PDA

View Full Version : Zac Houston had an Ok day in the Cape

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 06:39 PM
6 IP, 0 hits and 9K's.

Maybe Kyle Peterson was right about him pitching in our rotation next year after all.

DistrictDawg92
06-16-2015, 06:43 PM
He's going to be a force next year. Any stats on Dakota from this summer yet?

smootness
06-16-2015, 07:04 PM
I think our clear options for the rotation are Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, and Houston. It's possible one of the freshmen plays their way in there, but I doubt it. I like what we'll have in those 4. The tough thing will be replacing them all when all 4 are likely drafted next year.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Won't make any difference if the toxicity and stupidity didn't exit at the final out of the last game. Although I do like seeing the progress out of Houston and Hudson.

Tbonewannabe
06-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Of course he will bring it. Butch always gets great things out of someone their last year. How crazy is it that Holder and Ross Mitchell are the only pitchers that have been worth anything for more than one year.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 07:46 PM
He's going to be a force next year. Any stats on Dakota from this summer yet?

He has been equally filthy and has had scouts buzzing right now. What the stats don't say is he has been consistently at 92-94 with his fastball and his breaking ball has been unhittable.

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/player.html?playerid=756325&seasonid=29031

Jacksondevildog
06-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Todd, I agree with your tweet to MSUBaseball to the effect that we shouldn't have to wait until their junior year to have these type of results. I concur. Other schools do and our pitching coach isn't a retard. We should have guys competing for weekend spots or midweek spots as a freshman.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Won't make any difference if the toxicity and stupidity didn't exit at the final out of the last game. Although I do like seeing the progress out of Houston and Hudson.

If they pitch like this, they can be as stupid as they want. But don't allow 8-9 runs and then dance around in the dugout trying to figure out what rally hat to wear.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Of course he will bring it. Butch always gets great things out of someone their last year. How crazy is it that Holder and Ross Mitchell are the only pitchers that have been worth anything for more than one year.

I'm honestly not sure what to think of it. Is it a coincidence? I'm not really sure. It's not like we've been sending guys to the same summer league pitching coach and he has "fixed" our guys. All of our pitchers are pitching for different coaches and having similar results minus Austin Sexton so far- and against the top prospects in college baseball. It's like our season ended- and then the switch came on almost immediately. Why?

It's bizarre.

I would include Caleb Reed in your list of guys that have had more than one good season too though.

DistrictDawg92
06-16-2015, 07:54 PM
dance around in the dugout trying to figure out what rally hat to wear.

This has gotten out of hand in College Baseball.

DistrictDawg92
06-16-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm honestly not sure what to think of it. Is it a coincidence? I'm not really sure. It's not like we've been sending guys to the same summer league pitching coach and he has "fixed" our guys. All of our pitchers are pitching for different coaches and having similar results minus Austin Sexton so far- and against the top prospects in college baseball. It's like our season ended- and then the switch came on almost immediately. Why?

It's bizarre.

I would include Caleb Reed in your list of guys that have had more than one good season too though.

Nick Routt had some good years. If he had been on the 2013 team we would've won it all.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Todd, I agree with your tweet to MSUBaseball to the effect that we shouldn't have to wait until their junior year to have these type of results. I concur. Other schools do and our pitching coach isn't a retard. We should have guys competing for weekend spots or midweek spots as a freshman.

What I want to start seeing is guys like Ethan Small, Jared Padgett, etc. be used out of the bullpen in short one inning stints as freshmen and build their confidence up. Rather than be used sparingly as freshmen, get shelled as sophomores and then have the switch come on.

I hate to give the devil his due, but I like how Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz. He pitched out of the bullpen as a freshman- and actually built up enough confidence to transition into a longer and more prominent relief role by the end of the year. And then he was ready as a sophomore. The Cardinals have done with that with pitchers before as well- like Adam Wainwright and Carlos Martinez- and have had a lot of success with it.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Nick Routt had some good years. If he had been on the 2013 team we would've won it all.

He was OK. He had some injuries if I recall that limited him some. We definitely needed another quality starter to win the CWS in 2013.

messageboardsuperhero
06-16-2015, 08:07 PM
What I want to start seeing is guys like Ethan Small, Jared Padgett, etc. be used out of the bullpen in short one inning stints as freshmen and build their confidence up. Rather than be used sparingly as freshmen, get shelled as sophomores and then have the switch come on.

