Coach34
06-16-2015, 10:07 PM
just an FYI

msstate7
06-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Vandy should've been. Illinois got it bc they're the big 10 team

I seen it dawg
06-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Got to be a national seed to win it...oh wait...

RDawg90
06-16-2015, 10:12 PM
I hope all of the people hoping/demanding/expecting/requiring/etc. a drastic improvement at the plate next year or a hitting coach or Cohen to be fired for his offensive approach are watching this and realizing that pitching still wins in this game. Florida got 2 hit last night, Vandy against Fullerton's ace and Young couldn't get good swings, and neither Virginia or TCU can hit. Pitching wins, and that was the area that absolutely killed us this year, and that's the area that I think we still have a high ceiling in.

CadaverDawg
06-16-2015, 10:14 PM
just an FYI

Awesome, we're right where we want to be then.

Coach34
06-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Vandy should've been. Illinois got it bc they're the big 10 team

But Vandy wasnt. And the NCAA is going to continue to give Big Ten teams and others regionals to spread the wealth in college baseball

Homedawg
06-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Virginia doesn't even count, just got hot late in the year.........

I seen it dawg
06-16-2015, 10:21 PM
But it does count. They had a ton of injuries and they got healthy, and hot. Shit they were a 3 seed. They almost didn't make their own conference tournament.

RDawg90
06-16-2015, 10:21 PM
Virginia doesn't even count, just got hot late in the year.........

Virginia got healthy late in the year.

Smitty
06-16-2015, 10:26 PM
"Oh here's some anecdotal evidence"

And using Vandy in that point too is silly.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2015, 10:28 PM
You're on a roll today serf. Wth are you even talking about?

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 10:34 PM
"Oh here's some anecdotal evidence"

Correct me if I'm wrong- but did you not say that the team hosting a regional wins 78% of the time?

Because according to D1 baseball it's 68%.

Coach34
06-16-2015, 10:35 PM

not a national seed- bottom line

Smitty
06-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong- but did you not say that the team hosting a regional wins 78% of the time?

Because according to D1 baseball it's 68%.

Yeah they ****ed up. We've been over this. We listed it all out.

maroonmania
06-17-2015, 09:00 AM
I wonder if there has ever been 2 teams rematched in back to back years in the CWS for the title? Looks like it could very well happen this year.

confucius say
06-17-2015, 09:58 AM
4 of the 8 teams in Omaha are national seeds. Csf, Virginia, ark, and vandy are not.

I do think it's important to host, but being a national seed is overrated.

blacklistedbully
06-17-2015, 10:24 AM
4 of the 8 teams in Omaha are national seeds. Csf, Virginia, ark, and vandy are not.

50% of the national seeds made it to the CWS. Conversely, 6% of the unseeded teams made it. There are 7 times as many unseeded teams in the regionals.

Interestingly, of the non-seeded regional hosts, 50% won to make it to the Supers. From there, non-seeded teams went 3-4 versus national seeds.

Host teams went 11-5 in the regionals, then 4-4 in the supers for a combined 15-9. National seeds went 4-3 in the Supers.

maroonmania
06-17-2015, 10:30 AM

Best thing about being a national seed is just that you are guaranteed home field advantage all the way to Omaha. That's a pretty big deal.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Best thing about being a national seed is just that you are guaranteed home field advantage all the way to Omaha. That's a pretty big deal.

Exactly. I find it funny that people try to downplay being a National Seed in an attempt to either A) defend Cohen, or B) Bash Smitty. If you cant see the huge benefit in being a National Seed, you are either stupid or are just wanting to argue.

Any time you can guarantee home field throughout the playoffs, its a big deal. Especially when you have the type of home field advantage that MSU and other SEC baseball schools have.

Many of these same people acting like being a National Seed isnt important, are the same ones that put games like Alabama and Ole Miss in the win column this year in football because "we're playing them at home" . Smitty may have turrible moments, but he's right about the importance of hosting and the ultra importance of being a National Seed and making your road to a Championship that much easier. It's an obvious point he's making, nothing earth shattering.

Really Clark?
06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Well we got into this debate deeply before. I think being a 1 seed for the regionals is a big advantage. But because you are changing formats for the super regionals (best 2 out of 3) and then go to a 8 team double elimination tournament for the CWS it doesn't mean as much after regionals. Its about 50/50 or less in recent times because of parody that being a national seed gets you to Omaha after regionals. But it is an advantage during regionals and of course you have pride in your school if it is a high seed. No question about that. But unless things changes the trend is to a decline that being a national seed means quite as much, as far getting to the CWS.

maroonmania
06-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Well we got into this debate deeply before. I think being a 1 seed for the regionals is a big advantage. But because you are changing formats for the super regionals (best 2 out of 3) and then go to a 8 team double elimination tournament for the CWS it doesn't mean as much after regionals. Its about 50/50 or less in recent times because of parody that being a national seed gets you to Omaha after regionals. But it is an advantage during regionals and of course you have pride in your school if it is a high seed. No question about that. But unless things changes the trend is to a decline that being a national seed means quite as much, as far getting to the CWS.

