PDA

View Full Version : I dislike,

dawgoneyall
06-20-2015, 10:20 PM
won't say hate, but dislike John Grisham.

Just don't understand how he has done what he did....even if McMahon was a total idiot.

engie
06-20-2015, 10:33 PM
What did he do exactly?

This has become a self-perpetuating myth...really always has been.

coastratdog
06-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Have u been to Mitchell library in the past 7 years or so? Just because he may or may not have given money to the baseball program doesn't mean he has not been generous to MSU.

5 Star
06-21-2015, 09:53 AM
That mistake was FAR from the biggest one MSU has ever made in regards to the baseball program. I can think of 2 bigger mistakes right off the top of my head - Polk 2 and lack of general admission seating.

Bully13
06-21-2015, 12:03 PM
won't say hate, but dislike John Grisham.

Just don't understand how he has done what he did....even if McMahon was a total idiot.

what did he do? are you talking about all the money he gave to UVA'S baseball program?

what I do know is that he loved MSU baseball for a long time. from internet chatter it is said that McMahon didn't want Grisham's son to walk on. Grisham's son found a home at UVA and from what I remember , became a productive starter for them.

Grisham ended up giving a butt load of money to UVA and has not forgiven us.

scottycameron
06-21-2015, 12:30 PM
whatever, who knows what the story was, but one thing is for sure, he was too good to live in Starkville. Which is fine. But Oxford? What was that.

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Seems like he wanted a preferred walkon spot guaranteed but McMahon said he would try out just like everyone else. He instead got a spot on UVA and did fairly well.

Maroonthirteen
06-21-2015, 01:10 PM
whatever, who knows what the story was, but one thing is for sure, he was too good to live in Starkville. Which is fine. But Oxford? What was that.

I got a sneaking suspicion famous Mississippians living in Oxford is greatly exaggerated. I know OM fans that say Eli Manning lives there too.

I find heard to believe anyone of their financial means would actually live there. ....and if they did...that would be idiotic.

BiscuitEater
06-21-2015, 01:34 PM

that he went to OM Law School .. right? Chose to live outside of Oxford for some privacy .. and the 'natives' and neighbors ran him out of town. Settled outside of Charlottesville VA .. nobody bothers him there.

scottycameron
06-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I got a sneaking suspicion famous Mississippians living in Oxford is greatly exaggerated. I know OM fans that say Eli Manning lives there too.

I find heard to believe anyone of their financial means would actually live there. ....and if they did...that would be idiotic.

consider him idiotic then, cause he damned sure lived there. I always liked the dude, but I never got that. Name some OM famous fans who choose to live in Starkville? That shit doesn't happen, if it ever did there would be a reason. It doesn't add up.

Maroonthirteen
06-21-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm sure he LIVED there....going to school there and all. Maybe sometime after....but he doesn't LIVE (present tense) there nor does Manning. But that is the lie that is repeated.

Also, I don't know what Starkville has to do with exaggerations of Oxford. State fans have always accepted Starkville for what it is and not told lies about who lives there... to soothe their insecurities.

Dawgcentral
06-21-2015, 05:33 PM
He did love there, but every time he came and went there were groupies hanging around the gates. Had to get away.

They ran Faulkner out of there too, since he was basically writing about them.

LibraryDawg
06-22-2015, 07:09 AM
I'm sure he LIVED there....going to school there and all. Maybe sometime after....but he doesn't LIVE (present tense) there nor does Manning. But that is the lie that is repeated.

Also, I don't know what Starkville has to do with exaggerations of Oxford. State fans have always accepted Starkville for what it is and not told lies about who lives there... to soothe their insecurities.

He still has a home there, it is staffed and all. Trust me.

Liverpooldawg
06-22-2015, 08:20 AM
This one needs to be forgotten. It happened a long time ago and is over and done with.

whosyourdawgy
06-22-2015, 08:35 AM
He also built a little Dudy Noble on his property in Oxford didn't he? So that's cool and should stick in every Rebel craw

maroonmania
06-22-2015, 08:41 AM
This one needs to be forgotten. It happened a long time ago and is over and done with.

Yes, it did happen a long time ago but let's not act like we aren't still feeling the repercussions today. Not only is UVA at the top of the baseball world due to our past coach's stupid actions but the stadium we are trying to build now I'm sure would already be fully funded without said actions.

Johnson85
06-22-2015, 09:17 AM
He still has a home there, it is staffed and all. Trust me.

??? Story was that he sold his home outside oxford (the yellow one with the baseball field). Did he buy another one or was it a sham transaction just so he could throw people off his scent?

LC Dawg
06-22-2015, 09:44 AM
I've heard this story over the years and I've always wondered something about it. Grisham had always been a Mississippi State baseball fan but he also supported Ole Miss in many ways due to his law school affiliation. If McMahon wouldn't give the kid a spot how come he didn't go to Ole Miss? Was Ole Miss even in the conversation or were Grisham and/or his kid not interested in the Rebels?

nsvltndog
06-22-2015, 09:56 AM
I remember being in Oxford on business in my first job after finishing MSU back in the summer of 1994. A buddy and I road tripped to Tunica that evening and blew a tire right in front of Grisham's house on the way back into Oxford around 1 AM. Nothing we could do about it but jack the car and change the tire, but I remember thinking that someone is probably sitting in there wondering who the hell else is out there trying to bother them. I hated the perceived intrusion whether he ever knew we were there or not.

I lived in Nashville for about 10 years afterwards and always loved the way that city dealt with the stars that lived there. Bottom line is they left them alone. You would see them at the mall, church, golf course, restaurants, etc and the culture was one in which people left them alone rather than harassing them. I'm sure there are corner cases, but most seemed to respect their privacy.

LibraryDawg
06-24-2015, 11:00 AM
??? Story was that he sold his home outside oxford (the yellow one with the baseball field). Did he buy another one or was it a sham transaction just so he could throw people off his scent?

He still owned a house in Oxford as of last August. But just as I posted that on Monday, I found out this morning that he gave the house to OM for their visiting author (I believe it's called the Faulkner chair) to live in every year.