PDA

View Full Version : Baseball roster changes

bulldogcountry1
06-20-2015, 03:45 PM
It's long past the typical time that we hear about players transferring out, but I haven't seen anything apart from Brown going to med school. It's even more odd considering the season and the number of new signees coming in. I guess our crack beat reporters are afraid to ask Cohen because he surely isn't going to volunteer such information.

Did he ever even confirm that Stover and Young had left?

MsStateBaseball
06-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Bc Cohen is sooooo secretive he will not say this. He might say it in Sept or Oct. If Gene interviews him before school, he might say something to this effect but I doubt it. When he said, we will have to wait until after the draft, this means, scholarships are going to true freshman first, the ones that are coming to college and not the draft. If some is left over then Spruill, etc will have a spot. Thats why he didn't say anything. But again, he's not going to come out and say it somebody will have to ask him.

Again, LSU in late July will release their 2016 roster and schedule. We have to wait until fall ball for the initial roster and late January for the schedule. I HATE THIS.

maroonmania
06-20-2015, 04:02 PM
If Barfield is actually coming in as a 2016 player I'll be surprised if Spruill is back regardless of anything else that might happen.

Smitty
06-20-2015, 04:42 PM
If Barfield is actually coming in as a 2016 player I'll be surprised if Spruill is back regardless of anything else that might happen.

But Spruill hit cleanup some this year**

Todd4State
06-20-2015, 05:01 PM

As I said a week or so ago, third base is our biggest need. Barfield helps fill that need whatever class he is in. I hope he is in this class so we can not have to worry about the MLB draft with him.

Todd4State
06-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Cohen is going to give our players a legit chance to make the team- and most will cut themselves.

5 Star
06-20-2015, 07:46 PM
As I said a week or so ago, third base is our biggest need. Barfield helps fill that need whatever class he is in. I hope he is in this class so we can not have to worry about the MLB draft with him.
You must really hate Luke Reynolds. 3B is not a 'need' until 2018 (2017 if Reynolds has a huge year and gets drafted). Plus we have a couple of freshmen that could step in at 3B in case of an injury. This is like the 4th time I've see you say this.

I've also seen you say that Austin Riley would have started immediately at 3B. I disagree with that too. I think he would have changed positions.

You need to give up the idea that we are going to have a big hulking power hitter at 3B. You just don't see that anymore in college.

Saltydog
06-20-2015, 09:27 PM
nt

Todd4State
06-20-2015, 10:50 PM
You must really hate Luke Reynolds. 3B is not a 'need' until 2018 (2017 if Reynolds has a huge year and gets drafted). Plus we have a couple of freshmen that could step in at 3B in case of an injury. This is like the 4th time I've see you say this.

I've also seen you say that Austin Riley would have started immediately at 3B. I disagree with that too. I think he would have changed positions.

You need to give up the idea that we are going to have a big hulking power hitter at 3B. You just don't see that anymore in college.

I have questions about Reynolds defense and MAJOR questions about our depth at third base. If Riley had come to school, Reynolds would have DH- and what if Reynolds gets hurt? Spruill. Exactly.

What freshmen do we have that can play third base? Do you really want Delvin Zinn at 5'10" who is Demarcus Henderson 2.0 there? Hunter Stovall at 5'9" who projects better at second base?

Cohen apparently agrees with me or he wouldn't have gone after Barfield.

I don't see why we can't get a power hitter at 3B. We have Will Brooks committed right now- he is 6'1" at least. We can find a Rooker/Cole Gordon type of hitter that can play third base out there that wants to play SEC ball.

5 Star
06-21-2015, 12:07 AM
I have questions about Reynolds defense and MAJOR questions about our depth at third base. If Riley had come to school, Reynolds would have DH- and what if Reynolds gets hurt? Spruill. Exactly.

What freshmen do we have that can play third base? Do you really want Delvin Zinn at 5'10" who is Demarcus Henderson 2.0 there? Hunter Stovall at 5'9" who projects better at second base?

Cohen apparently agrees with me or he wouldn't have gone after Barfield.

I don't see why we can't get a power hitter at 3B. We have Will Brooks committed right now- he is 6'1" at least. We can find a Rooker/Cole Gordon type of hitter that can play third base out there that wants to play SEC ball.
Cohen oversigns the JUCOs, I disagree with his strategy there. I see no need for 4 third basemen.

As for the rest, whatever man. It's all conjecture. By the way, Henderson played some 3B for us in 2012. Not that it matters, but yes, Stovall could play it too. Either way, Reynolds is the 3B guy until he graduates or gets drafted, and I'll glad he is. He's very good defensively.

5 Star
06-21-2015, 12:09 AM
He's a weakness at 3B. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move now that Orvis is gone. Bianco always has done this though, he had Preston Overbey out at 2B last year and he was plumb horrible in the field. Guess he thinks pitching/offense can overcome it, I disagree with the strategy overall and so do most coaches nowadays, like I said before.

