PDA

View Full Version : New Juco Baseball player

RBritt
06-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Jacob Barfield. His uncle played in the pros. Wharton Community College outside of Houston. Plays left field, 1St, and, 3rd. Anybody know of this?

SouthMsDawg
06-19-2015, 05:38 PM
http://njcaaregion14.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/players/jacobbarfieldcby5

Got good stats. 11 HRs

Really Clark?
06-19-2015, 05:51 PM
https://vimeo.com/97483831

http://youtu.be/HS308D4R0o0

The first is a long clip but pretty cool. Raw power

Eta. I guess it didn't show up. Maybe this link will work.

http://www.power-showcase.com/2014-power-showcase-8th-annual-2/8th-annual-line-up/texas-jacob-barfield

Jacksondevildog
06-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Enough of the long ball. How does he bunt?

Thrill1
06-19-2015, 06:18 PM
His uncle would be former Blue Jay Jesse Barfield, who was a heck of a player. Hence the #29.

Todd4State
06-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Enough of the long ball. How does he bunt?

Weird. I was told today that Cohen doesn't want anyone that can hit doubles or home runs.

Todd4State
06-19-2015, 06:40 PM
His uncle would be former Blue Jay Jesse Barfield, who was a heck of a player. Hence the #29.

His uncle also had a rifle for an outfield arm and led MLB in home runs in 1986.

Todd4State
06-19-2015, 06:41 PM
My question is what class does he fall into? He just finished his freshman year, so he has three years of eligibility left- and I would much rather him come to school now. Kind of weird that he had to go to JUCO in the first place.

SouthMsDawg
06-19-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm guessing he will be here in August similar to Luke Reynolds last year.

I seen it dawg
06-19-2015, 07:27 PM
He will sit in Michael Smiths spot in the dugout probably. He hits too much.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-19-2015, 08:36 PM
Weird. I was told today that Cohen doesn't want anyone that can hit doubles or home runs.

That's pretty evident by his uncanny ability to make everyone a slap hitter.

Tripp McNeely
06-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Is he a 2016 kid?

KB21
06-20-2015, 08:59 AM
That's pretty evident by his uncanny ability to make everyone a slap hitter.

Like he did with Hunter Renfroe? Or Ryan Strieby, Collin Cowgill, John Shelby, Sawyer Carroll, Sean Coughlin.....etc

Jacksondevildog
06-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Can anyone clarify if he's coming for this upcoming baseball season?

KB21
06-20-2015, 10:01 AM
His primary position is third. He may be Riley's replacement in the class. He has a quick bat with some pop. He was a participant in the international power showcase when he was 17.

Tbonewannabe
06-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Hopefully he comes in with some pop in his bat. How does him and Lowe factor in next year?

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Like he did with Hunter Renfroe? Or Ryan Strieby, Collin Cowgill, John Shelby, Sawyer Carroll, Sean Coughlin.....etc
So you've given me one player that's actually hit for good power for 1 season in the 7 seasons that Cohen has been here and I'm supposed to consider him the norm and not the exception?

maroonmania
06-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Doesn't sound like Cohen is too worried about having enough roster spots if he's still adding players. With that said if he's a good power hitting 3rd baseman then I'm glad to have him.

MsStateBaseball
06-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Can someone confirm this guy is coming in?

Todd4State
06-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Doesn't sound like Cohen is too worried about having enough roster spots if he's still adding players. With that said if he's a good power hitting 3rd baseman then I'm glad to have him.

We have a HUGE hole at third base and we lost our top two power prospects in the draft. Cohen will work the roster out. I'd rather have guys like Barfield come in rather than keep around guys that suck waiting on them to graduate.

KB21
06-20-2015, 05:31 PM
So you've given me one player that's actually hit for good power for 1 season in the 7 seasons that Cohen has been here and I'm supposed to consider him the norm and not the exception?

He is the only player the team has had that had legitimate power outside of Connor Powers

maroonmania
06-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Can someone confirm this guy is coming in?

Good question, before we jump the gun too much on this we need find out if this is truly a new player coming in. No official indication of it that I can find.

MsStateBaseball
06-20-2015, 07:01 PM
I have looked and looked and don't see anything that he has committed or signed.

Todd4State
06-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Here's the deal- apparently he is visiting this week, so he's not officially in the class yet- but if he decides to come on board, he will be in our current class with three years of eligibility left. Apparently he broke his hamate bone and played only about 60% of the season- and put up those numbers.

