PDA

View Full Version : had the chance to tour The Mill at MSU last week

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-29-2015, 02:55 PM
and came away very impressed. This is a very unique building, and the developers did a great job maintaining & highlighting aspects of the original building, along with incorporating themes from the regions of Mississippi. It will be a great way to welcome guests, and introduce them to the history and culture of Mississippi, as well as MSU, while providing all the modern amenities.

As the state's flagship research university, & the only school in Mississippi recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as a very high research activity university, we have every opportunity to promote ourselves as the hub of intellectual progress in the state, as well as the greater east south central region. After seeing The Mill at MSU implemented, it's obvious we've been missing the facilities to consistently draw & support conferences, panels, and guest speakers on a national or international level. Taking that next step promises to showcase the university to larger numbers of ppl, bring increased revenue from out-of-town, and to expand our national brand. I expect The Mill to provide much-needed support in taking the next step as a leading research institution, and to do so in a way distinct to Mississippi and MSU.

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 03:51 PM
I think the campus at MSU is beautiful. Yes I'm biased cause I'm an alumnae & I've seen it grow to be even more beautiful/impressive than when I was in school there in the mid/late 90's. But just a personal wish of mine...I wish that the town of Starkville would grow with it & update some of the infrastructure & store fronts. Main St. is kind of attractive & has updated over the years, but Hwy 12, not so much. Just my opinion. I get tired of all the sports media folks raggin on Stark for being the ugliest town. Also, a Umiss fan (so take it for what it's worth) told me last week that some kid that was goin to all the SEC schools summer fb camps said that he thought Starkville was the ugliest town. He also didn't understand or like that the Palmeiro Center had to be shared with the bb team (even though they play opposite seasons). Like I said, was from the mouth of a Umiss homer (who said he wasn't tryin to be a homer when saying it) so take it for what it's worth. Just wish others could see it for what we see it as.

Jacksondevildog
06-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Did you ask the Ole Miss guy if their basketball team liked sharing Tad Smith with the swimming team for years?

Bothrops
06-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Parts of Starkville still look like they haven't been touched since the 1970's. I can't understand for the life of me why so many derelict structures and buildings are still around. Get rid of that shit!!

Jacksondevildog
06-29-2015, 04:49 PM
There's a mile or two miler stretch on 12 that looks like Hwy 80 in Jackson around Metrocenter. All you can do is fly a B-52 over it and drop a couple of bombs and start over. No one wants to see twelve check advance places or a Boost Mobile store.

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Parts of Starkville still look like they haven't been touched since the 1970's. I can't understand for the life of me why so many derelict structures and buildings are still around. Get rid of that shit!!

AGREED!

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Did you ask the Ole Miss guy if their basketball team liked sharing Tad Smith with the swimming team for years?

HAHA! Damn! Had I known that I would've but this kid was a football prospect, not a bb. But I doubt he's even being recruited by us so I really don't care what some little high school punk thinks.

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 05:00 PM
There's a mile or two miler stretch on 12 that looks like Hwy 80 in Jackson around Metrocenter. All you can do is fly a B-52 over it and drop a couple of bombs and start over. No one wants to see twelve check advance places or a Boost Mobile store.

Another AGREED! What's Bart Gregory running for again? Maybe he can help? Ha!

Thompson92
06-29-2015, 05:08 PM
Every SEC town has its rough parts (especially Tuscaloosa). Maybe the problem with Starkville is that the more scenic parts are limited to the Cotton District and parts of downtown, while the rest of the town looks pretty normal. When I was there, it was a fun place, and I think it's getting even better. Got some great public art projects, good restaurants, and The Mill will help big time.

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 05:16 PM
and came away very impressed. This is a very unique building, and the developers did a great job maintaining & highlighting aspects of the original building, along with incorporating themes from the regions of Mississippi. It will be a great way to welcome guests, and introduce them to the history and culture of Mississippi, as well as MSU, while providing all the modern amenities.

