PDA

View Full Version : Incoming impact hitters/fielders for 2016

MsStateBaseball
06-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Some of these players will have a single job. A couple will play in the field and hit.

MIF Luke Alexander 6-0 180: as of right now, I think he comes in to play defense only. This may change after some fall scrimmages. He is an elite defender.

C Elih Marrero 5-10 190: let's see, he is a switch hitter, the #1 ranked catcher in the state of Florida (what does that tell you), his father was a MLB catcher for 10 years. He is superb defender and hitter. He will push for playing time behind starter Gavin Collins, he will hit DH sometimes too. A true impact player.

C/2B/OF Hunter Stovall 5-10 180: he is ranked the #1 catcher in the state of Alabama per PG. He is also an elite hitter from the right side. I see him being a backup at multiple positions but may log more time at DH.

1B Nate Lowe 6-3 235: a JC transfer who will be a Junior. A big time HR hitter from the junior college ranks. He may start a few games at 1B but I see him mainly a backup at first. I see him hitting DH more than anyone else. He bats left, throws right.

3B/OF Jacob Barfield 6-0 205: the newest member of the 2015 signing class. He comes from a Texas JC, he will be a sophomore. He was banged up most of the 2015 season but still hit 11 HR's. Just like Lowe, I see him mainly has a backup defensively at 3B but his main claim to fame in 2016 will be the DH role.

Brant Blaylock, Jake Mangum and Tanner Poole are all OF's but I see a log jam out there. We already have 5 OF's returning not including Reid Humphreys who can play out there. Unless they make a difference in fall ball, I see redshirt for those 3 new guys.

We needed some impact hitters in this class but we lost 2 of those in the MLB draft. Marrero, Stovall, Lowe and Barfield are the choices now for new impact hitters. Let's hope they make adjustments and contribute to our struggling offense in 2016.

engie
06-24-2015, 06:52 PM
So, we going with a half dozen DH next year? I get what you are saying and agree -- but I'm already dreading having to read the bitching about "getting the best lineup on the field" from the usual suspects when you have shown is basically impossible given the nature of our talent. SABR doesn't tell us anything about fielding, so that will be conveniently left out of that argument.

I can easily see a situation where we move Collins from C. He can play elsewhere. He's never figured out the receiving side of catching. But it's tough to count on a true freshman in that spot and I do not trust Lovelady hitting-wise. That said, the team was alot better when he was back there, and he seems to have the leadership that we lack. We are going to have a logjam at 1B. We need Barfield to step up and take 3B. No idea how he'll be over there. But if he can't, he's just adding to the logjam at dh/1b.

I see no one as an "unquestioned" starter for us. Not a single guy.

Todd4State
06-24-2015, 07:09 PM
With Luke it depends on how well and how quickly he adjusts to SEC pitching and also how Holland does- and he is having a really good summer.

Marrero is also depends on how quickly he adjusts to SEC pitching and how much progress Collins make and whether Gavin switches positions or not. Elih might share the starting job, but he will basically be learning more than anything- although his learning curve could be accelerated because of his bloodlines.

I think Stovall ends up at second base and becomes a fan favorite. I think he will be more of a pinch hitter next year and will take over when Gridley leaves.

I'm not sure how much Lowe will play. I think Reid Humphreys gets the first base job. Lowe might DH for us.

Barfield is all about how healthy he is. I think he finds a spot somewhere- it could be third base, it could be RF. And yes, I do think Luke Reynolds will still start- and I wouldn't be shocked if he is moved to the OF if Barfield wins the third base job. If Lowe doesn't adjust quickly, I could see Barfield or Reynolds DH.

Blaylock and Mangum are two guys that I like- but they'll be reserves for us this year. They'll get their shot once Robson, Smith, and Cody Brown leave over the course of the next two years.

Tanner Poole probably redshirts.

Todd4State
06-24-2015, 07:12 PM
So, we going with a half dozen DH next year? I get what you are saying and agree -- but I'm already dreading having to read the bitching about "getting the best lineup on the field" from the usual suspects when you have shown is basically impossible given the nature of our talent. SABR doesn't tell us anything about fielding, so that will be conveniently left out of that argument.
I can easily see a situation where we move Collins from C. He can play elsewhere. He's never figured out the receiving side of catching. But it's tough to count on a true freshman in that spot and I do not trust Lovelady hitting-wise. That said, the team was alot better when he was back there, and he seems to have the leadership that we lack. We are going to have a logjam at 1B. We need Barfield to step up and take 3B. No idea how he'll be over there. But if he can't, he's just adding to the logjam at dh/1b.

