PDA

View Full Version : apartment question

BulldogDad
06-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Hello all. My daughter just finished her first year at MSU. She is now looking for an apartment in town as she is no longer required to live in the dorms. I was just curious as to where some good places are for students? Her mom and I have only been to Starkvile twice (during her senior year of HS and for orientation). Chances are we will only get to look around one weekend and then make a decision. She has told us she like the Links and the Point. Price isn't a huge issue. Safety is our main concern though I assume most places in Starkville are. Any info you guys have would be great.

Thompson92
06-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Campus Trails and the Pointe are a bit less safe, but still pretty good. Theyre close to campus and sometimes come furnished.
I lived on East Lee and thought it was great, though I had to drive to get to the Cotton District/downtown. It was quiet, very cheap, close to campus, and about as safe as Oktibbeha County gets. None of us even locked up our bikes.
Polos/Little London are okay, kinda loud, not the safest.
Cotton District is fun but expensive/loud in some places.
Highlands are awful Friday and Saturday nights, the houses aren't in great condition, plus the drive isn't worth it.
I don't know much about the Links or the new place, Aspen something.
If you're going to drive, Academy Village is a good option.

It mostly depends on what kind of neighborhood she's looking for. Living near friends was very important to me, but it could be distracting for some. This is just my idea of the different spots, others might have different opinions.

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 08:01 PM
The Ref should weigh on this. He could give some good insight as well.

dickiedawg
06-29-2015, 08:02 PM
There's a new complex on Highway 12 right across from the Hilton called Haven 12 that should be really nice. I live near there and you can't beat the location, imo. I would tend to avoid 21/Aspen Heights/campus Trails as they're not very accessible. I've heard of cases of rapes at the point and (I think) aspen heights.

If she stays at the links, which is a long way across town, you could probably golf for free when you visit.

EEdawg15
06-29-2015, 08:08 PM
I have lived at Academy Village since 2012. I have never heard the police get called there. It's always quiet and only a couple mile drive to campus. It's a very easy commute to campus as you can stay off of 12 and go into the South entrance. The new place on hey 12 Dickie spoke of should be a good place as well. It's right near the exit for the baseball field. I would avoid 21 or the pointe (even though I'm moving there for my last semester). The links and lakeside are side by side and are nice but they are on the other end of town and will take at least 15 minutes to get parked if not longer every morning due to the traffic and distance from the school. Lakeside does have a shuttle that runs all day though.

Harrydawg
06-29-2015, 08:16 PM
My son is going to live in Aspen Hieghts......I do agree that the Haven looks really nice.......

I know many kids in live at the Pointe as well.....

BulldogDad
06-29-2015, 08:28 PM
It's tough sending your child far away from home for college. I appreciate your help. We will definately try to check the Haven out. The cotton district isn't really her style. She's a bit of an introvert. She would come home every weekend if she could.

EEdawg15
06-29-2015, 08:32 PM
It's tough sending your child far away from home for college. I appreciate your help. We will definately try to check the Haven out. The cotton district isn't really her style. She's a bit of an introvert. She would come home every weekend if she could.

Then I would definitely recommend Academy Village. My only regret about living there is that nothing ever happens there or goes on.

War Machine Dawg
06-29-2015, 08:33 PM
I lived in Stonehenge and loved it. Close to campus but not too close. She'd probably need a roommate, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be a big hurdle.

Secondn1
06-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Call Tabor Realty. They manage some very nice properties. I own several in Glen Hollow and Academy Village. Kids love Glen Hollow because it is close to downtown and the cotton district. Academy Village is more quiet but further away from the nightlife. Both properties are well maintained. Tabor does a great job.

TheRef
06-29-2015, 08:57 PM
With it being this late on getting an apartment, you're going to have a tougher time finding an apartment. I lived in 3 complexes during my tenure at MSU. I lived at 21 apartments for 2 years, and I was less than thrilled there. I lived in Brownsville Station for a year, and I was actually pretty happy with that. BS is located behind Vowell's. Then I lived in a Spruill apartment for 6 months, it was a last-minute arrangement and I got what the delay cost me which was an apartment that cost me a load on utilities. Lastly, I got an apartment with a middle-aged couple that was very good.

My advice at this point, get a place for the year, then see if she can get somewhere better by the next year. With you being this "late to the game" you're going to get the last picking of apartments.

Treemydawg
06-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Call Tabor Realty. They manage some very nice properties. I own several in Glen Hollow and Academy Village. Kids love Glen Hollow because it is close to downtown and the cotton district. Academy Village is more quiet but further away from the nightlife. Both properties are well maintained. Tabor does a great job.
I second this. LT and JT are great guys and they do a great job in everything they do. They are both first class. Tabor is the way to go for safety and first class service.

dickiedawg
06-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Academy Village is a good recommendation, too. A friend of mine lived there, the ones they rent out are very reasonable for the quality you get. Very quiet.

