PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt we hire Orgeron???

West Houston Dog
07-01-2015, 01:18 PM
I know many on this board didn't want him. But the guy can recruit. LSU is just tearing it up in recruiting.

Did we offer and he turn us down? Did we not offer?

I know he is an intense gonzo coach. But sounds like the guy is recruiting like crazy. We NEED another homerun hitting recruiter AND it would have kept one away from a big SEC WEST rival. Heck I would have just taken him for a year even knowing he would probably leave. We saw the recruiting impact from Brewster in the short time we had him.

My noncounting vote would have been =hire him and make room for him on the staff someway.

smootness
07-01-2015, 01:27 PM
First, LSU always tears it up in recruiting.

Second, we wanted a defensive coordinator who can coach a defense, not one who is just there to recruit.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-01-2015, 01:27 PM
2 things

1. You don't hire a DC just to recruit he has to be able to coach.
2. LSU tears it up in recruiting every year. This isn't a new deal.

Political Hack
07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
If he would've been interested in pursuing a DL/Ass. HC/Recruiting Coord spot, there would've been some mutual interest I think. I honestly think he just used State's open position coaches as leverage to get more money.

maroonmania
07-01-2015, 01:55 PM
If he would've been interested in pursuing a DL/Ass. HC/Recruiting Coord spot, there would've been some mutual interest I think. I honestly think he just used State's open position coaches as leverage to get more money.

He likely would have only come to MSU as a DC. Given his roots, the profile of the program and having a child enrolled at LSU he preferred to be there and he got a DL/Ass. HC/Recruiting Coord type spot there. Not sure how much serious consideration we gave him as DC.

Bothrops
07-01-2015, 03:12 PM
We better get our top target DL prospects this year, or I'm going to be a bit disappointed with this class.

TrapGame
07-01-2015, 04:02 PM
The interpreter fees would have cost more than his salary.

He wanted free PBR in his contract.

Coach34
07-01-2015, 05:17 PM
He wanted the DC job- we thought about giving it to him. But LSU came calling and his sons are SR's this year. They go to school on the Northshore and he wanted to be able to watch them play this year. He chose LSU to be able to see his kids play on Friday nights

Joe Schmedlap
07-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Brackey Brett blackballed the hire.
Cruitin'...who needs 'cruitin'???

Dawgcentral
07-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Problems with hiring Orgeron.

Someone has to dump the urine out of the garbage cans after coaches meetings.

He's getting older, so if he stumbles and drops the mother of a recruit while piggy-backing her down the playing field, it's a liability issue.

As was mentioned, interpreters will have to be hired, not only at the podium, but for every cell call to recruits.

Brett Scheaffer. Or whatever the kid's name was.

Topless sunbathing won't be tolerated by his wife (on her back), by any swimming pool area in Starkville.

But yeah, he can indeed recruit.

TUSK
07-01-2015, 07:44 PM
I woulda loved to gotten Coach Oger in TTown as Assoc. DC/Asst. Recruit Coordinator along with Kiffen....

Dawgcentral
07-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Kiffen has one more year in the state of Bear Bryant. That's why he got no pay raise.

gravedigger
07-01-2015, 08:07 PM
My guess its a combination of two things:

Price tag

******* ability to work with him.

gravedigger
07-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Sorry. Mulenz ability to work with him.

TUSK
07-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Kiffen has one more year in the state of Bear Bryant. That's why he got no pay raise.

yes.

no.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 10:12 PM

He didn't get a raise because of his USC contract- and the Trojans are paying him like 1.5 million or something ridiculous to coach at Alabama.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 10:16 PM
I think with us and Orgeron and Manny it basically came down to:

1. Do we want a guy that is an average DC but he can recruit an elite enough defense that it won't matter that we're running Tampa 2 all the time?

OR

2. Do we want a guy that isn't an elite Orgeron type recruiter, but is still very good at recruiting that is creative, can disguise things, and creates lots of turnovers and sacks?

I would have been fine with either to be honest with you, but I would probably go with Manny over Orgeron.

I think Manny might be Dan's "Joe Lee Dunn" where they basically play off of each other and compliment each other well. Hopefully the ego issues that surfaced with Jackie and Joe Lee at the end won't surface though.

TUSK
07-01-2015, 10:45 PM
He didn't get a raise because of his USC contract- and the Trojans are paying him like 1.5 million or something ridiculous to coach at Alabama.

This^... any raise Bammer gives Kiffen reduces the amount USC pays to him...

Potentially one of the most questionable hires (I can recall) may turn out ok after all...

Jack Lambert
07-01-2015, 10:54 PM
2 things

1. You don't hire a DC just to recruit he has to be able to coach.
2. LSU tears it up in recruiting every year. This isn't a new deal.

He was a waste of money to LSU. The only thing he brings to the table is recruiting. LSU did that anyways. He'll be gone after this season when LSU only wins 7 games. As soon as they lose to Miss State the second week of the year pressure is going to be on Miles. He already does stupid things during the game, he will make more mistake trying to force the issue away.

I do like Mile. I think he is a good family man.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 11:13 PM
He was a waste of money to LSU. The only thing he brings to the table is recruiting. LSU did that anyways. He'll be gone after this season when LSU only wins 7 games. As soon as they lose to Miss State the second week of the year pressure is going to be on Miles. He already does stupid things during the game, he will make more mistake trying to force the issue away.

I do like Mile. I think he is a good family man.

I think Les is getting a lot of pressure for losing out on guys like Dak while they have QB issues not to mention losing guys like Speedy Noil, Landon Collins, etc.

If Miles was recruiting for us as our head coach, he would probably be pretty terrible at recruiting. I give LSU fans more credit for their recruiting than I do Miles.

