PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Collins

bulldogcountry1
06-15-2015, 09:47 AM
I saw where he had some sort of surgery on his hand. Looks like he was battling that injury all year long. It's encouraging that he did as well as he did with a bad hand.

maroonmania
06-15-2015, 09:56 AM
I saw where he had some sort of surgery on his hand. Looks like he was battling that injury all year long. It's encouraging that he did as well as he did with a bad hand.

If Lovelady and Marrero are both available next spring I really wonder if Gavin should't be permanently moved to another position (possibly OF). He's not that great of an all-around catcher anyway and I'm just not sure how much more pounding he can take to that catching hand.

Tbonewannabe
06-15-2015, 10:00 AM
He definitely has the arm for RF. We have to have his bat in the lineup.

AlSwearengen
06-15-2015, 10:20 AM
I was told recently that Collins isn't going to play this summer, but have surgery on his hand again so that he will have plenty of time to heal.

Ralph
06-15-2015, 10:50 AM
I like Collins but I hope to never see him play C again. Watching most of the post season these catchers are head and shoulders above Collins defensively. Hopefully there's a spot in the OF for him.

I seen it dawg
06-15-2015, 02:39 PM
"You hit the ball, we find a place for you." -Albert Belle Sr. summer 1984

He will hit when healthy. He will play somewhere.

Tbonewannabe
06-15-2015, 03:15 PM
I like Collins but I hope to never see him play C again. Watching most of the post season these catchers are head and shoulders above Collins defensively. Hopefully there's a spot in the OF for him.

I don't know how he calls a game but blocking up skills seem less than what you want back there.

Todd4State
06-15-2015, 10:30 PM
I could see Gavin playing third base for us. That's a bigger need for us than OF- Humphreys, Robson, Smith, Cody Brown, Rooker, etc. Lovelady is an elite enough catcher, I would be OK with him or Marrero if he proves that he is ready.

Todd4State
06-15-2015, 10:31 PM
I was told recently that Collins isn't going to play this summer, but have surgery on his hand again so that he will have plenty of time to heal.

He had it yesterday.

KB21
06-16-2015, 07:50 AM
Collins to third is exactly what I was thinking. He played it some during high school. He has the arm and athletic actions for it as well. Let Lovelady catch and use Marrero mid week with the freshmen starters.

maroonmania
06-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Collins to third is exactly what I was thinking. He played it some during high school. He has the arm and athletic actions for it as well. Let Lovelady catch and use Marrero mid week with the freshmen starters.

No doubt 3rd base is a need but where you can sort of stick someone who is a decent fielder in the outfield and get by, you can't do that at 3rd because of that position being involved in so many plays and the reaction time and fielding ability needed. But, if he has some experience playing there before, it would certainly be worth a look. Only issue though is, unless the end of the year was a fluke, we need Luke Reynolds hitting in the lineup as well and that would be his position. To have our very best offensive lineup we likely do need Collins catching but with Collins' defensive lapses back there and now his bad hand we certainly need to keep our options open on that.

KB21
06-16-2015, 09:31 AM
No doubt 3rd base is a need but where you can sort of stick someone who is a decent fielder in the outfield and get by, you can't do that at 3rd because of that position being involved in so many plays and the reaction time and fielding ability needed. But, if he has some experience playing there before, it would certainly be worth a look. Only issue though is, unless the end of the year was a fluke, we need Luke Reynolds hitting in the lineup as well and that would be his position. To have our very best offensive lineup we likely do need Collins catching but with Collins' defensive lapses back there and now his bad hand we certainly need to keep out options open on that.

IMO, bats that need to be in the line up:

Gavin Collins
Reid Humphreys
Brent Rooker
Cole Gordon
Luke Reynolds
Nathaniel Lowe

5 Star
06-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Luke Reynolds is our 3B-man for the next year years, barring injury or him getting drafted. No point in discussing otherwise. Collins isn't playing there.

MsStateBaseball
06-16-2015, 01:40 PM
You guys must understand some players turned the corner, they found "it".

Reynolds has, Mike Smith has (although I think he had it all season).

Collins is the C.
Reynolds is the 3B or DH.
Rooker is LF or DH.
Smith is RF.

Just to name a few. Finally after all those good practices and reps.

smootness
06-16-2015, 02:06 PM
IMO, bats that need to be in the line up:

Gavin Collins
Reid Humphreys
Brent Rooker
Cole Gordon
Luke Reynolds
Nathaniel Lowe

The problem with this is, here are the positions these guys can reasonably play:

Collins - C/corner OF/maybe 3B
Humphreys - 1B/corner OF/maybe 3B
Rooker - 1B/corner OF
Gordon - 1B/maybe corner OF
Reynolds - 3B
Lowe - 1B/maybe corner OF

So best case, you could put Reynolds at 3B, Collins at C, Gordon at 1B, Rooker and Humphreys in the OF, and Lowe at DH. But then you have a very suspect defense all the way around.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I would not be real happy with us going out and getting Lowe only to have him sit on the bench behind Humphreys and Luke Reynolds. Lowe better be in the lineup at either first or DH.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
The problem with this is, here are the positions these guys can reasonably play:

Collins - C/corner OF/maybe 3B
Humphreys - 1B/corner OF/maybe 3B
Rooker - 1B/corner OF
Gordon - 1B/maybe corner OF
Reynolds - 3B
Lowe - 1B/maybe corner OF

So best case, you could put Reynolds at 3B, Collins at C, Gordon at 1B, Rooker and Humphreys in the OF, and Lowe at DH. But then you have a very suspect defense all the way around.

