PDA

View Full Version : NFL expert Colin Cowherd opined on Prescott today

Coach34
06-29-2015, 11:59 AM
saying Dakota would never start in the NFL. Dakota has some things to work on for sure and I think he took a big step toward that this Spring. But to say a guy that got a 3rd-4th round draft grade after his Jr season will never start in the NFL is really jumping out there CC. Especially when there have really been some garbage QB's make NFL starts thru the years.

I'll have to disagree. Based on talent, heart, and work ethic- I'm betting he makes at least 1 NFL start before he is done.

TrapGame
06-29-2015, 12:03 PM
I wonder if Cowherd wants to talk about 1st round QBs that failed miserably in the NFL.

War Machine Dawg
06-29-2015, 12:04 PM
saying Dakota would never start in the NFL. Dakota has some things to work on for sure and I think he took a big step toward that this Spring. But to say a guy that got a 3rd-4th round draft grade after his Jr season will never start in the NFL is really jumping out there CC. Especially when there have really been some garbage QB's make NFL starts thru the years.

I'll have to disagree. Based on talent, heart, and work ethic- I'm betting he makes at least 1 NFL start before he is done.

Also worth noting is that last season was Dak's first as the unquestioned, full-time starter. He split reps with TR as a Sophomore. If he'd been starting for 3 years, it might be a little different.

Pollodawg
06-29-2015, 12:27 PM
The last time I remember Cowherd making a prediction about us was in the 2010 Gator Bowl.................He said Michigan would win and that Rich Rod was the man for the job in Ann Arbor.

Guys, they see the name Miss. State, and they're done. That's the extent of their journalism.

Pollodawg
06-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Cowherd's that kid who sat in the stands back in high school and told all of the athletes what they were doing wrong. Dak will make plays all over the field while he sits his 136 lb-dripping-wet, nonathletic, can't-throw-from-the-porch-to-the-mailbox ass in a studio somewhere still critiquing in that haven't-quite-hit-puberty-yet voice of his.

FISHDAWG
06-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Cowherd's that kid who sat in the stands back in high school and told all of the athletes what they were doing wrong. Dak will make plays all over the field while he sits his 136 lb-dripping-wet, nonathletic, can't-throw-from-the-porch-to-the-mailbox ass in a studio somewhere still critiquing in that haven't-quit-hit-puberty-yet voice of his.

beautiful ..... Wikipedia should use this

cheewgumm
06-29-2015, 12:40 PM
I love Dak, but agree. I just dont care. I think he's a fabulous QB. Starting in the NFL is a different level. I hope he makes it, but at this point I'd agree wiht that assesment.

PMDawg
06-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Cowherd isn't an expert at anything.

cheewgumm
06-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Making the cases for:

I'll say, I think Dak is better than Manziel. I think he's way better (from a pro perspective) than Johnny F.

He does have the arm. See the 70 yard bomb against Kentucky last year.

But some of the ints he throws are inexplicable (see Bama last year).

I just dont see it, but hope I'm wrong.

maroonmania
06-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Well right now I'm a lot more focused on how good of a college QB he is going to be THIS year than what his NFL future is going to be.

Dawgface
06-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Cowherd may end up being right. Don't know at this point. What I do know is he is just another talking head prick I have never liked.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-29-2015, 01:12 PM
If you take a look at some of the guys who've started games at QB in the NFL over the past few years I definitely think Dak starts at least 1 game & that was Cowherd's argument.

Johnson85
06-29-2015, 01:22 PM
If you take a look at some of the guys who've started games at QB in the NFL over the past few years I definitely think Dak starts at least 1 game & that was Cowherd's argument.

It's just a stupid prediction all around. Starting one game is so dependent on luck, it's just a stupid thing to make a prediction over, unless you are predicting a qb is so bad there's no chance he does better than making a practice team.

starkvegasdawg
06-29-2015, 01:22 PM

Dak>Jamarcus Russell

ShotgunDawg
06-29-2015, 01:49 PM
I don't have anything against what Cowherd said, & believe that odds are that he is right. If someone thought Dak would start an NFL game, he would be in the conversation to go in the top 2 rounds.

Would I would say is that I respectfully disagree with with Cowherd, because I've seen Dak flash NFL passing ability, particularly in the Spring game, which I'm sure Cowherd has not watched.

In the Spring game, Dak showed better footwork, better touch, & made quicker reads than I've ever seen him. This IMO, is one thing that none of the media has considered this year. Everyone is expecting Dak to be similar to what he was last year, but what if he is better? Like a lot better?

I think this is possible

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Cowherd would have probably said that about half the QBs starting in the league today. Definitely Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson would never start a game if they were coming into the league right now according to Cowherd. If you don't fit the Aaron Rodgers mold you probably don't belong in the NFL. Work ethic, leadership, and determination can't be measured at the combine so they aren't important.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Before anybody thinks Dak can't start a game in the NFL I give to you just a handful of guys who have started games at QB in the NFL the last 3yrs.

Ryan Lindley
Conner Shaw
Brandon Weeden
Chase Daniel
Austin Davis
Jeff Tuel
Scott Tolzien
Matthew McGloin
Thaddeus Lewis
Greg McElroy
John Skelton

Now do you still think Dak can't start a game in the NFL?

