PDA

View Full Version : Auburn

RBritt
06-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Why is Auburn getting all this hype? People claim the Johnson kid is a world beater, Muschamp is the next Saban, etc.... I know Duke Williams will be hell but didn't they lose Marshall, Artis-Payne, Uzomah, and Quan Bray? Also didn't some stud DL that the Bears went all in on get the boot? Marshall made that O tick I don't see this new qb being that damn good, the D that improved, but we do play them there. Thoughts...

Covercorner2
06-16-2015, 10:10 AM
QB- check. Malzahn has success with pretty much anyone he throws out there, and JJ is probably the most talented guy he has had outside of Cam.
RB- check. Roc Thomas AND Jovon Robinson.
WR- check. Duke
OL- check.

DL- check. Montravius Adams, Carl Lawson, Byron Cowart, Swain etc.

Schedule- check. Easily the most favorable out of the SECW contenders. Bama, State, UGA, Ole Miss at home....

Their question marks are at DB and LB, but even there they return Mckinzy, Frost, Williams, Moncrief, Hosely, Ford, and add Tray Matthews. Plus I think the consensus is that Muschamp will drastically improve their defense.

But, ultimately, I think its their schedule.

5 Star
06-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Why is Auburn getting all this hype? People claim the Johnson kid is a world beater, Muschamp is the next Saban, etc.... I know Duke Williams will be hell but didn't they lose Marshall, Artis-Payne, Uzomah, and Quan Bray? Also didn't some stud DL that the Bears went all in on get the boot? Marshall made that O tick I don't see this new qb being that damn good, the D that improved, but we do play them there. Thoughts...
Johnson obviously brings a better arm but not near the running ability that Marshall had - he was very elusive AND fast, and honestly was an under-rated passer. Auburn is essentially getting hype because they always have talent (star-wise and other) and Malzahn is a very good coach. At the very least they will be a tough out. I expect to play them a good game, but expecting to win at their field is not practical.

Coach34
06-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Teams will have to out score Auburn on the Plains. Their Secondary will be vulnerable. Glad we get them fairly early. If they have injuries to the Secondary- things could unravel fast for them.

But make no mistake- their offense will rival ours for best in the SEC

Drugdog
06-16-2015, 10:34 AM
I believe we have:
A. The Talent to win at AU.
B. The mental ability.
C. Intangibles to win at AU.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 10:43 AM
I believe we have:
A. The Talent to win at AU.
B. The mental ability.
C. Intangibles to win at AU.

But will we get a fair shake from the officials? If it's a close game, don't be surprised if we get shafted badly by the refs at Auburn, particularly since Auburn is a preseason favorite as a NC-contender.

FlabLoser
06-16-2015, 10:48 AM
I hope we communicate in Choctaw so they don't intercept our headset communication again.

Drugdog
06-16-2015, 11:56 AM
But will we get a fair shake from the officials? If it's a close game, don't be surprised if we get shafted badly by the refs at Auburn, particularly since Auburn is a preseason favorite as a NC-contender.

So true. From headsets to first down measurements we have gotten screwed.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 12:03 PM
So true. From headsets to first down measurements we have gotten screwed.

This is the problem with coming into a season as the underdog. As much as some of you may like coming in that way, I think it makes us more susceptible to getting screwed by officials, whether intentionally or subconsciously where they are going to lean the blue-bloods way on close calls.

Sometimes it only takes one blown call to change the outcome of a game.

5 Star
06-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Imaginary audience. I've paid more attention to this since about 2009, when I felt Alabama was getting all the calls. I've discovered that officiating is pretty even across the board. I've seen MSU be screwed, and be helped. Plenty of times. I don't think there's an agenda out there by the SEC.

NCDawg
06-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Yeah. remember the measurement hat showed Auburn was clearly short of the first down. Refs said, "heck, that's close enough. First down".

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Yeah. remember the measurement hat showed Auburn was clearly short of the first down. Refs said, "heck, that's close enough. First down".

As I recall, the official also, "rolled" the ball forward a bit as they took the measurement. If you tilt a football forward, you WILL gain distance, and you really don't have to tilt it more than a very subtle amount to gain an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you've got a football at home, try it yourself. You'll probably be surprised by just how far forward it moves.

