PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Benintendi raises avg 100 PT's and gore from 1 to 20 HR.. Why??

RougeDawg
06-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Yes for ReallyClark he did work out and put on muscle so let's get the "captain obvious" rebuttals out of the way.

Can anyone that watched Arkansas game yesterday elaborate on the real difference in this year and last? Why did he all of a sudden become a hitting machine? This is an open topic but the answer to this question will further explain our hitting problems. It suggests a lack of something very important to the game of baseball. I will let everyone ponder but his changes stem from the very area where I learned how to hit and read the pitches/pitchers.

maroonmania
06-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Per this board, jumps in hitting statistics like that can only be explained by steroids. So Benintendi gotta be juicing **

5 Star
06-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Mainly because he was always a talented hitter, but he was one year older, wiser and more developed. Spare us all the idiotic explanations of hitting mechanics. You wannabes take this stuff too seriously, it's much simpler than you want it to be.

The guy batted .564 with 12 bombs and was Ohio POY his senior year of high school. He didn't get 'coached up' suddenly, his talent was always there. You know who had similar high school numbers? Reid Humphreys.

You and Smitty are the most argumentative and annoying baseball posters I have ever witnessed. I personally think you're just trying to prove something to yourselves.

ScottH
06-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Possibly:

1. Went to Deggs' summer camp on "Best Supplements for Hitting"?
2. Went to Godwin's summer camp on "Best Practices bat rolling BBCORs"?

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 12:31 PM
It helps having a coach that doesn't tell the players and media that the balls are not going to fly out of their home ballpark.

shoeless joe
06-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Pre load hand position!!!!

What do I win?!?!?

MSUDawg4Life
06-14-2015, 12:43 PM
It has to be his bat. From what I've gathered on this board, that can be the only explanation.

That and he doesn't bunt.*

5 Star
06-14-2015, 12:47 PM
It helps having a coach that doesn't tell the players and media that the balls are not going to fly out of their home ballpark.
Why do you insist on ignoring facts? On average, balls do not leave DNF as much as others. This can't be challenged.

Cabo32
06-14-2015, 12:47 PM
He changed the way he grips the bat?

Preload hand position ?!?!

I know what it really was...he spent time pounding fuzz and Busch lights with legendary coach Kent Murphy..coach Murphy didn't have to teach him anything..his awesomeness was absorbed by benintendi

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 01:07 PM
I don't disagree with you, but a lot of hitting is your mental approach and having someone tell you that you can't do something probably doesn't help the cause.

engie
06-14-2015, 01:17 PM
I don't disagree with you, but a lot of hitting is your mental approach and having someone tell you that you can't do something probably doesn't help the cause.

In the minds of ******s maybe. If you want to argue that we've apparently recruited a bunch of those, I won't argue about that.

For every person this nonsense "holds back", there is another one it pisses off and makes better. It's what's so funny about the "one size fits all" approach to a portion of our fanbase

scottycameron
06-14-2015, 01:18 PM
He got Lasik surgery last summer.

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Per a player on our team, Cohen tells the guys to "flick" the ball through the middle of the infield. Had him tell me that to my face. That's not an aggressive approach. That's not a power approach. I'm a Cohen guy, but our baseball coaches at MSU are not above criticism. Some people really get butt hurt on here.

5 Star
06-14-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm a Cohen guy, but our baseball coaches at MSU are not above criticism. Some people really get butt hurt on here.
Of course they aren't. Just use actual facts when you criticize. You know you were wrong because now you have started the name-calling.

By the way, I have heard the same about Cohen pushing for up the middle hitting. I don't know how true it is, though, so I won't criticize anyone for it. It may be a good strategy for all I know.

smootness
06-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Of course they aren't. Just use actual facts when you criticize. You know you were wrong because now you have started the name-calling.

By the way, I have heard the same about Cohen pushing for up the middle hitting. I don't know how true it is, though, so I won't criticize anyone for it. It may be a good strategy for all I know.

If he does say this, it's probably only to certain players and at certain times. He clearly didn't tell Renfroe to flick it up the middle.

If a guy is slumping and trying to turn on everything, that can be good advice to just see the bag hit the ball and gain some confidence.

Tbonewannabe
06-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a good strategy if you plan on stealing a lot of bases and hit and run to make up for lack of xbh.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Yes for ReallyClark he did work out and put on muscle so let's get the "captain obvious" rebuttals out of the way.

Can anyone that watched Arkansas game yesterday elaborate on the real difference in this year and last? Why did he all of a sudden become a hitting machine? This is an open topic but the answer to this question will further explain our hitting problems. It suggests a lack of something very important to the game of baseball. I will let everyone ponder but his changes stem from the very area where I learned how to hit and read the pitches/pitchers.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the answer is "he started gripping, standing, and swinging the way Rougedawg has been screaming at his TV & computer all year"?

