PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Baseball Injuries

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm looking back trying to make a little more sense of the sad 2015 season and trying to determine how much of an effect injuries actually had on the outcome. Assistance in compiling the list is requested since Cohen isn't much help. It's a slow Monday.

Collins:

Lost time - 19 games missed, injury obviously nagged him all season due to recent surgery.
Lost production - Hitting .248 in conference games with a bad hand is pretty impressive, but I think we were better defensively with Lovelady behind the dish.

Britton:

Lost time - About 20 games. He wasn't starting regularly, anyway.
Lost production - This one is hard to say, given his late season hot streak.

Smith:

Lost time - ? How much was he injured and how much was he just benched?
Lost production - A lot of people talked him up all season, but I never saw enough to make a case for him until late in the season. I think he has a chance to be a .300 hitter, though.

McCord:

Lost time - ?

Young:

Lost time?

Shelly:

Lost time - Entire Season

Cox:

Lost time - Entire Season

We lost 3 games when leading after 7 and lost 5 games when tied after 7, so as much as I would like to complain about 8th inning pitching, the lack of late clutch hitting hurt us just as much.

MsStateBaseball
06-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Collins and Smith would have given us offensive punch the whole year. Britton would have been great at both the last half of the season, he seemed to do better as seasons progressed. McCord would had started and given us quality starts down the stretch. We would have at least gone to SECT.

5 Star
06-22-2015, 04:45 PM
We lost 3 games when leading after 7 and lost 5 games when tied after 7, so as much as I would like to complain about 8th inning pitching, the lack of late clutch hitting hurt us just as much.
How can you attribute this to anything except late-game bullpen pitching?

I mean, I get that we could have scored some more runs here and there, but if you're looking for one thing that must improve that would lead to wins, it can't be anything other than relief pitching.

Saltydog
06-22-2015, 04:48 PM
nt

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2015, 04:54 PM
How can you attribute this to anything except late-game bullpen pitching?

I mean, I get that we could have scored some more runs here and there, but if you're looking for one thing that must improve that would lead to wins, it can't be anything other than relief pitching.

Umm...when you are tied, you need to actually score to have a chance to win. If you don't, you can't blame it relief pitching.

5 Star
06-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Umm...when you are tied, you need to actually score to have a chance to win. If you don't, you can't blame it relief pitching.
Sorry, I read your post wrong. But even still I think your stats aren't telling the whole story. We lost 6 games due to pitching in the 8th/9th innings, San Diego, Alabama (2), Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee. 5 of them could be considered meltdowns. Win those and we are 29-25 (12-18).

I'm not saying hitting couldn't improve. Look no further than Ark.-Pine Bluff and horrific 3 game streak of USM and Auburn. As far as close games go, split the Arkansas/Ole Miss close losses and add the fluke loss to LSU and we are are 31-24 (14-16) and in postseason contention. All I'm trying to do is illustrate the fine line, and a ball bounce either way can mean a W or L.

However, those 5 games I listed above.........those were all head-scratching meltdowns.

engie
06-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Hudson missed his freshman-to-soph summer. As did Humphreys. This set back each of their developments quite a bit and IMO you could argue each is basically a whole season behind.

MsStateBaseball
06-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Eng of course is correct

KB21
06-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Hudson missed his freshman-to-soph summer. As did Humphreys. This set back each of their developments quite a bit and IMO you could argue each is basically a whole season behind.

Yeah. I'll also add these numbers:

Player A Sophomore Season: .252/.328/.374, 230 AB, 16 2B, 4 HR, 51 SO, 21 BB
Player B Sophomore Season: .247/.328/.389, 162 AB, 8 2B, 5 HR, 34 SO, 15 BB

Player A is Hunter Renfroe. Player B is Reid Humphreys.

Hunter is a player that was behind on his development because of the level he played at in high school. He was clueless as a freshman and flashed as a sophomore before exploding as a junior. That raw ability was always there though. Reid was behind because he was limited with a shoulder injury during his senior year and had residual effects from that during his freshman campaign. This cost him his summer between his freshman and sophomore years when he had surgery to clean up his shoulder. The fact that he was selected to play in the Cape Cod League shows you what the scouts feel about him. They see the potential in him, and I see no reason why he shouldn't have a season similar to what his brother had during his junior year at Mississippi State. Moore's junior year at MSU was .299/.373/.559 with 14 HR and 11 2B in 204 AB.

I think the Jesse McCord injury could be a big blow. He's a first round talent that had an injury that is very difficult for a pitcher to return from.