PDA

View Full Version : Projecting Baseball Signees

ZedFedder
07-03-2015, 01:52 PM
For the guys on here who are more knowledgeable than me, how do you see the careers of the guys we are actually getting to campus progressing? What will be there roles and how high are their ceilings? Do they have Stratton/Renfroe years potentially? Thanks in advance!

MsStateBaseball
07-03-2015, 08:28 PM
We have a lot more Stratton prospects than Renfroe as of right now. I just created a Facebook page that has more recruiting stuff on it. Plus my blog has a list of recruits. We got a few big, tall strapping guys coming in Monday. These guys will mainly be used in bullpen but may get some spot starts. Next years pitching staff is really taking shape. Newcomer Ryan Rigby is dominating as a closer in summer.

Looks to me, Butch is trying to get one LHP and one RHP who is big and tall in each class. This means he should have plenty of starters lined up.

Their main focus is starting pitching and a good defensive catcher, if you look at the classes I have on my blog. Really a big home run hitter usually goes pro.

Big starting pitchers who throw hard, defensive catchers, quick middle infielders. If you can get a HR hitter under the radar then get him.

Todd4State
07-03-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't think we have any recruit that has Renfroe's ceiling. Including the guys we lost to the draft. It's impossible to predict, but we have some guys that will likely go in the top 10 rounds and higher depending on how they perform.

I expect most of them to play reserve roles as freshmen because of what we return. You'll see them start and play a more prominent role as sophomores and then start and probably fully put it together their junior year. And I'm being very general.

I don't think we have any obvious impact freshmen on day one other than Kale Breaux.

KB21
07-03-2015, 11:58 PM
It's going to be tough for any true freshman pitcher to get a spot in the weekend starting rotation. The main guys that will be competing for those three spots are pitching in the Cape Cod League right now. All are juniors. Here are their CCL stats:

Dakota Hudson: 6 G, 3 GS, 23.1 IP, 1.93 ERA, 18 SO, 3 BB, 0.73 WHIP, .165 BAA
Zac Houston: 4 G, 3 GS, 14.0 IP, 1.93 ERA, 18 SO, 4 BB, 0.79 WHIP, .152 BAA
Daniel Brown: 4 G, 3 GS, 16.0 IP, 0.56 ERA, 13 SO, 6 BB, 1.06 WHIP, .193 BAA
Vance Tatum: 3 G, 3 GS, 15.0 IP, 1.80 ERA, 12 SO, 6 BB, 1.20 WHIP, .218 BAA
Austin Sexton: 3 G, 3 GS, 13.1 IP, 6.08 ERA, 10 SO, 3 BB, 1.43 WHIP, .293 BAA

Sexton is the only one that isn't dominating in the Cape, but we know what he can do in the SEC.

The biggest chance for making an impact will be starting some mid week games or coming out the bullpen on weekends. I agree with Todd that Kale Breaux is probably the one that can have the biggest impact against SEC teams. Blake Smith and Ryan Rigby are two JUCO arms that will probably make an immediate impact. I think you see them ease Jared Padgett in with some mid week starts, along with Ethan Small. Maybe they piggy back those two similar to the way some minor league teams do. Parker Ford may pitch out of the pen on weekends.

5 Star
07-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I don't think we have any recruit that has Renfroe's ceiling. Including the guys we lost to the draft. It's impossible to predict, but we have some guys that will likely go in the top 10 rounds and higher depending on how they perform.

I expect most of them to play reserve roles as freshmen because of what we return. You'll see them start and play a more prominent role as sophomores and then start and probably fully put it together their junior year. And I'm being very general.

I don't think we have any obvious impact freshmen on day one other than Kale Breaux.

We finally agree. Seems you've finally adjusted your overly negative stance regarding the existing players.

Jacksondevildog
07-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Last year was a very negative season where rumors of poor senior leadership were talked about. Todd isn't the only one that was somewhat negative about the existing players. I do believe we will be better next season, but it's not like he's a jack ass for questioning a team that was a train wreck.
We finally agree. Seems you've finally adjusted your overly negative stance regarding the existing players.

