PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Stapleton - LA Tech basketball player transferring

whosyourdawgy
07-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Originally blocked from transferring to like 50 schools including us. Now those restrictions have been lessened and he's available. 6'6 swing man with hops. Wonder if he will get another look from Howland?

messageboardsuperhero
07-01-2015, 11:34 PM
He is originally from MS. Could be a good fit.

Bass Chaser
07-02-2015, 12:16 AM
I could understand the block to FL just not the others.

MadisonDawg
07-02-2015, 12:22 AM
We've been very interested since White went to Florida.

Dawg61
07-02-2015, 12:37 AM
He should be eligible immediately because his coach left. 13th man?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 07:32 AM
I don't see the need for Stapleton but hey I'm not Howland.

msstate7
07-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Maybe he could play TE for you**

whosyourdawgy
07-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Scholarships are a yearly thing. If he doesn't work out or if he turns out to be pretty damn good. Won't hurt. Would rather have a full roster w scholarship players to practice anyway

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Scholarships are a yearly thing. If he doesn't work out or if he turns out to be pretty damn good. Won't hurt. Would rather have a full roster w scholarship players to practice anyway

You're not bringing in a transfer to sit out & just to watch him practice. Only to say you know what I don't want you.

Johnson85
07-02-2015, 08:16 AM

What's his outside shooting percentage? If he's 35% plus from 3 and solid otherwise, I'd think he'd get a look and be a no brainer if he was closer to 40%. But if he's just a slasher, I agree you have to wonder whether he'd be enough of an upgrade to deal with the roster issues.

ETA:
His stats:

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2014-15 LT 15.5 2.4-5.7 .413 0.9-3.2 .287 1.0-1.5 .698 2.1 0.3 0.6 0.7 1.9 0.7 6.7

Stats don't seem to make him a compelling take, but he's just a freshman, so I'm guessing if Howland is interested, it's probably not as much about next year as it is what Howland sees him developing into over the next three years.

whosyourdawgy
07-02-2015, 08:17 AM
True but the few videos I've found on him, he appears athletic as hell and could provide us depth at the 3 and possibly 4 in a pinch And I saw this on WJTV of all places last night

maroonmania
07-02-2015, 08:56 AM
What's his outside shooting percentage? If he's 35% plus from 3 and solid otherwise, I'd think he'd get a look and be a no brainer if he was closer to 40%. But if he's just a slasher, I agree you have to wonder whether he'd be enough of an upgrade to deal with the roster issues.

ETA:
His stats:

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2014-15 LT 15.5 2.4-5.7 .413 0.9-3.2 .287 1.0-1.5 .698 2.1 0.3 0.6 0.7 1.9 0.7 6.7

Stats don't seem to make him a compelling take, but he's just a freshman, so I'm guessing if Howland is interested, it's probably not as much about next year as it is what Howland sees him developing into over the next three years.

We've got plenty of athleticism, what we are missing is basketball skill, especially shooting. If he's got that I would take him. Looking at his stats though I don't know if he shoots well enough to be a take.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Originally blocked from transferring to like 50 schools including us. Now those restrictions have been lessened and he's available. 6'6 swing man with hops. Wonder if he will get another look from Howland?

Thought it was Xavian Stapleton?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Stapleton is basically Demetrius Houston. Why would we need another Houston? I'd rather save the scholarship for next year if we can't get a transfer big.

Johnson85
07-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Stapleton is basically Demetrius Houston. Why would we need another Houston? I'd rather save the scholarship for next year if we can't get a transfer big.

The only reason I can think is that Howland plans to institute an up and down scheme that relies on having a lot of athletic forwards that can play the 3 or an undersized 4.

Still raises the question of whether Stapleton is going to be better than what Howland can pick up through the normal recruiting process next year, but Howland's thing early on in his tenure at UCLA was identifying athletic but unpolished players and turning them into something, so if he looks at Stapleton and decides that he's a take, even though he doesn't fill a need for the 2015-2016 team, I would think that means there's some pretty big upside there.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 10:07 AM
The only reason I can think is that Howland plans to institute an up and down scheme that relies on having a lot of athletic forwards that can play the 3 or an undersized 4.