I hate to give the devil his due, but I like how Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz. He pitched out of the bullpen as a freshman- and actually built up enough confidence to transition into a longer and more prominent relief role by the end of the year. And then he was ready as a sophomore. The Cardinals have done with that with pitchers before as well- like Adam Wainwright and Carlos Martinez- and have had a lot of success with it.

Amen. Put them in advantageous situations as freshmen to build their confidence- then have them step in and start games as sophomores. Jesse McCord and Dakota Hudson are good examples of what you're talking about- starting weekends as freshmen and getting shelled, then not being used the rest of the year.

Hopefully these rising juniors stepping up will allow our freshmen to come along slowly.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2015, 08:09 PM
If they pitch like this, they can be as stupid as they want. But don't allow 8-9 runs and then dance around in the dugout trying to figure out what rally hat to wear.

I'm speaking in general not just the pitchers. The team needs to get focused and quit dicking off.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2015, 08:12 PM

It's not hard to figure out....why can't our genius pitching coach

smootness
06-16-2015, 08:17 PM
I think there are a lot more guys throughout the country that only have 'one good year' before leaving than we think. And I think we too often expect big-time results too quickly.

Graveman gave us 3 very good years. Hudson wasn't terrible this year but didn't get a chance to start this year.

Beede only gave Vandy one great year; it just came as a sophomore. Pomeranz gave Ole Miss one great year and one good one.

We don't really bring in as many elite guys as Vandy and LSU do. And beyond that, we're probably pretty normal in terms of how many good years we're getting. I mean, while we're rightly excited about our pitching class, Vandy is bringing in the #12 overall player in the pre-draft rankings to pitch.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 08:17 PM
It's not hard to figure out....why can't our genius pitching coach

I'll tell you what I've seen happen a lot. We'll be up big on someone late in the game but instead of getting one of our younger guys an inning or two, we'll leave Ross or Caleb Reed, or even Holder in to finish the game out. What's the point?

If the freshman struggles, just have another guy that is reliable ready just in case.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 08:27 PM
I think there are a lot more guys throughout the country that only have 'one good year' before leaving than we think. And I think we too often expect big-time results too quickly.

Graveman gave us 3 very good years. Hudson wasn't terrible this year but didn't get a chance to start this year.

Beede only gave Vandy one great year; it just came as a sophomore. Pomeranz gave Ole Miss one great year and one good one.

We don't really bring in as many elite guys as Vandy and LSU do. And beyond that, we're probably pretty normal in terms of how many good years we're getting. I mean, while we're rightly excited about our pitching class, Vandy is bringing in the #12 overall player in the pre-draft rankings to pitch.

What Vanderbilt brings in is more about signability than anything. I actually thought we did pretty well in that category to be honest with you. We lost two guys to the draft that had close MSU ties and a guy that the Orioles had to go way over slot to sign. I know the Phillies went over slot to sign Pickett. Not sure what Riley signed for as far as whether it was over slot or not- but based on what I've heard about the Braves draft I suspect it was over slot. Oddly enough, we got most of the guys with non-MSU ties that were draft risks like Ford, Padgett, Marrero, and Zinn. We were actually pretty darn close to bringing in our entire class.

The thing that no one talks about is what Vanderbilt isn't bringing in.

I want to see our guys give us one good year and one great year. That's the problem- we've been getting two bad years and a great year.

We're starting to get better pitching classes though- Spaes has a chance to be a first round pick. Mitchell Miller, Walker Robbins, Riley Self, Cole Whitman, and Elliott Johnson are also all good prospects as well.

smootness
06-16-2015, 08:31 PM
What Vanderbilt brings in is more about signability than anything. I actually thought we did pretty well in that category to be honest with you. We lost two guys to the draft that had close MSU ties and a guy that the Orioles had to go way over slot to sign. I know the Phillies went over slot to sign Pickett. Not sure what Riley signed for as far as whether it was over slot or not- but based on what I've heard about the Braves draft I suspect it was over slot. Oddly enough, we got most of the guys with non-MSU ties that were draft risks like Ford, Padgett, Marrero, and Zinn. We were actually pretty darn close to bringing in our entire class.

The thing that no one talks about is what Vanderbilt isn't bringing in.

I want to see our guys give us one good year and one great year. That's the problem- we've been getting two bad years and a great year.

We're starting to get better pitching classes though- Spaes has a chance to be a first round pick. Mitchell Miller, Walker Robbins, Riley Self, Cole Whitman, and Elliott Johnson are also all good prospects as well.

