PDA

View Full Version : Graveman had another very good performance today........

Saltydog
07-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Kendall Graveman and A's win 2-0, beat Felix Hernandez at the Coliseum for the first time since Sept. 19, 2008. Graveman is 5-2 with 1.78 ERA since May 23. Graveman's streak of allowing 2 runs or fewer in 7 or more IP in 6 straight starts is the longest by a rookie pitcher in Oakland history.

nsvltndog
07-04-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't know the rookie scene in the AL, but he is likely at least putting himself into the discussion for rookie of the year consideration. It's a shame he didn't get to pitch against UCLA in Omaha.

msstate7
07-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Outstanding. Who would've thought that off that '12 team that graveman, not Stratton would be the guy showing out in mlb

Saltydog
07-04-2015, 07:43 PM
nt

shoeless joe
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Outstanding. Who would've thought that off that '12 team that graveman, not Stratton would be the guy showing out in mlb

Chance to toot my own horn here!

Out dueling king Felix is big time for a rookie. Consistency has always been his game and he is showing his stuff since his call back up.

KB21
07-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Chance to toot my own horn here!

Out dueling king Felix is big time for a rookie. Consistency has always been his game and he is showing his stuff since his call back up.

Kendall can really spin the ball and make it sink. His sinker is his key to success. Right now, he's getting a lot of hitters to roll over the top of that sinker.

Here is an article on him that is recent:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kendall-graveman-on-cutters-contact-and-spin-rates/

The SABR guys will look at his K/9 rate and say that he is out pitching his peripherals. I say baloney. He's a sinker ball pitcher that pitches to contact and induces ground ball outs. He's been outstanding, and I don't think this is a guy that the bloom will fall off of anytime soon.

Think about that CWS team in 2013 for a moment.

Kendall Graveman - MLB - 77 IP, 3.16 ERA, 6-4
Jacob Lindgren - AAA - 22 IP, 1.23 ERA, 3 SV, 11.86 K/9
Chad Girodo - A+/AA - 34.2 IP, 1.04 ERA, 1-0, 37 K
Jonathan Holder - A+ - 67.2 IP, 2.53 ERA, 4-2, 55 K
Brandon Woodruff - A+ - 71.0 IP, 4.06 ERA, 1-4, 36 K
Evan Mitchell - A+ - 34.2 IP, 4.15 ERA, 2-0, 28 K

Hunter Renfroe, Brett Pirtle, and Adam Frazier are all in AA ball right now.

shoeless joe
07-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Kendall can really spin the ball and make it sink. His sinker is his key to success. Right now, he's getting a lot of hitters to roll over the top of that sinker.

Here is an article on him that is recent:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kendall-graveman-on-cutters-contact-and-spin-rates/

The SABR guys will look at his K/9 rate and say that he is out pitching his peripherals. I say baloney. He's a sinker ball pitcher that pitches to contact and induces ground ball outs. He's been outstanding, and I don't think this is a guy that the bloom will fall off of anytime soon.

Think about that CWS team in 2013 for a moment.

Kendall Graveman - MLB - 77 IP, 3.16 ERA, 6-4
Jacob Lindgren - AAA - 22 IP, 1.23 ERA, 3 SV, 11.86 K/9
Chad Girodo - A+/AA - 34.2 IP, 1.04 ERA, 1-0, 37 K
Jonathan Holder - A+ - 67.2 IP, 2.53 ERA, 4-2, 55 K
Brandon Woodruff - A+ - 71.0 IP, 4.06 ERA, 1-4, 36 K
Evan Mitchell - A+ - 34.2 IP, 4.15 ERA, 2-0, 28 K

Hunter Renfroe, Brett Pirtle, and Adam Frazier are all in AA ball right now.

No doubt that team had scrappy gutty players that had ability. I am partial to a good sinker slider guy and that's why I've been on the graveman bandwagon since I first saw him pitch at state. Once he figured a few things out he was a very solid college pitcher with top notch stuff for the pro game.

As far as those you listed I still contend that Evan prolly had the best overall "stuff", he just didn't have the make up to let it work for him. I was hoping he would get some coaching at the pro level that would help him and give him confidence...still hoping that occurs.