PDA

View Full Version : 7 wins?

Dawg61
06-25-2015, 12:19 AM
You serious with this bullshit? We spent OVER a month ranked #1 in the nation. We return what was #1 in the Heisman race Dak Prescott along with Bear Wilson and Chris Jones. We are nasty!! I EXPECT no less than 10-2.

BeardoMSU
06-25-2015, 12:28 AM
You serious with this bullshit? We spent OVER a month ranked #1 in the nation. We return what was #1 in the Heisman race Dak Prescott along with Bear Wilson and Chris Jones. We are nasty!! I EXPECT no less than 10-2.

7 wins would be a massive underachievement, unless we had numerous serious injuries in very key spots. 7 wins without key losses would not look good on our coaching staff, but how many programs would also say the same thing?

You return a QB like Dak, with the weapons he has at his disposal, you don't take a nose-dive. Period. Our defense could suck worse than last year (which isn't bloody likely), and we'd still be competitive due to the potency of our offense.

Dawg61
06-25-2015, 02:06 AM
7 wins would be a massive underachievement, unless we had numerous serious injuries in very key spots. 7 wins without key losses would not look good on our coaching staff, but how many programs would also say the same thing?

You return a QB like Dak, with the weapons he has at his disposal, you don't take a nose-dive. Period. Our defense could suck worse than last year (which isn't bloody likely), and we'd still be competitive due to the potency of our offense.

7 wins by Vegas is ****ing disrespectful!! The SEC world is about to meet a very pissed off very talented MSU!! I'm serious when I say I EXPECT 10-2. We are about to roll heads two years in a row!!

BulldogDX55
06-25-2015, 02:59 AM
7 wins by Vegas is ****ing disrespectful!! The SEC world is about to meet a very pissed off very talented MSU!! I'm serious when I say I EXPECT 10-2. We are about to roll heads two years in a row!!

It's really not disrespectful by Vegas and it is pointless to be mad at them. They make lines based on public perception and what they think will get even money, not based on what they actually believe. This just tells us that they believe that America still doesn't respect us, even if they have all the respect in the world for us. Relax and let it play out.

Dawgface
06-25-2015, 06:21 AM
If we lose to LSU, 7 wins possible.

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 10:15 AM

But, but, but... we'll never be able to replace our walk on starting Guard, our 2 star starting Center and our 2 star starting LT from last year. Not to mention we lost our 2 star starting DE , 2 star starting MLB and our 2 star starting TE from last year . Last year the prognosticators declared we didn't have enough talent to compete in the West. This year the prognosticators say we lost too much talent to compete in the West. Oh, woe is us!

DanDority
06-25-2015, 10:19 AM
One, two, or three KEY injuries and 7 wins is a good year!

Coach34
06-25-2015, 10:26 AM
I think we were at 7 or 7.5 last year...and mania hit it on the nose

Last year, we just didnt have enough talent to compete
This year? We cant possibly replace all the talent we lost.

Its comical

scottycameron
06-25-2015, 10:31 AM

One thing I'm pretty sure of - getting pissed off at Vegas and attempting to teach them a lesson generally ends very bad for the "teacher", financially speaking. You are certainly not the first yahoo who thought they were dumb and tried to prove it.

The "Vegas is biased against us" talk is the silliest thing on the whole internets.

scottycameron
06-25-2015, 10:36 AM
One thing I'm pretty sure of - getting pissed off at Vegas and attempting to teach them a lesson generally ends very bad for the "teacher", financially speaking. You are certainly not the first yahoo who thought they were dumb and tried to prove it.

The "Vegas is biased against us" talk is the silliest thing on the whole internets.

having said that.... MSU over is BY FAR the best bet on that list. At even money it still would be the best bet. I WILL bet it if I can. And having said that.... my view is slanted pretty bad on that bet whether I like it or not, and that will often cost you your ass. An unbiased opinion vs. a biased one is an unfair fight in the Vegas world. Doesn't mean you can't win, just means you're at a competitive disadvantage.
I'm smart enough to understand this and give this advice. I'm usually not smart enough to take it though. Case in point.

Dawg61
06-25-2015, 10:40 AM

We'd get 7 wins with our 1c team.

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 10:44 AM

All Vegas is worried about is having pretty close to the same number of bets on either side of the number. Like I said yesterday, with all the poor mouthing of our team they will get plenty of folks to bet on us at below 7.

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 10:45 AM
One, two, or three KEY injuries and 7 wins is a good year!

IMO, the only thing that might keep us from getting to AT LEAST 7 wins would be the loss of Dak early in the season.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2015, 10:59 AM
I think we were at 7 or 7.5 last year...and mania hit it on the nose

Last year, we just didnt have enough talent to compete
This year? We cant possibly replace all the talent we lost.

Its comical

No doubt coach.

And to add to it, if we win 9+ games, the media will talk about what an unbelievable coach Mullen is and how he needs to leave MSU and go to a school where he has real talent.

