PDA

View Full Version : Sally weighs in on Tunsil situation

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2015, 09:31 AM
In all of his ultra vanity & limited brain power, he actually makes a good point about the Agents now being witnesses if this goes to court. It's not longer a he said, she said

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2511635-ole-miss-football-nobody-wins-in-this-laremy-tunsil-mess

msstate7
07-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Interesting. I wonder if this ensures a guilty plea and tunsil just lets it go

Statefan
07-01-2015, 09:41 AM
But did Sallee remind us all for the 100th time that Mullen was on the hot seat???

FlabLoser
07-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Sallee says he's sad:

"Still, nobody is going to be a winner in this mess, and that makes me sad."

I'll bet Sallee is sad. He's done nothing but praise and hype Ole Miss since Hugh Freeze walked in the door.

codeDawg
07-01-2015, 09:54 AM
This is going to blow over. The step-dad knew he was off the gravy train when Tunsil beat the shit out of him. From there, he just made sure he was in the driver's seat of the escape pod. There is no incentive for him to keep this moving forward if everyone does what they need to do, and the DA will let criminal charges die if he isn't pursuing it.

The only thing that could be an issue is if the NCAA suddenly develops a pulse, which they haven't done so far. Not sure why that would change now. Although, it should get somebody's attention when a high-profile athlete and the word "agent" are in the headlines of every major sports site for a day.

AlSwearengen
07-01-2015, 10:05 AM
This is going to blow over. The step-dad knew he was off the gravy train when Tunsil beat the shit out of him. From there, he just made sure he was in the driver's seat of the escape pod. There is no incentive for him to keep this moving forward if everyone does what they need to do, and the DA will let criminal charges die if he isn't pursuing it.

The only thing that could be an issue is if the NCAA suddenly develops a pulse, which they haven't done so far. Not sure why that would change now. Although, it should get somebody's attention when a high-profile athlete and the word "agent" are in the headlines of every major sports site for a day.

This sounds right. The step dad, in the end is going to take what he can get, which is hush money from the bears. The only other possibility is if he sees a bigger payday through a civil suit against tunsil's future earnings. I think he goes with the hush money and there is a family reconciliation.

FlabLoser
07-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Flab's prediction:

Stepdad remains pissed and continues to press the issue. The Ole Miss camp delays trial long enough for the football season to end. At some point after the season (and post season), doesn't matter how long after, Tunsil will settle the case with undisclosed compensation towards the plantiff. Tunsil will live happily ever after in the NFL starting in 2016.

The NCAA will be powerless to discover any information because the legal trial never happened. Nothing will happen to Ole Miss because the guilty parties are no longer in school and you can't punish innocent kids still on the team.

And #TheNetwork lives on.

missouridawg
07-01-2015, 10:18 AM
So stepdaddy got carved out... Grabbed the gas can and threatened to burn it down? Nice. Nothing will happen, but it's very clear that stepdaddy was not getting his benefits package as previously promised.

Political Hack
07-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Tunsil will be suited up and play first game of the year and no one will know what's going on by that time. It will mysteriously die.

In the background, OM lawyers will be working probono to defend Tunsil and be threatening the NCAA that if they hurt his draft stock and he's unable to pursue a multi-million career, they will have a hugee law suit on their hands... to which the NCAA will cower, tuck tail, and walk away.

Once we, as a fan base and as an institution, recognize that the NCAA has no real legitimate power and that the courts will absolutely crucify them given the NCAA's propensity to force rules and regulations on individuals who have absolutely no affiliation or connection to the organization, we will all be much better off. OM has called their bluff since the 90's. We enforce their ridiculous rules for them. No bagels with cream cheese please!!!! Plain bagels only.

FlabLoser
07-01-2015, 10:50 AM
^^THIS

Bracky needs to be re-assigned and replaced with a lawyer that understands how to play the game.

starkvegasdawg
07-01-2015, 10:56 AM
^^THIS

Bracky needs to be re-assigned and replaced with a lawyer that understands how to play the game.

Or just a potted plant. Every now and then a lawyer will say something stupid. A potted plant would just sit there in complete silence and that's what you need a compliance officer to do.

Liverpooldawg
07-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Flab's prediction:

you can't punish innocent kids still on the team.

And #TheNetwork lives on.

USC and Reggie Bush beg to differ.

Jack Lambert
07-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Tunsil will be suited up and play first game of the year and no one will know what's going on by that time. It will mysteriously die.

In the background, OM lawyers will be working probono to defend Tunsil and be threatening the NCAA that if they hurt his draft stock and he's unable to pursue a multi-million career, they will have a hugee law suit on their hands... to which the NCAA will cower, tuck tail, and walk away.

Once we, as a fan base and as an institution, recognize that the NCAA has no real legitimate power and that the courts will absolutely crucify them given the NCAA's propensity to force rules and regulations on individuals who have absolutely no affiliation or connection to the organization, we will all be much better off. OM has called their bluff since the 90's. We enforce their ridiculous rules for them. No bagels with cream cheese please!!!! Plain bagels only.

