PDA

View Full Version : Official Women's World Cup Thread: USA vs. (Red) China

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 06:23 PM
US Starting 11: Solo, Sauerbrunn, O'Hara, Rodriguez, Lloyd, Krieger, Morgan, Brian, Heath, Johnston, Klingenberg.

Wambach on the bench, Holiday and Rapinoe serving 1 game suspensions for 2 yellow cards.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Girls looking a whole lot better so far tonight. Pace is way up compared to the rest of our games. Had a couple of nice chances, but no goals yet. China looking a little flustered.

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Great seeing our local girl Morgan Brian getting the start tonight. Youngest member of the team. She was hell on wheels at Frederica Academy.

TUSK
06-26-2015, 07:01 PM
are nukes allowed?.... or only conventional weapons?

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2015, 07:05 PM
I find it amazing how much faster our women's team looks against World Cup competition than our Men's Team does in World Cup competition. It's clear that our women get a higher selection of athlete than Men's team

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2015, 07:16 PM
I find it amazing how much faster our women's team looks against World Cup competition than our Men's Team does in World Cup competition. It's clear that our women get a higher selection of athlete than Men's team
I think that has to do with women's soccer in the U.S. Being able to attract our top athletes whereas the men's sport has so much competition for athletes. Imagine some of our top football speed guys having spent their lives playing soccer. We would be unstoppable

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 07:21 PM
I think that has to do with women's soccer in the U.S. Being able to attract our top athletes whereas the men's sport has so much competition for athletes. Imagine some of our top football speed guys having spent their lives playing soccer. We would be unstoppable

No kidding. And how about a guy like Calvin Johnson or Kelvin Benjamin in goal? Talk about a keeper that would be hard to beat.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Great seeing our local girl Morgan Brian getting the start tonight. Youngest member of the team. She was hell on wheels at Frederica Academy.

She's looked damn good so far. Wouldn't mind see her playing more moving forward.

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2015, 07:29 PM

No doubt, outside of losing some girls to the WNBA, soccer gets the top U.S. Women's athletes. Where as our men look slow and indecisive against their completion, our women look faster and more confident than their competition.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 07:36 PM
I still want to see more of Leroux and Press. Those two girls can be game changers. Press is a natural scorer and Leroux's speed is ridiculous. Based on what I'm seeing tonight, I wouldn't be in a hurry to re-insert Wambach or Holiday into the lineup. We miss Rapinoe, though.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 07:38 PM
No doubt, outside of losing some girls to the WNBA, soccer gets the top U.S. Women's athletes. Where as our men look slow and indecisive against their completion, our women look faster and more confident than their competition.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that start to change some. Soccer isn't expensive to get into, so it should be easy for inner city kids to play. Plus with all the concussion scare tactics surrounding football, I think more and more kids will start being pushed away from it. The only problem with soccer are the leg injuries. And if you can play, you can make just as much or more money in soccer as any major US sport. Not to mention as soccer grows here, MLS money should go up.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 07:38 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carli Lloyd puts the US up 1-0. Hell of an assist from Johnston. That girl is a beast.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Press in, O'Hara out. Really nice night for O'Hara. Big time performance with Rapinoe out.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Press barely misses giving the US a 2-0 lead. She hit a laser from distance than was off the crossbar. China's keeper was beaten.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 08:08 PM
80' sub: Heather O'Reilly in, Alex Morgan out.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 08:13 PM
84' sub: Wambach in, Amy Rodriguez out. Corner coming for the US.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Christen Press is freaking good. She's created several scoring chances. Had a big one there but didn't look up to find the goal.

3 minutes of stoppage time and the US will advance.

War Machine Dawg
06-26-2015, 08:21 PM
US advances to the semis!!!!!! 1-0 over China. Hell of a game from this group, down two starters.

Charlie_Sheen420
06-26-2015, 08:26 PM
I do not want to see Wambach play another minute. She came in tonight for just 5 minutes and did not hustle at all with fresh legs, she acted like she played all game...she's been killing the offense and her absence tonight showed that

smootness
06-26-2015, 08:27 PM

Uh, our men's team is not slow. Our skill level still doesn't match up with the best in the world, though it is improving, but we are known for having speed, athleticism, and fitness.

We're not on the level of a Brazil or Ghana in speed, but we're not behind most of the European powers.