I know that answer is wrong, but it is undoubtedly what you're looking for, and what you're going to tell us somewhere later in this thread.

Amirite?

Really Clark?
06-14-2015, 01:51 PM

You are going to call me out as captain obvious? When have I ever rebutted your idiotic hitting diatribes with just obvious stuff. If anything I type way too much and its not all obvious. Especially for you. How bout you stick on what you said prior post weeks ago, not commenting on hitting fundamentals since we know you don't have a clue but are just a condescending amateur. Stick with that and don't call me out, spend time learning real fundamentals of a swing. If you are teaching swings, which I would be shocked if you do. Which leads to if you know so much go teach and let's see what your hitters can do.

He could hit in high school with power. He had 12 hr his senior. He needed refinement and adjustment to the SEC pitching. We had a little discussion on him the other day. I was actually surprised he didn't have more HR his first year but the potential was there. But he has turned in a great year. Really turned it up.

Smitty
06-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Per a player on our team, Cohen tells the guys to "flick" the ball through the middle of the infield. Had him tell me that to my face. That's not an aggressive approach. That's not a power approach. I'm a Cohen guy, but our baseball coaches at MSU are not above criticism. Some people really get butt hurt on here.

This claim is never addressed from the Cohen bootlickers

Dawg61
06-14-2015, 02:13 PM

He finally got a gold card to GNC

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-14-2015, 02:29 PM

I've heard the exact same thing from people on the team.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2015, 02:41 PM
He lived with you all summer?

I seen it dawg
06-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Mainly because he was always a talented hitter, but he was one year older, wiser and more developed. Spare us all the idiotic explanations of hitting mechanics. You wannabes take this stuff too seriously, it's much simpler than you want it to be.

The guy batted .564 with 12 bombs and was Ohio POY his senior year of high school. He didn't get 'coached up' suddenly, his talent was always there. You know who had similar high school numbers? Reid Humphreys.

You and Smitty are the most argumentative and annoying baseball posters I have ever witnessed. I personally think you're just trying to prove something to yourselves.

Excellent and accurate. Also he had hand surgery which he recovered fully from.

Coach34
06-14-2015, 03:11 PM

That is what I always taught as a 2-strike approach- dont pull off the ball and think gap to gap. Keeps you from getting amped and being fooled by offspeed. I cant even fathom that being our overall philosophy at the plate.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Funny this use the middle of the field talk comes up. Guess nobody was watching the glorious o'sullivan talk about why his team had such a big 4th inning, and I paraphrase,( because we started trying to use the middle of the field and quit trying to pull the ball) it's a common coaching theme except when we use it.

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 03:31 PM
The common theme is not flicking the ball and hitting a medium ground ball and using our dynamic speed to beat out an infield single. Staying through the middle in an approach is fine, but trying to hit a sand wedge fade ground ball is not.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Funny this use the middle of the field talk comes up. Guess nobody was watching the glorious o'sullivan talk about why his team had such a big 4th inning, and I paraphrase,( because we started trying to use the middle of the field and quit trying to pull the ball) it's a common coaching theme except when we use it.
I've been told that in batting practice Cohen has a points system for each swing. In this points system a ball that hits off the L screen, regardless of how hard it is hit, has a higher value than a line drive off the left field wall. Teaching hitters to hit the ball up the middle is pretty much a universal hitting philosophy in baseball, as it should be. But its a problem to me when getting shafted and hitting a floater into the L screen is rewarded more than drilling the ball. It sends the wrong message to the hitters and doesn't encourage them to take aggressive swings.

Smitty
06-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Using the middle of the field and everyone try to swing like Ichiro are not the same.

It's well established Cohen and crew are not on SEC level offensively. We at least have a track record of success with Butch, overall pitching has been good. Overall hitting has not.

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 04:03 PM
People on this board will swear that you are lying, but that is 100% fact.
I've been told that in batting practice Cohen has a points system for each swing. In this points system a ball that hits off the L screen, regardless of how hard it is hit, has a higher value than a line drive off the left field wall. Teaching hitters to hit the ball up the middle is pretty much a universal hitting philosophy in baseball, as it should be. But its a problem to me when getting shafted and hitting a floater into the L screen is rewarded more than drilling the ball. It sends the wrong message to the hitters and doesn't encourage them to take aggressive swings.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Using the middle of the field and everyone try to swing like Ichiro are not the same.

It's well established Cohen and crew are not on SEC level offensively. We at least have a track record of success with Butch, overall pitching has been good. Overall hitting has not.

Correct and we aren't teaching everyone to hit like ichiro either. Our hitting wasn't up to par, neither was our pitching, with that said you don't know jack shit about either.

Smitty
06-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Homedawg never misses a chance to promote the genius of Cohen

Coach34
06-14-2015, 05:17 PM
I've been told that in batting practice Cohen has a points system for each swing.

