PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Sallee is brainless.....

maroonmania
06-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Not even going to link this off bleacher report and only bring it up because its a dead time of year but he made his predictions for all of the SEC teams with his "optimistic", "pessimistic" and "realistic" expectations for the season. Here is his "realistic" predictions for the SEC West teams which I will leave here without additional comment because none is needed.

Alabama - 11-1
Auburn - 11-1
Ole Miss - 9-3
Texas A&M - 9-3
LSU - 8-4
Arkansas - 7-5

and wait for it....

MSU - 6-6 :mad:

Dawgface
06-23-2015, 06:16 PM
He's just saying what all the talking heads are saying. Hopefully we prove them wrong.

Coach34
06-23-2015, 06:19 PM
26 of 32 teams in the last 10 years that returned a player getting Heisman votes won 9+ that year. Only 1 of 32 won as little as 7. Nobody went 6-6

6-6 this year and Mullen makes history

BeardoMSU
06-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Wow....these guys are gonna hate us this year.

http://media.giphy.com/media/PHzlhHB9Z0AFi/giphy.gif

gravedigger
06-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Pretty good indicator that we won't go 6-6. He hasn't been right about us since Mullen became coach.

Call it black helicopters if you wish, but it appears that if MSU wanted to have positive predictions made about it, there are plenty of so called experts that would be all too willing to make them if we paid.

Bottom line: if offseason articles are what you hang your hat on, there are enough "pretend" experts to make it happen. I think it's far more entertaining to watch them make excuses when they are proven wrong.

Sort of like watching Mel kiper and taking him seriously. He's no more accurate than a circus monkey. But to some, he is an expert.

BulldogBear
06-23-2015, 06:26 PM
I do have say to at least once that the consipracy theorist part of me wonders and shudders a bit with all the preseason predictions of business as usual for Mississippi State and the SEC. I am concerned at least a smidge and at least once brain cell wonders if the fix is in because we knocked over some priviledged childrens' sand castles last year. Beware the Zebras. "They are terrible." LOTR fans will like that one.

gravedigger
06-23-2015, 06:30 PM
26 of 32 teams in the last 10 years that returned a player getting Heisman votes won 9+ that year. Only 1 of 32 won as little as 7. Nobody went 6-6

6-6 this year and Mullen makes history

Where the hell did you pull that stat from? Not that it isn't believable, but it's pretty obscure.

BulldogBear
06-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Where the hell did you pull that stat from? Not that it isn't believable, but it's pretty obscure.

There was a whole thread on it complete with charts. I wish I could remember how far back to go. It may have been something by Beastman. I can't remember.

TUSK
06-23-2015, 06:41 PM

I'd be curious to know how many Heisman Vote "getters" actually returned the following year... between SRs and early NFL entrants, it seems like there wouldn't be a lot...

DancingRabbit
06-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Here's Sallee's predictions from 2014

Auburn 11-1 (7-1 SEC) SECW Champs, lose to Georgia in SEC championship game
Bama 11-1 (7-1 SEC)
LSU 9-3 (5-3 SEC)
UM 9-3 (5-3 SEC)
aTm 7-5 (3-5 SEC)
Miss State 7-5 (3-5 SEC)
Arkansas 3-9 (0-8 SEC)

Some more Sallee "bold predictions"

Florida Will Play Georgia for the SEC East Crown
Georgia Will Win the SEC and Make the College Football Playoff
Marquez North Will Have 1,100 or More Receiving Yards (actually 320)
Jerron Seymour Will Break the 1,000-Yard Rushing Mark (actually 123)
Nick Marshall Will Top 3,000 Yards Through the Air (actually 2532)
Mississippi State's Pass D Will Be Top 3 in the SEC (ha)
Bo Wallace Will Throw More Than 25 TD Passes (22)

Coach34
06-23-2015, 07:00 PM

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/6/11/8764923/fun-with-charts-returning-starters-experience-and-the-glory-of-x-and

DistrictDawg92
06-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Most writers get too hung up on the name of schools during the pre-season. If Tennessee had gone 10-3 last year and returned the 1st-team All-SEC Heisman candidate QB with the amount of weapons we are returning, they would be consensus top 5-10 pre-season nationally. Last year we went from pre-season NR to #1 in just 7 weeks. Pre-season rankings are purely for the big name school's ego, regardless, the cream will always rise to the top.