Look, I also believe that Mullen is a great coach, but they will make the story out to be that he is making lemons into Lemonade, & must leave MSU to have any further success.

HancockCountyDog
06-25-2015, 11:02 AM
If we win less than 9 with the best QB in our history and the talent all around him, it will be a disappointing season.

My only concern is that Vegas going to 7 wins - makes me think they know something that we don't.

PMDawg
06-25-2015, 11:06 AM
I don't think we are being as disrespected as everyone thinks. We are in a division of 7 top 25 teams. There will be losses by all and predicting it is tough. Our top end talent is as good as anyone's. We have questions surrounding our depth at OL and DL, and questions at Safety. Depth in the trenches is key in the SEC, and we have questions that need to be answered there. Until they are answered, I can see outsiders pegging us around 8-4. From there, a couple of bad bounces land you at 6-6 and a couple good ones at 10-2. If we were in the ACC, Big 10, SEC East, or Pac12 North, I think they would set that line closer to 9 or 9.5. If folks like Rankin, Desper, Johnson, Carter, Warren, thomas, calvin, coleman, and harris can hold their own...we compete for the west. If they can't and our safeties don't perform, 6 or 7 wins isn't out of the question. Personally I have us at 9, but I do understand the thought process behind that line.

Coach34
06-25-2015, 11:23 AM
I agree- if we don't win at least 9 this season will be very disappointing. It's never going to get better than this for us. All-SEC QB, 5-7 draft picks this April, really good WR group....we are as good as we are going to get

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 11:25 AM
I don't think we are being as disrespected as everyone thinks. We are in a division of 7 top 25 teams. There will be losses by all and predicting it is tough. Our top end talent is as good as anyone's. We have questions surrounding our depth at OL and DL, and questions at Safety. Depth in the trenches is key in the SEC, and we have questions that need to be answered there. Until they are answered, I can see outsiders pegging us around 8-4. From there, a couple of bad bounces land you at 6-6 and a couple good ones at 10-2. If we were in the ACC, Big 10, SEC East, or Pac12 North, I think they would set that line closer to 9 or 9.5. If folks like Rankin, Desper, Johnson, Carter, Warren, thomas, calvin, coleman, and harris can hold their own...we compete for the west. If they can't and our safeties don't perform, 6 or 7 wins isn't out of the question. Personally I have us at 9, but I do understand the thought process behind that line.

No, we ARE being pretty disrespected here. Vegas has us at the lowest of ALL the SEC West teams at 7, the next closest is TA&M at 8. True, there are things that could happen along the way or show up that would have us winning less than we think but you could say that about nearly any team. Right now, all things being equal, we are considered the worst team in the SEC West and only about 10th or 11th in the entire SEC.

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 11:28 AM
I agree- if we don't win at least 9 this season will be very disappointing. It's never going to get better than this for us. All-SEC QB, 5-7 draft picks this April, really good WR group....we are as good as we are going to get

That is the real dicotomy here. A lot of us MSU fans think this team could be as good or better than we've ever had, including last year, while pretty much all the talking heads are expecting a pretty decent dropoff from last year's MSU version. I hope we are the correct ones.

HancockCountyDog
06-25-2015, 11:28 AM

Totally agree - next year we will still be good, but the problem is that losing Dak, Bear, CJ, Redmond, and maybe a few more along with regular graduation is going to sting, and the SEC West is never going to be easy.

We have to take advantage of having the best QB in the SEC, if not the entire country this year. If we don't, we will regret it.

Also, if you think the national pundits aren't giving us respect now, just wait until preseason 2016, they may predict our over under at negative 2.

drunkernhelldawg
06-25-2015, 11:35 AM
That is the real dicotomy here. A lot of us MSU fans think this team could be as good or better than we've ever had, including last year, while pretty much all the talking heads are expecting a pretty decent dropoff from last year's MSU version. I hope we are the correct ones.

I do think we'll be better. Problem I have is that it looks like the competition will be better too. After hearing Mullen on the radio this morning though (public radio), I have a hard time seeing us lose any games.

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Also, if you think the national pundits aren't giving us respect now, just wait until preseason 2016, they may predict our over under at negative 2.

^^^ This all day.

Dawg496
06-25-2015, 11:44 AM
I do think we'll be better. Problem I have is that it looks like the competition will be better too. After hearing Mullen on the radio this morning though (public radio), I have a hard time seeing us lose any games.

What did he say?

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2015, 11:47 AM

See, I think our recruiting will continue to improve, & we have the chance to have more overall talented rosters than what we have this year.

However, I do see what your saying & I don't think anything is wrong with that. What we are this year & last year is "in the conversation"

All you can do in college football is put yourself in a position where you can win any given Saturday, and I think we have done that. However, there is a certain amount of luck involved & schedule & when you play teams factors in.

