PDA

View Full Version : Reid Humphreys

MsStateBaseball
07-01-2015, 08:43 PM
For what it's worth, Moonlight Tatum predicts he will have a huge 2016. Interview on hail state.

Billy Ray Valentine
07-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Potential is definitely there

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 09:49 PM
I certainly hope he does. I would take a 10 home run .275 season from him.

We need him, Gavin Collins (really just need him to be healthy), and at least one of the two JUCO hitters- Barfield and/or Lowe to step up.

That said, I disagree with Tatum. I think Rooker is going to have a huge 2016.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 09:55 PM
I certainly hope he does. I would take a 10 home run .275 season from him.

We need him, Gavin Collins (really just need him to be healthy), and at least one of the two JUCO hitters- Barfield and/or Lowe to step up.

That said, I disagree with Tatum. I think Rooker is going to have a huge 2016.

Rooker is en fuego right now in summer ball. Looking like he will be a legit power threat moving forward. He should have played a shit ton more last year.

shoeless joe
07-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Rooker is en fuego right now in summer ball. Looking like he will be a legit power threat moving forward. He should have played a shit ton more last year.

I agree. I like his swing. He is short armed but tall so he has a short swing while being able to create leverage. The only problem I see between he, hump, and Collins is finding a place for all of them to play at the same time.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 10:01 PM

Maybe. He's still a work in progress to a degree going back to last year, but I think it's only a matter of time before the light switch comes on.

Rooker is the posterboy for the types of power hitters Cohen should be recruiting more. 6'3", football player, raw power, good speed- basically needs a little bit of coaching but will be a 10 home run guy before it's all said and done.

I don't mind recruiting guys like Riley and Pickett- but we need at least one Rooker for every Riley and Pickett in case we don't get the elite guys. And if we get the elite guys too- we get to be awesome.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 10:02 PM
I agree. I like his swing. He is short armed but tall so he has a short swing while being able to create leverage. The only problem I see between he, hump, and Collins is finding a place for all of them to play at the same time.

To me, the best way to do it would be:

C- Collins
1B- Lowe
3B- Barfield
RF- Humphreys
LF- Rooker

shoeless joe
07-01-2015, 10:05 PM

C- Collins
1B- Lowe
3B- Barfield
RF- Humphreys
LF- Rooker

Offensively that would do it but knowing Cohen I think he'll stick a better outfield group out there than that. To me one of them would have to DH and I would like to see Collins somewhere besides behind the plate.
IMO c, SS and CF need to be the best you got and Collins just isn't that.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 10:06 PM

C- Collins
1B- Lowe
3B- Barfield
RF- Humphreys
LF- Rooker

We could DH either Hump or Rooker to help the outfield defensively

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Offensively that would do it but knowing Cohen I think he'll stick a better outfield group out there than that. To me one of them would have to DH and I would like to see Collins somewhere besides behind the

Beat me to it. This^

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Offensively that would do it but knowing Cohen I think he'll stick a better outfield group out there than that. To me one of them would have to DH and I would like to see Collins somewhere besides behind the

I think Cohen will start Michael Smith in the OF. At least one of our power hitters is going to sit- and our fans will bitch about it and accuse Cohen of not wanting to hit home runs.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 10:09 PM
We could DH either Hump or Rooker to help the outfield defensively

I will also say that I think Luke Reynolds will be in the lineup somewhere. We're overcrowded at DH- which not really a good thing.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 10:12 PM
I think Cohen will start Michael Smith in the OF. At least one of our power hitters is going to sit- and our fans will bitch about it and accuse Cohen of not wanting to hit home runs.

Well essentially that's what he would be doing if the one he replaced in the OF with Smith doesn't DH. Neither Rooker nor Hump are bad enough in the field to make it worth sacrificing their bats in the lineup IMO.

It wouldn't be about "homeruns" necessarily, but he would clearly be hurting our offense every game by sitting Humphreys or Rooker.

Jacksondevildog
07-01-2015, 10:13 PM
We will platoon DH and have it solidified by our third game in the regional.
I will also say that I think Luke Reynolds will be in the lineup somewhere. We're overcrowded at DH- which not really a good thing.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 10:13 PM

I agree. I think the Juco splits time with Reynolds at 3B, but Luke starts most games unless his bat is cold.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 10:14 PM
We will platoon DH and have it solidified by our third game in the regional.