I'm not expecting Gordon to start next year unless he just breaks out. I do agree that would be our most powerful lineup though.

5 Star
06-16-2015, 03:48 PM
I would not be real happy with us going out and getting Lowe only to have him sit on the bench behind Humphreys and Luke Reynolds. Lowe better be in the lineup at either first or DH.
You are smoking crack if you think either Humphreys or Reynolds will be on the bench next spring. Reynolds has already proven himself and we have too much money in Humphreys, bottom line. Nate Lowe seems to me like a guy who will probably play some early because of how the ball flies out in RF early in the season, but in reality probably will truly help us as a full-time starter in 2017. I would not be surprised to see him redshirt, dependent on circumstances. He is obviously not far enough along in his development or the MLB would have taken a shot at him late in the draft.

Power is not going to be a problem next year with Humphreys, Collins and Rooker; however 2 of those guys could be drafted in next year's draft.

5 Star
06-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Collins is the C.
Reynolds is the 3B or DH.
Rooker is LF or DH.
Smith is RF.
I agree for the most part, although hasn't Rooker been practicing in RF? The OF will likely consist of he, Robson, Brown and Smith. We need at least 4.

MsStateBaseball
06-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Rooker can play both corners, Smith all 3.

Lowe won't start in the field, he will be LH pinch hitter and late inning sub. Later he may start at DH.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 04:17 PM
You are smoking crack if you think either Humphreys or Reynolds will be on the bench next spring. Reynolds has already proven himself and we have too much money in Humphreys, bottom line. Nate Lowe seems to me like a guy who will probably play some early because of how the ball flies out in RF early in the season, but in reality probably will truly help us as a full-time starter in 2017. I would not be surprised to see him redshirt, dependent on circumstances. He is obviously not far enough along in his development or the MLB would have taken a shot at him late in the draft.

Power is not going to be a problem next year with Humphreys, Collins and Rooker; however 2 of those guys could be drafted in next year's draft.

We're definitely crowded at some positions. In hindsight, we should have recruited someone with Lowe's power that could play third base rather than first base.

The dilemma is do you sit a proven hitter in Reynolds, a guy that has a lot of money tied up into him in Humphreys who hasn't shown that he can hit for average, or a JUCO guy that you brought in for all intent and purposes to contribute immediately? I'm not smoking crack as much as I'm saying something has to give somewhere.

Humphreys playing first in the Cape pretty much tells us where he is going to play next year. Not to mention his step brother can give him some pointers. We may have to keep Collins at catcher to keep all of our bats in.

I could see us trying Michael Smith at second base as well to try to get everyone in, but at the same time Holland has been hitting very well this summer.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 04:17 PM
I agree for the most part, although hasn't Rooker been practicing in RF? The OF will likely consist of he, Robson, Brown and Smith. We need at least 4.

I think Rooker has been more of a LF for us than anything. I think he can handle RF if we wanted him to.

5 Star
06-16-2015, 04:26 PM
We're definitely crowded at some positions. In hindsight, we should have recruited someone with Lowe's power that could play third base rather than first base.
I am not nearly as concerned about power as some of you fellas.

The dilemma is do you sit a proven hitter in Reynolds, a guy that has a lot of money tied up into him in Humphreys who hasn't shown that he can hit for average, or a JUCO guy that you brought in for all intent and purposes to contribute immediately?
I see no dilemma. Humphreys and Reynolds are your starters unless Lowe beats them out. Win/Win. I am just going by proven talent (field/draft-worthy) over JUCOs. JUCOs tend to need a year or so.

I could see us trying Michael Smith at second base as well to try to get everyone in, but at the same time Holland has been hitting very well this summer.
Kinda random, but OK. Just like 1B/3B, our middle infield is pretty set in stone unless some freshman comes along and proves he has to play. I don't see it in 2016. I think the only freshmen that really contribute heavily will be the pitchers.

Coach34
06-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Hump is playing 1st this summer because he is being slotted to play 1st this Spring. Its not hard to figure out

MsStateBaseball
06-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Lowe won't start in the field, he will be LH pinch hitter and late inning sub. Later he may start at DH.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 05:15 PM
I am not nearly as concerned about power as some of you fellas. I'm not concerned about power for next year, but I am three years down the road. Losing Riley was a huge blow.

I see no dilemma. Humphreys and Reynolds are your starters unless Lowe beats them out. Win/Win. I am just going by proven talent (field/draft-worthy) over JUCOs. JUCOs tend to need a year or so. Which is why I have been telling people to pump the brakes on him and also a big reason why I am not a fan JUCO's.

Kinda random, but OK. Just like 1B/3B, our middle infield is pretty set in stone unless some freshman comes along and proves he has to play. I don't see it in 2016. I think the only freshmen that really contribute heavily will be the pitchers. If Holland struggles at the plate again, I could see Luke Alexander playing a good bit. But Holland is hitting well, so we'll see if that carries over. I'm putting Smith at second out there because it's a possibility if again Holland struggles and we need a spot to get another bat in the lineup.

I believe that if you are going to recruit a JUCO, they should be expected to come in and play right away. The exceptions being if they are a preferred walk-on, a sidearmer, or a back-up catcher.

Todd4State
06-16-2015, 05:18 PM

If that's the case, we shouldn't have taken him. At the very least, he needs to start at DH. Otherwise, we're getting maybe a year out of him at most.