This guy could be a steal.

Jacksondevildog
06-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanks Todd Swindoll. Ha!
Here's the deal- apparently he is visiting this week, so he's not officially in the class yet- but if he decides to come on board, he will be in our current class with three years of eligibility left. Apparently he broke his hamate bone and played only about 60% of the season- and put up those numbers.

This guy could be a steal.

Todd4State
06-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks Todd Swindoll. Ha!

I've been outed.

And at least I won't charge for the information.

Tripp McNeely
06-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Any word on this guy yet?

5 Star
06-22-2015, 09:30 AM
We have a HUGE hole at third base and we lost our top two power prospects in the draft. Cohen will work the roster out. I'd rather have guys like Barfield come in rather than keep around guys that suck waiting on them to graduate.
Not going to give it up are you?

Buddy
06-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Any word on this guy yet?

Robbie says he has been offered a preferred walkon spot.

Tripp McNeely
06-22-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm assuming he's mulling over the offer?

ScottH
06-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Robbie says he has been offered a preferred walkon spot.

Remember that doesn't mean no aid.

It just means no baseball aid.

We have become adept at piecing together all types of aid.

engie
06-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Remember that doesn't mean no aid.

It just means no baseball aid.

We have become adept at piecing together all types of aid.

Exactly.

I don't like Robbie making the distinction. I don't feel like that information should be out there. "Offered" would have sufficed and still been true. Count me as one that greatly prefers Cohen's method of dealing with "scholarships" up until this point...

MsStateBaseball
06-22-2015, 03:13 PM
He was visiting today. If he passed the eye test. If he has no other options. He will be here.

engie
06-22-2015, 03:15 PM
He still has a free ride in JUCO that he can return to...

maroonmania
06-22-2015, 03:43 PM
He was visiting today. If he passed the eye test. If he has no other options. He will be here.

Would be hard for me to believe that a guy batting .400 with double digit HRs in the JUCO ranks wouldn't have several D1 options unless the JUCO league he was in was abysmal. Now he did miss 17 of the his last 18 games this past season due to injury so that may have an impact.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Would be hard for me to believe that a guy batting .400 with double digit HRs in the JUCO ranks wouldn't have several D1 options unless the JUCO league he was in was abysmal. Now he did miss 17 of the his last 18 games this past season due to injury so that may have an impact.

His broken hand is why. He was on pace to best Nate Lowe in home runs before the injury. I'll be shocked if he doesn't pass the eye test- it's all up to Barfield at this point.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Not going to give it up are you?

Guess what? Your boy Reynolds is going to graduate in two more seasons. Who is the third baseman at that point? THAT is why I am saying that we have a HUGE hole at third base- and it's why Cohen is going out to get this guy. It's not about next year as much as it is about 2018- that's what you have to look at with recruiting classes in baseball.

But I'm not the one saying that Reynolds would beat out a guy that the Braves drafted in the first round either. You must be his Dad or girlfriend because you lack total gravity of the situation at hand and Reynold's overall ability.

And no I don't hate Reynolds- I just want him to DH.

5 Star
06-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Guess what? Your boy Reynolds is going to graduate in two more seasons. Who is the third baseman at that point? THAT is why I am saying that we have a HUGE hole at third base- and it's why Cohen is going out to get this guy. It's not about next year as much as it is about 2018- that's what you have to look at with recruiting classes in baseball.

But I'm not the one saying that Reynolds would beat out a guy that the Braves drafted in the first round either. You must be his Dad or girlfriend because you lack total gravity of the situation at hand and Reynold's overall ability.

And no I don't hate Reynolds- I just want him to DH.
You're talking about 2-3 seasons into the future now, but you were talking about 2016 yesterday:

I have questions about Reynolds defense and MAJOR questions about our depth at third base. If Riley had come to school, Reynolds would have DH- and what if Reynolds gets hurt? Spruill. Exactly.

What freshmen do we have that can play third base? Do you really want Delvin Zinn at 5'10" who is Demarcus Henderson 2.0 there? Hunter Stovall at 5'9" who projects better at second base?

Cohen apparently agrees with me or he wouldn't have gone after Barfield.

I don't see why we can't get a power hitter at 3B. We have Will Brooks committed right now- he is 6'1" at least. We can find a Rooker/Cole Gordon type of hitter that can play third base out there that wants to play SEC ball.
Which one are you actually concerned about? In the case of the future, we've got 2 more recruiting class, and 2 years of development of the current players, to find a 3B.

