PDA

View Full Version : Garrison Brooks update

TheRef
06-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Brooks has been upped to #99 in Rival's 2017 national basketball rankings.

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 05:43 PM
We have a chance to clean up in the '16, '17, and '18 classes. Kegler and Peters in '16 (possible Carter or Crowfield), Brooks in '17, and Woodard in '18. High major level talent and you build around it.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 05:57 PM
2016 will probably be a 7 player class.

BeardoMSU
06-30-2015, 05:58 PM
We have a chance to clean up in the '16, '17, and '18 classes.

Especially when we make the tourney in Ben's first year, after 3 years wandering around the Sinai Desert.

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Not sure if anyone knows this but Q Weatherspoon has a younger brother going into the 9th grade at Velma Jackson that is really good and could be better than Q. He's left handed like his brother and close to 6-3 right now.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Not sure if anyone knows this but Q Weatherspoon has a younger brother going into the 9th grade at Velma Jackson that is really good and could be better than Q. He's left handed like his brother and close to 6-3 right now.

Nick is going to the 11th grade unless you're referring to an even younger brother. Nick is a good player. How big his recruitment gets will depend on how much he grows. He's 6'2" if he can get as tall as Q he could be a SEC player.

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Also, I see Garrison Brooks as the number 75 player in the country, according to Scout.

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 06:09 PM
The young man I'm referring to will be a 9th grader next year.
Nick is going to the 11th grade unless you're referring to an even younger brother. Nick is a good player. How big his recruitment gets will depend on how much he grows. He's 6'2" if he can get as tall as Q he could be a SEC player.

TheRef
06-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Also, I see Garrison Brooks as the number 75 player in the country, according to Scout.

Sorry about that. I meant Rival's not Scout. Fixed it to reflect that.

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 06:13 PM
No worries. He was bumped up recently to 75. Either way, he is a big time talent.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 06:16 PM
The young man I'm referring to will be a 9th grader next year.

Oh ok. I don't know him. I only know Q & Nick.

messageboardsuperhero
07-01-2015, 12:20 AM
It's weird how basketball recruiting is in MS... We always seem to have the connections to sign the top talent in the state, unless they go out of state to Kentucky or another elite school. It just seems like even in their best 3 year stretch in school history, UM has very little appeal for basketball recruits in MS. Why is it that we rarely ever go head-to-head with them for talent like we do in football?

Also, our former players must have much better genes or something because they seem to produce a lot of basketball talent.

BeardoMSU
07-01-2015, 12:27 AM
UM has very little appeal for basketball recruits in MS.

Or outside the state, for that matter.

They've been to the Tourney 8 times in their history, 2 of those being in the last 3 years, while we were getting our dicks dragged through the gravel, and they still couldn't put any distance (or catch up, perhaps?) between us. They couldn't get Malik. They couldn't get anyone.

Johnson85
07-01-2015, 08:16 AM
It's weird how basketball recruiting is in MS... We always seem to have the connections to sign the top talent in the state, unless they go out of state to Kentucky or another elite school. It just seems like even in their best 3 year stretch in school history, UM has very little appeal for basketball recruits in MS. Why is it that we rarely ever go head-to-head with them for talent like we do in football?

Also, our former players must have much better genes or something because they seem to produce a lot of basketball talent.

We've had some built in advantages in recruiting football and basketball for the last 30 years. We've graduated a lot more people, haven't had nearly the racial baggage, kept more of our graduates in state and nearby (I think; this may only have been true recently as more of their graduates have been from out of state). The difference is, in football, we managed our program so poorly for so long, and they had more boosters that cared more than ours. Basketball is just the opposite. I don't know that they managed their program poorly as they've had some pretty decent coaches, but they just haven't cared.

In football, I think it will be really hard for either program to separate itself. It's been so balanced for so long, and there's just so much money in it, and the appeal of playing for an SEC team so great, that it's really going to be hard for either team to separate itself over the long term. On the flipside, in basketball, it's going to be hard for them to catchup. They had a huge opportunity the last few years where had they already upgraded the tad pad, and had the right coach in place, they could have really closed the gap. While Kennedy has had some success, I don't think just tourney appearances is the type of success that will get momentum going with boosters and recruiting. If Howland turns out to be what everybody expects him to be, it may be a little while before another window opens up for them.