Are you arguing that our class is on par with Vandy's? Because while ours is very good, Vandy's is just stupid with top talent. I understand why they're able to do it, but it still doesn't make sense to compare most of the guys we've had with what they've had.

We are increasing the talent level. With that, we should see more guys give us more good years.

DistrictDawg92
06-16-2015, 08:36 PM

People seem to forget that there is a huge difference, both mentally and physically, between an 18 year old and a 21 year old. If a freshman pitcher comes into the SEC and is immediately affective, he probably shouldn't be playing college baseball in the first place. I have no problem with a 3 year development plan, but it has to be consistent year to year. What I do have a problem with is highly touted freshmen arms coming in(Lindgren, Evan Mitchell, Dakota Hudson, Woodruff) and consistently missing their spots by feet. It's baffling that an upper level D1 signee can't even get close to finding the mitt as a freshman. I understand getting shelled as a freshman, but I don't understand an SEC signee hitting his spots like Helen Keller.

RDawg90
06-16-2015, 08:36 PM
If Hudson and Houston take that next step and pitch to their + stuff (Hudson maybe ++), we're going back to Omaha with minimal improvement at the plate… Book that.

maroonmania
06-16-2015, 08:37 PM

That was exactly going to be my response, apparently we have guys getting ready to have their one good year as a JR.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Are you arguing that our class is on par with Vandy's? Because while ours is very good, Vandy's is just stupid with top talent. I understand why they're able to do it, but it still doesn't make sense to compare most of the guys we've had with what they've had.

We are increasing the talent level. With that, we should see more guys give us more good years.

No, I'm saying that Vanderbilt didn't start recruiting like that overnight all of a sudden and that it's a process. My point is we are on a path to get there over time as well. Remember when we lost out on Touki Touissant? Well, the first step is getting guys like that to commit. Now we're starting to see that with Fenter, Spaes, etc. and now the next step is getting them into school.

Now that we are putting guys into MLB- Lindgren, Graveman, and maybe Stratton pretty soon and if we get our guys like Hudson, Houston, Sexton, and Tatum drafted pretty high and people talk about all of the arms MSU has- it's going to have a good effect for us in recruiting.

I'm also saying that Vanderbilt has lost their share of guys over the years too- Touissant, Mookie Betts, Dylan Cease, etc. It's the cost of doing business.

Tbonewannabe
06-17-2015, 07:26 AM
No, I'm saying that Vanderbilt didn't start recruiting like that overnight all of a sudden and that it's a process. My point is we are on a path to get there over time as well. Remember when we lost out on Touki Touissant? Well, the first step is getting guys like that to commit. Now we're starting to see that with Fenter, Spaes, etc. and now the next step is getting them into school.

Now that we are putting guys into MLB- Lindgren, Graveman, and maybe Stratton pretty soon and if we get our guys like Hudson, Houston, Sexton, and Tatum drafted pretty high and people talk about all of the arms MSU has- it's going to have a good effect for us in recruiting.

I'm also saying that Vanderbilt has lost their share of guys over the years too- Touissant, Mookie Betts, Dylan Cease, etc. It's the cost of doing business.

High risk, high reward. If you get those high level guys you miss out on the mid level guys mostly because they know who is starting if they come here. When those guys go to MLB, who do you fill in shows how prepared you are.

KB21
06-17-2015, 07:57 AM
In 2012, Vanderbilt's recruiting class rated #1 in the country according to Collegiate Baseball News. They had 7 players drafted from that class that showed up to campus. This is the class that produced Walker Beuhler, Carson Fulmer, Dansby Swanson....etc.

In 2014, Vanderbilt's class rated 24th. Why? Because they lose Touki Toussiant, Cody Reed, Justus Sheffield, and Dylan Cease to the draft. So, Vandy has been hit hard by the draft as well. I think their class did not take a big hit this year, mostly because Cody Everett had some outrageous demands as far as his bonus and is represented by Scott Boras. They will also get the Jones kid from Columbus GA whose name escapes me right now.

In 2013, Mississippi State had the #2 recruiting class in the country, and this is the class that produced Hudson, Houston, Humphreys, Rooker....etc. IMO, the mistake made this year was not relying enough on this class to produce early. I said it before the season, for MSU to be its best, they needed Hudson, Sexton, and Tatum to step up and become the rotation. You can now throw Houston into that mix, but also now they need production from Humphreys, Rooker, and Gavin Collins.

