PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Women's World Cup Thread

TheRef
06-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Here we go in the knockout round.

We have already had one match go today, which was #1 Germany v #5 Sweden.

While we haven't seen one team really pull itself away from the pack during group stage, Germany made their presence known with a 4-1 drubbing of Sweden to advance to the Quarterfinals.

Next, China will face Cameroon on Fox Sports 1. Cameroon is only the second African team to reach the knockout round in Women's World Cup History. This game is important for us to watch as the winner of the USA/Colombia game will face the winner of the China/Cameroon game.

Also, Germany has now made the Quarterfinals in all 7 years of the current format. USA can join them Monday with a win against Colombia.

TheRef
06-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Very nice first goal by China off of the corner kick. 1-0 China 12'

TheRef
06-20-2015, 08:24 PM
FT: China 1 - 0 Cameroon

China advances to the Quarterfinals to face off against either USA or Colombia.

TheRef
06-21-2015, 01:48 PM
FT: Australia 1 - 0 Brazil

Amazing win by the Aussies as they absolutely stunned the Brazilians today.

TheRef
06-21-2015, 09:17 PM
FT: France 3 - 0 South Korea

FT: Canada 1 - 0 Switzerland

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Either France is really strong or South Korea is really bad. Good result for us with Australia winning. Not sure how I feel about Canada over Switzerland just yet. Probably good for us, but Canada having home country advantage is big. Overall, I think we're in pretty good shape if Morgan is full go and we can figure out the best way to use Wambach, i.e. if she can accept be relegated to coming off the bench.

TheRef
06-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Either France is really strong or South Korea is really bad. Good result for us with Australia winning. Not sure how I feel about Canada over Switzerland just yet. Probably good for us, but Canada having home country advantage is big. Overall, I think we're in pretty good shape if Morgan is full go and we can figure out the best way to use Wambach, i.e. if she can accept be relegated to coming off the bench.

France is very disciplined on the offensive end and South Korea didn't adapt to France's play. That's why France was able to score so much.

Canada's victory over Switzerland was impressive, but Switzerland had plenty of chances on goal. Canada's keeper is REALLY good at what she does. They will face either Norway or England next.

USA should have an easy win over Colombia, but that doesn't mean we can take Colombia lightly. They did defeat France 2-0 in group stage, which was the biggest upset in Women's World Cup history.

TheRef
06-22-2015, 06:18 PM
FT: England 2 - 1 Norway

Norway scored the first goal in the second half, then England responded quickly with their goal, then about 10 minutes later scored their goal to take the lead.

England goes on to face Canada

USA plays Colombia NEXT

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Can't wait. Already got FS1 going in the background.

ETA: Wambach starting. Ugh. We're better with Laroux starting and Wambach off the bench.

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2015, 07:10 PM
Offsides negates an early US goal from Wambach. Colombia is sloppy so far. Trying too hard to keep up with us. I don't see them hanging around long if this keeps up.

TheRef
06-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Offsides negates an early US goal from Wambach. Colombia is sloppy so far. Trying too hard to keep up with us. I don't see them hanging around long if this keeps up.

USA is known for playing VERY physical. So if we can keep bumping and grinding, we'll get a victory out of this.

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Bullshit yellow card on Holliday. And now she has to sit in the round of 8 game. Foul? Absolutely. Yellow Card? Hell no.

TheRef
06-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Colombia flopping like fishes out there. Really funny to watch.

mstatefan91
06-22-2015, 07:43 PM
It's not funny because now we've lost two players for the next match due to that shit and the ref buying it

TheRef
06-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Easily one of the worst officiated matches I've seen in a LONG TIME. Two yellows that should not have been yellows.

mstate68
06-22-2015, 07:51 PM
These have been garbage refs. Hopefully it won't carry over and cost us the next match

TheRef
06-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Well...besides the referee trouble (have I said before that she's horrible?), Colombia is controlling the pace of the game. We need to pick up the pace and try to just keep the ball in the offensive zone.

TheRef
06-22-2015, 07:53 PM
These have been garbage refs. Hopefully it won't carry over and cost us the next match

Already cost us two players.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Damn it Abby, how could she push that with a cold goalie coming in?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-22-2015, 08:09 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheRef
06-22-2015, 08:52 PM
FT: United States 2 - 0 Colombia

The US will play China on Friday in Ottawa. That game will be broadcast on FOX

mstatefan91
06-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Was anybody else thoroughly disgusted with Columbia's strategy, the refs, and the commentators need to validate Columbia while tearing down our own team?

Now I'm not saying we played a good game because we didn't but the whole thing was disgusting.

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Easily one of the worst officiated matches I've seen in a LONG TIME. Two yellows that should not have been yellows.

Dunno if you watched group play, but 2 of those 3 matches were horribly officiated too. Starting to think that women's officials just suck in general. Worst part is it could cost us the QF match.

War Machine Dawg
06-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Damn it Abby, how could she push that with a cold goalie coming in?

Because she's past her prime and needs to be coming off the bench. Number one penalty option should be Lloyd, number two Morgan. Wambach should be third at absolute best. Our lineups and strategy have been terrible so far. We better get our shit together in a big hurry.

Charlie_Sheen420
06-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Because she's past her prime and needs to be coming off the bench. Number one penalty option should be Lloyd, number two Morgan. Wambach should be third at absolute best. Our lineups and strategy have been terrible so far. We better get our shit together in a big hurry.

