PDA

View Full Version : I'm not bragging

drunkernhelldawg
06-18-2015, 09:07 AM
about us being ranked highly during parts of last season. I'm tired of hearing it referred to. I've never thought that anything counts but the final result. I actually could go the rest of my life without hearing about it again, and I'd be just fine with that.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2015, 09:21 AM
I understand your position & we shouldn't print up banners but it is something to be proud of. Not a lot of schools get to be ranked #1 for 1 week but we were fortunate to be ranked #1 for 5 weeks. It's definitely something to be proud of but not the ultimate goal. It's not an imaginary goal or have no real value like a recruiting title we actually went out there & proved our worth on the field to get that high nothing wrong with admiring that accomplishment.

spiritual_machine2005
06-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Being ranked number one for several weeks during the season put a lot of eyes on us through out the nation that never would have otherwise. It also puts us in a select group of programs that have been number one in the nation. I think i read somewhere that only about 40 programs can claim that. I understand we didn't end the season there, but being there is definitely something to be proud of.

engie
06-18-2015, 09:28 AM
By final result, we were the best team in Mississippi in 45 years. Even after Dak's struggle at Bama and the defensive collapses in Oxford and Miami.

starkvegasdawg
06-18-2015, 09:31 AM
And don't think being #1 last year doesn't turn some recruits' heads. It showed that for almost half the season last year we were at the top of the nation's elites. I remember seeing a tweet from a player last year excited that he just got an offer from the #1 team in the nation.

LC Dawg
06-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Dan Mullen has taken us from a middle of the pack Conference USA team to being ranked #1 in the nation for 5 consecutive weeks. That is a product of a lot of hard work by our coaching staff and our players and I'm damn proud of the accomplishment. If we're bragging about it five years from now that will be TSUNish but right now I have no problem with being proud of the ranking. I think we are a little ways away from being proud only if we win a championship.

MSUDawg99
06-18-2015, 09:42 AM
And don't think being #1 last year doesn't turn some recruits' heads. It showed that for almost half the season last year we were at the top of the nation's elites. I remember seeing a tweet from a player last year excited that he just got an offer from the #1 team in the nation.

Exactly! It helps in recruiting & ask Ben Howland if he had heard of MSU or Dak Prescott before we hired him. He's one of Dak's biggest fans now.

MSUDawg99
06-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Dan Mullen has taken us from a middle of the pack Conference USA team to being ranked #1 in the nation for 5 consecutive weeks. That is a product of a lot of hard work by our coaching staff and our players and I'm damn proud of the accomplishment. If we're bragging about it five years from now that will be TSUNish but right now I have no problem with being proud of the ranking. I think we are a little ways away from being proud only if we win a championship.

Also, good points!

sandwolf
06-18-2015, 09:45 AM
about us being ranked highly during parts of last season. I'm tired of hearing it referred to. I've never thought that anything counts but the final result. I actually could go the rest of my life without hearing about it again, and I'd be just fine with that.

I might would agree if we were talking about us being ranked in the top 6 or 8, or if we were talking about baseball. But we are talking about football and we were ranked #1 in the country for 5 weeks, with only 3 games left in the regular season.....it shows our fan base, our administration, our team and recruits that striving for a title at Mississippi State is not a pipe dream. So you can be as tired of it as you want to, but it is insane to say that it shouldn't be referenced by a program with a history like ours.

drunkernhelldawg
06-18-2015, 09:46 AM
I see your points about recruiting. It was an accomplishment. I don't mean to put that down. It's just come up several times over the past few days and I'm thinking not of that but of the drop at the end of the season and the huge challenge we face in getting back to that high level we enjoyed for a time last season.

Tbonewannabe
06-18-2015, 09:52 AM
MSU has now been #1 for more weeks than the rest of the universities in MS combined. That is something to be proud of.

Maroonthirteen
06-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Last year, felt like dating the hottest chick on campus for 5 weeks. Only to get dumped before rounding 3rd base....

I would feel a lot better about last year if we could have won at least 1 of the last 2.