Still raises the question of whether Stapleton is going to be better than what Howland can pick up through the normal recruiting process next year, but Howland's thing early on in his tenure at UCLA was identifying athletic but unpolished players and turning them into something, so if he looks at Stapleton and decides that he's a take, even though he doesn't fill a need for the 2015-2016 team, I would think that means there's some pretty big upside there.

Yea if Howland wants him I'm definitely not going to question him he's earned that. Just from the outside looking in he just doesn't look like a player that is going to help us fill a need.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
RICKRAYMADE clear your PM.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
07-02-2015, 12:28 PM
RICKRAYMADE clear your PM.

It is done.

Madisonmd
07-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Guys, he's a taker all the way! Will sit out a year and have 3 to play. Should not worry about competing with Houston.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Guys, he's a taker all the way! Will sit out a year and have 3 to play. Should not worry about competing with Houston.

Yea should be hearing something by next week maybe as early as Monday or Tuesday.

messageboardsuperhero
07-02-2015, 03:56 PM
He will visit tomorrow and probably stay for a couple of days. Should hear something after this weekend.

Johnson85
07-02-2015, 04:22 PM

So will we have to process somebody? Or do we already have an open scholarship spot?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 04:38 PM
So will we have to process somebody? Or do we already have an open scholarship spot?

Have an open scholly.

Dawg61
07-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Didn't we bring this guy up back during Ray's days as someone we should be offering? Seems I remember he was top 5 player overall in MS his senior year. He's an elite athlete at worst and doesn't seem to be afraid to shoot it. He shot over a hundred 3's for La. Tech as a freshman averaging only 15 min a game. That's a shit load of 3's for that few minutes.

Madisonmd
07-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Should have taken him before Dunlap, but fortunately that situation has been corrected. He's grown 2 in since going to LT. May remember his dunk this past season being the dunk of the year on ESPN. Kid can can really climb the ladder. LT people felt he has next level ability, i.e. NBA. Consequently the reluctance to release him.

coastdoglover
07-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Should have taken him before Dunlap, but fortunately that situation has been corrected. He's grown 2 in since going to LT. May remember his dunk this past season being the dunk of the year on ESPN. Kid can can really climb the ladder. LT people felt he has next level ability, i.e. NBA. Consequently the reluctance to release him.

My money is on us signing him, Brooks is on him hot and heavy.

messageboardsuperhero
07-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Every day that goes by, the more I realize just how poorly managed our basketball program was under Rick Ray.

Jacksondevildog
07-02-2015, 06:37 PM
This becomes more evident every day. You hear fewer and fewer positive comments about Rick Ray. We would be going into this upcoming season without Newman, Holman, and possibly Stapleton if he was still here.

Every day that goes by, the more I realize just how poorly managed our basketball program was under Rick Ray.

MSUDawg4Life
07-02-2015, 06:52 PM
To act like Rick Ray could have or should have produced the same results as Howland with less experience and fewer contacts is a farce. Nothing Howland has done proves that Rick Ray didn't give his all to this program nor does it show the program was "mismanaged". All it proves is that Rick Ray didn't have the resume of Ben Howland. And that some of you try too hard to slander the names of certain men who played critical roles in our athletic department's history. Rather than just thanking them for their service and moving on.

Jacksondevildog
07-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Yeah, he was a hero for being our coach. Just because he coached a Mississippi State team doesn't mean he can go without criticism. Our recruiting was sub par and there seemed to be no search for immediate transfers into our program in the first couple of years to help stabilize the roster with some depth. It was like he thought he had 10 years to finish the job and even made public comments recently after his release that he didn't feel like he got enough time. Very Croom like with those comments and our fans feel the same way.

Our fans: "Great guy. Very personable. Cleaned up a mess. In over his head. Don't talk bad about him you bastard."

TopDog58
07-02-2015, 07:02 PM
To act like Rick Ray could have or should have produced the same results as Howland with less experience and fewer contacts is a farce. Nothing Howland has done proves that Rick Ray didn't give his all to this program nor does it show the program was "mismanaged". All it proves is that Rick Ray didn't have the resume of Ben Howland. And that some of you try too hard to slander the names of certain men who played critical roles in our athletic department's history. Rather than just thanking them for their service and moving on.

