PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here care about satellite camps?

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2015, 03:03 PM
This seems to be the media manufactured story for the summer. They are beating this dead horse in an effort to create a Meyer/Harbaugh against the big bad SEC.....

Personally, I could care less. I could really give two rips if Big 10 coaches come down to SEC country to run camps & recruit. I think it's a non-story.

Just curious if you guys think this is an actual story or one the media is manufacturing to create controversy?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-17-2015, 03:05 PM
I don't care one way or the other, but I think it needs to be the same across the board for all of the NCAA. Either every conference should do it or none at all.

drunkernhelldawg
06-17-2015, 03:14 PM
I think Mullen is right on this issue. They want to run a camp, they need to do it on one of their campuses. I think Mullen is right to perceive it as a threat to the recruiting power balance. So yes. I care. I'll pick your knowledge of the game over mine, however, so I'd like to know why you think it's irrelevant.

ShotgunDawg
06-17-2015, 03:20 PM
I think Mullen is right on this issue. They want to run a camp, they need to do it on one of their campuses. I think Mullen is right to perceive it as a threat to the recruiting power balance. So yes. I care. I'll pick your knowledge of the game over mine, however, so I'd like to know why you think it's irrelevant.

Good points. I just don't see it as that impactful. Sure, I'd like for the rules to be streamlined from conference to conference, but I just don't see it as the national story/ Harbaugh & Meyer taking over the SEC story that it is being branded as.

It's not like these coaches haven't been able to recruit in the South the entire time, so them just being able to participate in a camp isn't likely to tip the scales.

It's not that I don't think it's an issue, it's that I don't believe it's a national story, big issue.

Really Clark?
06-17-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't care one way or the other, but I think it needs to be the same across the board for all of the NCAA. Either every conference should do it or none at all.

To draw it out further, I think it should be a conference deal IF you are going to allow it, make sure it is a camp that gives each conference and each member institution of those conferences an equal opportunity to participate. It should be more about teaching in different parts of the country as well as networking. But if not kept in check it is an area where universities with vast resources can benefit and use those monies to seperate themselves again from the pack. One of the things always discussed is that the amount of money the elite programs have it begins to mean less. A diminished return if you will. This is an avenue where the elites can use that money to seperate themselves again from other member institutions of their conferences.

Martianlander
06-17-2015, 03:21 PM

I agree. It gives them access to a lot of youngsters that might not make the trip north, and as pointed out the rules need to be the same for all conferences.

whosyourdawgy
06-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Y'all won't care until Saban has a camp at Madison central or somewhere and some of these lower ranked kids we get end up with Bama offers and leave the state when they wouldn't have otherwise. Change Saban/Bama to Meyer/OSU or Harbough/Michigan or whoever else. I don't want coaches from other states coming to MS to have a big ol recruiting party and trying to steal our best players. Keep them out

Ifyouonlyknew
06-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Y'all won't care until Saban has a camp at Madison central or somewhere and some of these lower ranked kids we get end up with Bama offers and leave the state when they wouldn't have otherwise. Change Saban/Bama to Meyer/OSU or Harbough/Michigan or whoever else. I don't want coaches from other states coming to MS to have a big ol recruiting party and trying to steal our best players. Keep them out

Huge difference. Saban already visits tons of MS schools & tons of MS kids already camp at Bama to be seen. Michigan & Ohio St don't have the time to come & visit 100 HS across GA, AL, MS, & LA so being able to have these satellite camps gives them a chance to eyeball hundreds of kids who they may would never see otherwise. It hurts schools like MSU, KY, USC, etc more so than Bama, LSU, UGA, etc because they recruit the top kids. However that kid in Georgia or Alabama who don't get that home state school offer that we tend to feed off of all of a sudden has a Michigan or Ohio St offer. It makes our staff job that much tougher.

LC Dawg
06-17-2015, 03:52 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/jim_harbaugh_nabs_another_alab.html

5 Star
06-17-2015, 04:31 PM
I think it should be fair, however they want to do it. Either restrict everyone, or the SEC should get rid of its own restriction.