Agreed 100%. She can only play 30 mins, and then she looks gassed and doesn't hustle anymore. Her starting is the main problem with the offense, and it's been that way all four games. I don't know why Leroux and Morgan are not starting together if they are going to play in the 4-4-2. If they are going to start Wambach they need to play 4-3-3, but it still wouldn't help much with the way she is playing currently. She needs to be a 2nd half sub. The next game could get scary without Rapinoe, since she's basically been like the Michael Bradley of the women's team setting up chances. Thankfully the back four and Solo have been like an iron curtain, and hopefully that continues.

TheRef
06-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Dunno if you watched group play, but 2 of those 3 matches were horribly officiated too. Starting to think that women's officials just suck in general. Worst part is it could cost us the QF match.

I've watched all the group stage games and there were some REALLY good referees. One of the referees is actually a former player who played in the 2003 World Cup. She actually called the best game I've seen, and I hope we get to have her as a referee.

DudyDawg
06-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Abby isn't the problem, lack of creativity is. Too much of the same attack over and over. No overlapping runs from fullbacks. We rarely put together short combination play in the midfield. Colombia was better at it than we were with 11 players. We should play a 4-3-3 with Abby flanked by Morgan and Press/Leroux(sp?). That will let wambach do what a big striker should and hold up balls to play to our wingers with pace in behind. If we don't go to 4-3-3, we need someone in the midfield to step up and start combining and creating. We play too stagnant for long periods.

TheRef
06-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Abby isn't the problem, lack of creativity is. Too much of the same attack over and over. No overlapping runs from fullbacks. We rarely put together short combination play in the midfield. Colombia was better at it than we were with 11 players. We should play a 4-3-3 with Abby flanked by Morgan and Press/Leroux(sp?). That will let wambach do what a big striker should and hold up balls to play to our wingers with pace in behind. If we don't go to 4-3-3, we need someone in the midfield to step up and start combining and creating. We play too stagnant for long periods.

Do you think we'll switch to a 4-3-3 with Holliday and Rapinoe out this match?

DudyDawg
06-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Do you think we'll switch to a 4-3-3 with Holliday and Rapinoe out this match?

I think we absolutely should. This coach has been getting lots of heat about our play so I hope she agrees with pretty much everyone saying that's what we need. We will see. Mainly I think we should to improve our 1-2 touch passing and free up a little space behind. China is one of those teams that probably won't screw up, so we need to be good in possession and create a little more space to use our athleticism.

TheRef
06-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Of course, Japan v Netherlands is on Fox Sports 2 of all channels.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Interesting post. I don't know a ton about soccer, but I am glued to the WC....that being said, I was wondering why we seem to try and do the same attack over and over, and why our attack was so "meh". You just explained it, but I'll admit it didn't all make sense to me. It worries me to have Rapinoe out, bc she seems to be our primary source of offense. Our coaching seems lacking this go round.

Intramural All-American
06-23-2015, 08:33 PM

I think we definitely need Abby starting against China. Her size will be a big asset against the smaller Asians. Typically I would want a second half sub who is fast and energized (press or leroux) when the opposing defense is worn down. I don't think Abby would have as much effect as a late sub.

Dawg61
06-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Sydney Leroux needs to start playing in a bikini or taking her shirt off after every single goal. Regardless of team. JS. She is ****ing SMOKING!!

http://gamedayr.com/lifestyle/wags-and-babes/sydney-leroux-bikini-picture-hot-126353/

mstatefan91
06-23-2015, 09:26 PM
nvm

War Machine Dawg
06-24-2015, 12:50 AM
Sydney Leroux needs to start playing in a bikini or taking her shirt off after every single goal. Regardless of team. JS. She is ****ing SMOKING!!

http://gamedayr.com/lifestyle/wags-and-babes/sydney-leroux-bikini-picture-hot-126353/

We've got several "talented" players on the team. Alex Morgan and Julie Johnston are hot as hell, too.

DudyDawg
06-24-2015, 09:25 AM
I think we definitely need Abby starting against China. Her size will be a big asset against the smaller Asians. Typically I would want a second half sub who is fast and energized (press or leroux) when the opposing defense is worn down. I don't think Abby would have as much effect as a late sub.

I agree 100%. Her physicality will be effective for 65 ish minutes, and a sub like press/Leroux (hopefully one starts) will put pressure on those worn down defenders

DudyDawg
06-24-2015, 12:31 PM
You just explained it, but I'll admit it didn't all make sense to me.

Anything specific? I can try to explain more if you want

blacklistedbully
06-24-2015, 07:11 PM

HO LEE SHEEIT!

TheRef
06-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Semifinal 1: USA (#2 FIFA World Ranking) v Germany (#1 FIFA World Ranking)

Semifinal 2: Japan (#4 FIFA World Ranking) v England (#6 FIFA World Ranking) or Canada (#8 FIFA World Ranking)

TheRef
06-27-2015, 07:19 PM
HT: England 2 - 1 Canada

Canada takes the momentum heading into the half. Should be interesting to see how this game ends up being. Game is on Fox Sports 1

TheRef
06-27-2015, 10:18 PM
FT: England 2 - 1 Canada.

First time England has made the WWC semifinals.

USA v Germany is Tuesday and Japan v England is Wednesday.