PDA

View Full Version : Tooting that horn again !!

notsofarawaydawg
06-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Still no proven development of a HS QB yet they are world champions (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/102586/take-two-which-sec-team-has-biggest-qb-commitment-for-2016)

FlabLoser
06-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Every. Single. Year. "THIS this guy, I promise, this time I mean it THIS is the QB that will lead us to glory!!"

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 10:28 AM
What an idiot! He praises, "Hugh Freeze and staff" for "plucking Patterson right out of LSU's own backyard", talks of Freeze's recruiting prowess, then completely ignores the fact that Ole Miss simply, "bought" Shea by hiring his brother Sean as an, "Associate Director for recruiting operations".

How can one give a writer credibility when he not only glosses over that inconvenient fact, but actually praises Ole Miss' staff for their recruiting ability in connection with Patterson?

MSUDawg99
06-16-2015, 10:31 AM
He's part of "The Network".

FlabLoser
06-16-2015, 10:46 AM
You're both correct.

I think many people misinterpret "Hugh Freeze is a great recruiter" to mean that "Hugh Freeze gives a hell of sales pitch in living rooms". Its much, much bigger than that.

"Hugh Freeze is a great recruiter" encompasses the network & everybody with an interest in Ole Miss athletics. Its not that Hugh is pulling each and every string. He's got the staff, the students, beat writers, everybody involved with athletics playing a some role in recruiting. Hell, he practically explained this at Pinelake in a different context - that is that EVERYBODY has a platform and its up to them to focus on and contribute through whatever their platform is (again...different context, same principle).

Of course its the savy to give jobs to family members, etc. It is also wherewithal to not only put Denzel Nkemdiche on scholly, but hype him to all-SEC despite having pedestrian numbers, and to have the stadium atmosphere put him in song lyrics to the "Feed Moncrief" song where they make a point to put him & Moncrief on the stadium video board while the stadium goes nuts over the hysteria that put into recruiting and glamorization of players.

Most coaches put fans in the role of selling tickets and being loud in the stadium. That's great. That's needed. But Hugh has everybody contributing through whatever their platform is. He's got the whole machine eating, breathing, and living for recruiting. While we sit and laugh at how they value that over winning on the field, that is what lands them highly ranked national recruits.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 11:02 AM
You're both correct.

I think many people misinterpret "Hugh Freeze is a great recruiter" to mean that "Hugh Freeze gives a hell of sales pitch in living rooms". Its much, much bigger than that.

"Hugh Freeze is a great recruiter" encompasses the network & everybody with an interest in Ole Miss athletics. Its not that Hugh is pulling each and every string. He's got the staff, the students, beat writers, everybody involved with athletics playing a some role in recruiting. Hell, he practically explained this at Pinelake in a different context - that is that EVERYBODY has a platform and its up to them to focus on and contribute through whatever their platform is (again...different context, same principle).

Of course its the savy to give jobs to family members, etc. It is also wherewithal to not only put Denzel Nkemdiche on scholly, but hype him to all-SEC despite having pedestrian numbers, and to have the stadium atmosphere put him in song lyrics to the "Feed Moncrief" song where they make a point to put him & Moncrief on the stadium video board while the stadium goes nuts over the hysteria that put into recruiting and glamorization of players.

Most coaches put fans in the role of selling tickets and being loud in the stadium. That's great. That's needed. But Hugh has everybody contributing through whatever their platform is. He's got the whole machine eating, breathing, and living for recruiting. While we sit and laugh at how they value that over winning on the field, that is what lands them highly ranked national recruits.

Agree with a lot of this. But hiring a family member is not, "savvy", it's not ingenious, creative, or any other such positive thing. It's borderline immoral and should be a rules violation. Anybody and his brother could do it if they're willing to take the guffaws, accusations, etc., and are willing to sacrifice their integrity. I hope we don't pull that crap.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Agree with a lot of this. But hiring a family member is not, "savvy", it's not ingenious, creative, or any other such positive thing. It's borderline immoral and should be a rules violation. Anybody and his brother could do it if they're willing to take the guffaws, accusations, etc., and are willing to sacrifice their integrity. I hope we don't pull that crap.

I don't agree with that. If Nigel Knott or AJ Brown had a brother who was in the coaching profession & was looking for a full time paying job & we had an opening if we didn't offer it to him I'd be upset. This is a multi-million/billion dollar business. You do what is necessary to give yourself the best chance to win. It's not like his brother was just some guy off the street he's actually qualified for the job.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 11:13 AM
I don't agree with that. If Nigel Knott or AJ Brown had a brother who was in the coaching profession & was looking for a full time paying job & we had an opening if we didn't offer it to him I'd be upset. This is a multi-million/billion dollar business. You do what is necessary to give yourself the best chance to win. It's not like his brother was just some guy off the street he's actually qualified for the job.

Did Ole Miss have an opening, or did they simply, "create" one?

Alldawg
06-16-2015, 11:14 AM

This, all day, every day.. I agree with Mullen. If I am not mistaken, several were calling to hire Newman's contact

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Did Ole Miss have an opening, or did they simply, "create" one?

They had an opening. When Tom Allen went to USF they replaced him with an office guy leaving a spot in the recruiting office open.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2015, 11:19 AM
This, all day, every day.. I agree with Mullen. If I am not mistaken, several were calling to hire Newman's contact

Right. To me hiring Horatio would've been way more shady or immoral or whatever word you want to use than OM hiring Patterson's brother. At the same time if that was what it would've taken to get Malik I probably would've done it too even though I wouldn't have agreed with it.

blacklistedbully
06-16-2015, 11:32 AM
They had an opening. When Tom Allen went to USF they replaced him with an office guy leaving a spot in the recruiting office open.

Fair enough.

maroonmania
06-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Right. To me hiring Horatio would've been way more shady or immoral or whatever word you want to use than OM hiring Patterson's brother. At the same time if that was what it would've taken to get Malik I probably would've done it too even though I wouldn't have agreed with it.

Well, I don't know. The main thing is did Patterson's brother have the qualifications for the job he was given at OM? At least if we had hired Horatio in some capacity he was a former MSU basketball player. I realize he wasn't currently in coaching but it wasn't like he was just some random Dad of a recruit out there.

LC Dawg
06-16-2015, 11:45 AM
What is the possibility that Shea Patterson's brother gets another job and takes Shea with him? I know the kid says his commitment is solid and he's recruiting for Ole Miss but this isn't his first commitment.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Well, I don't know. The main thing is did Patterson's brother have the qualifications for the job he was given at OM? At least if we had hired Horatio in some capacity he was a former MSU basketball player. I realize he wasn't currently in coaching but it wasn't like he was just some random Dad of a recruit out there.

Patterson's brother has been a GA at Arizona & LSU so yea I would say he's more qualified than Horatio. Horatio played college basketball almost 20yrs ago that doesn't make him qualified to be hired in the basketball dept & some said we should hire him as an assistant coach. It's not close to being similar.

MadDawg
06-16-2015, 12:25 PM
There really couldn't be a more diametrically opposed style of recruiting than what goes on in Starkville and Oxford. I think it was Matt Wyatt that put it this way - to Mullen recruiting is a necessary part of running a program, but it's not what he *likes* to do. He would rather be teaching the game, studying film or devising game plans and strategy. In Oxford, recruiting is #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 on Freeze's list of priorities. They wear the "recruiter" badge with honor and pride. There is nothing Freeze and his staff would rather be doing than recruiting 25 hours a day.

sandwolf
06-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Completely agree.