Haha

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 10:18 PM
My "way too early" lineup would look something like this in the field...

C Collins (he's not great defensively, but no outfield spots available)
1B Lowe
2B Holland
SS Gridley
3B Reynolds (Juco may split time)
LF Hump
CF Robson
RF Smith
DH Rooker

If a guy like Cole Gordon is raking, I would bench Smith and put Rooker in RF and Gordon DH (I would never start Smith if it was up to me, but JC will like Todd said). You get a lineup with Collins, Hump, Rooker, Gordon, & Lowe....you may finally have some doubles and homeruns.

I may be leaving someone out, and I have no clue about a batting order, but neither will Cohen so that's not worth discussing.

shoeless joe
07-01-2015, 10:22 PM
My "way too early" lineup would look something like this in the field...

C Collins (he's not great defensively, but no outfield spots available)
1B Lowe
2B Holland
SS Gridley
3B Reynolds (Juco may split time)
LF Hump
CF Robson
RF Smith
DH Rooker

If a guy like Cole Gordon is raking, I would bench Smith and put Rooker in RF and Gordon DH.

I may be leaving someone out, and I have no clue about a batting order, but neither will Cohen so that's not worth discussing.

Brown will play. He's got the fire in his gut that a lot of our guys were missing this year. He is a "cohen" type player. I think, as usual, the incoming JUCO guys are getting a little too much credit. I'd look for hump or rooker to possibly man first base...and who knows about third.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Brown will play. He's got the fire in his gut that a lot of our guys were missing this year. He is a "cohen" type player. I think, as usual, the incoming JUCO guys are getting a little too much credit. I'd look for hump or rooker to possibly man first base...and who knows about third.

Yep, you're right. Not sure how I forgot Cody Brown. Lowe is out then....Rooker or Hump to 1B, Brown in the OF.

messageboardsuperhero
07-01-2015, 10:32 PM
I think y'all are underestimating the talent of a healthy Michael Smith- he has legit gap power and is an elite defender. Vandy wanted him for a reason. His nagging injury hurt us more last year than most realize.

Putting him in an OF spot will not be sacrificing offense for defense, IMO.

ETA: And yes, Cody Brown will play in the OF too- he is one of my personal favorites on the team.

messageboardsuperhero
07-01-2015, 10:34 PM

This is what I'm thinking too. If Lowe forces himself in the lineup, great. But I'm not expecting it.

KB21
07-01-2015, 10:37 PM

C- Collins
1B- Lowe
3B- Barfield
RF- Humphreys
LF- Rooker

I'd swap Humphries and Rooker.

More likely scenario:
DH - Lowe/Gordon
1B - Humphries
RF - Rooker
C - Collins
3B - Reynolds/Barfield

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 11:03 PM
I agree. I think the Juco splits time with Reynolds at 3B, but Luke starts most games unless his bat is cold.

I think that depends on how much Luke improves defensively and how healthy Barfield's hand is. Two unknowns at this point.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 11:07 PM

I agree to a large degree. Our most powerful lineup has the two JUCO's in it. However, that doesn't mean it's our best lineup.

I've been telling people to pump the brakes on Lowe for awhile now, and then Barfield has his hand injury which is a question mark, so I do think it's fair to have a wait and see approach with them.

With Barfield, I think it's more about 2017-2018 than it is 2016.

I think a lot of people are assuming Humphreys will play first base because that is what he is doing in the Cape- but remember Britton played second in the Cape last year.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 11:08 PM
I'd swap Humphries and Rooker.

More likely scenario:
DH - Lowe/Gordon
1B - Humphries
RF - Rooker
C - Collins
3B - Reynolds/Barfield

I don't think Gordon plays much next year and I think Butch will continue to waste time looking at him as a pitcher. Despite mounting evidence that he is a better hitter.