Todd4State
07-04-2015, 10:21 AM

Sometimes honesty hurts. Not sure why you are being overly sensitive about the players from last year. The record speaks for itself.

We're never going to get better unless issues are corrected. If the players from last year can do that fine. If they can't and someone else that is younger can they need to play. That's why I'm not as hard on Cohen for trying different lineups as some.

I don't have anything personal against any of our current players.

Jacksondevildog
07-04-2015, 10:29 AM
He's obviously a player, friend or family member of one of our players and gets butt hurt when someone criticizes them. He better hope that they don't play pro ball because it will be much worse. I remember Yankee fans chanting David Wells' mothers name in vain while he threw his bullpen at Yankee Stadium less than a week after she died. He wasn't playing for the Yankees either.

KB21
07-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Last year was a very negative season where rumors of poor senior leadership were talked about. Todd isn't the only one that was somewhat negative about the existing players. I do believe we will be better next season, but it's not like he's a jack ass for questioning a team that was a train wreck.

Here is the thing. I think this past season was a mix of poor senior leadership and young players who weren't quite ready to take that next step in their development. It is patently obvious that this team had high upside young talent this past year. This much was obvious when 7 of our players were chosen by MLB scouts to play in the Cape Cod League.

Everyone wants to blame the coach for not playing the talent he has, but everyone of these players had an opportunity to step up and take their position, and they did not do it. Now, maybe with some of the pitchers the coaching staff should have just bitten the bullet and played them. Austin Sexton, Gavin Collins, and Reid Humphreys played. Vance Tatum got his opportunity and lost it. Dakota Hudson was pushed in the fall to become the Friday night guy, and he simply didn't respond the way the coaching staff wanted him to.

Hopefully, the success these players are having in the Cape League will translate over into the fall and the spring. These players that weren't quite ready in 2015 now need to step up and become the leaders on this team.

5 Star
07-04-2015, 11:21 AM
KB21, I didn't care for your opinion too much right after the Cohen hiring, but you've been right on about this past season and the direction of our program. I'm glad there are still some other guys out there who have been around and 'get' what MS baseball is really about.

On another note, I hope to see Polk and Raffy come back to the program in some capacity soon. It's time for that. After T&L, I think it would be a win\win for everyone.

ZedFedder
07-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Do we think Gavin Collins improves behind the plate defensively? Everyone harps on how awful he was last year (and he was), but it seems his freshman year he was excellent.

KB21
07-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Do we think Gavin Collins improves behind the plate defensively? Everyone harps on how awful he was last year (and he was), but it seems his freshman year he was excellent.

He will likely never be the equivalent of Lovelady back there, but at this point, catcher is the best position for him to get his bat in the line up. He's not a complete stiff defensively behind the plate the way Daniel Garner was, but he clearly has a lot of improvement in the area of pitch framing and blocking. His arm is great, and he can control the running game. He will get drafted as a catcher.

KB21
07-04-2015, 02:09 PM
To add, I think Brent Rooker at this time is ticketed for RF and not the DH position. He has some work to do, but the coaching staff wanted him to work specifically on playing in RF this summer. He's played every game for the Plymouth Pilgrims in RF and has done well overall. He's a very good athlete overall who was a solid quarterback in high school. He's got a good arm as well. I think he will make the proper adjustments and be able to play that position.

IMO, I think we see Rooker in RF, Humphreys at 1B, and Gordon at DH. I think Gordon's bat is going to be too good to take out of the line up. If he's not ready though, I think this is probably where Nate Lowe gets in the mix.

MsStateBaseball
07-04-2015, 03:43 PM
The OF will have a rotation. Smith, Robson and Brown are the main starters. Rooker is the 4th. I'm hoping Jake The Snake Mangum could be the 5th. He's fast and a switch hitter. Swinarski is up in the air, I guess he'll come back.

shoeless joe
07-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Renfroe was a rare instance in this day and age in baseball. He was a guy with all the tools(as we well know) that didn't play any prominent summer travel ball. He was the rawest of raw talents. He had nada for coaching once he left hillcrest. 99.9% of players nowadays with less than half his ability at least get to test it against top competition in the summer even if they play at a lesser known school.

