wife of 20 some years at Mack"s. I'd say the odds of that are incalculable.

LC Dawg
07-05-2015, 07:19 PM

I used to love to go by Allgoods late night for a burger and cheese sticks. I thought they were great but it was probably just the alcohol.

TopDog58
07-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Mr. Cook!

jbjones
07-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Love this thread...the memories....the stories. Great!

Liverpooldawg
07-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Mr. Cook!

Best bacon cheeseburger EVER!

Political Hack
07-05-2015, 08:04 PM
I thought the landing was the crossroads in the 80's, but that was before my time. It was the landing when I was around.

Flo & Eddies, Cheers, and the State Theatre are probably the three I miss the most.

MabenMaroon
07-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Met there in '80, married in 82, will celebrate our 33rd anniversary 09/04

sleepy dawg
07-05-2015, 08:35 PM
All the Music (CD/Cassette) stores... BeBop was the bomb.

The old China Garden before they expanded. Their food was once good.

I do miss Polywogs, and the campus Bakery. The campus bakery is where I developed my coffee addiction and did a lot of studying that I probably otherwise would've blown off.

Saltydog
07-05-2015, 08:38 PM
nt

jbjones
07-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I remember Polywogs as Good Times.

Anyway, nice place to drink, shoot pool and generally do nothing for cheap. And it was close to my shit-hole apartment.

-JB

Schultzy
07-05-2015, 09:18 PM
The Landing at 10; The Club (200yards past the Old River Bridge in Columbus) at 12; Macs's at 2:00; House of Death at 3:30.

SheltonChoked
07-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Brunswick strange brew was Woody's when we were there. Same owners as Strange Brew, slightly different market.

I'll add mine:

Flo and Eddie's
The Cotton district Grill ( moved to become Toby Nash's)
Cheers
Christies
Bully III
Bulldog deli
El Sombreo
The Peruvian place where El Sombreo was
Danver's
Backyard Burgers

A Few more from a personal level. More nostalgia than fun:

Richey's
The pizza place that was in the good times building
The landing
Mulligans

Starkville discount drugs
Gun Dog
Woody's
The old MAFES store ( yeah the new one is great too, but the old one was way cheaper, but more like Costco. Had to get IceCream in the 3.5 gallon size only, yogurt in quarts,etc.)

Dallas_Dawg
07-05-2015, 09:31 PM
I couldn't imagine how many DUIs would be given out if all the bars were in Lowndes county. They already hand them out like speeding tickets now

Bullsy
07-05-2015, 09:48 PM
It took 60 posts for someone to finally mention KRYSTALS!!

BrunswickDawg
07-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I couldn't imagine how many DUIs would be given out if all the bars were in Lowndes county. They already hand them out like speeding tickets now

Well, times were different. DUIs were not as prevelant and were almost a right of passage. Underage was nit as big of deal either. Hell, I knew a couple of guys who were 6th year Srs that had been in school when the drinking age was still 19.

LeakyD
07-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Well, times were different. DUIs were not as prevelant and were almost a right of passage. Underage was nit as big of deal either. Hell, I knew a couple of guys who were 6th year Srs that had been in school when the drinking age was still 19.

I had a bunch of friends that got DUI's in the late 80's and early to mid 90's. You're right, it didn't carry the stigma that it does now. I had a roommate that had his DUI classroom certificate framed and hanging on the wall of his room.

Smitty
07-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Quincy's
Shoney's
Pre-Aramark Perry Cafeteria
24-7 Starkville Cafe

aerodawg
07-05-2015, 10:24 PM
The bowling alley closed? Wasn't it owned by the hunt club? How do you mess that up being the only one in a college town.

From what I understand, the owner died that had both of those and they kept the Hunt Club going but the bowling alley has been shutdown while the estate is worked out. Cannot confirm this information is 100% accurate.

starkvegasdawg
07-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Dudy Noble Field.