Homedawg
07-01-2015, 11:15 PM

C- Collins
1B- Lowe
3B- Barfield
RF- Humphreys
LF- Rooker

You are promoting starting 2 guys that you have never seen play before and 2 guys that are bad outfielders. I say 2 because hump is an awful outfielder and rooker wasn't good enough to play I've him there so he must be bad- so our of defense would be beyond awful....now maybe Lowe and barfield are ready to help, but let's not start putting them in a lineup without seeing them play. Calm down

Homedawg
07-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Luke Alexander will be our best inf defender the day he gets here, don't count that out. He's going to play some. If he hits at all- he's in the lineup....which for our club that means .250***

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 11:22 PM
You are promoting starting 2 guys that you have never seen play before and 2 guys that are bad outfielders. I say 2 because hump is an awful outfielder and roomer wasn't good enough to play I've him there so he must be bad- so out of defense would be beyond awful....now maybe Lowe and barfield are ready to help, but let's not start putting them in a lineup without seeing them play. Calm down

Do you not agree that in terms of power and nothing else- including defense, speed, etc. that group has our most power potential?

That's basically all I am saying. I don't think that WILL be the lineup. Just that those players have the most power potential on the team.

The only guy I'm really promoting is Rooker- who has absolutely destroyed his summer league.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Luke Alexander will be our best inf defender the day he gets here, don't count that out. He's going to play some. If he hits at all- he's in the lineup....which for our club that means .250***

Alexander and Gridley are our two best MIF defensively. I have the same question that you do about Alexander- how quickly can he adjust.

Holland is in for a fight- but he has responded with a good summer at the plate. I like seeing that.

5 Star
07-02-2015, 08:40 AM
You are promoting starting 2 guys that you have never seen play before and 2 guys that are bad outfielders. I say 2 because hump is an awful outfielder and rooker wasn't good enough to play I've him there so he must be bad- so our of defense would be beyond awful....now maybe Lowe and barfield are ready to help, but let's not start putting them in a lineup without seeing them play. Calm down
Spot on. #ToddFail

War Machine Dawg
07-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Booker hits the ball too far and with authority. The Meddler doesn't approve of those things.

5 Star
07-02-2015, 10:40 AM
I think y'all are underestimating the talent of a healthy Michael Smith- he has legit gap power and is an elite defender. Vandy wanted him for a reason. His nagging injury hurt us more last year than most realize.

Putting him in an OF spot will not be sacrificing offense for defense, IMO.

ETA: And yes, Cody Brown will play in the OF too- he is one of my personal favorites on the team.

Agree, I think anyone expecting an OF other than Brown, Robson and Smith are probably fooling themselves. Smith has a cannon too, perfect for RF.

I do think there is a chance Brown is platooned in LF with someone based on R/L matchups, at least to start the year. I'm sure Humphreys will see time out there.

bulldogcountry1
07-02-2015, 10:51 AM

I always cringe at the thought of putting someone at the DH before the season starts, especially penciling 3 or 4 guys into that slot. It can never be a good thing. To me, it either means you have too many guys who can't play defense or nobody has separated themselves offensively...or both. It's like church league softball when you got 5 guys with double knee braces who can't do anything but EH or play 1st.

With the way things are now, DH should be determined based who is hot or injured at the time.

KB21
07-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Booker hits the ball too far and with authority. The Meddler doesn't approve of those things.

You just continue to make yourself look foolish by inserting this baseless opinion into every topic that covers baseball with Mississippi State.

CadaverDawg
07-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Agree, I think anyone expecting an OF other than Brown, Robson and Smith are probably fooling themselves. Smith has a cannon too, perfect for RF.

I do think there is a chance Brown is platooned in LF with someone based on R/L matchups, at least to start the year. I'm sure Humphreys will see time out there.

"Cannon" may be a bit of a stretch

Ralph
07-02-2015, 09:25 PM
I don't think Gordon plays much next year and I think Butch will continue to waste time looking at him as a pitcher. Despite mounting evidence that he is a better hitter.

That's depressing. I thought he was our future 1b with a legit big bat.

War Machine Dawg
07-02-2015, 10:51 PM
You just continue to make yourself look foolish by inserting this baseless opinion into every topic that covers baseball with Mississippi State.

Sarcasm. Might wanna check into it. That said, is it not fair game to question our lineups and choice of personnel considering how poor we've been offensively? Especially when offense is supposed to be Cohen's fort?. I think it's more than fair to ask what the hell he's thinking when guys like Rooker and Cole Gordon have their asses firmly glued to the pine while we're forced to watch guys like Seth Heck struggle to hit bloopers for a single. Either Cohen is intentionally handicapping the offense or he's incompetent at evaluating his best 9-10 hitters.

messageboardsuperhero
07-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Sarcasm. Might wanna check into it. That said, is it not fair game to question our lineups and choice of personnel considering how poor we've been offensively? Especially when offense is supposed to be Cohen's fort?. I think it's more than fair to ask what the hell he's thinking when guys like Rooker and Cole Gordon have their asses firmly glued to the pine while we're forced to watch guys like Seth Heck struggle to hit bloopers for a single. Either Cohen is intentionally handicapping the offense or he's incompetent at evaluating his best 9-10 hitters.