Unless he hurts his hand in the preseason.

HSVDawg
07-01-2015, 12:39 PM
In all of his ultra vanity & limited brain power, he actually makes a good point about the Agents now being witnesses if this goes to court. It's not longer a he said, she said

Gee, I wonder who the agents will side with if they are questioned for criminal testimony? The superstar athlete who can make them millions of dollars, or the pissed off step dad who is mad that they are even around. There is no doubt what direction this goes if the agents are called in as witnesses, regardless of what actually happened. If you're Tunsil, the agents being there to see the whole thing can in no way, shape, or form be construed as a negative for him.

Political Hack
07-01-2015, 12:46 PM
why is it "agents" instead of "agent"? Was it two guys from the same firm or something? Wouldn't the two essentially be competition for one another unless they were from the same firm?

Anyone know what Bus Cook drives? By all accounts he's a good guy, but he's pretty involved with MS pros. Pure speculation on my part that it could potentially be him, but he's a well known guy that represents a lot of kids that come through the MS schools (was Favre's guy).

Saltydog
07-01-2015, 12:52 PM
will get some "hush monies" to appease him and this will fade into oblivion.

Political Hack
07-01-2015, 12:59 PM

pretty easy solution there, isn't it?

Joe Schmedlap
07-01-2015, 01:04 PM
The author of this fluff article stresses that Tunsil may be clean as a whistle, pure as the driven snow, yet doesn't mention a very important clue. The writer fails to cast any inquisitive light on how a family of modest means at best could afford to uproot and move to Oxford, MS. No one in the media wants to even see the dots, let along attempt to connect the dots.

thf24
07-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Gee, I wonder who the agents will side with if they are questioned for criminal testimony? The superstar athlete who can make them millions of dollars, or the pissed off step dad who is mad that they are even around. There is no doubt what direction this goes if the agents are called in as witnesses, regardless of what actually happened. If you're Tunsil, the agents being there to see the whole thing can in no way, shape, or form be construed as a negative for him.

Agents don't care about affecting players' college careers, that's well documented. Doesn't seem to hurt their business a whole lot. And wouldn't it be better for them if Tunsil was declared ineligible and had to sit out this year instead of playing and risking further injury? He's at worst a top 10 pick either way. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that these "agents" would side one way or another. They and Tunsil might already be too invested with each other for Tunsil to tell them to hit the road over his last year of college eligibility, especially since it's always been questionable just how interested he is in playing college football anyway.

FlabLoser
07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
If I'm Tunsil, with only a couple years loyalty to Ole Miss, I'd ask some NFL people what he draft status would do if he were declared ineligible by the NCAA. Does he have more to gain sitting out and being guaranteed a top 10 pick vs risking injury in the college football season? It might be worth it for him for the NCAA to discover that he is ineligible.

Johnson85
07-01-2015, 01:48 PM

I doubt the NCAA would be scared by a lawsuit like that. They're already just about out of the enforcement game other than encouraging schools to self report unimportant stuff. Agents seem to be the one area where they actually somewhat care though, so they might take and interest and if they do, they won't be particularly scared by UM lawyers. Their only real threat is for antitrust related violations, and it doesn't look like Tunsil's case would be a good vehicle for that based on what we know now.

We certainly need a lawyer to manage compliance and our interactions with the NCAA, but giving them the finger is not the way to win. It's playing the game by the unwritten rules.

Maroonthirteen
07-01-2015, 02:05 PM

This is what will happen. I think step daddy develops amnesia soon.

Political Hack
07-01-2015, 02:11 PM
I doubt the NCAA would be scared by a lawsuit like that. They're already just about out of the enforcement game other than encouraging schools to self report unimportant stuff. Agents seem to be the one area where they actually somewhat care though, so they might take and interest and if they do, they won't be particularly scared by UM lawyers. Their only real threat is for antitrust related violations, and it doesn't look like Tunsil's case would be a good vehicle for that based on what we know now.

We certainly need a lawyer to manage compliance and our interactions with the NCAA, but giving them the finger is not the way to win. It's playing the game by the unwritten rules.

To suggest they'd be scared was probably inaccurate. I should've said they'd be fighting a losing battle and they know it. You can't impose organizational restrictions on random people. It's a non-starter. To somehow suggest that you or I or any other random joe blow out there has to follow NCAA rules is absurd. if that's legally acceptable, I'm going to make Smitty join the NAACP. Sorry Smitty. You have to follow their rules now.

Giving them the finger is the easiest way to get out of stuff. Most people who follow these things closely would agree that Auburn and Ole Miss are two of the more suspect teams in America, yet they continually skate. Why? Because their head coach calls out NCAA reps in public during the middle of pressers (IOW, giving them the finger).

LC Dawg
07-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know any Georgia boosters? Are they still pissed about Tunsil's recruitment? This may be a good time for them to get involved and see if they can make this uncomfortable for Ole Miss. Maybe throw some Georgia money at the stepdad to counter the hush money. Of course then the Bears will claim that Georgia is obsessed with them.