Jack Lambert
06-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Has ole Miss ever been ranked number one in the AP, UPI, BCS or Playoffs? I know some of those racist magazine back in the day did but has any of these.

Tbonewannabe
06-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Not sure but I thought they were for 2 or 3 weeks.

starkvegasdawg
06-18-2015, 01:06 PM
In 1964 they were AP preseason #1. Had a bye the first week and then lost the first game they played. I couldn't find anything else.

That was the last time they were #1 so they're on a 51 year drought.

engie
06-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Ole Miss has been #1 for 5 weeks in the AP, one of which was a preseason ranking. They have been #2 for 16 weeks, 2 of which were preseason and 2 of which were final...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/demo/m_20150618-bk24-52kb.jpg

Tbonewannabe
06-18-2015, 01:16 PM
So since preseason is garbage, UM has been #1 for 4 weeks in the AP in their entire history.

BossDawg
06-18-2015, 01:53 PM
I would feel a lot better about last year if we could have won at least 1 of the last 2.

That took the wind out of my sails, too. What makes it even worse is I think a lot of that had to do with Collins being distracted in the EB and then just splitting on the team before the Orange Bowl. Then the prick had the nerve to tweet something along the lines of how he felt like the players at State were his family, yadda yadda.

For some reason I think we could've beat Bama, too, had the game been at home or on a neutral field. We just seemed rattled at first, especially when Bama started running off with the game. Once we settled in though, things definitely evened out.

sandwolf
06-18-2015, 02:17 PM
That took the wind out of my sails, too. What makes it even worse is I think a lot of that had to do with Collins being distracted in the EB and then just splitting on the team before the Orange Bowl.

It seems like I remember hearing that Collins offered to stay through the Orange Bowl but Mullen told him to get his shit and go..........did that happen or did I make that up?

Tbonewannabe
06-18-2015, 02:28 PM
After our defense basically didn't blitz a banged up Oline protecting a QB on one leg I was ready for him to go. That was some of the worst defensive prep since Nutt didn't know we might run the option.

FISHDAWG
06-18-2015, 03:11 PM
years later looking back at least we can claim we were the inaugural #1 by the playoff committee ..... fwiw

ETA - no other team will ever be able to claim that

Billy Ray Valentine
06-18-2015, 03:39 PM
After our defense basically didn't blitz a banged up Oline protecting a QB on one leg I was ready for him to go. That was some of the worst defensive prep since Nutt didn't know we might run the option.

Then we topped it in the Orange Bowl by seemingly not watching any film

BiscuitEater
06-18-2015, 06:31 PM
about us being ranked highly during parts of last season.

Agree .. 'cause we were ranked #1 so many weeks during the Charlie Shira era when I was at State.**

Sorry, but I will point with pride at the 5 weeks ranked #1 last year. You can do what you want.

BiscuitEater
06-18-2015, 06:34 PM
MSU has now been #1 for more weeks than the rest of the universities in MS combined. That is something to be proud of.

In the NEW era if Championship College Football .. MSU has been ranked #1 LONGER than ANY OTHER College football team .. period. look it up.

One could also add that poor ole Miss'ippi Stat was the 'first team' ever selected as #1 by the playoff committee.

FlabLoser
06-18-2015, 06:54 PM
In the NEW era if Championship College Football .. MSU has been ranked #1 LONGER than ANY OTHER College football team .. period. look it up.

One could also add that poor ole Miss'ippi Stat was the 'first team' ever selected as #1 by the playoff committee.

MSU was also the first ever team to be ranked #1 by the college football playoff poll.

Coach34
06-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Its a huge accomplishment by a Mississippi school. As much as we want to be equal with LSU, Bama, Auburn- State and Ole Missus simply are not. Being #1 for 5 weeks was a great accomplishment.

Now then- here is where it needs to be put in perspective. You can be very proud of that accomplishment- but not satisfied. Nobody is satisfied with how last season turned out. And we shouldnt let any rival fans try to paint us as satisfied.