Thrill1
07-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Danvers - later became Krystal's
Dairy Queen - where Taco Bell is now. Still miffed as to how this happened.
Serendipity - best donuts/bakery in town

blacklistedbully
07-06-2015, 03:50 AM
Was it the Pizza King that had checkered table cloths and cut the pizza in squares. Anyway, great pizza and atmosphere but alas, no beer.

Are you thinking of Papa Leone's? Frat brother of mine bought that place in the early 80's. But they most definitely had beer. I would know, I drank a lot of it!

ETA, and another of my frat brothers owned Bulldog Deli. We ate well back then. Still crave those multi-meat, steam-pressed Pita-bread sandwiches. He went on to great success owning a restaurant conglomerate, I believe.

SapperDawg
07-06-2015, 04:25 AM

I used to love chilli dog day at Perry. Two dogs served with a side of attitude.

Ralph
07-06-2015, 05:14 AM
Serendipity donuts was legit. That's also where House of Kong was for a while.

Lot of Flo & Eddys memories... My buddy and I were a house band there for a couple years. We played there on a Tuesday night and burned down on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. We always heard the owner was shady but our experience with him he was a complete professional and never welched on a deal.

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Quincy's
Shoney's
24-7 Starkville Cafe
Wait - they 17'd up Food at Perry???
Was always the best breakfast in town. But those omelet ladies had no sense of humor at all.

dparker
07-06-2015, 08:48 AM
There was also an after bar spot - and they closed at midnight then - at the corner of 82 and 389 that had greasy burgers and other fried things. It closed when Krystal opened, and turned into a cleaner I think. Can't recall the names of either of these.

Allgood's is the place you were thinking. The food wan't stellar but it was sure open at the right time.

ConkyMSU
07-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Well, you mentioned bowing alleys and that's a good example. Just up and closed, though I understand there were some issues with the owner unrelated to Bulldog Lanes.

Jean Cafe is another great restaurant that closed up shop. The food was wonderful but the lady would absolutely talk your ears off.

Jean's Cafe has turned into Two Brothers. Significant upgrade.

tcdog70
07-06-2015, 09:11 AM
I truly know a guy that met his wife of 20 some years at Mack"s. I'd say the odds of that are incalculable.

Mack is stlll playing music at the Sparta Opry

tcdog70
07-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Len Lews

Mug and Cone

Coleman's Bar B que

The Southernaire--before it was the CLUB

Bob's--in Columbus

Eckels

Oak Ridge Grocery

shannondawg
07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Bet no one on here remembers Thompson's and their burger baskets?

Barking 13
07-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Met my wife at The Club on the river in Columbus and we spent more than a few fun nights in Tuesdays ( where the Columbus Harvey's is now ). Both places could be fairly hopping Thursday through Saturday night.

I was a bartender and weekend DJ at Tuesdays 78-79

Barking 13
07-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Len Lews

Mug and Cone

Coleman's Bar B que

Bob's--in Columbus

Eckels

Oak Ridge Grocery

Old timer.... lol I was right there... I had a couple keg parties at Echols field that were historic...

BeardoMSU
07-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Jean's Cafe has turned into Two Brothers. Significant upgrade.

Yup. I was never a fan of Jean's Cafe. She was a nice lady, but talked waaay too much, more often than not at the expense of timely service.

dickiedawg
07-06-2015, 11:08 AM
I'll have to give 2 Brothers another shot. The time I went, nothing about it was an upgrade over much of anything.

dickiedawg
07-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Wait - they 17'd up Food at Perry???
Was always the best breakfast in town. But those omelet ladies had no sense of humor at all.

Yeah, it went to Aramark in around 08(?). Went to all-you-can-eat all day (instead of just at supper) and was just too expensive. I don't know how it impacted the food quality- the couple of times I went the food was fine.

Freshman year, on a meal plan, Perry contributed in a big way to my Freshman 15 (or 40, but who's counting?)