That cracked me up.

I'm like you as far as first base- I'm not sure what we are going to do, but I bet it's Reid Humphreys. The problem is I can't see Lowe playing another position. As well as Rooker is hitting this summer, I think he starts in LF. I guess it is possible that we could play Lowe at first and Humphreys in RF.

MsStateBaseball
06-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Based on these incoming guys, we obviously need returnees to have their best year.

1B-Hump
2B-Holland
SS-Gridley
3B-Reynolds
C-Collins
LF-Cody Brown
CF-Robson
RF-Smith
DH-Rooker

In my mind, as it stands now. Each one is very capable. A few are capable of being over .300 hitters. We just need the newcomers to push them, get better and contribute when called upon. In the hitting department, we don't have a newcomer who will start right off. Adjusting to SEC pitchers is of course, the whole key.

MsStateBaseball
06-24-2015, 07:24 PM
The incoming pitchers will have much more of an impact than the hitters. Which is what the coaches had hoped from the beginning.

Todd4State
06-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Based on these incoming guys, we obviously need returnees to have their best year.

1B-Hump
2B-Holland
SS-Gridley
3B-Reynolds
C-Collins
LF-Cody Brown
CF-Robson
RF-Smith
DH-Rooker

In my mind, as it stands now. Each one is very capable. A few are capable of being over .300 hitters. We just need the newcomers to push them, get better and contribute when called upon. In the hitting department, we don't have a newcomer who will start right off. Adjusting to SEC pitchers is of course, the whole key.

I think that lineup is very possible. It would be nice if one of the JUCO's steps up right away though.

engie
06-24-2015, 07:29 PM
No point in bringing in 20 players if you are basically sticking with exactly what already didn't work and failed to grow a set last year...

I think some of them progress nicely. Certainly. But I think you need another power bat in that lineup somewhere.

KB21
06-24-2015, 10:15 PM
No point in bringing in 20 players if you are basically sticking with exactly what already didn't work and failed to grow a set last year...

I think some of them progress nicely. Certainly. But I think you need another power bat in that lineup somewhere.

I think Rooker and Humphreys will supply that power. I get what you are saying about sticking with what already didn't work, but look at the mix there. Jacob Robson was a 3rd year sophomore that stepped up big time. Cody Brown was a 3rd year sophomore. Luke Reynolds was a sophomore who transferred in from a JUCO. Reid Humphreys was a sophomore. Brent Rooker was a redshirt freshman. Michael Smith was a junior transfer from JUCO. Gavin Collins was a sophomore. John Holland was a junior transfer from JUCO. Ryan Gridley was a true freshman. I mentioned this in another thread, but if you had based Hunter Renfroe's projection for his junior season off his sophomore season, you would have never guessed that he would have hit the way he did as a junior.

smootness
06-24-2015, 11:08 PM
I know people have focused on what we lost, Pickett and especially Riley, but this is a good class for positional talent. If we hadn't signed Riley and Pickett and brought all these guys in, I think we'd be pretty excited about it.

Marrero is the highest-rated position player Cohen has brought in yet, and Stovall is ranked about as well as anyone as well. Alexander is a very good prospect. Lowe and Barfield are good JUCOs. And we have the usual group of project types with tools in the rest.

And I agree with those who think we'll see a big boost in power and overall numbers from a few guys. It happens all the time in college baseball. We have the talent, and I think some of it will finally show up in a pretty big way next year.

KB21
06-24-2015, 11:20 PM
I know people have focused on what we lost, Pickett and especially Riley, but this is a good class for positional talent. If we hadn't signed Riley and Pickett and brought all these guys in, I think we'd be pretty excited about it.

Marrero is the highest-rated position player Cohen has brought in yet, and Stovall is ranked about as well as anyone as well. Alexander is a very good prospect. Lowe and Barfield are good JUCOs. And we have the usual group of project types with tools in the rest.

And I agree with those who think we'll see a big boost in power and overall numbers from a few guys. It happens all the time in college baseball. We have the talent, and I think some of it will finally show up in a pretty big way next year.

Everyone's pace of development is different. Some are like Gavin Collins who produced right out of the shoot. Some are like Hunter Renfroe who needed two years to figure things out. Heck, I remember this time last year many were looking at the possibility of Jacob Robson starting and thinking that there was no way he would end up winning that job based on his previous play. He was only the best hitter on the team this past season.

