PDA

View Full Version : Good run down of how ridiculous MSU's predicted win/loss records are

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2015, 01:41 PM
I know that some on here don't like Hadad, but I believe he did an outstanding job in this piece of explaining how ridiculously absurd the media types are for calling for MSU to win 6 or 7 games.

http://www.bulldogsportsradio.com/episode/3156/the-bb-show-instant-replay-national-media-trying-to-play-both-sides-with-mississippi-state-football/

5 Star
06-26-2015, 02:11 PM
I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to doubt us based on our (as in, MSU's) history. Quarterback history obviously favors us, though (except for the potential senior quarterback curse). What I like about this year is that we are still somewhat the underdog. However until the dogs prove we can sustain, it's hard to expect anyone to get on board. I see us with a season like 2000, good enough to be 10-2 again but will probably stumble and go 8-4.

I'm still a little worried about the OL, Center especially.

maroonmania
06-26-2015, 03:04 PM
I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to doubt us based on our (as in, MSU's) history. Quarterback history obviously favors us, though (except for the potential senior quarterback curse). What I like about this year is that we are still somewhat the underdog. However until the dogs prove we can sustain, it's hard to expect anyone to get on board. I see us with a season like 2000, good enough to be 10-2 again but will probably stumble and go 8-4.

I'm still a little worried about the OL, Center especially.

I believe for most it comes down to 2 things:

1. Our history in that we've never really been able to sustain success like winning 8+ games success consistently. Mullen himself has never won more than 6 regular season games in an odd numbered year.
2. Our recent recruiting rankings compared to other SEC West teams. This metric carries a lot of weight with a bunch of these analysts.

Coach34
06-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm actually pretty excited we have the strongest player on the team playing Center myself

Coach34
06-26-2015, 04:40 PM
And I'll never listen to Fatboy's crap- summary?

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2015, 04:57 PM
And I'll never listen to Fatboy's crap- summary?

Basically two points:

1. By conservative numbers this year, MSU should average 33 points a game.

2. The media can't have it both ways. They can't say that Prescott will be the 1st team all SEC QB while also saying MSU will win 6 or 7 games and finish last in the West. That sort of thing has never happened in SEC history.

What I think the media fails to realize is that MSU didn't just beat teams last year, but, for the most part, we blew them out. The LSU, A&M, Auburn, & Kentucky games weren't very close. It isn't like we lucked out and won close games that hinged on one play, no, we dominated. MSU would have to drastically regress or the other teams drastically get better in order for our record to fall so far. It doesn't make sense.

Dawgface
06-26-2015, 05:16 PM
And I'll never listen to Fatboy's crap

Me either. He may be on the right team, but he has always come across as a prick.

Pollodawg
06-26-2015, 05:35 PM
He can be a little obnoxious, but in this case, he's actually right. It is ridiculous to see MSU get so little respect with the All SEC QB coming back with the bulk of his WR core intact. Modern college football has become QB driven to the point that to even hope to compete for a championship, you need at least a solid B+ signal caller.

I don't see how a team with the best QB in the country coming back can get so little respect. I am cool with them writing us off. In fact, I kinda hope the rest of the conference does too to be honest. It'll make it that much easier.

Dawg61
06-26-2015, 05:41 PM
It's more likely that Dak wins two more games than lose an extra four. We have a better chance of winning the Naty than we do of finishing last in the West.

Saltydog
06-26-2015, 07:40 PM
nt

dotcomdawg
06-27-2015, 06:00 AM
what's everyone's problem with Hadaad?

Coach34
06-27-2015, 09:18 AM
what's everyone's problem with Hadaad?

He didnt get our pizza orders correct

5 Star
06-27-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm actually pretty excited we have the strongest player on the team playing Center myself
Not doubting Clayborn's talent, at all. Just a little concerned that he can't replace Day's intangibles and leadership. Losing a 3-year starter there sucks.

Coach34
06-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Not doubting Clayborn's talent, at all. Just a little concerned that he can't replace Day's intangibles and leadership. Losing a 3-year starter there sucks.

My only concern is losing two guys in Day and Beckwith that were not only smart football players- but mean as shit. That's why they played above their talent level. Clayborn is strong as hell and talented. He graduated from JA- so he isnt a dumbass. But does he have that mean streak? Desper looked good when he played. Warren has looked good when he has played- much of it at TE though.

I'm not worried about the talent level of our OL- its improved. Just have to look for the intangible stuff- correct decisions under pressure, holding your water against blitz pressure and not jumping offsides, mean streaks, etc....

TheRef
06-27-2015, 10:50 AM
My only concern is losing two guys in Day and Beckwith that were not only smart football players- but mean as shit. That's why they played above their talent level. Clayborn is strong as hell and talented. He graduated from JA- so he isnt a dumbass. But does he have that mean streak? Desper looked good when he played. Warren has looked good when he has played- much of it at TE though.

I'm not worried about the talent level of our OL- its improved. Just have to look for the intangible stuff- correct decisions under pressure, holding your water against blitz pressure and not jumping offsides, mean streaks, etc....

Played against Clayborn, can confirm that he has a mean streak.

Willn1
06-27-2015, 10:54 AM
M

Maybe I am being a little naive, but haven't we had this same discussion about "if we can replace the offensive linemen we lost then we will be just fine" every off-season? Then miraculously Hevesey trots out 5 new guys who are just as good as the year before. The only time I can remember that our OL has struggled has been either with a rash of injuries and/or having an immobile ab. By the nature of our offense, we are playing 11 vs. 10 if we have a running ab. I think we'll be just fine on the OL....as usual.

FlabLoser
06-27-2015, 11:15 AM
I'll give Hadad props. Is does a real good job with Bulldog Sports Radio.

And I still think there should be an Elite show on BSR.

Dawg61
06-27-2015, 11:55 AM
M

Maybe I am being a little naive, but haven't we had this same discussion about "if we can replace the offensive linemen we lost then we will be just fine" every off-season? Then miraculously Hevesey trots out 5 new guys who are just as good as the year before. The only time I can remember that our OL has struggled has been either with a rash of injuries and/or having an immobile ab. By the nature of our offense, we are playing 11 vs. 10 if we have a running ab. I think we'll be just fine on the OL....as usual.

Well said. I consider it nervousness for the season to start. Nobody has said shit about losing JRob when that should be of much higher concern than losing Day. It's just something MSU fans do every year. Never worry about RBs. Always worry about OL. All it means to me is football is coming soon. I like it.

maroonmania
06-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Played against Clayborn, can confirm that he has a mean streak.

Can you confirm what kind of stomping ability he has?

dotcomdawg
06-27-2015, 03:29 PM
I think Hadaad is entertaining. He is certainly passionate about MSU. B&B is the best show on BSR by far.

TheRef
06-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Can you confirm what kind of stomping ability he has?

Haha....he's explosive off the snap, we'll put it that way.

5 Star
06-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Well said. I consider it nervousness for the season to start. Nobody has said shit about losing JRob when that should be of much higher concern than losing Day. It's just something MSU fans do every year. Never worry about RBs. Always worry about OL. All it means to me is football is coming soon. I like it.
No, it really shouldn't be. Offensive line is more important.