PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - BrunswickDawg's Bulleit HIJACK!

BrunswickDawg
06-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Since Sapper and Speck both expressed interest in my opin Saturday night, I thought I would attempt it. So, here we go

Bulleit vs. Bulleit 10

First the similarities - proof is pretty close 90 vs. 91.2, color is pretty similar. Both are easy drinkers (I went on rocks - mainly because it has been hot as balls lately).

The Bulleit gives lots of sweet on the nose - caramel, orange rind, vanilla, clove, but sharp.
The caramel and vanilla standout on the palate. It is not too hot, and the finish is consistent with the caramel and vanilla leading the way.
It is a clean, sharp bourbon, and versatile. I can drink it neat, on the rocks, over lemonade (great this time of year), or in a top shelf Manhattan. It really has become my go to. My only complaint is the stores locally only carry the 750ml bottle and price it consistently high ($30-$35 depending on the store). That is mainly b/c as a tourist area they move less premium and "craft" items. At my BIL's favorite store in Marietta this weekend, it was $24.

The Bulleit 10 Year is richer on the nose. You have the caramel, and vanilla, but tosses on maple sugar, and the oaky barrel. The caramel, vanilla, and some apple and orange come through on the palatte, with a hit of that barrel and even some licorice bite. The finish is all wood and barrel spice with a nice sweet, and is dryer than the regular. At $46 - is a good "step up", that I will probably hold for sipping - although I think it would make a kick ass add to my Triple Shot Eggnog at Christmas (I go all out for that one, and is my one over the top alcohol splurge for the year). I'd put it on par with Woodford Reserve.

Thoughts?

SapperDawg
06-23-2015, 08:29 PM
I agree with you here - much more woody than the younger brother, and it kept the rye burn that I like. I agree with you on the comparison to Woodford, this one is just as good, but would probably work better for top shelf cocktail use due to the higher rye content.

I kind of hope they hit a 15ish year version soon, as I enjoy the creamier mouthfeel from the older expressions that this one didn't seem to have.

Prediction? Pain.
06-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Just discovered that these threads exist. Nice work, y'all.

We're pretty big fans of Bulleit in my household. Usually just the brand's flagship, but occasionally we'll pick up some of their rye (MGP's involvement notwithstanding). It actually may be my wife's favorite bourbon.

Haven't noticed the Bulleit 10 year on shelves in east Tennessee. Is it $46 most places, or just in the same stores around you that jack up the normal stuff to $30 - $35? If it is, is it worth it given the other options at that price point?

SapperDawg
06-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Retail at the AL ABC store is $46, so much more than that and you are being gouged...if you find it for $30 buy all you can get!

I think the only other high rye mash 10 year age statement whiskey you will get are the Smooth Ambler Old Scouts, most others are NAS (no age statement) blends.

My vote is yes, have one of these around for sipping and top shelf cocktailing.

SpeckleDawg
06-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Great stuff. Thanks for the analysis. Woodford is my go-to, so it looks like I need to give it a shot.