Irondawg
06-24-2015, 11:26 PM
I see it like this - we have 3 guys that I am 99% confident will be regular starters: Collins( DH, C or RF), Gridley (SS) , Robson (CF). Then i feel pertty sure Holland (2B), Humphries (RF/1B), Cody Brown will be there unless they bomb in the fall/winter. Lots and lots of possibilities for the other 3 lineup spots. Rooker comes in with a lead for one of the spots if he keeps hitting this summer. Same with Reynolds.

If Marrero shows good receiving skills and anything with the bat, i think we go with him at C with Lovelady getting tie as well. There are going to be some very, very interesting battles because very few guys earned a long leash this year.

MSUDawg4Life
06-24-2015, 11:41 PM

You might be right, but I don't think that's a problem for any of the guys. Knowing baseball players, I'm sure they all can't wait to earn their spot. All they want is a chance to go out there and prove they belong in the lineup. I look forward to seeing how things work out. It should be interesting.

Todd4State
06-24-2015, 11:41 PM

Getting Barfield was a really good get for this late in the game. He's the contingency plan that I criticized Cohen about not having after Riley was drafted. So, I'll give him credit for finding and landing him. I especially like that he has three years left to play.

We're also getting a couple of mid level power hitters in Walker Robbins and Will Brooks that I don't think will go pro at this time at least- and Robbins did pretty well on the mound and at the plate in PG this week. Then there is a player named Trace Jordan from Sumrall that would be another really nice pick up for our upcoming class that I would like to see us pick up for the next class.

engie
06-25-2015, 12:06 AM
You might be right, but I don't think that's a problem for any of the guys. Knowing baseball players, I'm sure they all can't wait to earn their spot. All they want is a chance to go out there and prove they belong in the lineup. I look forward to seeing how things work out. It should be interesting.

If we have that personality trait -- we haven't seen it from this crew yet. Color me skeptical on that. It's a large part of the reason I'm hoping for a good bit of fresh blood. Some, like Rooker -- and to some extent Reynolds -- showed glimpses but have not had a full "chance" yet. Some(Collins) were debilitated with injury. Others had their chance and cowered when the lights came on. There's a difference between not being developed/ready yet(which I agree they weren't) -- and being visibly scared and shaken and hoping for a walk when it's their turn to win a game for us. This team, and to some extent the previous team, were "scared" of success. The whole team personality changed from the 11,12,13 teams who were never going to quit and was going to make the fans that did look like fools 2 innings later. I want to see that. I want to see Mainieri in tears because Butch is f'n with him. I want to see it again because we threw high and tight, got in their heads, and shut them down. I want to see Kevin O'Sullivan whining all over the place. THAT is what I loved about early Cohen teams that has to come back. It's an attitude -- and it is contagious. I want freshmen that have a hat trick of k's coming to the plate with a game on the line and looking like Travis Chapman up there in the box. It's not about consistent success from these guys for me -- it's about doing it when it matters.

Backspin
06-25-2015, 10:10 AM
If we have that personality trait -- we haven't seen it from this crew yet. Color me skeptical on that. It's a large part of the reason I'm hoping for a good bit of fresh blood. Some, like Rooker -- and to some extent Reynolds -- showed glimpses but have not had a full "chance" yet. Some(Collins) were debilitated with injury. Others had their chance and cowered when the lights came on. There's a difference between not being developed/ready yet(which I agree they weren't) -- and being visibly scared and shaken and hoping for a walk when it's their turn to win a game for us. This team, and to some extent the previous team, were "scared" of success. The whole team personality changed from the 11,12,13 teams who were never going to quit and was going to make the fans that did look like fools 2 innings later. I want to see that. I want to see Mainieri in tears because Butch is f'n with him. I want to see it again because we threw high and tight, got in their heads, and shut them down. I want to see Kevin O'Sullivan whining all over the place. THAT is what I loved about early Cohen teams that has to come back. It's an attitude -- and it is contagious. I want freshmen that have a hat trick of k's coming to the plate with a game on the line and looking like Travis Chapman up there in the box. It's not about consistent success from these guys for me -- it's about doing it when it matters.