I hope Barfield comes in and beats Reynolds out, that will mean he's an elite player. I just don't expect it.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 05:42 PM
You're talking about 2-3 seasons into the future now, but you were talking about 2016 yesterday:

Which one are you actually concerned about? In the case of the future, we've got 2 more recruiting class, and 2 years of development of the current players, to find a 3B.

I hope Barfield comes in and beats Reynolds out, that will mean he's an elite player. I just don't expect it.

I'm concerned about both depth AND the future.

Objectively speaking, Riley is a better third baseman than Reynolds. Reynolds is also better than Spruill. Thus, losing Riley was a HUGE blow for us.

As it is, if Reynolds goes down, we are down to either Spruill or a freshman playing out of position, which is a worse situation than Riley going down and then having Reynolds.

This really isn't that hard to figure out even for a novice baseball fan. And it's really not so much about me "not liking" Luke Reynolds at all as much as it is about us not getting into another situation where we have Detz/Sam Frost at third situation again.

I do think that Will Brooks will be the third baseman once Reynolds and/or Barfield leave- but then we have a sophomore at third base and I would much rather have as many juniors and seniors as possible.

Again, your comments on Reynolds tell me that you can't be objective when it comes to him as a player for whatever reason that may be.

Tbonewannabe
06-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Any chance Luke Alexander plays 3rd or Gridley moves over to 3rd?

5 Star
06-22-2015, 06:10 PM
I'm concerned about both depth AND the future.
Well then stop worrying. I've already told you that the future isn't worth worrying about, at this point. And I've shown you that we have a capable 3B in Reynolds. We have a number of players that could develop into a backup. Spruill will also be a year older. Not bad for simply depth. If worst comes to worst, Collins and Humphreys can play 3B but we won't get to that point hopefully.

Objectively speaking, Riley is a better third baseman than Reynolds. Reynolds is also better than Spruill. Thus, losing Riley was a HUGE blow for us.

As it is, if Reynolds goes down, we are down to either Spruill or a freshman playing out of position, which is a worse situation than Riley going down and then having Reynolds.
What are you trying to argue, that it sucked losing Riley or that we have a "HUGE" hole at 3B? I don't think any MSU fan out there doesn't want a 1st rounder on campus. My issue is that you say we have a "HUGE" hole at 3B when we don't.

This really isn't that hard to figure out even for a novice baseball fan. And it's really not so much about me "not liking" Luke Reynolds at all as much as it is about us not getting into another situation where we have Detz/Sam Frost at third situation again.
Let's keep the discussion on track rather than on whether or not I'm a novice baseball fan according to you. By the way, Detz and Frost almost won a national championship.

Again, your comments on Reynolds tell me that you can't be objective when it comes to him as a player for whatever reason that may be.
I have zero reason to pump up Reynolds except for the fact that he hit well down the stretch and performed very well at 3B during the offseason. I think that defensive ability will show.

The facts say that YOU have more of a baseless preconceived bias towards Reynolds, not me.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Well then stop worrying. I've already told you that the future isn't worth worrying about, at this point. And I've shown you that we have a capable 3B in Reynolds. We have a number of players that could develop into a backup. Spruill will also be a year older. Not bad for simply depth. If worst comes to worst, Collins and Humphreys can play 3B but we won't get to that point hopefully. Not really. You showed me that we had a third baseman with a fielding percentage of below .900 and are just assuming that is nothing to worry about at all because of experience- and are then trying to call me out for saying that it's at the very least a concern. That's essentially the same thing as someone not being concerned about Deontay Evans because of experience as well- even though there is no data to support your argument and the available data suggests otherwise.

What are you trying to argue, that it sucked losing Riley or that we have a "HUGE" hole at 3B? I don't think any MSU fan out there doesn't want a 1st rounder on campus. My issue is that you say we have a "HUGE" hole at 3B when we don't. Three years from now, yes- there would be a huge hole. Which is why Cohen is taking steps to correct that now. If we didn't have an issue, why even bother going after Barfield at this point? That's a question you still haven't answered.

Let's keep the discussion on track rather than on whether or not I'm a novice baseball fan according to you. By the way, Detz and Frost almost won a national championship. Frank Davis and John Scott also almost won one for us in 1985. That doesn't mean that we should strive for that caliber of player at that position.