I would say that Auburn has had better teams than the one that won the NC with Cam Newton, but that year everything fell right for them

Is it likely that MSU has numerous years where we have a more talented team than this years? Not likely, but that doesn't mean that we can't be just as good with a better schedule or we catch teams at the right time in certain years & that offers us the opportunity to win more games.

All I am saying is that we are in the conversation. Just like in Major League Baseball or the NFL, the best team doesn't always win the championship, but what you have to be is "good enough" and I think Mullen has built a foundation at MSU that we have a chance to be consistently "good enough" and once you are "good enough", anything can happen.

Offshore Dawg
06-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Folks: it is all about "PERCEPTION". nobody outside the world of Dawg think MSU can repeat with two 10 win seasons in a row, that is based on history. But as I tell people "THIS IS NOT MY FATHERS MSU".

DancingRabbit
06-25-2015, 11:52 AM

What station? Do they have podcasts?

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Folks: it is all about "PERCEPTION". nobody outside the world of Dawg think MSU can repeat with two 10 win seasons in a row, that is based on history. But as I tell people "THIS IS NOT MY FATHERS MSU".

10 I can understand, what's amazing is how many only think we will win 6 or 7.

HancockCountyDog
06-25-2015, 12:27 PM
10 I can understand, what's amazing is how many only think we will win 6 or 7.

For us to win only 7, we would have to lose every toss up game:

LSU
Bama
@AU
@Mizzou
@ARK

We would have to lose all of those. I don't think A&M, OM or KY are toss ups. Maybe A&M. Still, we aren't going to lose all 5 toss up games. Maybe we lose 2-3, but not all 5. No one loses all of their toss up games unless they have major injuries.

drunkernhelldawg
06-25-2015, 12:49 PM
What station? Do they have podcasts?

90.3 on the coast. It was on a weekly sports interview show called "Season Pass". Dak was on too, but I didn't hear that part yet. Here's a link to the show page from the MPB website. http://www.mpbonline.org/mpbsseasonpass/

Dallas_Dawg
06-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Well let's make some money off those ****ers

MSUDawg99
06-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Media underestimating us like everybody always underestimates Mizzou too.

scottycameron
06-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Media underestimating us like everybody always underestimates Mizzou too.

vegas ain't the media. I can assure you. Wrong thread.

scottycameron
06-25-2015, 02:04 PM
vegas ain't the media. I can assure you. Wrong thread.

and I also like Mizzou over. Two good bets right there.

Bothrops
06-25-2015, 02:35 PM
They don't like programs like us, and we're at the very bottom of that list. I think we have a chance to be great, but Lsu is going to test our will in week two. If we lose that game, 7 wins become a real possibility.

Coach34
06-25-2015, 03:01 PM
I agree on LSU- neither team can afford to lose that game

TUSK
06-25-2015, 03:04 PM
I think it's a little low, as well...

Just curious... Who on here has taken advantage of the low Vegas O/U?... and for how much?

Billy Ray Valentine
06-25-2015, 03:55 PM
If you wanta get it at 7 you prolly oughta get your bet in right quick like cause I don't see it staying at 7 very long.

blacklistedbully
06-25-2015, 04:37 PM
If we win less than 9 with the best QB in our history and the talent all around him, it will be a disappointing season.

My only concern is that Vegas going to 7 wins - makes me think they know something that we don't.

Actually, they know something we DO know, that we are undervalued by the general public, so it will take a low number of total wins to encourage even betting. It's been said by others a few times in this thread, and they are all spot-on. Vegas isn't trying to forecast outcomes, they are trying to gauge and influence betting trends.

BulldogBear
06-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Yes, they know we are undervalued by the general public, so it will take a low number of total wins to encourage even betting. It's been aid by others a few times in this thread, and they are all spot-on. Vegas isn't trying to forecast outcomes, they are trying to gauge and influence betting trends.

Exactly. Same goes for point spreads. It's not always a "prediction" type of thing.

Vinsanity
06-25-2015, 05:41 PM
We could go 15-0 and win each game by blowout margins and we would still be projected to be mediocre the following season. That's just the nature of the beast.

HSVDawg
06-25-2015, 06:07 PM
No one loses all of their toss up games unless they have major injuries.

You mean exactly what happened to us in 2011? It isn't that farfetched. Always gotta have good luck with injuries to make a run. Thats why I'm expecting around 8-4 and anything better will be a bonus.

Coach34
06-25-2015, 06:23 PM
You mean exactly what happened to us in 2011? It isn't that farfetched. Always gotta have good luck with injuries to make a run. Thats why I'm expecting around 8-4 and anything better will be a bonus.

2011 was worst case. We had zero depth on the OL. We literally couldnt afford 1 injury there- and we had 3 in the first 3 games. We arent at that point with any position group- even DT or Safety. The depth we have on offense right now is outstanding- and I just dont see a rash of DT and Safety injuries coming our way

Dawgcentral
06-25-2015, 06:48 PM
I think we win at least 9, and 50% of the fan base will be pissed off.