A friend of mine's son visited ULL (Louisiana-Lafayette) last week and was offered. It was interesting to hear ULL head coach Tony Robicheaux's approach to the types of position players they recruit which gives some insight into ULL's success. Robicheaux said they don't recruit kids who go to the plate timid and with a "deer in the headlights" look in big games especially against SEC opponents and in regionals and supers. He said ULL is a mid-major and he can't do anything about that but they want players who are going to be confident and aggressive at the plate in any situation. He took the recruit to meet the strength and conditioning coach and said that the S/C coach was in Afghanistan four years ago as a Navy Seal and he prepares his players both mentally and physically to be tough. That's the aggressive approach to hitting and overall play that ULL takes.

War Machine Dawg
06-25-2015, 10:14 AM

1B-Hump
2B-Holland
SS-Gridley
3B-Reynolds
C-Collins
LF-Cody Brown
CF-Robson
RF-Smith
DH-Rooker

If we do this, fire Cohen today. Don't make us suffer another season. That group isn't winning shit.

War Machine Dawg
06-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Nailed it. And it's why I'm skeptical Cohen can turn it around. Once the culture of your program has gone down the shitter, it's hard to get it back. Lots of great coaches have had it happen. And quite frankly, his refusal to make any staff changes this offseason - especially with the S&C part - tell me most of what I need to know. And it ain't good.

maroonmania
06-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Nailed it. And it's why I'm skeptical Cohen can turn it around. Once the culture of your program has gone down the shitter, it's hard to get it back. Lots of great coaches have had it happen. And quite frankly, his refusal to make any staff changes this offseason - especially with the S&C part - tell me most of what I need to know. And it ain't good.

Well, its been said several times, but the proof will be in the pudding after the 2016 season is in the books. The program better get turned around at least to the point of being back in the NCAA post-season.

engie
06-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Well, its been said several times, but the proof will be in the pudding after the 2016 season is in the books. The program better get turned around at least to the point of being back in the NCAA post-season.

Exactly. Which is why I don't see the point of on the wagon, off the wagon, etc... This works itself out next year regardless.

5 Star
06-25-2015, 03:09 PM

1B-Hump
2B-Holland
SS-Gridley
3B-Reynolds
C-Collins
LF-Cody Brown
CF-Robson
RF-Smith
DH-Rooker

Great lineup, IMO. If a freshman or JUCO guy beats them out, well then they must be pretty doggone good. Combine this will the infusion of relief pitching to the core of those guys playing summer ball right now, and you have the makings for a great team.

In addition, the new guys will be transitioned in slowly, and be ready to take over the team in 2017, because we are going to lose about 6-7 of those guys to the draft or graduation next June.

5 Star
06-25-2015, 03:11 PM
I think Rooker and Humphreys will supply that power. I get what you are saying about sticking with what already didn't work, but look at the mix there. Jacob Robson was a 3rd year sophomore that stepped up big time. Cody Brown was a 3rd year sophomore. Luke Reynolds was a sophomore who transferred in from a JUCO. Reid Humphreys was a sophomore. Brent Rooker was a redshirt freshman. Michael Smith was a junior transfer from JUCO. Gavin Collins was a sophomore. John Holland was a junior transfer from JUCO. Ryan Gridley was a true freshman. I mentioned this in another thread, but if you had based Hunter Renfroe's projection for his junior season off his sophomore season, you would have never guessed that he would have hit the way he did as a junior.
Excellent post KB21, agree completely. There are going to be many surprised fans next spring.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Great lineup, IMO. If a freshman or JUCO guy beats them out, well then they must be pretty doggone good. Combine this will the infusion of relief pitching to the core of those guys playing summer ball right now, and you have the makings for a great team.

In addition, the new guys will be transitioned in slowly, and be ready to take over the team in 2017, because we are going to lose about 6-7 of those guys to the draft or graduation next June.

Well then these guys better get a lot better this summer. Because this group offensively last year were just plain offensive.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2015, 08:29 PM
It is a little concerning that we have players for the last few years go to the Cape and have great summers and "put it all together". I wonder why they have to leave Starkville to all of the sudden get better. Im not questioning the coaching. It just seems odd.

5 Star
06-25-2015, 09:01 PM
It is a little concerning that we have players for the last few years go to the Cape and have great summers and "put it all together". I wonder why they have to leave Starkville to all of the sudden get better. Im not questioning the coaching. It just seems odd.
Happens with every team. If Cohen could coach them in summer ball, I'm sure he would. It's just natural maturation, getting reps you might say. College ball is about winning, summer ball is strictly about development.