Todd4State
06-21-2015, 12:18 AM
Cohen oversigns the JUCOs, I disagree with his strategy there. I see no need for 4 third basemen.

As for the rest, whatever man. It's all conjecture. By the way, Henderson played some 3B for us in 2012. Not that it matters, but yes, Stovall could play it too. Either way, Reynolds is the 3B guy until he graduates or gets drafted, and I'll glad he is. He's very good defensively.

When he signed more JUCO's than HS guys last year- yes I agree. If Barfield is in this class, he's only the third one- Tanner Poole is a walk-on. And if that's the case, Barfield has three years left to play. I'd certainly prefer a HS guy almost every time.

If Reynolds is so good at third base, he should have been able to supplant Seth Heck who was not very good there defensively. Reynolds fielding percentage was .846 this past year- which is awful.

And I am aware that Demarcus played some third base for us- and they moved him to the OF where he belonged. Doesn't mean that we should stick Zinn then and be patient until year four for the light to maybe come on. And yes Stovall "could" play there- but he fits much better at second base.

Coach34
06-21-2015, 05:36 PM
LSU signed juco heavy this year

shoeless joe
06-21-2015, 05:47 PM
When he signed more JUCO's than HS guys last year- yes I agree. If Barfield is in this class, he's only the third one- Tanner Poole is a walk-on. And if that's the case, Barfield has three years left to play. I'd certainly prefer a HS guy almost every time.

If Reynolds is so good at third base, he should have been able to supplant Seth Heck who was not very good there defensively. Reynolds fielding percentage was .846 this past year- which is awful.

And I am aware that Demarcus played some third base for us- and they moved him to the OF where he belonged. Doesn't mean that we should stick Zinn then and be patient until year four for the light to maybe come on. And yes Stovall "could" play there- but he fits much better at second base.

I don't expect much/anything from zinn for at least 2-3 years...if ever.

But I agree with the majority of your points in this thread.

War Machine Dawg
06-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Bc Cohen is sooooo secretive he will not say this. He might say it in Sept or Oct. If Gene interviews him before school, he might say something to this effect but I doubt it. When he said, we will have to wait until after the draft, this means, scholarships are going to true freshman first, the ones that are coming to college and not the draft. If some is left over then Spruill, etc will have a spot. Thats why he didn't say anything. But again, he's not going to come out and say it somebody will have to ask him.

Again, LSU in late July will release their 2016 roster and schedule. We have to wait until fall ball for the initial roster and late January for the schedule. I HATE THIS.

You're a blogger. Don't you have the balls to ask him these questions?

5 Star
06-21-2015, 07:05 PM
A few reasons.

1 - Reynolds was not very good early (but earned early PT due to showing his talent in the fall/preseason), as most JUCOs tend to be their first year
2 - Heck was a returning starter and senior, and contrary to your opinion I thought he held his own at 3B, and he was hitting well early (and Gridley showed up at SS)
3 - Britton came on at the end and started the last couple of series at 3B

We can debate depth forever. I'll make a net-bet though......Reynolds will be our opening day 3B, and he will also end the year there. Take?

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2015, 07:15 PM
You're a blogger. Don't you have the balls to ask him these questions?

Already asked, I am not considered media. I've got huge ones.

Todd4State
06-21-2015, 07:28 PM
A few reasons.

1 - Reynolds was not very good early (but earned early PT due to showing his talent in the fall/preseason), as most JUCOs tend to be their first year
2 - Heck was a returning starter and senior, and contrary to your opinion I thought he held his own at 3B, and he was hitting well early (and Gridley showed up at SS)
3 - Britton came on at the end and started the last couple of series at 3B

We can debate depth forever. I'll make a net-bet though......Reynolds will be our opening day 3B, and he will also end the year there. Take?

Heck had a SLOW first step at third base. He was really bad- although he was out of position. Gridley was better at SS than Heck and doesn't profile at third base at all. Britton would have started had he not been hurt the entire year. As bad as we were defensively when Britton was out and as well as Reynolds was hitting in the meantime and STILL not get a second chance says a lot.

I'm not taking that bet because I do think at this time that Reynolds will start and we don't know if Barfield will come or not officially yet- but the bottom line is Reynolds HAS to improve defensively for us to not have a liability there. If Barfield is healthy and is better defensively, it's a no brainer. Barfield at third and Reynolds to DH.

War Machine Dawg
06-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Already asked, I am not considered media. I've got huge ones.

Props for asking. You've got more guts than most of our real media, apparently.

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Props for asking. You've got more guts than most of our real media, apparently.

I would sit down with and ask questions to Cohen. I've got 10,500 followers. I'm going to wait until September and I will try again.

Homedawg
06-21-2015, 10:17 PM
I would sit down with and ask questions to Cohen. I've got 10,500 followers. I'm going to wait until September and I will try again.

Honestly, do you think he gives a shit how many followers you have? And if the answer is yes, you've lost your mind.

missouridawg
06-21-2015, 10:43 PM

I bet my vcash would mean more to Cohen than your follower count.