BulldogBear
06-29-2015, 02:12 PM
None of this matters. No matter what anyone says, what they really mean is that Dak will never start an NFL down because he comes from MSU.

drunkernhelldawg
06-29-2015, 02:14 PM
So many great quarterbacks have failed in the NFL that's it's fairly safe to predict a guy won't make it. Even the top two chosen last draft still have to prove themselves. I feel strongly that both Winston and Mariotta will be successful, but with the quarterback situation in the league, I personally will not be surprised if they don't. Just look at all of the 1st and 2nd round qb's who struggle to see playing time. NFL quarterback is a tough position to comprehend. Flashes of greatness and top ability are not enough. The tough thing is doing it every play.

BulldogBear
06-29-2015, 02:25 PM
The last time I remember Cowherd making a prediction about us was in the 2010 Gator Bowl.................He said Michigan would win and that Rich Rod was the man for the job in Ann Arbor.

Guys, they see the name Miss. State, and they're done. That's the extent of their journalism.

Or in other words... ^^^THIS^^^

drunkernhelldawg
06-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Making the cases for:

I'll say, I think Dak is better than Manziel. I think he's way better (from a pro perspective) than Johnny F.

He does have the arm. See the 70 yard bomb against Kentucky last year.

But some of the ints he throws are inexplicable (see Bama last year).

I just dont see it, but hope I'm wrong.

His mistakes are mostly metal. He needs to distribute the ball more effectively. Can't see how you say he beats out that sonofabitch from TAMU. Dak's good, but that a big statement.

maroonmania
06-29-2015, 03:04 PM
None of this matters. No matter what anyone says, what they really mean is that Dak will never start an NFL down because he comes from MSU.

There does just seem to be a global negative slant about anything MSU football related from all media and pundits. Its almost like a virus.

thf24
06-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Can't see how you say he beats out that sonofabitch from TAMU. Dak's good, but that a big statement.

Manziel was a great college player because of his ability to extend plays and then retain accuracy and distance while throwing on the move, and it didn't hurt that he played in an offense that makes an average QB look great and had some elite receivers to throw to. Neither his accuracy nor arm strength under general circumstances is all that outstanding. I think you have to stay Manziel was a better college playmaker than Dak at this point, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Dak is a better all-around QB and better pro prospect.

maroonmania
06-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Manziel was a great college player because of his ability to extend plays and then retain accuracy and distance while throwing on the move, and it didn't hurt that he played in an offense that makes an average QB look great and had some great receivers to throw to. Neither his accuracy nor arm strength under general circumstances is all that outstanding. I think you have to stay Manziel was a better college playmaker than Dak at this point, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Dak is a better all-around QB and better pro prospect.

I always thought Manziel's achilles heel was going to be durability. He is just not built to take punishment and though he could avoid taking a lot of hits against most college defenses you aren't going to avoid it in the NFL if you come out of the pocket and Manziel staying in the pocket is not his bread and butter.

thf24
06-29-2015, 03:24 PM
I always thought Manziel's achilles heel was going to be durability. He is just not built to take punishment and though he could avoid taking a lot of hits against most college defenses you aren't going to avoid it in the NFL if you come out of the pocket and Manziel staying in the pocket is not his bread and butter.

Agreed. He can't avoid the rush as much as he did in college and that will add up even if he finds playing time. Nor can he complete nearly as many of the circus throws he did in college against NFL coverage.

cheewgumm
06-29-2015, 03:44 PM
for DAK vs Johnny F comparison, I'm stating who I think is the better NFL player. DAK has a better arm, no question. I guarantee Maziel can't throw it 70 yards.

A lot of times, JF threw balls up for grabs in college. Just run around, then chuck it. That's not "pro". DAK is a better pro prospect than JF imo and its not really close.

PMDawg
06-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Dak will make it. If he gets half a chance, he will make it. He is too determined to not make it. Players gravitate to him. At some point, he will earn a shot and that's all he needs.

maroonmania
06-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Dak will make it. If he gets half a chance, he will make it. He is too determined to not make it. Players gravitate to him. At some point, he will earn a shot and that's all he needs.

Plus he has 10 times the work ethic of Johnny Manziel.

ShotgunDawg
06-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Playing QB in the NFL comes down to one thing: Can you throw accurately from the bottom of a well?

Simply, Manziel was a great college QB that could extend plays, but that has nothing to do with throwing from the bottom of a well.

Dak has to make progress but he has a better chance of doing it than Manziel, due to body, arm strength, and work ethic.

Treemydawg
06-29-2015, 10:17 PM

People still watch or take what Colin "Cowturd" has to say like it means something???

Todd4State
06-30-2015, 01:34 AM
If Dak isn't taken in the first round it might be a blessing for him. I think his odds of being a NFL starting QB would increase if he took the Montana/Brady route where he is drafted, but not expected to start immediately and some team develops him.

Someone like the Eagles would be a perfect fit.

LeakyD
06-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Dak reminds me of Steve McNair in stature. I think their running ability and style are similar also. Dak just needs to continue to develop his skills from the pocket. Making an NFL roster is his floor. I think he will surprise most, including a lot of State fans.

Mutt the Hoople
06-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Dak reminds me of Steve McNair in stature. I think their running ability and style are similar also. Dak just needs to continue to develop his skills from the pocket. Making an NFL roster is his floor. I think he will surprise most, including a lot of State fans.

He may cost us a game because, instead of running for a first down he tries to throw for it and it's either incomplete or intercepted. I'd hate to see him out there acting like somebody has a string on him.