PDA

View Full Version : Podcast with McReady and Wright today

Coach34
06-15-2015, 10:11 AM
https://olemiss.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1775020

SDDawg
06-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Random thoughts from the podcast, I listened to most of it and will finish the rest a bit later:

- Those guys went out of their way to be professional, hat tip there. Definitely no craziness in the parts I listened to.
- They don't "get" Prescott at all. I don't think they're saying it to be provocative because they acknowledged he's the best in the SEC, but the whole line around "he's not a championship QB" is something they say because if they do admit he can win one, that's an admission that MSU has a chance and they can't/won't admit that.
- The Shea Patterson "5 years to play 4" vs. Dak's "1 year of eligibility" thing is red meat for their fans, it's so outlandish. You'd always take a proven winner in the conference over a high school kid and to say otherwise is silly. I think they softened that one up quite a bit and it's still a totally unrealistic statement.

I think they're following the Freeze line around OM: "they're flawed", "not close to a championship", etc. to keep expectations low. Coach, you handled yourself well and I agree with your comments on the SEC West- there is so much that can happen. I believe the season will come down to us on the plains. We win there, and we have a chance to match last year and possibly stretch beyond that. If we don't win there, things set up pretty well for Auburn.

FlabLoser
06-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Neal: Dak isn't a college natty championship caliber QB.

C34: Explains why he is.

Neal: But he got a bad NFL draft grade.

Ya see, that's Ole Miss folk. Prove they're wrong and they shift the argument to something else.

Liverpooldawg
06-15-2015, 12:09 PM
If UM doesn't win it all this year then Freeze is a total failure. They are loaded, just ask their fans.

CadaverDawg
06-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Random thoughts from the podcast, I listened to most of it and will finish the rest a bit later:

- Those guys went out of their way to be professional, hat tip there. Definitely no craziness in the parts I listened to.
- They don't "get" Prescott at all. I don't think they're saying it to be provocative because they acknowledged he's the best in the SEC, but the whole line around "he's not a championship QB" is something they say because if they do admit he can win one, that's an admission that MSU has a chance and they can't/won't admit that.
- The Shea Patterson "5 years to play 4" vs. Dak's "1 year of eligibility" thing is red meat for their fans, it's so outlandish. You'd always take a proven winner in the conference over a high school kid and to say otherwise is silly. I think they softened that one up quite a bit and it's still a totally unrealistic statement.

I think they're following the Freeze line around OM: "they're flawed", "not close to a championship", etc. to keep expectations low. Coach, you handled yourself well and I agree with your comments on the SEC West- there is so much that can happen. I believe the season will come down to us on the plains. We win there, and we have a chance to match last year and possibly stretch beyond that. If we don't win there, things set up pretty well for Auburn.

I agree with all of this^

Neal's "Dak can't make all the throws" as a reason he's "not a National Champ. caliber QB" is so stupid on his part. And Coach you nailed it....Tebow wasn't a good NFL QB that could make all the throws either, but he was still a National Champ. QB. Dak doesn't have the talent around him that Cardelle Jones, Tebow, etc have...that doesn't mean he's not a National Championship caliber QB. They went tard on those comments, but everything else was decent. Coach, you did well.

The Lord Humongous
06-15-2015, 12:17 PM
I agree with all of this^

Neal's "Dak can't make all the throws" as a reason he's "not a National Champ. caliber QB" is so stupid on his part. And Coach you nailed it....Tebow wasn't a good NFL QB that could make all the throws either, but he was still a National Champ. QB. Dak doesn't have the talent around him that Cardelle Jones, Tebow, etc have...that doesn't mean he's not a National Championship caliber QB. They went tard on those comments, but everything else was decent. Coach, you did well.

I think their impression is that the pieces missing in the offense, particularly the offensive line, wouldn't allow Dak to win a NC at Ole Miss. The part about "not able to make all the throws" comes about if you have to make all the throws all the time. Cardale Jones didn't have to make ALL the throws for Ohio St. Tim Tebow sure didn't at Florida. Give Dak a more improved O-line at Ole Miss, then ask the question about a NC.

Another missing question that I'd have returned with...."just what QB WOULD be a NC QB at Ole Miss this year?" I just don't see one out there and it's not about the QBs it's about the offensive line. For that matter it's about the running backs, too. The little back that had the long run in the Egg Bowl did it on a broken play. Those count. No way around it....but you can't predict that and you sure can't repeat it for 12-15 games which you need to have for a NC team.

LC Dawg
06-15-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't think Neal really wanted to debate the Dak thing very long because he knew he didn't have a lot of ammo.
One of the things I took from this is that these guys seem to actually give our team more respect than the national media. It's amazing that when you ask someone that actually knows a little about us they are more positive about our prospects than someone who is just reading #'s off a chart.

Coach34
06-15-2015, 01:00 PM
I thought it went pretty well but I still said "uhhh" too much. I got my points across for the most part. I did forget to remind them that as far as the "letter" goes- OM was investigated. Thats the only other thing I wish I had said.

Political Hack
06-15-2015, 01:15 PM
What does an NFL grade have to do with being a championship QB? Vince Young should've been a grade zero going into the NFL and he won a championship. Joe Flacco won an NFL championship and couldn't compete for the starting job at a major D1 school.

