PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Game National is going on right now

Todd4State
06-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Here are some comments about a few of our commits from PG scouts.

"Walker Robbins (2016 LHP, Leakesville, MS) is a primary left handed pitcher but he had my favorite hitting mechanics and execution of the afternoon. He has a beautiful shift into contact with very good balance and present bat speed. He has a chance to be a high level hitter; we'll wait to see how he performs on the mound."

"Mitchell Miller (2016 LHP, Covington, GA) is going to be an interesting arm to follow moving forward given his highly projectable 6-foot-5, 180-pound frame with impressive stuff to match. Working with an up-tempo delivery, Miller shows a fast and loose left arm from a lower three-quarter slot, creating nice velocity and difficult angle on hitters. Running his fastball up to 89 mph while sitting consistently in the upper-80s while showing the ability to work down in the zone. To complement his fastball, the Mississippi State commit featured three different off speed pitches with his changeup featuring some late fade in the in the 78-80 mph range."

"Alex Speas (2016 RHP, Powder Springs, GA) came out throwing the ball and everybody in attendance took notice. Sitting comfortably in the mid-90s over his two innings while peaking at 97 mph, Speas showed a loose and easy arm action coming from a balanced delivery. With a long and projectable frame, Speas showed the ability to work downhill with his fastball, getting to his glove side and showing life on the pitch. His curveball also developed throughout his two innings with the last couple he snapped off being his best, up to 82 mph with sharp break and nice depth."

Some of our recruits are performing there today or over the weekend such as Riley Self, Hagan Severance, and I think Dustin Skelton is there as well. So, we'll see how they perform. With our class size what it currently is, I would suspect we'll take 4-6 more players if I had to guess.

One recruit who isn't participating but I like is Will Brooks. He played in the Sun Belt Classic in Oklahoma and had at least a couple of home runs over the course of the 10 game tournament.

AlSwearengen
06-19-2015, 12:49 PM
sounds like the speas kid is a pipe dream.

Todd4State
06-19-2015, 12:53 PM
I do not expect Speas to make it to campus unless something crazy happens.

I do think we'll get everyone else though, and I think it will be a solid follow up class to what we had this year.

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2015, 12:59 PM

I do think we'll get everyone else though, and I think it will be a solid follow up class to what we had this year.

Agree with Spees, but way to early to tell on everyone else.

Signing Spees is still smart though, because you never know what will happen. Injuries, control problems, etc .. happen.

Tbonewannabe
06-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Shit, I got excited until I figured out this is for next year. I don't guess Speas can enroll early and come in to close next year.

messageboardsuperhero
06-19-2015, 01:05 PM

We've got about a 5% chance of getting Speas to campus.

This class won't have the quantity of 2015, but it won't be too far off as far as the quality of player goes. Elliot Anderson, Riley Self, and Cole Whitman are all top 300-400 type of pitchers, in addition to Robbins and Mitchell. Skelton and Severance are really good players too. We still need to find a power bat, as usual.

messageboardsuperhero
06-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Miller's high 80s looks like low 90s to hitters with his length and arm angle. Lefties are going to have a tough time with his stuff.

CadaverDawg
06-19-2015, 04:19 PM
We've got about a 5% chance of getting Speas to campus.

This class won't have the quantity of 2015, but it won't be too far off as far as the quality of player goes. Elliot Anderson, Riley Self, and Cole Whitman are all top 300-400 type of pitchers, in addition to Robbins and Mitchell. Skelton and Severance are really good players too. We still need to find a power bat, as usual.

Why don't we just move our fences in a little already? That would help in recruiting power guys one would imagine

I seen it dawg
06-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Because the left field lounge walkway would be disturbed

Todd4State
06-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Miller's high 80s looks like low 90s to hitters with his length and arm angle. Lefties are going to have a tough time with his stuff.

Miller's motion reminds me of Ross Mitchell's- except with more velocity.

Todd4State
06-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Why don't we just move our fences in a little already? That would help in recruiting power guys one would imagine

I like the fences where they are. We aren't having trouble getting elite power hitters to commit- we just need to go after a few more mid level guys like the Barfield guy we got today.