ConkyMSU
07-06-2015, 11:55 AM
I like the food, but mainly considered it an upgrade because it adds another spot to drink in the district.

Dawgbite
07-06-2015, 12:11 PM
We would always start at Bonnie And Clydes and when it closed we would go to The Club. After it closed, we would hit The 45 Club. Surely someone on here has " Shook their Hiney at The Half A Ninety" ? Met my wife at Bonnie and Clyde's or maybe it was called Classix by then but we did go to the Club that night, 26 years last april.

drunkernhelldawg
07-06-2015, 12:44 PM
I thought the landing was the crossroads in the 80's, but that was before my time. It was the landing when I was around.

Flo & Eddies, Cheers, and the State Theatre are probably the three I miss the most.

The Landing was The Triangle Club. Len Lews was where The Pony is now. The Crossroads was the bar at the corner of 82 and 45 alt.

drunkernhelldawg
07-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Are you thinking of Papa Leone's? Frat brother of mine bought that place in the early 80's. But they most definitely had beer. I would know, I drank a lot of it!

ETA, and another of my frat brothers owned Bulldog Deli. We ate well back then. Still crave those multi-meat, steam-pressed Pita-bread sandwiches. He went on to great success owning a restaurant conglomerate, I believe.

That was Pizza King. It's just west of St. Joseph Catholic Church hall on Uni. Drive.

TUSK
07-06-2015, 12:48 PM
We would always start at Bonnie And Clydes and when it closed we would go to The Club. After it closed, we would hit The 45 Club. Surely someone on here has " Shook their Hiney at The Half A Ninety" ? Met my wife at Bonnie and Clyde's or maybe it was called Classix by then but we did go to the Club that night, 26 years last april.

ahhhh, the "half of 90".... it burned...

nice.

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Classix - the funniest thing about that place was the old disco era "Mothership" that was hanging from the ceiling. I always wanted them to crank that thing up and see what happened.

Dawg61
07-06-2015, 01:32 PM
The Boar's Head

This!! $5 Pickled Pigs and free shots during the MSU song. Place was fun as hell for one semester and then winter happened. Boar's Head was were I tried to do a shot contest with Quentin Culbertson. Bad idea. He was fine after twenty shots. I was a mess! Haha thanks Bob Sacamano

blacklistedbully
07-06-2015, 01:52 PM
That was Pizza King. It's just west of St. Joseph Catholic Church hall on Uni. Drive.

I wonder if it's the same place, but changed names? I do remember Papa Leone's did the square cut. Also recall,a s you walked in the front door, there was a room/seating to the right with a big-screen TV playing MTV all the time. MTV was new back then, and really popular.

MStateME13
07-06-2015, 02:00 PM
More recently, me and some buddies would go to Brian Michael's near the Zaxby's on 12 for burgers pretty frequently before he shut it down and started his catering business. Glad he's been able to be successful with the catering, but that was our favorite burger place in town.

fishwater99
07-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Danvers

Dougs
The Landing
Cheers
The Club
Mac's Supper Club

Bully III (Now Daves Darkhorse)

drunkernhelldawg
07-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I wonder if it's the same place, but changed names? I do remember Papa Leone's did the square cut. Also recall,a s you walked in the front door, there was a room/seating to the right with a big-screen TV playing MTV all the time. MTV was new back then, and really popular.

Wasn't it Papa Leone's that became Cheers? Not sure.

ghostofjackie
07-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Flo's: Starkville was never the same
Cheer's: This one was easy
The Boars Head: was an outside bar behind Little D's, Circa 2004-2008
Rosey Baby's: they used to give the entire bar shots when MSU hit a three pointer, this was circa 2003-2005 when MSU actually hit 3's

sleepy dawg
07-06-2015, 02:33 PM
The best thing that happened to me was Cheer's going out of business. I hated that bullshit of a bar.