I have zero reason to pump up Reynolds except for the fact that he hit well down the stretch and performed very well at 3B during the offseason. I think that defensive ability will show. And that's why I want him at DH.

The facts say that YOU have more of a baseless preconceived bias towards Reynolds, not meWatching him play in person, stats backing up what I saw, Cohen not playing Reynolds at third even when he was hitting well and other "baseless preconceived bias"...

Like I said- I don't think you are capable of being objective on this issue for whatever reason. Which was very evident when you claimed that Reynolds would force Austin Riley to switch positions.

I don't think you are a bad baseball fan- but I think you have some sort of personal connection with Reynolds that is clouding your judgment and it's making you look bad.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-22-2015, 07:45 PM
@coach_robbs7: Congrats to our first commit/signee at WCJC, Jacob Barfield.. committed to @HailStateBB today. Have a vision and be proud of it boys!

RBritt
06-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Lookie here! Ifyouonlyknew if I knew basketball like you I'd be a prophet.

MSUDawg99
06-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Nm

5 Star
06-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Like I said- I don't think you are capable of being objective on this issue for whatever reason. Which was very evident when you claimed that Reynolds would force Austin Riley to switch positions.

I don't think you are a bad baseball fan- but I think you have some sort of personal connection with Reynolds that is clouding your judgment and it's making you look bad.
You can fight reason with reason, but how can you fight the unreasonable?

I've disputed every one of your points. You are inconsistent, and just plain ignored what I said and frankly just made stuff up out of thin air (example: Reynolds forcing Riley to change positions - that was never said). I'll let you have the last word.

Smitty
06-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Hahahahahaha Todd and his small sample sizes.

Reynolds had just 2 errors in 13 chances. Odds are that's just a dose of bad timing. You really take that and correlate it out to a true estimate of his fielding ability? You really think a hitter that goes 1/8 the first two games is a .125 hitter.

Of course you think there's no luck factor anywhere in baseball, lol. And "we'd make a regional without Ross"...

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:00 PM
You can fight reason with reason, but how can you fight the unreasonable?

I've disputed every one of your points. You are inconsistent, and just plain ignored what I said and frankly just made stuff up out of thin air (example: Reynolds forcing Riley to change positions - that was never said). I'll let you have the last word.

Did you not say that "in my opinion Reynolds would have forced Riley to change positions in another thread"?

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Hahahahahaha Todd and his small sample sizes.

Reynolds had just 2 errors in 13 chances. Odds are that's just a dose of bad timing. You really take that and correlate it out to a true estimate of his fielding ability? You really think a hitter that goes 1/8 the first two games is a .125 hitter.

Of course you think there's no luck factor anywhere in baseball, lol. And "we'd make a regional without Ross"...

Smart baseball people don't need a large sample size.

Smitty
06-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Smart baseball people don't need a large sample size.

So a 30 game season as opposed to 162 would produce the same exact playoff teams?

5 Star
06-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Did you not say that "in my opinion Reynolds would have forced Riley to change positions in another thread"?

You must really hate Luke Reynolds. 3B is not a 'need' until 2018 (2017 if Reynolds has a huge year and gets drafted). Plus we have a couple of freshmen that could step in at 3B in case of an injury. This is like the 4th time I've see you say this.

I've also seen you say that Austin Riley would have started immediately at 3B. I disagree with that too. I think he would have changed positions.

You need to give up the idea that we are going to have a big hulking power hitter at 3B. You just don't see that anymore in college.
It's past your bedtime, my bru.

engie
06-22-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm sick of every baseball thread devolving into this same bullshit. We just got a commitment from what could end up being a very good power hitter and almost certainly one of if not the very best available in the country at the moment and given the situation -- and people are arguing for the sake of arguing and ruining the kid's thread and his moment to an extent. What started out as a great baseball site is devolving into the absolute worst one among MSU boards.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
So a 30 game season as opposed to 162 would produce the same exact playoff teams?

If a guy looks like shit in the field, why do you need 162 games worth of data to prove it and justify it? "Hey, let's keep sticking Reynolds out there because even though he looks completely lost the stats will even out at some point- trust me, it's math and it's all luck."

Do you need to get bit 162 times by a copperhead to prove that it's a poisonous snake?

Large sample sizes can skew data just as much as small sample sizes can. But hey, screw context because Bill James said so and we can blanket apply it to everything in a sport where you have no clue what the **** your watching in the first place and try to explain it with bullshit.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:33 PM
It's past your bedtime, my bru.