What is there to thank him for? I get the fact that people dont need to pile on, but shit. We should praise the guy for 3 losing seasons? I dont care what he inherited, thats garbage. Just like our fans trying to justify 5 seasons of sub 100 offenses under Crooms. It was terrible, boring to watch, and showed no signs of getting better. The fact that we DID kick those clowns to the curb is a good thing

Jacksondevildog
07-02-2015, 07:03 PM
THIS AND MORE OF THIS>>>>
What is there to thank him for? I get the fact that people dont need to pile on, but shit. We should praise the guy for 3 losing seasons? I dont care what he inherited, thats garbage. Just like our fans trying to justify 5 seasons of sub 100 offenses under Crooms. It was terrible, boring to watch, and showed no signs of getting better. The fact that we DID kick those clowns to the curb is a good thing

msstate7
07-02-2015, 07:08 PM

Croom's years were pretty much terrible, but they led to a cleaned program and Mullen.

Ray's years were terrible, but he cleaned up our program and they led to howland.

Be thankful croom and ray weren't just a little bit more successful or we could've missed out on Mullen and howland. There's something to be thankful for. No need to bash the guys... They gone

Jacksondevildog
07-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Bashing and making an obvious comment about our basketball program are two different things. Some people don't want to hear the truth so they can act like it never happened. Maybe bringing up how bad it was and how much better off we are will make people realize how bad we F'd up those hires and will demand better from our AD's going forward.

MSUDawg4Life
07-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Yeah, he was a hero for being our coach. Just because he coached a Mississippi State team doesn't mean he can go without criticism. Our recruiting was sub par and there seemed to be no search for immediate transfers into our program in the first couple of years to help stabilize the roster with some depth. It was like he thought he had 10 years to finish the job and even made public comments recently after his release that he didn't feel like he got enough time. Very Croom like with those comments and our fans feel the same way.

Our fans: "Great guy. Very personable. Cleaned up a mess. In over his head. Don't talk bad about him you bastard."

Look man, we all know what happened. All of us lived through it. I'm not one of those who thinks Croom or Ray should have stayed longer. It was time for them to go, we've moved on and we're in a better place now.

Most of us have moved on.

For some of you, it seems like having a opportunity to kick the man makes your asshole tingle. Is your self-esteem that low? That you have to constantly badmouth the man?

Let it go ... you bastard.

msstate7
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Bashing and making an obvious comment about our basketball program are two different things. Some people don't want to hear the truth so they can act like it never happened. Maybe bringing up how bad it was and how much better off we are will make people realize how bad we F'd up those hires and will demand better from our AD's going forward.

Wouldn't you say those 2 bad hires were followed by homeruns? Kinda hard to be mad at SS about coaches right now. Unless you think Cohen should have been canned

Jacksondevildog
07-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Yes my self esteem is so low and I have so much going on like you do on a Thursday night that Im spending it on a message board.

Jacksondevildog
07-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Greg Byrne hired Mullen. Stricklin hired Howland after hiring Ray. Stricklin hired Schaefer. In my book, he's 2-1. If Cohen has us finish like we did this past year, then his ass should be canned and if that happens, Scott better not be batting .500.

Wouldn't you say those 2 bad hires were followed by homeruns? Kinda hard to be mad at SS about coaches right now. Unless you think Cohen should been canned

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 07:23 PM
How the hell did a thread about a Bball transfer turn into a Cohen/Stricklin need to get it together. Come on people focus man focus.

Jacksondevildog
07-02-2015, 07:24 PM
We don't put up with shit anymore at MSU. I like it.
How the hell did a thread about a Bball transfer turn into a Cohen/Stricklin need to get it together. Come on people focus man focus.

ScottH
07-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Stricklin hired Howland after hiring Ray.

God bless Adidas.

Joe Schmedlap
07-02-2015, 08:34 PM

My oh my. Rick Ray was never remotely qualified for the head coaching job at State. When Stricklin did take on the stupendous rickray, it might have been somewhat acceptable had the salary been 500k a year. But no, the guy got a million dollars a year. It was three years of self imposed death penalty and a waste of millions of dollars. Good for you, Rick Ray. Your bank account is flush. Shame on us and the AD, but good for you Coach.

TheRef
07-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Can we not talk about Rick Ray anymore? We're in the Howland era, not the Ray era.

Bully13
07-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Croom's years were pretty much terrible, but they led to a cleaned program and Mullen.