The 2014 class was #6 in the country, so this team has talent on campus. The 2015 class will probably be top 5. Personally, I think we will start to see the results of stacking top class after top class this coming year.

messageboardsuperhero
06-17-2015, 08:30 AM
In 2012, Vanderbilt's recruiting class rated #1 in the country according to Collegiate Baseball News. They had 7 players drafted from that class that showed up to campus. This is the class that produced Walker Beuhler, Carson Fulmer, Dansby Swanson....etc.

In 2014, Vanderbilt's class rated 24th. Why? Because they lose Touki Toussiant, Cody Reed, Justus Sheffield, and Dylan Cease to the draft. So, Vandy has been hit hard by the draft as well. I think their class did not take a big hit this year, mostly because Cody Everett had some outrageous demands as far as his bonus and is represented by Scott Boras. They will also get the Jones kid from Columbus GA whose name escapes me right now.

In 2013, Mississippi State had the #2 recruiting class in the country, and this is the class that produced Hudson, Houston, Humphreys, Rooker....etc. IMO, the mistake made this year was not relying enough on this class to produce early. I said it before the season, for MSU to be its best, they needed Hudson, Sexton, and Tatum to step up and become the rotation. You can now throw Houston into that mix, but also now they need production from Humphreys, Rooker, and Gavin Collins.

The 2014 class was #6 in the country, so this team has talent on campus. The 2015 class will probably be top 5. Personally, I think we will start to see the results of stacking top class after top class this coming year.

In hindsight, both of the 2013 and 2014 classes were severely overrated- especially 2014 after losing Burdick and Vallot to the draft. I don't think 2014 was in the top 20 by anyone other than Collegiate Baseball, so their rankings are always pretty bullish on us.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2015, 09:15 AM
When you get them on campus you need to play them. We never let them play their way into their talent. They have to learn and part of that is failing when they are young. We do a terrible job of that. We have too many guys that just pop up as juniors or seniors and it's just "light finally came on" after spending summers away. The damn light needs to come on while they are in Starkville playing. Early.

maroonmania
06-17-2015, 09:17 AM

Its really all about the numbers, we are NOW starting to have classes like we've never had before. Yes, our current class lost 3 guys to the majors BUT we signed 13 players ranked in Perfect Game's top 500 HS players. Its when you sign 5 or 6 of those guys and lose 3 that it kills you. I don't have the stats on our recruiting over the last 10 years prior to this class but I doubt we've ever had more than 7 or 8 guys ranked that high in a class much less 13. Next year we already have 8 guys that are ranked in the PG 500 so if we can keep the talent pipeling coming in it WILL pay off. Even mediocre "developers" are going to flourish with enough talent on hand.

I seen it dawg
06-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Perfect Game has just become a cash cow. Their product is on the decline as far as their ratings.

messageboardsuperhero
06-17-2015, 09:37 AM
When you get them on campus you need to play them. We never let them play their way into their talent. They have to learn and part of that is failing when they are young. We do a terrible job of that. We have too many guys that just pop up as juniors or seniors and it's just "light finally came on" after spending summers away. The damn light needs to come on while they are in Starkville playing. Early.

Totally agree. We seem scared to play freshmen- and when we do play them, we put them in terrible situations that hurt their confidence.

maroonmania
06-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Perfect Game has just become a cash cow. Their product is on the decline as far as their ratings.

Well use anyone's ratings you want and we are now starting to get a lot more of the higher rated guys. There will always be busts but the higher number you get the more that you are going to hit on. Really Cohen has only had the program back on its feet for a few years and it really took the NC series run to get us back into the conversation of being a true baseball school with a lot of the recruits. Of course, another year like this year and we may be back to square one but right now we are still getting commits from some highly sought after players.

smootness
06-17-2015, 10:49 AM

I agree with you on all this. But if it's true that our recruiting has not been as good as Vandy's, at least until very recently, then why would people expect our guys to have success as early as the guys Vandy has brought in?

Irondawg
06-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Here is my question - the season was mere weeks ago. i find it hard to believe that these guys are suddenly unhittable when they could barely get innings on our staff. So was is misevaluation from our staff or are they simply facing lesser competition and/or are more relaxed?

messageboardsuperhero
06-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Here is my question - the season was mere weeks ago. i find it hard to believe that these guys are suddenly unhittable when they could barely get innings on our staff. So was is misevaluation from our staff or are they simply facing lesser competition and/or are more relaxed?

You're not going to find better competition in collegiate summer baseball than what our five main returning pitchers are facing. You don't get invited to the Cape Cod league unless A) scouts think you are a future draft prospect or B) you are a really good, experienced college baseball player.