Todd4State
07-01-2015, 11:19 PM
This^... any raise Bammer gives Kiffen reduces the amount USC pays to him...

Potentially one of the most questionable hires (I can recall) may turn out ok after all...

When you think about his price tag, he's actually pretty low risk. Saban was never going to let him act like a spoiled brat. And I know people think he is an asshole for obvious reasons, but Kiffin is a good play caller and can develop QB's pretty well.

Essentially, this is a low risk audition for Kiffin with Saban. I wouldn't be surprised if Kiffin lands another HC job somewhere once his contract with USC expires though.

FISHDAWG
07-02-2015, 07:51 AM
I prefer Manny - that's why we didn't hire the Ogre **

maroonmania
07-02-2015, 08:41 AM
I think it boiled down to the fact that at the DC position the positives for O were that he has a higher profile name and is a grade A recruiter. For Manny the positives were a better tactician as a DC (certainly as lot more experience in the role) and Mullen felt like he could get a real 3 year minimum commitment out of Diaz this time. I believe Mullen was getting as tired of our DC revolving door as anyone and decided to go with someone he felt comfortable with that wouldn't jump to leave at the first opportunity.

5 Star
07-02-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm sure he wanted the DC job, and we weren't willing. LSU has the ability (and location) to get him to come there for a lesser opportunity. I doubt Mullen was going to pay that much for a recruiter, but I agree with you that we would have benefited from his talents, just like we did with Brewster.

Dawg496
07-02-2015, 09:10 AM
I think given probably any other year in Mullen's tenure, we might consider O more heavily. But considering that this is our most talented offense ever with a QB like Dak, we need the defense to just not lose the games for us. So it makes sense we went the coaching route vs. recruiting.

I still voted for hiring both, however we could make it happen. We need to pony up and get recruiters like Brewster and O on staff and keep them here for multiple years.

TUSK
07-02-2015, 09:43 AM
When you think about his price tag, he's actually pretty low risk. Saban was never going to let him act like a spoiled brat. And I know people think he is an asshole for obvious reasons, but Kiffin is a good play caller and can develop QB's pretty well.

Essentially, this is a low risk audition for Kiffin with Saban. I wouldn't be surprised if Kiffin lands another HC job somewhere once his contract with USC expires though.

Good points, Todd... $700K/yr is pretty cheap when the ROI is taken in to consideration...

War Machine Dawg
07-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Sorry. Mulenz ability to work with him.

Is it really so damn hard to add an apostrophe? That was what was called for in your sentence. Mullenz = plural.

sandwolf
07-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I know Brewster was known as a good recruiter, but did we actually sign anyone of note because of him? Seems like I remember him initially getting some credit for signing Fred Ross, and then later it came out that Les Koennig was more the reason for us signing him. Then I remember him getting a guy from Memphis (I think he was a slot receiver) to commit for the class of 2014, but we didn't wind up taking him. And it seems like he also may have been the one that led the charge with Robert Washington and a couple of his teammates committing really early, but none of those guys wound up signing.

I was just curious because the guy was on staff for less than a year and while I do remember him making a good bit of noise, I can't remember him actually accomplishing anything of note on the recruiting trail, yet I often see people talk about how much we benefited from his talents.

sandwolf
07-02-2015, 10:00 AM
And I know people think he is an asshole for obvious reasons, but Kiffin is a good play caller and can develop QB's pretty well.

What he did with Blake Sims last year was nothing short of amazing.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2015, 10:05 AM
I know Brewster was known as a good recruiter, but did we actually sign anyone of note because of him? Seems like I remember him initially getting some credit for signing Fred Ross, and then later it came out that Les Koennig was more the reason for us signing him. Then I remember him getting a guy from Memphis (I think he was a slot receiver) to commit for the class of 2014, but we didn't wind up taking him. And it seems like he also may have been the one that led the charge with Robert Washington and a couple of his teammates committing really early, but none of those guys wound up signing.

I was just curious because the guy was on staff for less than a year and while I do remember him making a good bit of noise, I can't remember him actually accomplishing anything of note on the recruiting trail, yet I often see people talk about how much we benefited from his talents.

Brewster's greatness was more myth than facts.

TUSK
07-02-2015, 10:12 AM
What he did with Blake Sims last year was nothing short of amazing.

yup, if Kiffen can rewrite record books with a RB throwing, I feel pretty confident he can do (at least/almost) as well with a QB throwing it... even without #9....

maroonmania
07-02-2015, 10:14 AM

I do think, regardless of how many guys he personally signed, that he taught our staff a lot of the tricks of the trade in modern day recruiting. He certainly taught us to identify and get on kids a lot earlier than we were doing before he came on staff.

EAVdog
07-02-2015, 10:18 AM
I anticipate the LSU situation to be utter chaos this year. I don't see how Ogeron can fit into the mix without getting either his feelings hurt or the big head and the other Defensive staff having their feelings hurt. Way too many cooks in the kitchen. Ogeron ins't going to take any blame for Kevin Steele's mess. Assuming there will be on, which having seen Steele's last tenure at DC is a pretty safe bet.

Behrdawg
07-02-2015, 11:25 AM
It's easy to recruit when you aggressively "play the game".

sandwolf
07-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Brewster's greatness was more myth than facts.

That's kind of what I thought.

1bigdawg
07-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I still voted for hiring both, however we could make it happen. We need to pony up and get recruiters like Brewster and O on staff and keep them here for multiple years.

This is the key and may be why we did not try to get Orgeron in the DL/AHC/RC post; we were not confident he would stay long enough to make a difference.

1bigdawg
07-02-2015, 05:38 PM
One thing to like about Orgeron: I believe he will negative recruit against TSUN.