Restricting everyone would be the best way to protect the talent in the South. I mean, it's not like Alabama will really want to hold a camp in Detroit or Cleveland. The talent is in the South. However, I also would not be against letting everyone hold camps anywhere they want. More options for more people, probably the best thing in all honesty.

MSUDawg99
06-17-2015, 04:33 PM

This is my stance too...

MSUDawg99
06-17-2015, 04:38 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/jim_harbaugh_nabs_another_alab.html

Interesting!

Todd4State
06-17-2015, 04:59 PM
I think it will hurt schools like USM and Memphis more than us because if a kid from Mississippi has to choose between MSU and Michigan, he's probably coming to MSU. If a kid has a USM offer and a Michigan offer, logically he's going to Michigan most likely.

Todd4State
06-17-2015, 05:00 PM
It's a manufactured story because ESPN desperately wants the Big 10 to be relevant in college football.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-17-2015, 05:01 PM
I think it will hurt schools like USM and Memphis more than us because if a kid from Mississippi has to choose between MSU and Michigan, he's probably coming to MSU. If a kid has a USM offer and a Michigan offer, logically he's going to Michigan most likely.

Yea but if a kid from Alabama or Georgia or Louisiana best offers are MSU or Michigan then it does affect us.

5 Star
06-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Yea but if a kid from Alabama or Georgia or Louisiana best offers are MSU or Michigan then it does affect us.
Bingo

Dallas_Dawg
06-17-2015, 05:40 PM
What Dan (IYOK) said...
Without these camps, they know they won't be able to find the Jon Bank and BMac's of the world. On top of that, they are getting to build relationships at these camps that we have the advantage of doing, since we are so close.
I agree that it hurts us more than the Bamas as Lsus of the world

dickiedawg
06-17-2015, 09:46 PM
I agree that the rule should be uniform. And it will be, once the ncaa band it or, more likely, the SEC rescinds its rule.
Honestly, the NCAA should not ban it. At the end of the day, greater exposure to a greater number of schools and scouts equates to a better chance for some of these athletes to get noticed. And that's what it's all about.

drunkernhelldawg
06-18-2015, 01:09 AM
I agree that the rule should be uniform. And it will be, once the ncaa band it or, more likely, the SEC rescinds its rule.
Honestly, the NCAA should not ban it. At the end of the day, greater exposure to a greater number of schools and scouts equates to a better chance for some of these athletes to get noticed. And that's what it's all about.

Thought provoking post.

Dawg61
06-18-2015, 01:31 AM
The problem is that it's misleading to the players. They don't get a taste of what living in Michigan is like.

maroonmania
06-18-2015, 08:49 AM
What Dan (IYOK) said...
Without these camps, they know they won't be able to find the Jon Bank and BMac's of the world. On top of that, they are getting to build relationships at these camps that we have the advantage of doing, since we are so close.
I agree that it hurts us more than the Bamas as Lsus of the world

Heck, most SEC schools can't find the Jon Banks and BMac's of the world because they aren't interested in projecting raw talent. OM can't find, or doesn't want to find, those guys right under their nose so I don't see Michigan being interested in a 2 star guy from the South. However, I do agree, that if a guy is say in Georgia and is really good but just below getting an offer from a Georgia, Alabama or Auburn and we want him and so does Michigan we might could lose him. I think there would have been a MUCH bigger risk of that 5-10 years ago than now but it could happen. Still think most of those guys will want to stay closer to home and play in the SEC if they have that option. And no, we aren't AL, but our program is far from chopped liver these days.

5 Star
06-18-2015, 08:53 AM
The problem is that it's misleading to the players. They don't get a taste of what living in Michigan is like.
I'm sure they would go on an official visit at some point, if they got noticed at a camp.