Oh excuse me "bru".

KB21
06-22-2015, 09:33 PM
I think Austin would have played 3B. While it's more of a developmental issue with the Braves, that is where they drafted him to play and will play him until he proves he cannot handle the position at the pro level. His power bat and arm would have been in play at this position.

Now, I don't think you can evaluate Luke Reynolds defense on numbers at this point. You have to evaluate his actions at 3B, and I did not see him get enough reps defensively to make a strong opinion one way or the other. I do know that John Cohen values defense, and he chose to play Seth Heck instead of Luke Reynolds at 3B.

With the Barfield commitment, I still wonder if he is coming in this year or if he is a 2016 recruit. If he is coming in this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him play 3B and Reynolds DH.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm sick of every baseball thread devolving into this same bullshit. We just got a commitment from what could end up being a very good power hitter and almost certainly one of if not the very best available in the country at the moment and given the situation -- and people are arguing for the sake of arguing and ruining the kid's thread and his moment to an extent. What started out as a great baseball site is devolving into the absolute worst one among MSU boards.

We should just start a new commitment thread. If someone would just ban Smitty again, I have a feeling that the baseball IQ of this board would triple overnight.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:37 PM
I think Austin would have played 3B. While it's more of a developmental issue with the Braves, that is where they drafted him to play and will play him until he proves he cannot handle the position at the pro level. His power bat and arm would have been in play at this position.

Now, I don't think you can evaluate Luke Reynolds defense on numbers at this point. You have to evaluate his actions at 3B, and I did not see him get enough reps defensively to make a strong opinion one way or the other. I do know that John Cohen values defense, and he chose to play Seth Heck instead of Luke Reynolds at 3B.

With the Barfield commitment, I still wonder if he is coming in this year or if he is a 2016 recruit. If he is coming in this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him play 3B and Reynolds DH.

He's a 2016 commitment. The only question at this point is how healthy his hand is. I do think- despite all of the ridiculousness- that Reynolds will compete with him for the third base job. Although I do agree with you that with Barfield I feel a LOT better about the power aspect of this class and about our situation at third base.

Smitty
06-22-2015, 09:44 PM
We should just start a new commitment thread. If someone would just ban Smitty again, I have a feeling that the baseball IQ of this board would triple overnight.

So full of yourself. So wrong so often nowadays.

maroonmania
06-22-2015, 09:49 PM
So, back to the subject that most actually care about, did Barfield essentially have the same injury that Collins had this past season?

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:51 PM
So full of yourself. So wrong so often nowadays.

I don't think you want to know what my sample size of being right is compared to yours. But I guarantee you it's damn big enough.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 09:55 PM
So, back to the subject that most actually care about, did Barfield essentially have the same injury that Collins had this past season?

No, actually he had the same injury David Justice had in 1996 for comparisons sake where he actually fractured the bone. So, it should heal- but in the short term it's definitely a concern.

Collins actually had the bone removed because of irritation.

KB21
06-22-2015, 10:01 PM

Yes. It's also the same injury Andrew Benitendi had between his senior year of high school and freshman year at Arkansas.

Smitty
06-22-2015, 10:03 PM
Is Todd4State and KB21 the same person?

KB21
06-22-2015, 10:05 PM
No, actually he had the same injury David Justice had in 1996 for comparisons sake where he actually fractured the bone. So, it should heal- but in the short term it's definitely a concern.

Collins actually had the bone removed because of irritation.

I was under the impression that it was the same injury. Fractures of the scaphoid and hamate bones sometimes lead to AVN of that bone, and they usually end up needing to be removed.

Todd4State
06-22-2015, 10:11 PM
I was under the impression that it was the same injury. Fractures of the scaphoid and hamate bones sometimes lead to AVN of that bone, and they usually end up needing to be removed.

I'll double check to make sure. I thought I heard fracture. It's definitely a hand injury, and I don't know if he has had surgery on it or if they are just putting it in a splint.

HSVDawg
06-22-2015, 10:13 PM

I'm by no means a Cohen hater (yet), but damn. Just look at your list for a second. Cohen has been at MSU 7 years as opposed to only 4 years at UK, but 5 of the 6 guys you just named were from his UK teams.