If she has someone to live with i'd definitely look into that.
I also know a guy who is renovating some townhouses on Old Mayhew Road, has some big plans on making them very nice. Quiet location near campus. PM me if you're interested, I'll get you in touch with him.

thf24
06-29-2015, 09:31 PM
I lived at Campus Trails after my freshman year. Living next to campus and being able to walk versus deal with the traffic every day alone made it worth it for me. The price at the time (2009-2012) was pretty good for what you got, but I will say that most of the older buildings were quite run down for a corporate-owned property and maintenance always took longer than it seems like it should have. Like I said though, the proximity to campus made all the negatives worth it, at least for me. More pluses are that it's fully furnished, a base amount of utilities per month are included, and leases are on an individual basis instead of per unit.

mstatefan91
06-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Stay away from the Highlands at all cost. I got to live in that hell hole for one year directly across from Cowbells Bar. Awful experience. Awful management. Bug problems. A/C problems in the summer. Parties every weekend and drunk drivers everywhere.

The pointe is a party place, especially during football season, but you can walk to campus. It is completely furnished and there are no more utility overage fees.
Campus trails is very similar.

Aspen is nice but it is at the back end of the apartment complexes located on black jack. It can be a pain to get in and out of. Aspen has also been accused of being too strict and overcharging utilities.

Little London is a lot quieter than it used to be. Small parties during football season but other than that, it is rather dead. Older apartments but in good shape and not a long drive to campus and situated very nicely for getting on and off 12 where the majority of food joints and gas stations are.

Stay away from the Polos and College Station. Horrible management.

Honestly, your best bet is to call Tabor management and see what they have available.

stalkingpoon
06-30-2015, 02:42 AM
Colonial Armd is fantastic. I love there now. The owners are great and are always available to help out. I have a 2br townhouse but there are smaller options available.

Treemydawg
06-30-2015, 05:46 AM
You should also try Mike Kraker. His office is at the corner of Montgomery and Gillespie st. He owns several apartments in starkville and is a first class man. You won't find a better person to deal with, and his property's are kept up and safe.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-30-2015, 07:11 AM
I would avoid Old Charleston at all costs, expensive and there is never any parking because of all the parties going on every night.

Dawg Corps
06-30-2015, 11:44 AM
I'd check Brownsville Station for sure.

chef dixon
06-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Colonial Armd is fantastic. I love there now. The owners are great and are always available to help out. I have a 2br townhouse but there are smaller options available.

Dude should definitely get his daughter to live next to a guy named "stalkingpoon."

I'm sure you're a great guy, just thought it was funny.

notoriousdog
06-30-2015, 01:26 PM
I lived there in college and loved being able to walk downtown or to the district. Price wasn't bad at all and the apartments are decent.

MafiaDawg
06-30-2015, 01:27 PM
If you are dead set on an apartment Glenn hollow is a good bet. Perfect location btw downtown and district. Can bike to campus. It's not a huge party place at all but not dead quiet either like some of the places further away from campus

Mulligan
06-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Canterbury**

BulldogDad
06-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Funny story about Canterbury. A guy I work with(he told me about this board) went to state like 20 years ago. Told me that's where he lived and how great it was. Must have really went down from what my daughter tells me. I brought it up to her when I saw them online. She wasn't having it!

Vinsanity
06-30-2015, 11:53 PM
21 Apartments are a good option. It's right behind campus.

stalkingpoon
07-01-2015, 01:28 AM
Dude should definitely get his daughter to live next to a guy named "stalkingpoon."

I'm sure you're a great guy, just thought it was funny.

You blew my cover man. Haha

Charlie_Sheen420
07-01-2015, 03:40 AM
I've lived out at the Links for 4 years now, and I really don't have any complaints. With rent you get access to a pool, a pretty nice little gym, and of course the 9 hole golf course (not much of a golfer myself). It's never loud or anything like that, as long as you have good neighbors and most people out here are pretty good. I highly recommend getting a top floor apartment as you would anywhere else. I had one bad neighbor to the side of me one year, but that's really my only complaint I've had, and I'm pretty sure they didn't allow that person to renew their lease. I've heard some people aren't too high on management here, but I've never had a problem with them myself, and maintenance is pretty good about seeing and fixing any problems you have generally the next day after you turn in a request. My rent has gone up a total of $20 in four years as well, so that isn't bad at all. The main drawback is that it is far from campus, but it gets you in a quiet and party free zone, and there's also a Walmart very close by incase you have to run out and get something you need for whatever reason.

Mulligan
07-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Funny story about Canterbury. A guy I work with(he told me about this board) went to state like 20 years ago. Told me that's where he lived and how great it was. Must have really went down from what my daughter tells me. I brought it up to her when I saw them online. She wasn't having it!

Cantebury was a dump when I lived there 23 yrs ago but I have to admit, there were many a party thrown out on lawn in the main courtyard by the pool. It was almost like a co-ed frat house.

Is it even still standing? They should have bulldozed that place right after I left!

coastratdog
07-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Is Wood Manor still operating. Had some great parties there.

Dawg Tired
07-01-2015, 09:10 PM
I've lived out at the Links for 4 years now, and I really don't have any complaints.

I agree totally. I really enjoyed the links. It's been 5 years since I lived there so I can't speak of the current state. However, if my daughter were headed to State this year, I would send her to the Links. She's only 2 years old so I have some time.