Ray's years were terrible, but he cleaned up our program and they led to howland.

Be thankful croom and ray weren't just a little bit more successful or we could've missed out on Mullen and howland. There's something to be thankful for. No need to bash the guys... They gone

I like that a lot.

Dawg61
07-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Can we not talk about Rick Ray anymore? We're in the Howland era, not the Ray era.

Lol yea cause we never talked about Stansbury after he got fired too.**

TheRef
07-02-2015, 09:03 PM

And we shouldn't have...

Intramural All-American
07-02-2015, 10:24 PM

That's because half the fanbase still wanted Stansbury. The whole fanbase is behind the current move, so any talking about Ray now is just bashing him and unnecessary. He tried and failed. Let it go.

Dawg61
07-02-2015, 10:28 PM
That's because half the fanbase still wanted Stansbury. The whole fanbase is behind the current move, so any talking about Ray now is just bashing him and unnecessary. He tried and failed. Let it go.

Ray got over $3 mill too. Don't forget that part.

messageboardsuperhero
07-02-2015, 11:37 PM
LOL, I didn't realize my one little comment would start us down this road...

How about this: It's amazing how well Howland is currently running our program. Is that better?

whosyourdawgy
07-03-2015, 03:29 PM

I know right? I was excited that I may read some good comments just then but it's the same old shit in a different thread. Let that shit rest.

Eric Nies Grind Time
07-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Any update on Templeton? He would be a good get.

codeDawg
07-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Rick Standsbury.

There. That should officially burn this thread down.

RBritt
07-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Did he committ to us?

MadisonDawg
07-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Yes

MSUDawg99
07-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Yes https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/617743260908421120

MSUDawg4Life
07-05-2015, 12:46 PM
What position will he play?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Can be play the 3 or stretch 4 similar to Daniel.

whosyourdawgy
07-05-2015, 12:52 PM
And I butchered his first name it appears. Xavian not Xavier. Anybody ever heard of the hard rock band Xavion?

Dawg61
07-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Since his coach left does that make him immediately eligible?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-05-2015, 01:03 PM
No he has to sit a year.

codeDawg
07-05-2015, 06:28 PM
It's good to be back.

Dawg61
07-06-2015, 01:58 AM
No he has to sit a year.

So a signed HS player is free to enroll elsewhere but a player on the team still suffers the one year penalty if his coach leaves and he wants to transfer? That seems ****ed up to me. I would think the NCAA allows players to transfer free of penalty right after their coach leaves. Needs to be that way imo.

tcdog70
07-06-2015, 09:21 AM
So a signed HS player is free to enroll elsewhere but a player on the team still suffers the one year penalty if his coach leaves and he wants to transfer? That seems ****ed up to me. I would think the NCAA allows players to transfer free of penalty right after their coach leaves. Needs to be that way imo.

I'm Sure you also noticed, Howland has a full 13 players. Plus he has now signed a transfer. It just doesn't seem like it was that difficult.

Dawg61
07-06-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm Sure you also noticed, Howland has a full 13 players. Plus he has now signed a transfer. It just doesn't seem like it was that difficult.

Lol trust me I've noticed

Jacksondevildog
07-06-2015, 02:59 PM
We have 13 scholarship players for the FIRST time in three years. Unreal.

ScoobaDawg
07-06-2015, 03:11 PM

This is just wrong. Players sign to a school not the Coach is how the NCAA has always said it. Not true about high school players either. If they want out of their LOI they have to get a release from the school.

maroonmania
07-06-2015, 03:31 PM
This is just wrong. Players sign to a school not the Coach is how the NCAA has always said it. Not true about high school players either. If they want out of their LOI they have to get a release from the school.

I'm pretty sure they have to get a release but they don't have to sit out a year. I'm sure Tookie Brown will be playing this year at the school he switched to.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-06-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure they have to get a release but they don't have to sit out a year. I'm sure Tookie Brown will be playing this year at the school he switched to.

Tookie has never enrolled in a school either. A little apples to oranges there.

ScoobaDawg
07-06-2015, 03:51 PM

This is correct. Just was saying it was not automatic a HS player can get out of his LOI with a coach leaving.

maroonmania
07-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Tookie has never enrolled in a school either. A little apples to oranges there.

