PDA

View Full Version : Horse Flies

Really Clark?
06-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Ok is it just me or are they a lot worse this year. During hitting lessons we just keep getting swarmed with them. To the point it's becoming a distraction. What's a good way to get rid of them or at least keep them manageable?

5 Star
06-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Yes, I've noticed more of them. Seems it's a new insect every year. Last year it seemed the mosquitos and wasps were worse.

Bug spray I guess, to answer your question.

Really Clark?
06-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Yes, I've noticed more of them. Seems it's a new insect every year. Last year it seemed the mosquitos and wasps were worse.

Bug spray I guess, to answer your question.

That works but I would have to give it to players to help annihilate the bugs and then you have the idiot that decides spraying people is fun to. And there are a lot of insecticides they are resistant to. I hoping someone had an idea of a way or product that can keep them away. Thought about a zapper away from the cages but with that many sweaty people it draws them in so fast. Even on the fields they are aggravating.

MSUDawg4Life
06-18-2015, 10:54 AM
I've noticed they are much worse this year. Walked in my dad's house and he said I had two on me. Get into my truck and there's another one flying around inside my truck.

DanDority
06-18-2015, 11:44 AM
In reply to the O.P. I have no idea. Good luck with your quest to get rid of them. Our cattle are the ones I feel for they are just getting eaton alive out there. If you find a solution let me know.

Really Clark?
06-18-2015, 12:19 PM
In reply to the O.P. I have no idea. Good luck with your quest to get rid of them. Our cattle are the ones I feel for they are just getting eaton alive out there. If you find a solution let me know.

So far some home remedies that may work in certain situations. Not sure about anything for broad range. Read in three different areas about hanging a stool up high with fly paper on the underside and a black ball swinging underneath the stool. Not sure about that idea. Saw a couple of places of homemade sprays to spray ground and any surface to keep them away. Probably try some of that. Some of the ideas have the standard lavender, lemon grass, peppermint, etc oils. I've seen some who use skin so soft on their horses (don't get in eyes) again how good is that for a bunch of cattle??? And how long will it last, who knows.

Political Hack
06-19-2015, 08:47 AM
So far some home remedies that may work in certain situations. Not sure about anything for broad range. Read in three different areas about hanging a stool up high with fly paper on the underside and a black ball swinging underneath the stool. Not sure about that idea. Saw a couple of places of homemade sprays to spray ground and any surface to keep them away. Probably try some of that. Some of the ideas have the standard lavender, lemon grass, peppermint, etc oils. I've seen some who use skin so soft on their horses (don't get in eyes) again how good is that for a bunch of cattle??? And how long will it last, who knows.

skin so soft will work on mosquitos too, so if that works it may be a win-win.

Really Clark?
06-19-2015, 09:33 AM
skin so soft will work on mosquitos too, so if that works it may be a win-win.

Yeah I have used that before and it's good in most places. It doesn't work nearly as well with the little sand nats that bite on the coast. I use to have, before it became impossible to get, some 100% deet spray. That worked great on Mosquitos and those nats but you didn't want to spray your skin. Put it on clothing, shoes, top of hat, in the boat carpet, just not direct skin contact. Can't find that anymore though.

starkvegasdawg
06-19-2015, 09:42 AM
They are worse this year. Noticed Wednesday when I was working in my lawn mower I tried to burn to the ground how bad they were. So far, it seems to me it is mainly the smaller ones. I haven't seen a lot of the big black Flying Fortress horse flies than bring you to your knees when they bite. To the person that said it is something different every year I agree. For me this year it is horse flies, last year wasps and fire ants, and the year before that it was black widows.

BeastMan
07-11-2015, 06:59 AM
I deal with horse flies all the time being a marsh fisherman. The only thing I've found that works is this spray at Ace Hardware that has a horse on the bottle. It doesn't kill them but it repels them. Regular flies too.