Mjoelner34
07-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know any Georgia boosters? Are they still pissed about Tunsil's recruitment? This may be a good time for them to get involved and see if they can make this uncomfortable for Ole Miss. Maybe throw some Georgia money at the stepdad to counter the hush money. Of course then the Bears will claim that Georgia is obsessed with them.

Don't know about boosters but their former President, Michael Adams, resigned and joined the NCAA Infractions Committee in 2013. You'd think he'd have an interest in this.

smootness
07-01-2015, 04:16 PM
To suggest they'd be scared was probably inaccurate. I should've said they'd be fighting a losing battle and they know it. You can't impose organizational restrictions on random people. It's a non-starter. To somehow suggest that you or I or any other random joe blow out there has to follow NCAA rules is absurd. if that's legally acceptable, I'm going to make Smitty join the NAACP. Sorry Smitty. You have to follow their rules now.

Giving them the finger is the easiest way to get out of stuff. Most people who follow these things closely would agree that Auburn and Ole Miss are two of the more suspect teams in America, yet they continually skate. Why? Because their head coach calls out NCAA reps in public during the middle of pressers (IOW, giving them the finger).

I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Tunsil isn't a 'random person'. Every NCAA scholarship athlete signs an agreement and becomes a voluntary member of the school, which itself is a voluntary member of the NCAA and subject to its rules and regulations.

HSVDawg
07-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Agents don't care about affecting players' college careers, that's well documented. Doesn't seem to hurt their business a whole lot. And wouldn't it be better for them if Tunsil was declared ineligible and had to sit out this year instead of playing and risking further injury? He's at worst a top 10 pick either way. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that these "agents" would side one way or another. They and Tunsil might already be too invested with each other for Tunsil to tell them to hit the road over his last year of college eligibility, especially since it's always been questionable just how interested he is in playing college football anyway.

I'm not talking about agents affecting college careers, I'm talking about agents not wanting to piss off a guy who is going to likely be a top 5 draft pick by testifying against him in court. That's not good for business.

sandwolf
07-01-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm not talking about agents affecting college careers, I'm talking about agents not wanting to piss off a guy who is going to likely be a top 5 draft pick by testifying against him in court. That's not good for business.

The idea that any of this will ever see the inside of a courtroom is a complete pipe dream, but if it did, I don't think an agent would perjure himself to cover up an NCAA rule infraction.....that would be incredibly stupid.

Liverpooldawg
07-01-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Tunsil isn't a 'random person'. Every NCAA scholarship athlete signs an agreement and becomes a voluntary member of the school, which itself is a voluntary member of the NCAA and subject to its rules and regulations.

THIS. The NCAA is a voluntary organization and as such has the power to enforce it's by laws on it's members. They can't do anything at all to Joe Booster but they can do something to their members. The violation isn't ole Joe giving Mr. Five Star a car, it's Mr. Five Star accepting it.

FlabLoser
07-01-2015, 06:41 PM
The NCAA is a monopoly that students are forced to work with to gain employment in their chosen profession of pro football.

They can and will eventually get sued in some landmark case for unfair or unreasonable abuse of power.

Barking 13
07-02-2015, 12:02 AM

This is the angle I think everybody is forgetting... get a few big boys on the scent and it doesn't go away.. given the state of affairs these days, wouldn't it be really interesting for some rebel (flag) hatin' folks to want to see Ole Miss crucified and open a can of worms on that whole class...

starkvegasdawg
07-02-2015, 06:40 AM

I took that to mean the general public being forced to abide by rules of an organization of which they are not a member. Basically saying if I saw Dak walking down Main Street I couldn't tell him to come join me in Mugshots for a burger and a beer my treat. I never agreed to abide by any NCAA rules so why to I have to follow them kind of thing. Or I could have misunderstood the whole conversation, too.

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Don't know about boosters but their former President, Michael Adams, resigned and joined the NCAA Infractions Committee in 2013. You'd think he'd have an interest in this.
Adams won't care - now Chancellor of Pepperdine. Of course, with his experience in Infractions, watch Pepperdine add football and become the next USC**

843dawg
07-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Why do people think we turn ourselves in so often for crap that doesn't matter? So the NCAA will leave us alone. This Tunsil junk will never gain legs. Even if the agents know exactly what happened or gave improper benefits, do you really think the NFL is gonna let them blow the lid off this? Hell no! The NFL wants this kid to be drafted and playing on a roster next fall. They will do whatever it takes. People who want this to backfire on the Bears are just stressing themselves out for no reason. Jmo of course.

FlabLoser
07-02-2015, 08:09 AM
The NFL is drafting this kid in the 1st round no matter if he plays another down at Ole Miss or not.

mic
07-02-2015, 08:31 AM
The NFL is drafting this kid in the 1st round no matter if he plays another down at Ole Miss or not.

True... Every NFL team , every scout, and probably LT himself would bypass the college season if it were up to them.
Playing this year wouldn't help or hurt his draft position... he is top 10 regardless...