Exactly, that was Dawg61's point that a signed HS player is treated differently than a player already on the team and they are in regards to switching schools. Scoobadawg seemed to be saying they are treated the same which they aren't.

ScoobaDawg
07-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Exactly, that was Dawg61's point that a signed HS player is treated differently than a player already on the team and they are in regards to switching schools. Scoobadawg seemed to be saying they are treated the same which they aren't.

"So a signed HS player is free to enroll elsewhere "

HS Player has to be released or would have to sit out a season also....

I get what you are saying but part of what he was saying is not correct. And do you really want Basketball free agency where players can transfer freely with no penalties. No....

Question: What happens if I change my mind and I do not want to attend the institution with which I sign and want to attend another National Letter of Intent institution?

Answer: If you do not attend the institution with which you signed or if you do not satisfy the terms of the National Letter of Intent Program, the basic penalty is you lose two years of eligibility at the next National Letter of Intent institution and you must sit two years in residence at that school.

Question: Can the Basic Penalty which calls for a loss of two years of eligibility and requires that I sit two years in residence at the next National Letter of Intent Institution be reduced?

Answer: Yes. The Basic Penalty under the National Letter of Intent agreement can be reduced by entering into a Qualified Release Agreement with the signing institution. By entering into a Qualified Release Agreement, the institution and the student-athlete mutually agree to release each other from any commitment and liability to each other as a result of signing a National Letter of Intent. Pursuant to the Qualified Release Agreement, you may not represent a second National Letter of Intent institution in any sport during the first year of residence there and you will be charged with a loss of one season of competition in all sport.

ScoobaDawg
07-08-2015, 05:03 PM
He's here....

"There's a new Bulldog on campus. Welcome to Mississippi State, Xavian Stapleton."
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/11722315_951416831545833_7269645991156842807_o.jpg

maroonmania
07-08-2015, 05:40 PM
"So a signed HS player is free to enroll elsewhere "

HS Player has to be released or would have to sit out a season also....

I get what you are saying but part of what he was saying is not correct. And do you really want Basketball free agency where players can transfer freely with no penalties. No....

Question: What happens if I change my mind and I do not want to attend the institution with which I sign and want to attend another National Letter of Intent institution?

Answer: If you do not attend the institution with which you signed or if you do not satisfy the terms of the National Letter of Intent Program, the basic penalty is you lose two years of eligibility at the next National Letter of Intent institution and you must sit two years in residence at that school.

Question: Can the Basic Penalty which calls for a loss of two years of eligibility and requires that I sit two years in residence at the next National Letter of Intent Institution be reduced?

Answer: Yes. The Basic Penalty under the National Letter of Intent agreement can be reduced by entering into a Qualified Release Agreement with the signing institution. By entering into a Qualified Release Agreement, the institution and the student-athlete mutually agree to release each other from any commitment and liability to each other as a result of signing a National Letter of Intent. Pursuant to the Qualified Release Agreement, you may not represent a second National Letter of Intent institution in any sport during the first year of residence there and you will be charged with a loss of one season of competition in all sport.

I was just pointing out that one has to sit out for a year and the other doesn't, so its not equal treatment. I realize that "technically" the HS player has to get the release but WHAT school is not going to grant the release if requested when the coach he signed to play under is no longer there. None that I know of. Now if you want my personal opinion, strictly for cases where there is a coaching change (I certainly don't want free agency), the sitting out should be the same whether you are a HS signee or a current player at that school. They both signed to play under a situation that has now changed so really they are both in the same boat. I would make either both sit out or neither sit out, but the NCAA doesn't care what I think anyway.

smootness
07-08-2015, 06:06 PM

That would be mass chaos. Doesn't seem messed up to me at all.

Dawg61
07-08-2015, 10:13 PM
I was just pointing out that one has to sit out for a year and the other doesn't, so its not equal treatment. I realize that "technically" the HS player has to get the release but WHAT school is not going to grant the release if requested when the coach he signed to play under is no longer there. None that I know of. Now if you want my personal opinion, strictly for cases where there is a coaching change (I certainly don't want free agency), the sitting out should be the same whether you are a HS signee or a current player at that school. They both signed to play under a situation that has now changed so really they are both in the same boat. I would make either both sit out or neither sit out, but the NCAA doesn't care what I think anyway.

This!!