DistrictDawg92
06-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Imaginary audience. I've paid more attention to this since about 2009, when I felt Alabama was getting all the calls. I've discovered that officiating is pretty even across the board. I've seen MSU be screwed, and be helped. Plenty of times. I don't think there's an agenda out there by the SEC.

Just like any fan base, our bad calls are magnified and our good calls are quickly forgotten. The only agenda the SEC has is making money.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Just like any fan base, our bad calls are magnified and our good calls are quickly forgotten. The only agenda the SEC has is making money.

But I do believe the SEC has, "protected" some teams. It is in the league's best interests to have it's top teams not be upset by underdogs, because our top teams will bring in big time $'s with big-time bowls, etc.

I also truly believe the bluebloods get the benefit of the doubt on close calls, even if subconsciously.

Dawg496
06-16-2015, 02:24 PM
But I do believe the SEC has, "protected" some teams. It is in the league's best interests to have it's top teams not be upset by underdogs, because our top teams will bring in big time $'s with big-time bowls, etc.

I also truly believe the bluebloods get the benefit of the doubt on close calls, even if subconsciously.

Agreed completely. But I think we got some calls go our way when we vaulted up to #1 last season. So if we are a contender late in the season, that protection will be afforded to us, I fully believe that.

Vinsanity
06-16-2015, 02:40 PM
We really have to worry about the world's biggest jumbotron that they're building. That could seriously be a distraction.

DanDority
06-16-2015, 05:03 PM
I hope we communicate in Choctaw so they don't intercept our headset communication again.

+1^

Dawgcentral
06-16-2015, 05:22 PM
CDM seems to game plan pretty well for Malzhan's teams. It's been a close game the last few years, no matter where it's played.

Overcoming their HF advantage is a tall hill to climb. QB pressure and turnovers would be great. It could come down to who makes fewer mistakes. But really, if we could go over there and beat them after winning at home vs. LSU, (and that's certainly not a given), things are going to get as wooly as we've ever seen.

DistrictDawg92
06-16-2015, 05:41 PM
CDM seems to game plan pretty well for Malzhan's teams. It's been a close game the last few years, no matter where it's played.

Overcoming their HF advantage is a tall hill to climb. QB pressure and turnovers would be great. It could come down to who makes fewer mistakes. But really, if we could go over there and beat them after winning at home vs. LSU, (and that's certainly not a given), things are going to get as wooly as we've ever seen.

You mean as wooly as last year at that time? If we win the turnover battle and convert in the redzone against Auburn, the game is ours for the taking. I think if we beat LSU, that the winner of the State-Auburn game will have the Heisman front-runner and the best odds to win the West. I never said beating Auburn and LSU would be easy though. I honestly feel better about the game @Auburn than the game @Mizzou. Our all time record in away games west of the MS River has to be worst in the SEC. I guess the Indians still aren't over the Trail of Tears, although the win @LSU last year was an encouraging sign.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 05:43 PM

We beat them a couple of years ago if Redmond or Calhoun is on their WR instead of Giles.

Dawgcentral
06-16-2015, 05:51 PM
You mean as wooly as last year at that time? If we win the turnover battle and convert in the redzone against Auburn, the game is ours for the taking. I think if we beat LSU, that the winner of the State-Auburn game will have the Heisman front-runner and the best odds to win the West. I never said beating Auburn and LSU would be easy though. I honestly feel better about the game @Auburn than the game @Mizzou. Our all time record in away games west of the MS River has to be worst in the SEC. I guess the Indians still aren't over the Trail of Tears, although the win @LSU last year was an encouraging sign.

That's exactly what I mean. "As wooly" means just like last year. I'm convinced that we had a tremendous letdown after losing at Bama. Arkansas is another concern, even with Missouri out there. But 10-2 wins the West this year, and it'll come down to the tie break.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2015, 06:06 PM
We beat them a couple of years ago if Redmond or Calhoun is on their WR instead of Giles.

Redmond wasn't eligible yet. Also it wasn't a WR it was TE CJ Uzomah 6'5" 260lbs. Any of our DB would've had their hands full with a guy that size.

I seen it dawg
06-16-2015, 07:27 PM
State wins sec west