PDA

View Full Version : JUCO players with 3 years of eligibility

5 Star
06-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Jacob Barfield, Luke Reynolds, Ryan Rigby, Logan Elliot, Daniel Brown, and others. Essentially we are signing these guys (or potentially signing) as JUCO freshmen. Any rhyme or reason to that? I don't see many football guys doing it. Is it because the baseball guys aren't limited by grades?

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2015, 09:51 AM
I think you have to "graduate" from JUCO to transfer after a year, but I could be wrong. There's probably more to it than that.

I'm not sure what to think about getting JUCO transfers as sophomores to be. If they blew up and had a great season, then it's a good thing to still have 3 years of eligibility. In most cases, though, I wonder why we didn't go after these guys out of HS if they were good enough.

maroonmania
06-22-2015, 10:00 AM
I think you have to "graduate" from JUCO to transfer after a year, but I could be wrong. There's probably more to it than that.

I'm not sure what to think about getting JUCO transfers as sophomores to be. If they blew up and had a great season, then it's a good thing to still have 3 years of eligibility. In most cases, though, I wonder why we didn't go after these guys out of HS if they were good enough.

I believe if you were qualified to go D1 out of HS but chose to go JUCO that you can transfer anytime you want.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-22-2015, 10:01 AM
If you were a full qualifier out of high school then you can transfer to a D1 school in football after 1yr & you don't have to graduate.

5 Star
06-22-2015, 10:39 AM
That is what I had guessed was happening. Most football guys go JUCO because they don't make the grades, while most baseball guys do it because that's the only offer they get.

I also wonder if there was a chance we could catch a talented guy here or there who went JUCO to get drafted early, but had bad luck with the draft. Might be pretty unsustainable.

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Aren't all JUCO transfers eligible for the draft immediately, regardless of class?

maroonmania
06-22-2015, 12:02 PM
If you were a full qualifier out of high school then you can transfer to a D1 school in football after 1yr & you don't have to graduate.

And I assume this is true for any sport.

engie
06-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Alot of quality guys in a little "different" circumstances take the JUCO route vs immediate offers at intermediate or middling programs. Often on the promise of reevaluation, spots coming open, etc...

Ifyouonlyknew
06-22-2015, 01:02 PM
And I assume this is true for any sport.

To the best of my knowledge it is.

5 Star
06-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Alot of quality guys in a little "different" circumstances take the JUCO route vs immediate offers at intermediate or middling programs. Often on the promise of reevaluation, spots coming open, etc...
I'm thinking the coaches may have found a great little niche there to exploit. Obviously you aren't going to land Bryce Harper out of JUCO but you can probably get above average talent.....and maybe very cheap. I'm not sure how secret it is though, I think Christian Trent was the same type.

State82
06-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Aren't all JUCO transfers eligible for the draft immediately, regardless of class?

I didn't think they were but not absolutely sure. If they transfer after a true freshman year and are not of age I think they have to stay in college.