PDA

View Full Version : 2nd string OL...

maroonmania
06-30-2015, 02:44 PM
So heard a little piece of Bounds talking with Bonner about the MSU OL and got me to wondering. Who are the backups at each position? Assuming starters are:

LT- Warren
LG- Desper
C - Clayborn
RG- Malone
RT- Senior

then I'm thinking our backups are (minus Flowers):

LT- Rankin? Jenkins?
LG- Calhoun
C - Johnson
RG- Carter? Thomas?
RT- Robinson

Any different thoughts?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 02:52 PM
LT - Warren/Rankin (I still think Rankin wins out)
LG - Malone (Johnson)
C - Clayborn (Johnson)
RG - Desper (Calhoun)
RT - Senior (Jenkins)

I don't think Hev would play more than 8 right now. Rankin or Warren is the swing OT, Calhoun the swing OG, & Johnson the backup Center.

Todd4State
06-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Any particular reason why you think Rankin wins out? He hasn't blown me away so far.

And I'm not trying to argue- just curious.

Johnson85
06-30-2015, 03:03 PM
LG - Malone (Johnson)
C - Clayborn (Johnson)
RG - Desper (Calhoun)
RT - Senior (Jenkins)

I don't think Hev would play more than 8 right now. Rankin or Warren is the swing OT, Calhoun the swing OG, & Johnson the backup Center.

I thought people were raving about Jenkins?

I would think we would have a swing tackle for the most important snaps, but I would have thought that our offense would click well enough that he would still give lots of meaningful snaps to Jenkins if he was doing well.

maroonmania
06-30-2015, 03:03 PM
LG - Malone (Johnson)
C - Clayborn (Johnson)
RG - Desper (Calhoun)
RT - Senior (Jenkins)

Will be interesting to see if Robinson can get in the 2 deep as a 6th year player.

Homedawg
06-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Depth chart unimportant. Top 8-9 guys. A couple can play 2 spots. The 5 starters plus Jenkins Calhoun Johnson and Robinson. Rankin going to have to get after it to make it. It's on him.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Any particular reason why you think Rankin wins out? He hasn't blown me away so far.

And I'm not trying to argue- just curious.

I just think he's the more talented of the 2 & by August he'll have the playbook down enough where his talent will show & he won't be out there thinking.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 03:12 PM
I thought people were raving about Jenkins?

I would think we would have a swing tackle for the most important snaps, but I would have thought that our offense would click well enough that he would still give lots of meaningful snaps to Jenkins if he was doing well.

Elgton is going to be very good. I just think that whoever doesn't win the Rankin/Warren battle will be the swing OT.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Will be interesting to see if Robinson can get in the 2 deep as a 6th year player.

I don't expect Robinson to ever take a meaningful snap. He's not 1 of our top 4 OT & may not be the 5th.

War Machine Dawg
06-30-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't expect Robinson to ever take a meaningful snap. He's not 1 of our top 4 OT & may not be the 5th.

I have no idea why the hell he wasn't processed. He's been one of the biggest busts I can remember. He's using a scholly that could be of better use with a developmental 3 star.

maroonmania
06-30-2015, 04:35 PM
I have no idea why the hell he wasn't processed. He's been one of the biggest busts I can remember. He's using a scholly that could be of better use with a developmental 3 star.

I mean I can understand he wants a SR year and enjoys being part of the program but to be a 6th year guy and you likely won't make the 2 deep? That's not good. In that line of thinking, are we going to have to have any more attrition to get down to the 85 number on schollys?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 04:56 PM

He's not on scholarship. He's in Grad school & that is being taken care of.

Coach34
06-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Mark my words- Damien will be in uniform this Fall and on the 2 deep. He left Spring practice ahead of Rankin

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Mark my words- Damien will be in uniform this Fall and on the 2 deep. He left Spring practice ahead of Rankin

I'll take that bet.

Homedawg
06-30-2015, 05:22 PM
I'll take that bet.

What bet? That he dresses and is on the 2 deep? Or that he left spring ahead of rankin?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 05:29 PM
What bet? That he dresses and is on the 2 deep? Or that he left spring ahead of rankin?

That he's on the 2 deep.

5 Star
06-30-2015, 05:33 PM

Agreed and he has a good shot to start. The light came on for him in preseason last year.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Agreed and he has a good shot to start. The light came on for him in preseason last year.

He wasn't starting over Senior last year. If Robinson plays any significant snaps this year we're screwed.

War Machine Dawg
06-30-2015, 06:08 PM
He wasn't starting over Senior last year. If Robinson plays any significant snaps this year we're screwed.

Completely agree. He's freaking useless. Big, but soft and slow. Bad combo for an OL in the SEC.

Homedawg
06-30-2015, 06:10 PM

Significant snaps and being in "2 deep" 2 totally different things.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Significant snaps and being in "2 deep" 2 totally different things.

Ok if you're talking the coaches listing him as 2nd team RT similar to how they always listed the Washington kid at DT a few years ago then sure. If you're talking about 2 deep in terms of next in line to play behind the starter then no way.

War Machine Dawg
06-30-2015, 06:20 PM
1) Ok if you're talking the coaches listing him as 2nd team RT similar to how they always listed the Washington kid at DT a few years ago then sure. 2)If you're talking about 2 deep in terms of next in line to play behind the starter then no way.

1) Yep. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see DR "listed" as 2nd team this season. It's a Mullen tradition.
2) No way in hell he's the "actual" 2nd string OT. That will be the loser of Rankin/Warren.

Coach34
06-30-2015, 06:56 PM

Coming out of Spring Jenkins,Damien and Rankin are battling for time. Warren and Senior are far and away 1 and 2

I'm not telling you what I think- I'm telling you what I know on this

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Coming out of Spring Jenkins,Damien and Rankin are battling for time. Warren and Senior are far and away 1 and 2

I'm not telling you what I think- I'm telling you what I know on this

I'm not guessing on this either. I guess we'll find out in September.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Any chance Desper moves to center & the swing guard takes his spot if Clayborn goes down? I don't feel overly confident with Johnson at C after the spring game.

TUSK
06-30-2015, 10:26 PM

Ahem.... who told you that you can talk like that?*

Todd4State
06-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Any chance Desper moves to center & the swing guard takes his spot if Clayborn goes down? I don't feel overly confident with Johnson at C after the spring game.

I think there is a reason why Desper is at guard as opposed to center. And it involves snapping.

Homedawg
06-30-2015, 11:56 PM

None. Desper won't be a center

1bigdawg
07-01-2015, 11:05 AM
We have 6 Juniors on the Oline. If Rankin is good, but not starting then it would be great if we could redshirt him for class balance.

Political Hack
07-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Completely agree. He's freaking useless. Big, but soft and slow. Bad combo for an OL in the SEC.

Did Damien steal your girlfriend or something? Really no need to rip someone like that who's dedicated the last half-decade plus to fighting for the dawgs. I think everyone understands that he's not living up to a 5-star tag, but then again I'm not sure why anyone pays attention to those rankings.