PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Carter basketball C/O '16

messageboardsuperhero
06-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Apparently Howland offered him today. MSU legacy from Starkville. Any of y'all know anything about him?

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Son of former MSU player Greg Carter. Performed really well at MSU camp last week. Shot the lights out. Howland is high on him now and they extended an offer. I don't know if he can commit right now because they want him to put on weight and see how he progresses. He may commit tomorrow for all I know.

messageboardsuperhero
06-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIvx3jAnZ7Y

Looks like Barry Stewart to me- but needs to add lots of muscle.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 05:19 PM
http://youtu.be/zCV-e8Wj7OU

#4 in the video

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
nice touch w/ his feet set, don't see him creating much though. the only measurables I found were 6'2" 150, any idea how accurate these are?

also, what does he bring to the table that Dunlap didn't bring? IDK if Dunlap's shot was as good as advertised, or anything a/b his attitude/work ethic, but they seem to have similar size & skills. I have blind faith in his evaluations, J/W what sets them apart in Howland's eyes.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 05:38 PM
He's 6'4" 160lbs.

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Dunlap was around 5-9 and shouldn't have gotten an MSU offer. He is a mid major talent at best. He can shoot the rock, but defensive limitations because of size were an issue.

Brad Stevens
06-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Apparently Howland offered him today. MSU legacy from Starkville. Any of y'all know anything about him?

Back when I was in school at State, a buddy of mine and me coached Tyson when he was in 5th and 6th grade. I'm biased, but I think he has the potential to be a great player. He is a pure ball handler, and plays exceptionally well off the ball screen. I'm not comparing skill level, but his game is similar to that of Steph Curry -- makes plays with the ball in his hands and will knock down a shot if you don't play the screen well.

His obvious downsides are he is very underweight now, but hopefully can put on some pounds. He also is average and somewhat lazy on defense, but a lot of that comes down to him saving energy for his offense. He has been around basketball ever since he was a kid, and I really hope we give him a shot.

missouridawg
06-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Back when I was in school at State, a buddy of mine and me coached Tyson when he was in 5th and 6th grade. I'm biased, but I think he has the potential to be a great player. He is a pure ball handler, and plays exceptionally well off the ball screen. I'm not comparing skill level, but his game is similar to that of Steph Curry -- makes plays with the ball in his hands and will knock down a shot if you don't play the screen well.

His obvious downsides are he is very underweight now, but hopefully can put on some pounds. He also is average and somewhat lazy on defense, but a lot of that comes down to him saving energy for his offense. He has been around basketball ever since he was a kid, and I really hope we give him a shot.

So a 5th or 6th grader has a game that compares to Steph Curry? Steph Curry shoots over 40% from 3. SAY youth basketball didn't even have a three point shot when I referee'd it in 2002-2006.

Brad Stevens
06-30-2015, 09:45 PM
So a 5th or 6th grader has a game that compares to Steph Curry? Steph Curry shoots over 40% from 3. SAY youth basketball didn't even have a three point shot when I referee'd it in 2002-2006.

If you read my post, I said he is not at the same skill level - I am comparing playing styles. And yes, he was knocking down 3's back then, but I also have followed him since then, because I knew he would be a good player. Plus my other buddy coaches basketball at the high school level and has played against Tyson the past few years.

Jacksondevildog
06-30-2015, 09:48 PM
You can talk to some people. They have no clue what the hell you are talking about when you make a comparison like that, but it was perfectly clear to me what you meant.

Intramural All-American
06-30-2015, 10:07 PM

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he play up in that league also, as in he was the youngest player in the league?

Brad Stevens
06-30-2015, 10:14 PM
If I'm not mistaken, didn't he play up in that league also, as in he was the youngest player in the league?

Yes, he played in the 6th grade league when he was in 5th grade, and the 7-8th grade league when he was in 6th grade (I think that's right). Our last year, we also had Caleb Wilson (Coach Wilson's son) on our team. Pretty stacked for Starkville.

Dawg61
07-01-2015, 01:48 AM
his game is similar to that of Steph Curry

Holy shit

smootness
07-01-2015, 10:43 AM
He seems to be able to shoot and hit the floater, but I don't see the dribbling and passing, which is a huge part of Steph's game.

And I'm knocking Carter when I say that. If he becomes Barry Stewart, I'll take that all day.