Misleading? What does that even mean? Are these guys 18 years old or 4 years old? If kids are being misled, then it's already happening, it's called recruiting, and every coach turns into a salesman.

Dawg61
06-18-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm sure they would go on an official visit at some point, if they got noticed at a camp.

Misleading? What does that even mean? Are these guys 18 years old or 4 years old? If kids are being misled, then it's already happening, it's called recruiting, and every coach turns into a salesman.

It's kinda like getting catered food vs actually sitting in the restaurant to eat.

thf24
06-18-2015, 12:24 PM
It's a decent enough topic to discuss in the summer dead period, but until we start losing half our top targets to Michigan or other Big 10 schools, I don't really care. I just don't see how it's a very effective tactic on their part; I'd be very surprised if they could show solid evidence that they get more return from the time and resources invested to run a camp down here versus just doing another one in their own territory.

Really Clark?
06-18-2015, 12:38 PM
It's a decent enough topic to discuss in the summer dead period, but until we start losing half our top targets to Michigan or other Big 10 schools, I don't really care. I just don't see how it's a very effective tactic on their part; I'd be very surprised if they could show solid evidence that they get more return from the time and resources invested to run a camp down here versus just doing another one in their own territory.

Michigan right now has commits from 3 FL players and more importantly two players from AL. 4 players signed last year. 3 from Florida and 1 from Alabama. It can most definitely make an impact if these kids get to spend a lot more time with those coaches one on one and form relationships with them.

thf24
06-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Michigan right now has commits from 3 FL players and more importantly two players from AL. 4 players signed last year. 3 from Florida and 1 from Alabama. It can most definitely make an impact if these kids get to spend a lot more time with those coaches one on one and form relationships with them.

I'm not saying it doesn't make an impact strictly within its own context, I just question whether or not it's worth the gain they get out of it versus putting that same amount of time and effort into activities closer to home. How much more is it costing them to run a camp of similar size scale 600 miles from home versus 100? Say, hypothetically, they could run three camps in bordering states for the same overall cost that they could run one in Alabama. Granted I have absolutely no clue how accurate that is, but is the exposure in the South really worth the extra cost for the same activity, despite the generally better prospects? Maybe it is and they have the right idea; just something I'm not sold on without access to some real analysis (which probably isn't even possible).

MSUDawg99
06-18-2015, 12:59 PM
The link that someone posted on the 1st page of this thread says that Mich has 3 commits since that camp in Prattville, AL.

LC Dawg
06-18-2015, 01:03 PM
but until we start losing half our top targets to Michigan or other Big 10 schools, I don't really care.

It will be too late then.

Really Clark?
06-18-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm not saying it doesn't make an impact strictly within its own context, I just question whether or not it's worth the gain they get out of it versus putting that same amount of time and effort into activities closer to home. How much more is it costing them to run a camp of similar size scale 600 miles from home versus 100? Say, hypothetically, they could run three camps in bordering states for the same overall cost that they could run one in Alabama. Granted I have absolutely no clue how accurate that is, but is the exposure in the South really worth the extra cost for the same activity, despite the generally better prospects? Maybe it is and they have the right idea; just something I'm not sold on without access to some real analysis (which probably isn't even possible).

With their budget it's a drop in the hat. They could do dozens of these camps and it wouldn't effect these elite schools. It's actually a new way to get some return on the money they have. With $100 Mil+ budgets, the could spend $5 mil and it not effect them. $5 mil makes a difference a lot of other schools.