I don't necessarily think that Cohen tries to just turn our guys into "slap hitters" on a whim. On the contrary, I think that the list you just posted shows that he can just be plain obsessive about tailoring the offensive mindset of our players towards the stadium that they are playing in and away from their natural tendencies in many cases. That isn't always a good thing.

KB21
06-22-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm by no means a Cohen hater (yet), but damn. Just look at your list for a second. Cohen has been at MSU 7 years as opposed to only 4 years at UK, but 5 of the 6 guys you just named were from his UK teams.

I don't necessarily think that Cohen tries to just turn our guys into "slap hitters" on a whim. On the contrary, I think that the list you just posted shows that he can just be plain obsessive about tailoring the offensive mindset of our players towards the stadium that they are playing in and away from their natural tendencies in many cases. That isn't always a good thing.

I believe I have also shown that when he has legitimate power hitters, they hit for power.

With our home stadium, if you build this team to hit the ball with loft to try and hit home runs, you are going to struggle on offense. You will never find enough power hitters to field a strong line up, and will have a ship load of strike outs. That's what some of you are wanting Cohen to do, and he did that to an extent at Kentucky as he was taking advantage of their ball park. There is a reason that other team's power hitters do not hit many home runs at Dudy Noble.

Smitty
06-22-2015, 10:44 PM
I believe I have also shown that when he has legitimate power hitters, they hit for power.

With our home stadium, if you build this team to hit the ball with loft to try and hit home runs, you are going to struggle on offense. You will never find enough power hitters to field a strong line up, and will have a ship load of strike outs. That's what some of you are wanting Cohen to do, and he did that to an extent at Kentucky as he was taking advantage of their ball park. There is a reason that other team's power hitters do not hit many home runs at Dudy Noble.

You're just wrong.

A HR hitter does not mean someone that just jacks fly balls and hits .240.

You're best hitters will hit them in the gaps and over the fence. What's this build shit? The best hitters will be the best hitters.

KB21
06-22-2015, 10:50 PM
You're just wrong.

A HR hitter does not mean someone that just jacks fly balls and hits .240.

You're best hitters will hit them in the gaps and over the fence. What's this build shit? The best hitters will be the best hitters.

So, tell me, what power hitters has Cohen had that he has diminished their power with his philosophy of hitting the ball gap to gap?

Smitty
06-22-2015, 10:53 PM
So, tell me, what power hitters has Cohen had that he has diminished their power with his philosophy of hitting the ball gap to gap?

Gap to gap is not the issue. It's the "slap the ball through the infield" that we've heard from numerous posters that is.

Backspin
06-22-2015, 10:59 PM
Congrats to Jacob Barfield. You don't get an opportunity like this without working your butt off. I'm sure it's a dream come true. Welcome to the SEC!!

KB21
06-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Gap to gap is not the issue. It's the "slap the ball through the infield" that we've heard from numerous posters that is.

This is a classic case of using hyperbole to criticize a coach that you don't like for whatever reason.

http://www.scout.com/college/kentucky/story/512369-baseball-s-monster-mash

Coach Cohen is a really great hitting coach," Strieby said. "He places a lot of emphasis on hitting in the middle and works a lot on my lower half of my body, but he thinks my hands are really good and he thinks I can get better."

That is Cohen's philosophy. Not "slap the ball through the infield".

The stuff Coach Cohen teaches you is a different philosophy than most of us our used too," Strieby said on Cohen. "But he really helps you become a more complete and mature hitter."

Smitty
06-22-2015, 11:07 PM
This is a classic case of using hyperbole to criticize a coach that you don't like for whatever reason.

http://www.scout.com/college/kentucky/story/512369-baseball-s-monster-mash

That is Cohen's philosophy. Not "slap the ball through the infield".

Will you stop bringing up ****ing Kentucky. We have people HERE saying otherwise that are in contact with current players

KB21
06-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Will you stop bringing up ****ing Kentucky. We have people HERE saying otherwise that are in contact with current players

Who has said that? I haven't seen anyone say that. I did see a discussion the other day where it was said that he has a point system in batting practice and gives more points for balls that are hit off the L screen than he does for balls hit off the wall. That's not "slapping the ball through the infield".

The only things that has changed from his philosophy with Kentucky is the stadium factors and how he has recruited players for the park.

Jacksondevildog
06-22-2015, 11:24 PM
"Flick" the ball would be the correct term.

From a player.

That plays.

That likes Cohen.

CohenSidedWithGreatness
06-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Welcomed addition.