KB21
07-04-2015, 09:17 PM
The OF will have a rotation. Smith, Robson and Brown are the main starters. Rooker is the 4th. I'm hoping Jake The Snake Mangum could be the 5th. He's fast and a switch hitter. Swinarski is up in the air, I guess he'll come back.

If Rooker can handle RF defensively, he will play RF with Brown and Smith platooning in LF. His bat is that much better than the other two at this point.

maroonmania
07-04-2015, 09:46 PM
If Rooker can handle RF defensively, he will play RF with Brown and Smith platooning in LF. His bat is that much better than the other two at this point.

Not sure how you can say that given Brown had the second highest average on the team at .309 and the most doubles of anyone on the team (14 compared to the next highest being 9). Also, Brown will be going into his 3rd year of playing at MSU. Brown has earned a spot until he is just beaten out. Summer ball is in no way comparable to what you've accomplished actually playing at MSU and in the SEC.

zdawg
07-05-2015, 12:48 PM
"If you can get a HR hitter under the radar then get him."
You seem to have a good idea of the talents of the 2015 class. Do you believe some of the new guys have power potential ? That's what seems to be the biggest concern from the fans. I know losing Riley hurt, but some of these new guys have power potential in my opinion.
What do you think ? Whom do you think will become the power hitter we need ?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

MsStateBaseball
07-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Barfield and Lowe come w credentials to hit HR. I can see them hitting a few next year. Both Stovall and Marrero are short, 5-9, they have some power. those 4 will play in 2016.

MsStateBaseball
07-05-2015, 07:53 PM
You need to follow me on Twitter and Facebook bc I am about to talk about the 2016 team and I always talk recruiting

Todd4State
07-05-2015, 10:58 PM
"If you can get a HR hitter under the radar then get him."
You seem to have a good idea of the talents of the 2015 class. Do you believe some of the new guys have power potential ? That's what seems to be the biggest concern from the fans. I know losing Riley hurt, but some of these new guys have power potential in my opinion.
What do you think ? Whom do you think will become the power hitter we need ?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

I think Brant Blaylock could develop into a power hitter. He just had some type of surgery. Stovall, Alexander, and Marrero all have some pop- but nowhere like Renfroe.

Todd4State
07-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Not sure how you can say that given Brown had the second highest average on the team at .309 and the most doubles of anyone on the team (14 compared to the next highest being 9). Also, Brown will be going into his 3rd year of playing at MSU. Brown has earned a spot until he is just beaten out. Summer ball is in no way comparable to what you've accomplished actually playing at MSU and in the SEC.

Well, Cohen is in a quandary because our fans want more power. Playing Smith, Robson, Brown, and Reynolds is not going to help us out in the power department even though they are all good hitters.

maroonmania
07-05-2015, 11:30 PM
Well, Cohen is in a quandary because our fans want more power. Playing Smith, Robson, Brown, and Reynolds is not going to help us out in the power department even though they are all good hitters.

Not sure if we are only equating HRs to power but Brown had 17 extra base hits to lead the team. Rea had 16, Humphreys 13, and after that nobody else had more than 10. If a guy is second on the team in average and first on the team in extra base hits he deserves to keep a spot in the lineup for now.

Todd4State
07-06-2015, 01:21 AM
Not sure if we are only equating HRs to power but Brown had 17 extra base hits to lead the team. Rea had 16, Humphreys 13, and after that nobody else had more than 10. If a guy is second on the team in average and first on the team in extra base hits he deserves to keep a spot in the lineup for now.

It doesn't really matter who led our team in extra base hits last year- we have to improve in that area across the board.

I'm not saying that we should sit all of those guys or any one of them in particular. Just that to get more power in the lineup someone that is a quality player is going to have to sit.