Dallas_Dawg
06-23-2015, 07:44 PM
I hope we never "pay" for preseason prognosticators to put us in any top 25. We do better when we aren't picked do do shit. See 2001 and 2014.

Drugdog
06-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Saly can bite my hairy ass.

MSUDawg99
06-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Barrett Sallee is brainless? You're late to the party, but welcome.

BeardoMSU
06-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Barrett Sallee is brainless? You're late to the party, but welcome.

Like I said: These guys are going to hate us, because all their "expertise" is about to get exposed. That says something about a profession, really....when anyone who knows just a little bit about sports could do the exact same thing you do, and probably do it better; you just have to have freshman level writing ability. The fact that guys like Sallee consider themselves journalists makes really makes me feel bad for the real journalists who have to trudge along knowing they share a discipline with clowns like these.

TUSK
06-23-2015, 09:23 PM
in fairness, he missed on what everyone else did... how bad AU would be and how good MSU would be...

5 outta 7 ain't bad...

I'll grant you this; a genius, he isn't....

mstatefan91
06-23-2015, 09:39 PM
in fairness, he missed on what everyone else did... how bad AU would be and how good MSU would be...

5 outta 7 ain't bad...

He missed Arkansas too. 4/7 does not make one an expert

BeardoMSU
06-23-2015, 09:43 PM

No shit. Especially when you "go out on the limb" and project the Bamas, LSUs, and Georgias of the world to do 'aight every year.

mstatefan91
06-23-2015, 09:47 PM
No shit. Especially when you "go out on the limb" and project the Bamas, LSUs, and Georgias of the world to do 'aight every year.

It's like saying Ole Miss has the best 'cruitin class to ever grace the earth. Everyone else already knows.**

EAVdog
06-23-2015, 09:52 PM
It wouldn't be the off-season without everyone pimping Ole Miss and shitting on us. Just a fact of life.

maroonmania
06-23-2015, 10:00 PM

5 outta 7 ain't bad...

Sallee is brainless because he knows NOTHING about assessing any team other than looking at their recruiting ranking over the past few seasons. That's how he ranks every year is by going right down the line on where your average rank in recruiting has been the past few years.

Homedawg
06-23-2015, 10:24 PM
I'll take 8-4 and go to the house. Look at the schedule, 4 tough road games and bama and lsu at home. That's tough.

TUSK
06-23-2015, 10:28 PM

he picked their SECW finish as 7th, I thought.... but they did steal a couple of games vs UM and LSU that no one would have predicted pre season....

DancingRabbit
06-23-2015, 10:31 PM

Well, technically he got 3 out of 7 right. Alabama, UM and aTm.

TUSK
06-23-2015, 10:57 PM
I dig what all you cats are sayin.... he ****ed up on how bad LSU and AU were and how good MSU was....

he was correct with the records of UA, UM and ATM and he picked the last place team as Arkie....

I'm not defending the asshat... I'm just sayin' he's not "anti-MSU"... that's all.

damn, I'm tired, now.

maroonmania
06-23-2015, 11:08 PM
I dig what all you cats are sayin.... he ****ed up on how bad LSU and AU were and how good MSU was....

he was correct with the records of UA, UM and ATM and he picked the last place team as Arkie....

I'm not defending the asshat... I'm just sayin' he's not "anti-MSU"... that's all.

damn, I'm tired, now.

Oh, he's definitely anti-MSU because we don't get enough of them there blue chippers.

DancingRabbit
06-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Oh, he's definitely anti-MSU because we don't get enough of them there blue chippers.

That and the fact that Mullen turned in Cam's daddy. Sallee went to Auburn, by the way.

According to him every year Mullen is either on the hot seat, or about to jump ship for greener pastures.

BeardoMSU
06-23-2015, 11:36 PM
According to him every year Mullen is either on the hot seat, or about to jump ship for greener pastures.

This is true.

maroonmania
06-24-2015, 10:33 AM
That and the fact that Mullen turned in Cam's daddy. Sallee went to Auburn, by the way.

Yep, I had forgotten he was an Auburn guy, that explains a lot.