I don't think there's any doubt- especially now looking back on it- that Houston, Hudson, and Brown should have gotten more of the innings that were given to Ross Mitchell, Laster and to a lesser extent Preston Brown. Our staff needs to quit with the "upperclassmen get every benefit of the doubt even if they are getting shelled" BS and just put the best players on the field. Watching Ross get trotted out there game after game when you knew he had nothing with the new ball was just sickening.

AlSwearengen
06-17-2015, 01:31 PM

This is the same question that I am asking. We are only two or three weeks removed from our last game. What the hell happened in that short time period?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-17-2015, 01:50 PM
This is the same question that I am asking. We are only two or three weeks removed from our last game. What the hell happened in that short time period?

It's been a month since the season ended & it's not like Houston, Hudson, Tatum, & Sexton didn't have really good moments throughout the year. The problem was consistency. They've only pitched once or twice so far this summer so we don't know if they've gotten that consistentcy but talent has never been an issue with these guys.

sandwolf
06-17-2015, 01:52 PM

Well Houston was pretty damn dominant during the last quarter of the season or so. And from what I remember, towards the end of the season Hudson looked like things were starting to come together for him too.

Tbonewannabe
06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Well Houston was pretty damn dominant during the last quarter of the season or so. And from what I remember, towards the end of the season Hudson looked like things were starting to come together for him too.

Hudson was pretty damn good the whole year. We were trotting Ross Mitchell out there when Hudson had one of the lowest ERA and best K/BB ratio on the team.

shoeless joe
06-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Just like in high school, summer league is a more relaxing environment. These kids are used to being evaluated and watched by scouts so that's no big deal. But the pressure of SEC baseball is real. I think this is where the lack of the Intense Bastard has hurt the team. Put pressure on players day after day in practice and they become used to it and can handle it during big moments. This is what Cohen teams were so good at until the last couple years.

Homedawg
06-17-2015, 02:49 PM
houston and Hudson both had trouble commanding the zone. Way too many walks. Both have good stuff. If command can continue to improve, they can be big time pitchers. The walks have to be cut in half at least though.

Homedawg
06-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Just like in high school, summer league is a more relaxing environment. These kids are used to being evaluated and watched by scouts so that's no big deal. But the pressure of SEC baseball is real. I think this is where the lack of the Intense Bastard has hurt the team. Put pressure on players day after day in practice and they become used to it and can handle it during big moments. This is what Cohen teams were so good at until the last couple years.
I'm not arguing at all, your point is well taken. However, I find it amusing that there are probably more people on the other side of the fence that say the reason we can't or didn't play well is because Cohen is too intense and "the boys can't have fun and are uptight". Either way, we have to play better, much better. I do think Cohen should just be who he is, and go from there. Trying to be mr good guy, when that's foreign to him doesn't work. Imo.

maroonmania
06-17-2015, 03:34 PM

Plus I assume the Cape is a wooden bat league. That might have the hitters at a bit of a disadvantage at least early on until they adjust.

Homedawg
06-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Plus I assume the Cape is a wooden bat league. That might have the hitters at a bit of a disadvantage at least early on until they adjust.

It is wooden bat. I think all of them are now.

Todd4State
06-17-2015, 05:05 PM

I do think pressure is an issue- the Cape is basically played at high school fields. But I think what happens a lot of times with pitcher is they are initially afraid to go inside to SEC hitters because of the metal bats and then they go to this wood bat league and then they kind of figure out that they can get people out by pitching inside and it carries over.

shoeless joe
06-17-2015, 10:18 PM

This is a good point.

shoeless joe
06-17-2015, 10:23 PM
I'm not arguing at all, your point is well taken. However, I find it amusing that there are probably more people on the other side of the fence that say the reason we can't or didn't play well is because Cohen is too intense and "the boys can't have fun and are uptight". Either way, we have to play better, much better. I do think Cohen should just be who he is, and go from there. Trying to be mr good guy, when that's foreign to him doesn't work. Imo.

I agree.

When big moments occurr, and they will, it's all about handling pressure. Someone who hadn't had to deal with it is more likely to fold than someone who deals with it on a daily basis. A coach's job is to put players in a position to get the best out of them, not be their buddy...but the thing is; the demanding coach's that put their players in a pressure cooker are generally appreciated more later on because real life IS a pressure cooker in many facets. The folks that want a buddy buddy good guy with no back bone will be the first to scream for their job when they aren't winning.