PDA

View Full Version : Man, I miss College football.

Rayburn8
06-30-2015, 12:43 AM
Watching a re-run of USCw-Arizona. Close game, band playing during a real tense moment. The band might actually be one of my favorite parts of College football. That timely fight song is just awesome.

What do you miss most about College Football?

5 Star
06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
I like the event, or the spectacle, of it all. To me it's all about the Saturday, from College Gameday all the way to the West Coast game about 10:00 pm. It's an all-day party, and always something going on in the background. Plus, it's Fall.

This explains why I have never cared much about bowl season except for around New Year's Day. I like a bunch of game jumbled together, and I think most other people do too. That's why the NCAA tournament is so popular, and that's also why bowl viewers continue to dip except for the big ones. The powers that be are so concerned about mathematical TV sets than they are the quality of their product and long term, I think that's a mistake. Bowl season could be an unprecedented spectacle if they would put them all on the same weekend, or maybe two weekends. I understand making the national championship stand alone, that's obvious.

MSUDawg99
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
The all day affair - from tailgating to watching other SEC games while tailgating before or after our own game...grilling, eating, dranky dranking, the sound of cowbells, the sounds of the band playing our songs, the songs played at the stadium during breaks, I miss/love it all. Football is by far my fave sport of the big 3. Gives me chills to think about it. I even miss the nervous stomach I get every Sat a.m. up until kickoff. But a lil alky helps with that. Ha.

dawgs
06-30-2015, 04:48 PM
I like the event, or the spectacle, of it all. To me it's all about the Saturday, from College Gameday all the way to the West Coast game about 10:00 pm. It's an all-day party, and always something going on in the background. Plus, it's Fall.

This explains why I have never cared much about bowl season except for around New Year's Day. I like a bunch of game jumbled together, and I think most other people do too. That's why the NCAA tournament is so popular, and that's also why bowl viewers continue to dip except for the big ones. The powers that be are so concerned about mathematical TV sets than they are the quality of their product and long term, I think that's a mistake. Bowl season could be an unprecedented spectacle if they would put them all on the same weekend, or maybe two weekends. I understand making the national championship stand alone, that's obvious.

The networks (mostly ESPN) want original programming scheduled as many nights as possible. That's why bowl games are spread out like they are over 3+ weeks. I'm sure ESPN has crunched the numbers many times over and know that it's more beneficial to them to play 1-2 bowl games every day from 12/20-1/3 or so than to pile a ton of games over a long weekend, often competing with their own family of networks for viewers.

5 Star
06-30-2015, 05:35 PM
The networks (mostly ESPN) want original programming scheduled as many nights as possible. That's why bowl games are spread out like they are over 3+ weeks. I'm sure ESPN has crunched the numbers many times over and know that it's more beneficial to them to play 1-2 bowl games every day from 12/20-1/3 or so than to pile a ton of games over a long weekend, often competing with their own family of networks for viewers.

I know the reason, I just think it sucks. I also believe long-term, it will end up being a mistake.

Quality individually is OK. Quantity individually is OK. Mix them together and the numbers get bigger, over the long haul. But I don't expect the powers that be to roll like that, because it involves a little risk and intuition rather than just numbers.

dawgs
06-30-2015, 05:46 PM
I know the reason, I just think it sucks. I also believe long-term, it will end up being a mistake.

Quality individually is OK. Quantity individually is OK. Mix them together and the numbers get bigger, over the long haul. But I don't expect the powers that be to roll like that, because it involves a little risk and intuition rather than just numbers.

I mean, I'm more likely to watch the papa johns bowl when it's played on a random day sometime between 12/20 and 12/31 than I would if it was played 12/31-1/2, because on some random night just before or after Christmas, there's not anything else to watch. 12/31-1/2, there much better bowl games to watch.

Smitty
06-30-2015, 06:03 PM
The rooting interest in every game. Hoping the SEC wins the big-time OOC games. Hoping Ole Miss loses. Hoping to take teams down when they're on top like last year. Hoping my betting interests cover the spread.

Billy Ray Valentine
06-30-2015, 07:00 PM
I just enjoy kicking somebody's ass