As the state's flagship research university, & the only school in Mississippi recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as a very high research activity university, we have every opportunity to promote ourselves as the hub of intellectual progress in the state, as well as the greater east south central region. After seeing The Mill at MSU implemented, it's obvious we've been missing the facilities to consistently draw & support conferences, panels, and guest speakers on a national or international level. Taking that next step promises to showcase the university to larger numbers of ppl, bring increased revenue from out-of-town, and to expand our national brand. I expect The Mill to provide much-needed support in taking the next step as a leading research institution, and to do so in a way distinct to Mississippi and MSU.

Thank you for sharing. You've def peaked my interest. Sounds encouraging. I will have to take a look at it when I go up for the ladies football clinic in couple of weeks.

hailmari
06-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Yeah. I noticed the other day driving up old 82 that they've fixed up a lot those old crappy buildings there. There's still plenty of work to be done but a least it doesn't look like garbage.

And they're finally taking down that random little brick house/building on 12 by the oil change place & abner's lot.

Also, not sure why they chose to build the Panda Express in walmart's parking lot instead of in the empty lot where Barnhill's used to be.

BossDawg
06-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Also, a Umiss fan (so take it for what it's worth) told me last week that some kid that was goin to all the SEC schools summer fb camps said that he thought Starkville was the ugliest town. He also didn't understand or like that the Palmeiro Center had to be shared with the bb team.

Never heard a UMiss fan say anything like that**. To be as awesome as Oxford is according to them, evidently they still can't attract enough blue-chips to accomplish what State has athletically. Took them 40 years to finally get to Omaha, they're the only basketball team in the SEC without a regular season conference championship (not even one), and last but not least, the only football team in the West that hasn't clinched the division (Big 12 South championship for TAMU). You'd think as awesome as Oxford is they could churn out a few more accomplishments, especially more than ugly ol' State.

Vinsanity
06-29-2015, 05:48 PM
I do wish that we had a football exclusive indoor practice facility and maybe we could build one on the field next to softball since that's rarely being used but other than that our campus is pretty.

MedDawg
06-29-2015, 06:05 PM

Oxford has the same stretch.

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Never heard a UMiss fan say anything like that**. To be as awesome as Oxford is according to them, evidently they still can't attract enough blue-chips to accomplish what State has athletically. Took them 40 years to finally get to Omaha, they're the only basketball team in the SEC without a regular season conference championship (not even one), and last but not least, the only football team in the West that hasn't clinched the division (Big 12 South championship for TAMU). You'd think as awesome as Oxford is they could churn out a few more accomplishments, especially more than ugly ol' State.

All very excellent points, sir. Ready for football cause it means more reg trips to Stark. See yall for LSU game! Hell I'll see whoevers making the trek south for the mustard buzzards game as well!

Coach34
06-29-2015, 07:32 PM
I will have to take a look at it when I go up for the ladies football clinic in couple of weeks.

Sounds like a chance to head to Sville and pick up chicks. Whats date on that?

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Big Dawg Camp is on Fri. July 17th. Ladies Clinic is on Sat. July 18. It'll be a fun wknd in Stark. I'm ready. Buh-ring it big boy. We'll be hittin the Veranda on Sat night. Not sure bout Fri night. Yall boys would have fun though.

Coach34
06-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Big Dawg Camp is on Fri. July 17th. Ladies Clinic is on Sat. July 18. It'll be a fun wknd in Stark. I'm ready. Buh-ring it big boy. We'll be hittin the Veranda on Sat night. Not sure bout Fri night. Yall boys would have fun though.

hmmmm- gonna run that one up the chain. Sounds like a good time for an Elitedawg meeting

MSUDawg99
06-29-2015, 08:15 PM
And talk about prospective croots & such.

MabenMaroon
06-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Yeah. I noticed the other day driving up old 82 that they've fixed up a lot those old crappy buildings there. There's still plenty of work to be done but a least it doesn't look like garbage.

And they're finally taking down that random little brick house/building on 12 by the oil change place & abner's lot.

Also, not sure why they chose to build the Panda Express in walmart's parking lot instead of in the empty lot where Barnhill's used to be.

Probably because at peak dining times Barnhills was a nightmare to get in and out of traffic wise, same thing killed the Backyard Burgers place ( more or less )

hailmari
06-30-2015, 06:44 PM
I could see that. Good point.