MedDawg
07-06-2015, 04:12 PM

Mack's Western Supper Club didn't begin our relationship, but her waiting around all night there to drive me home could have ended it. Married 28 years next month.

Dawg Corps
07-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Sonnys BBQ: 16th section Rd. he passed away.

Sonny's was hands down the best BBQ in the entire county.

Fred Garvin
07-06-2015, 04:24 PM
B-Quik Fried Chicken and Potato Logs

I seen it dawg
07-06-2015, 08:59 PM
The best thing that happened to me was Cheer's going out of business. I hated that bullshit of a bar.

You shut your whore mouth!

BeardoMSU
07-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Nonsense! A buddy of mine from high school, who had been at State 4 years before me, was the door man my freshman year, and out of the kindness of his heart, let my underage friends and I all in with wristbands every Thursday night for penny-pitchers. Bless you Matt, bless you....

Churchill
07-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Len Lews

Mug and Cone

Coleman's Bar B que

Bob's--in Columbus

Eckels

Oak Ridge Grocery

Now you`re talking !

FlabLoser
07-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Nonsense! A buddy of mine from high school, who had been at State 4 years before me, was the door man my freshman year, and out of the kindness of his heart, let my underage friends and I all in with wristbands every Thursday night for penny-pitchers. Bless you Matt, bless you....

They used to stamp the hands of people 21 & over. When I was under age, I'd go in with a buddy that was legal. They'd stamp his hand and before the ink was dry I'd press my hand on his stamp and bingo.

BeardoMSU
07-06-2015, 09:27 PM
They used to stamp the hands of people 21 & over. When I was under age, I'd go in with a buddy that was legal. They'd stamp his hand and before the ink was dry I'd press my hand on his stamp and bingo.

Nice, lol!

starkvegasdawg
07-06-2015, 10:50 PM
I'd just go in, grab the stamp, and stamp myself. This was after we paid a reduced or no cover. It was nice to befriend certain people in that establishment. Although that establishment was at least indirectly responsible for my roommate taking the fence out around the natural gas supply for University Commons with my car one night.

BeardoMSU
07-06-2015, 10:57 PM
I'd just go in, grab the stamp, and stamp myself. This was after we paid a reduced or no cover. It was nice to befriend certain people in that establishment. Although that establishment was at least indirectly responsible for my roommate taking the fence out around the natural gas supply for University Commons with my car one night.

That place was the cause of lots of shenanigans, it seems. One night my freshman year, after drinking at Cheers, my roommate that first semester decided to knock over all the garbage cans on every floor in Cresswell. Adding to the situation, our RA always left his room unlocked, and as my roommate had lost his keys, and I wasn't back yet, he decided to pass out on our RA's bed; who was not pleased, to say the least, when he got back that night. That dude didn't last in college very long, lol...

TUSK
07-06-2015, 11:10 PM
When I was at Bammer, a buddy of mine and I decided to drive to Vegas via Columbus to party one night... I yakked in the parking lot before we went in....

we bought a pitcher of beer, only to have an employee come by 10 minutes later, dump it in a bus, and say "you can't drink after 1" (or whatever time it was)...

we didn't party in Vegas after that...

ScottH
07-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Bet no one on here remembers Thompson's and their burger baskets?

Yes if you mean Thompson's Beef House toward the golf course. Also had evening buffet for 5 bucks or so.

My list (and yes I am old):
Quincy's
Danver's
Mr.Cook
Taco Casa

shannondawg
07-07-2015, 07:23 AM
No that was Cy Thomsons steak house, which came much later, I talking 50's. out on old 82. There was a Pan Am station across the road that serves burgers and such as well. They had good business from the traffic to and from the "W" in Columbus.

Yes if you mean Thompson's Beef House toward the golf course. Also had evening buffet for 5 bucks or so.

My list (and yes I am old):
Quincy's
Danver's
Mr.Cook
Taco Casa