The two games a very different between the NFL and college. People that can't understand the transition from college to pro should not be allowed to make money from discussing football.

MSUDawg99
06-15-2015, 01:30 PM
I thought it went pretty well but I still said "uhhh" too much. I got my points across for the most part. I did forget to remind them that as far as the "letter" goes- OM was investigated. Thats the only other thing I wish I had said.

Tis why it's a good idea to write your talking points down on paper, big boy.

TXDawg
06-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Ironic that Neal "isn't a big believer in all that returning starter stuff" when it comes to discussing UM's O-Line.

Coach34
06-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Ironic that Neal "isn't a big believer in all that returning starter stuff" when it comes to discussing UM's O-Line.

cause he watched them all Spring...I think their OL will be better, but it still wont be "good"

BeardoMSU
06-15-2015, 03:01 PM
https://olemiss.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1775020

Good job Coach.

Tbonewannabe
06-15-2015, 03:24 PM
What does an NFL grade have to do with being a championship QB? Vince Young should've been a grade zero going into the NFL and he won a championship. Joe Flacco won an NFL championship and couldn't compete for the starting job at a major D1 school.

The two games a very different between the NFL and college. People that can't understand the transition from college to pro should not be allowed to make money from discussing football.

All that Draft grade crap comes down to one thing. 2 of the top 5 QBs in the last 10 years barely got drafted. Drew Brees and Tom Brady probably wouldn't get drafted but that turned out pretty good for the Saints and Patriots.

CadaverDawg
06-15-2015, 03:56 PM

Exactly. That was my point in the above post. Draft grade means nothing in terms of being a National Champioship caliber COLLEGE Quarterback. Weurffel, Tebow, Manziel, and the list goes on, of QB's that were legendary college QB's with poor NFL ability. Two totally different games, as you said Hack.

gravedigger
06-15-2015, 04:08 PM

Ding ding ding ding ding

Tbonewannabe
06-15-2015, 04:14 PM
You have to have the arm to really play in the league but almost as important is having the right head on your shoulders and the dedication. Look at the best in the game and they don't have much down time. They are year round working.

Todd4State
06-15-2015, 04:16 PM

FWIW I think they play Patterson as a true freshman. I think there are some promises that are being made and I don't think they have an answer at QB right now.

SDDawg
06-15-2015, 04:23 PM
FWIW I think they play Patterson as a true freshman. I think there are some promises that are being made and I don't think they have an answer at QB right now.

I hope they do. Would love to face a freshman QB the next time we play them in Oxford. And you may be right, they may really believe he's the answer even though all of their 2013 5 stars will be gone by then. Going to be an interesting couple of years for OM.

Coach34
06-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Exactly. That was my point in the above post. Draft grade means nothing in terms of being a National Champioship caliber COLLEGE Quarterback. Weurffel, Tebow, Manziel, and the list goes on, of QB's that were legendary college QB's with poor NFL ability. Two totally different games, as you said Hack.

This is also the point I keep trying to get across on the Treadwell/Wilson debate. You can spout all day about Treadwell possibly being a top 15 pick and Wilson maybe not picked until Round 3- but Wilson probably grabs 12 TD's this season to Treadwell's 7 or 8- and then they end up close on receptions and ypc. Production plays a part- not just draft grade

messageboardsuperhero
06-15-2015, 04:45 PM

Patterson will play as a true freshman- there's almost no doubt in my mind about that. I would be shocked if he didn't.

SDDawg
06-15-2015, 05:36 PM
After listening to the rest of Coach's comments and the portion immediately following, I'll say this: those guys are either completely sane or amazing actors. Very surprised, and pretty darn refreshing actually. There was very little that they said that I thought was completely unreasonable or inaccurate. Differing opinions of course, but they seemed to have their stuff together. Learn something new everyday. :)

Coach34
06-15-2015, 06:28 PM
I thought it went very well. No complaints

FlabLoser
06-15-2015, 06:30 PM
I thought Neal was pretty reasonable until he had us at .500 in the SEC.

Dawgcentral
06-15-2015, 06:39 PM
They seemed to do their best to be objective. Much more effort by them than I thought. The cohesion of the TSUN offensive line was where I thought you might be throwing them a bone. Surprised the possibility of an injury or two didn't come up. Wouldn't take much for them to be decimated.

I seen it dawg
06-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Patterson will play as a true freshman- there's almost no doubt in my mind about that. I would be shocked if he didn't.

He will at least show up for games as he wont be in jail

MedDawg
06-16-2015, 06:45 PM
This is also the point I keep trying to get across on the Treadwell/Wilson debate. You can spout all day about Treadwell possibly being a top 15 pick and Wilson maybe not picked until Round 3- but Wilson probably grabs 12 TD's this season to Treadwell's 7 or 8- and then they end up close on receptions and ypc. Production plays a part- not just draft grade

THIS.

Regarding college football discussions (and fandom)

College production >>>>>>>>> NFL production >>>> NFL draft position

I would rather have one (current/recent) national championship more than 20 NFL MVP's or 50 1st round draft choices.