What the hell are you talking about? Neither Rooker nor Gordon are capable of playing SS/3B- that is not even remotely their position. Seth Heck was clearly one of our best options in the IF for last year and needed to be in the lineup.

This is what blows my mind with some of you- it's like you don't realize that offense isn't the only thing you have to consider when filling out a lineup card. You do realize that we can't just plug Cole Gordon or Brent Rooker in at SS, right? I won't defend everything Cohen did last year, but playing Seth Heck over Rooker or Gordon is a ridiculous thing to whine about.

Todd4State
07-03-2015, 01:57 AM
That's depressing. I thought he was our future 1b with a legit big bat.

Not really when you consider he will still be a freshman next year. His time will come.

Todd4State
07-03-2015, 01:59 AM
"Cannon" may be a bit of a stretch

Just like Ryan Rigby being a sure fire MLB player and Austin Riley being moved from the position that the Braves drafted him in the first round to play? I agree.

Todd4State
07-03-2015, 02:00 AM
I always cringe at the thought of putting someone at the DH before the season starts, especially penciling 3 or 4 guys into that slot. It can never be a good thing. To me, it either means you have too many guys who can't play defense or nobody has separated themselves offensively...or both. It's like church league softball when you got 5 guys with double knee braces who can't do anything but EH or play 1st.

With the way things are now, DH should be determined based who is hot or injured at the time. Totally agree.

Todd4State
07-03-2015, 02:02 AM
At least one of the JUCOs will start next year. Probably Lowe. If we're recruiting JUCO's to have them sit out a year, we might as well stop recruiting JUCO's.

Ralph
07-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Not really when you consider he will still be a freshman next year. His time will come.

Yes it is. Your first comment said he won't play much next year bc butch is working with him to pitch even though he's a better hitter. If he's good he'll play now not 2-3 years from now. I was excited to watch him last year but of course that didn't happen.

MsStateBaseball
07-03-2015, 10:14 AM
I think they got Lowe to back up 1B and be a power DH or PH from the left side. If Hump fails, they will have him. Gordon must need work defensively. Gordon in 2016 will pitch a lot. He will be another power bat from left side. After 2016, he will do more in the field. Sky's the limit for him.

War Machine Dawg
07-03-2015, 10:25 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Neither Rooker nor Gordon are capable of playing SS/3B- that is not even remotely their position. Seth Heck was clearly one of our best options in the IF for last year and needed to be in the lineup.

This is what blows my mind with some of you- it's like you don't realize that offense isn't the only thing you have to consider when filling out a lineup card. You do realize that we can't just plug Cole Gordon or Brent Rooker in at SS, right? I won't defend everything Cohen did last year, but playing Seth Heck over Rooker or Gordon is a ridiculous thing to whine about.

No shit, Captain Obvious. But Hump can play 3B, so you put him there and put Rooker or Gordon in LF. That gets you an extra bat in the lineup. Then we consistently have a midget slap hitter at DH. You put the guy not in LF at DH. That gets your best bats in the lineup. But hell, that takes a little creativity and brainpower, so I'm not surprised you can't figure it out.

KB21
07-03-2015, 10:27 AM
I think they got Lowe to back up 1B and be a power DH or PH from the left side. If Hump fails, they will have him. Gordon must need work defensively. Gordon in 2016 will pitch a lot. He will be another power bat from left side. After 2016, he will do more in the field. Sky's the limit for him.

Gordon is slugging .690+ in the Great Lakes League. If that translates to the fall and the spring, it's going to be tough to keep his bat out of the line up.

Todd4State
07-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Yes it is. Your first comment said he won't play much next year bc butch is working with him to pitch even though he's a better hitter. If he's good he'll play now not 2-3 years from now. I was excited to watch him last year but of course that didn't happen.

Just be patient with him. Probably 90% of players don't start as freshmen. He will be a very good player for us over the course of his career.