It may look a little slower at times because of the skill level gap and the indecisiveness you mentioned, but we're plenty athletic.

RDawg90
06-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Probably one of the worst soccer games i've ever watched from start to finish. Despite just being physically overwhelming, the United States was so poor, especially in the final third. The less said about China the better, tactically and physically inept.

mstatefan91
06-27-2015, 01:41 AM
I do not want to see Wambach play another minute. She came in tonight for just 5 minutes and did not hustle at all with fresh legs, she acted like she played all game...she's been killing the offense and her absence tonight showed that

I came away with the same impression. She obviously cares that the team wins, but she is so far past her prime that it is almost embarrassing that she is allowed to play, let alone start, on the team.

I wish nothing but the best for her. She has done her due diligence to be recognized as one of the greats in women's soccer, but it is time to retire. I hope it doesn't cost us against Germany

mstatefan91
06-27-2015, 01:44 AM
Probably one of the worst soccer games i've ever watched from start to finish. Despite just being physically overwhelming, the United States was so poor, especially in the final third. The less said about China the better, tactically and physically inept.

I feel differently. Our team dominated that game. Start to finish. China had little chance despite our offensive woes. We controlled the pace of the game at will. Just need to learn how to score.

I will say that the final third made a huge difference in China not being able to mount an offensive counter. The final third kept them bottled up on their own defensive third and controlled the flow. Great game plan. Just need to finish scoring opportunities.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Uh, our men's team is not slow. Our skill level still doesn't match up with the best in the world, though it is improving, but we are known for having speed, athleticism, and fitness.

We're not on the level of a Brazil or Ghana in speed, but we're not behind most of the European powers.

It may look a little slower at times because of the skill level gap and the indecisiveness you mentioned, but we're plenty athletic.

Yea, I feel like our speed and conditioning is great...it's our ball control, touch, and confidence that seem to be lacking in the men's team. Spain and other great teams just know where their teammate is at all times, and they have the skill and confidence of knowing they can make every pass. We still have moments of being unsure or lacking confidence that we can make a tight pass, even when we're just passing it around in ball control.

We're getting MUCH better, but that is where I feel we still have a ways to go.

It's kinda like MSU getting to #1, but not really knowing how to play as #1. The U.S. Men are finally at a skill level that is competitive with the World powers (not as good yet, but competitive), so now we have to learn to play with the confidence that we belong on the same field with those teams, and learn how to play as the favorite or as the equal.

Maroonthirteen
06-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Soccer is very expensive to play if you aspire to make the USWNT. You have to play for a club to get the training necessary to make it through the ODP training program.

To play for a club, you are talking approx $1000 in joining fees. $500 in team travel fees for each season. $300 uniforms. To play ODP is addition expense on top of all that. There is a club in Memphis that has trried to attract "inner city" players for years with scholarships. Those kids are NOT interested and the club is dying a slow death. Where as the club in the burbs is growing and their teams are getting stronger and stronger.

As for athletes, my daughters team plays teams all the time with better athletes. We kick their tails because of the coaching. So my point, an inner city kid will have to play club, ODP and travel to get the training necessary to develop the skill and understanding of the game to play for the usnwt. You are talking $3000 at least per year.

Maroonthirteen
06-27-2015, 02:00 PM
USWNT is strong in comparison to other countries because the US is one of few countries that allows any girl that wants...to be athletes and doesn't treat females as second class citizens.

Trust me, that a very large number of.girls in the US play softball, basketball, gymnastics, cheer, nothing at all.....

mstatefan91
06-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Soccer is very expensive to play if you aspire to make the USWNT. You have to play for a club to get the training necessary to make it through the ODP training program.

To play for a club, you are talking approx $1000 in joining fees. $500 in team travel fees for each season. $300 uniforms. To play ODP is addition expense on top of all that. There is a club in Memphis that has trried to attract "inner city" players for years with scholarships. Those kids are NOT interested and the club is dying a slow death. Where as the club in the burbs is growing and their teams are getting stronger and stronger.

As for athletes, my daughters team plays teams all the time with better athletes. We kick their tails because of the coaching. So my point, an inner city kid will have to play club, ODP and travel to get the training necessary to develop the skill and understanding of the game to play for the usnwt. You are talking $3000 at least per year.

This. Rec league teams do not cut it if you want to make it big time in soccer. The coaching is horrendous and the level of competition is even worse than that. To succeed in soccer, you must pay.