I have no clue what the numbers say, all I know is if I want to beat another very good team 2 out of 3, I would like my chances of doing that much better at home. How many think we would have beaten Clemson 2 out of 3 to make the CWS in 2007 if that had been played at Clemson? I sure don't.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2015, 12:19 PM

How is it so hard for people to comprehend this....If you have to win a Regional and a Super Regional to get to Omaha, it IS ALWAYS AN ADVANTAGE TO BE A NATIONAL SEED BECAUSE YOU GET TO PLAY THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS AT HOME. Im sorry, but its not even debateable. Its an advantage, and whenever there is an advantage, it is important to be the one with that adavnatge. I dont give a rats ass what the stats say, if you have a choice of playing a Super on the road or at home, you choose HOME every. damn. time. How are people even debating this?

And it means even more to a team that holds the record for on campus baseball crowds. Being a National Seed highly increases our chances at a Title....maybe one day we'll get a chance to find out how much it helps. But until then, anyone acting like it doesnt matter is just trying to make themselves feel better about the fact that we cant get to that point, imo.

This isn't directed at just you, Clark...fyi

Smitty
06-17-2015, 12:31 PM
The whole point being we shouldn't give away games to shitty teams while "finding ourselves in February and March. And we should stop scheduling like dumbasses.

Really Clark?
06-17-2015, 12:50 PM
How is it so hard for people to comprehend this....If you have to win a Regional and a Super Regional to get to Omaha, it IS ALWAYS AN ADVANTAGE TO BE A NATIONAL SEED BECAUSE YOU GET TO PLAY THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS AT HOME. Im sorry, but its not even debateable. Its an advantage, and whenever there is an advantage, it is important to be the one with that adavnatge. I dont give a rats ass what the stats say, if you have a choice of playing a Super on the road or at home, you choose HOME every. damn. time. How are people even debating this?

And it means even more to a team that holds the record for on campus baseball crowds. Being a National Seed highly increases our chances at a Title....maybe one day we'll get a chance to find out how much it helps. But until then, anyone acting like it doesnt matter is just trying to make themselves feel better about the fact that we cant get to that point, imo.

This isn't directed at just you, Clark...fyi

I understand what you are saying and by no means if I have a choice do I elect to go on the road, just recently it's not as cut and dry as it use to be. Not with the best of super's thrown in the middle. You are almost playing 3 different tournaments to win the title. It's different than basketball so you can't really draw a direct correlation like you can in that tourney. You have to revisit the teams, match ups, and seeding at each level. It doesn't change the fact everybody would choose home field throughout. I am not saying that.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Has anybody really said it doesn't matter you get to be at home? I know there has been arguments about the percentages and what they mean and arguments but has anybody just flat said "being at home isn't a big deal or doesn't matter"?

If not those of you that keep railing on that point as if people are saying it stfu about it. It's asinine. No one thinks being the home team isn't an advantage. If I find out who if anyone does I'm banning them from baseball discussions and possibly the board for sheer moronic stupidity to the infinite degree.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2015, 03:56 PM
And it's not hard to figure out that being the home team is an advantage. No need to give anyone credit for the captain obvious moment.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2015, 04:11 PM
And it's not hard to figure out that being the home team is an advantage. No need to give anyone credit for the captain obvious moment.

Did you read the thread? If so, you can tell that there are apparently some people that think it's "not as important" these days. So, i agree that my post seems "Captain Obvious", but apparently it's not. I won't post stuff like that if people don't apparently need to hear it.

I agree with you.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Did you read the thread? If so, you can tell that there are apparently some people that think it's "not as important" these days. So, i agree that my post seems "Captain Obvious", but apparently it's not. I won't post stuff like that if people don't apparently need to hear it.

I agree with you.

Not you. Smitty was given credit. Should never happen. So much dumb equity the he can never recover.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Not you. Smitty was given credit. Should never happen. So much dumb equity the he can never recover.

haha

pilldawg
06-17-2015, 07:37 PM
just an FYI

drafted in the 1st 48 picks. That's strong!

Todd4State
06-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Exactly. I find it funny that people try to downplay being a National Seed in an attempt to either A) defend Cohen, or B) Bash Smitty. If you cant see the huge benefit in being a National Seed, you are either stupid or are just wanting to argue.

Any time you can guarantee home field throughout the playoffs, its a big deal. Especially when you have the type of home field advantage that MSU and other SEC baseball schools have.

Many of these same people acting like being a National Seed isnt important, are the same ones that put games like Alabama and Ole Miss in the win column this year in football because "we're playing them at home" . Smitty may have turrible moments, but he's right about the importance of hosting and the ultra importance of being a National Seed and making your road to a Championship that much easier. It's an obvious point he's making, nothing earth shattering.

No one is saying it isn't advantageous to host. But a big theme from Smitty was that hosting regionals alone is how we should judge Cohen regardless of whether we go to a SR or Omaha because then it falls into the category of "luck". THAT'S where it gets stupid.