PDA

View Full Version : The Gridiron Four Grain Bourbon

SapperDawg
06-23-2015, 10:25 PM
I have been studying self-vatting whiskeys for several months now, and have been small scale testing at my home bar for the last several weeks. In short, the goal is to transform through mixing one or more whiskeys that are better together than on their own. My alternate goal is to create a less than $30 bottle of custom blended booze that you would be proud to serve and have as your every day drinker.

After many attempts thus far, and much research, I have at least landed on the premise that I will base this blend on: it will be a four grain bourbon - corn, rye, barley and wheat.

Right now I have three test vats sitting -
1: 94 proof combined - Old Weller Antique (OWA-wheat), Old Charter 8 Season (not to be confused with the 8 yo), and Elijah Craig 12 yo (EC12). All mixed evenly.
2: 88 proof combined - Weller Special Reserve (wheat), Old Charter 8 Season, EC12 all mixed evenly.
3: 89 proof combined - OWA, Jim Beam Black (8 yo), Benchmark #8. All mixed evenly.

Right now, #3 and #2 are tied for the lead, but I am going to let them marry for the next three weeks while I am in Japan and make a final decision on this grouping when I return. Initial impressions are that #3 has the best nose, followed by #1 and #2. I go between #2 and #3 on taste as #3 is more woody but #2 is more rye forward and pleasant - likely due to the lower proof.

I also want to make a high shelf of this mix with: Bernheim Wheat, Eagle Rare 10 and Elijah Craig 12. I also have some Charter 8 yo I may try this with. This one should be about $27 with the Eagle Rare and $22 with the Charter.

For the low shelf version, I am going to try Rebel Yell (wheat), JBB and BM#8, which should equal about $18 a bottle if it turns out to be worth a crap.

There is also the possibility of really kicking up the proof using EC Barrel Proof/Makers Cask Strength/Charter 101. This would likely be one hellova mixer, and way over 100 proof.

The Gridiron Four Grain (G4G) experiment is moving forward. More to follow as we lead up to kickoff.

SapperDawg
06-26-2015, 05:12 PM
UPDATE: After about a week of marinating, the general feeling is #2 and #3 are the clear favorites, depending on which you try first. I am going to do one more trial when I return from Japan using Rebel Yell as the low shelf wheater, and Bernihm as the high shelf wheater, and then we are at final decision mixing time.

I did try a small batch with Makers, and it was not good.

Prediction? Pain.
06-26-2015, 09:14 PM
How much is Rebel Yell in your area? I've been digging on Larceny recently, and at only ~$21, it may be in the ballpark for a potential option for your low-shelf wheated component.

SapperDawg
06-26-2015, 10:04 PM
$19 for the rebel yell reserve. Have not noticed Larceny in any store yet - but glad to hear it is in the low 20 price point.

SapperDawg
08-17-2015, 09:17 PM
I was able to get two bottles of Larceny during business travel of the last month. After working that into my vatting, the Gridiron Four Grain has been finalized: equal parts Larceny, Elijah Criag 12 and Old Charter 8 Year Old.

This has been the best blend BY FAR. By my calculations, I have about $21 and change per 750 ml invested in this blend. Sort of glad to reach the end here, as I have gone to work with the bad head a few days over the last month after getting carried away with the tastings.

Now come on football!

Prediction? Pain.
08-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Awesome. I'm glad you were able to find (and presumably enjoy) Larceny, and that it helped take your blend over the top. It's a solid wheated bourbon for a solid price.

Congrats on finalizing your project. To what would you compare your latest blend? And do you think you've hit your goal of making a blend that's better than it's individual components?

SapperDawg
08-18-2015, 07:35 AM
The only thing I have had comparable is this year's Jefferson's Chef Collaboration release. The only true four grain bourbon on the market I know of is one produced by Hudson and I have never had it.

I think that it is a success in that as an everyday drinker it is better than any one of the components - even though I like them all on their own. I will definately be more likely to pick this up than the OC. It has definately smoothed out the rough edges that each of these have on their own.