Westdawg
06-18-2015, 01:50 PM
I am completely and totally against satellite camps. there are multiple reasons why, and at the end of the day, if you are in the camp of " i don't care/it's ok with me", then we are losing major ground already.
The SEC has become what it has in football and baseball because of the amount of talent ( raw or otherwise). The reason we have taken such a huge step as a football program is because our coaching staff has really worked hard at evaluation of not only known talent, but the ones that, because of where they play - or that they are playing out of position ( which happens a lot) - have never been evaluated by a recruiting site or have never made a HUDL video/etc. of themselves in order to get their name out there, or have not traveled the camp circuit.
Now, you take someone like Michigan coming in to the MidSouth/Memphis area for a 1-2 day camp event, and they get to see hundreds of players, make inroads with HS coaching staffs, and find a couple players that they evaluate and sign.....within just a VERY few years, they have formed a pipeline into a region. Sure, that can happen anyways. Look at the gulf coast area with Oklahoma coming in and grabbing a player or two for the past few years in a row. Now, Miss State didn't want all of those players, but as of this past couple years, we have lost at least 2-3 recruits to them, one of which was a major blow recruiting-wise. Some may say the Campbell kid from Yazoo would have gone there anyhow, but knowing that the coaching staff had made a concerted effort to finding quality MS kids, they have something to really tie in with kids from the state.
Back to Michigan, they end up snagging a kid like B-Mac because after evaluating him in person, they see what our staff saw. and 4 years ago, Michigan vs MSU ?? not even close. and the national brand still carries a lot of weight with these kids, regardless of how many strides we have made as a program, prestige-wise.
What this also does is provides an option for the top-tier talent to have up close and personal time with an entire coaching staff without having to pay for long distance trips, make an official or unofficial visit across country, and as a result, teams like Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, will lose some of those top tier recruits to schools elsewhere that would not have happened had teams like Michigan or Penn State not come to the south. As a result, those upper echelon SEC schools move on to their next level kids.....players that WE have now been good at getting on campus along with those hidden talents like B Mac.
Make no mistake, having schools go across country to have camps will destroy Mississippi State in the short and long term. Bet on it.

TUSK
06-24-2015, 04:56 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/4-star_khalid_kareem_commits_t.html

Take that, Jim Harbaugh.

Alabama ventured into Michigan to land its latest commit in four-star defensive end Khalid Kareem. The Harrison High School standout picked the Tide over Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame.

"They have a great coaching staff," Kareem said about Alabama.

Kareem had previously committed to Michigan State in February, but quickly backed off the pledge. He visited Alabama's Tuscaloosa campus two weekends ago and felt comfortable enough to verbally commit on Wednesday. He also visited for the A-Day spring game in April.

He is rated the No. 10 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 185 overall player. He is expected enroll early at the school in January.

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh made news earlier this month when he hosted a satellite camp at Prattville High School in Alabama. Harbaugh has two Alabama recruits currently committed in the class of 2016. SEC coaches, like Alabama's Nick Saban, publicly opposed the satellite camps, in part because SEC rules don't allow its coaches to do the same

LC Dawg
06-24-2015, 06:20 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/4-star_khalid_kareem_commits_t.html

Take that, Jim Harbaugh.

Alabama ventured into Michigan to land its latest commit in four-star defensive end Khalid Kareem. The Harrison High School standout picked the Tide over Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame.

"They have a great coaching staff," Kareem said about Alabama.

Kareem had previously committed to Michigan State in February, but quickly backed off the pledge. He visited Alabama's Tuscaloosa campus two weekends ago and felt comfortable enough to verbally commit on Wednesday. He also visited for the A-Day spring game in April.

He is rated the No. 10 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 185 overall player. He is expected enroll early at the school in January.

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh made news earlier this month when he hosted a satellite camp at Prattville High School in Alabama. Harbaugh has two Alabama recruits currently committed in the class of 2016. SEC coaches, like Alabama's Nick Saban, publicly opposed the satellite camps, in part because SEC rules don't allow its coaches to do the same

So you guys are going after four-stars now? Saban is slipping.

TUSK
06-24-2015, 06:39 PM
So you guys are going after four-stars now? Saban is slipping.

Nice!

He's projected as a "Jack LB".... it's hard to find them....

MSUDawg99
06-24-2015, 07:28 PM
TUSK, why do Bama & AUB both call their spring game A day? I can see Bammer doin that. Just dont understand why AUB would, unless they're both on same wknd? Where's the differentiation?