Ron Polk was doing this 30 years ago

Smitty
06-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Ron Polk was doing this 30 years ago

The thing isn't the points system. It's how the things are valued in Cohens system

engie
06-14-2015, 05:30 PM
The thing isn't the points system. It's how the things are valued in Cohens system

Also lifted directly from Polk.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2015, 05:46 PM

You are incorrect there was no promotion there. It was strictly saying how you don't know jack shit. Stop deflecting from yourself.

scottycameron
06-14-2015, 05:52 PM
You are incorrect there was no promotion there. It was strictly saying how you don't know jack shit. Stop deflecting from yourself.

You're homedawg? Maybe that is known, sorry if I'm behind.

I seen it dawg
06-14-2015, 05:59 PM
You're homedawg? Maybe that is known, sorry if I'm behind.

No

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 06:03 PM

This.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 06:07 PM

Your response shows you know nothing. I simply said we didn't teach everyone to hit like ichiro. Which clearly isnt true. I say our hitting nor our pitching was up to par- you say I run to defend Cohen. How? I said we weren't good? We have to be better!!! Period. I'd love to be locked in a room w you to talk baseball- I'd have a field day w your ass. And absolute field day.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Partially true, coach Polk had a point system for each swing during a game. He didn't have one for batting practice. Just for clarification

MabenMaroon
06-14-2015, 06:14 PM
I am pretty sure that Benintindi's stats were drastically better because he hit the ball a lot better. Pretty simple!**

engie
06-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Partially true, coach Polk had a point system for each swing during a game. He didn't have one for batting practice. Just for clarification

Polk did use one for BP. Double pointed for the L-Screen just like Cohen's is accused of doing. It was lifted directly off Polk and used by my HS coach who had been a Polk GA. That coach pumped through 5 or 6 ready-made all-SEC guys in a few year stretch there, so it obviously screwed up their strokes**

The specific times in his career that Polk used it -- I don't pretend to know. But he did teach and use it at one point in time before he got lazy.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 06:48 PM
He did use one for BP. Double pointed for the L-Screen...

Um no he didn't......
Had the pr system for all intersquads and games. All swings. No point system on bp or practice swings in the cage. I'll leave it at that. If you'd like to argue further I'd love to take you up on it.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Polk did use one for BP. Double pointed for the L-Screen just like Cohen's is accused of doing. It was lifted directly off Polk and used by my HS coach who had been a Polk GA. That coach pumped through 5 or 6 ready-made all-SEC guys in a few year stretch there, so it obviously screwed up their strokes**

The specific times in his career that Polk used it -- I don't pretend to know. But he did teach and use it at one point in time before he got lazy.

Coach y might have used that but it wasn't used at state. Y was good coach- not shocked he had a good system of tracking bp. But that didn't come from rp.

engie
06-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Um no he didn't......
Had the pr system for all intersquads and games. All swings. No point system on bp or practice swings in the cage. I'll leave it at that. If you'd like to argue further I'd love to take you up on it.

It came directly from Polk. If you'd like to make the call and ask where it came from -- you are welcome to make that call.

Unless you practiced with Polk every day for 30 years -- there is no way you can possibly know what you pretend to know. And I don't even see the point in you pretending to want to argue about it.

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2015, 06:55 PM
It's been fun reading these answers. Here is the correct answer.

In high school Benintendi weighed 160 pounds and hit 11 HRs his Jr year of high school and 12 his Sr year, while also becoming 2nd all time for hits in Ohio high school baseball. Furthermore, while weighing 160 pounds, Benintendi is 3rd all time in doubles for the Midland Redskins ( the East Cobb for the Midwest) behind Jay Payton and Nate McClouth.

After arriving at Arkansas in the fall of 2013, Benintendi had hamate bone problems and had it removed in December of 2013. Hamate bone removal is know to sap ones power for a year and Benintendi couldn't start swinging a bat till mid January prior to the 2014 season. Then right as he was gaining strength in his hands, he pulled his quad in April of 2014.

With these injuries, he took the summer off and gained 20 pounds. With the extra strength and slightly closing his stance to create more torque, an elite hitter's doubles became home runs

That's the story.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 07:03 PM
It came directly from Polk. If you'd like to make the call and ask where it came from -- you are welcome to make that call.

Unless you practiced with Polk every day for 30 years -- there is no way you can possibly know what you pretend to know. And I don't even see the point in you pretending to want to argue about it.

I don't want to argue- apparently you do- coach Polk was the biggest creature of habit ever. He did everything the same every single year. Everything. Once his book came out, and that was way pre coach Y, he didn't change jack. I mean nothing. Signals nothing. It took him a over a decade to change his indicator. His INDiCATOR. Signs never changed. Bunt defense, 1st and 3rd nothing. Like I said, coach Y was a good coach and he came up w it or he got it from someone else.

Bucky Dog
06-14-2015, 07:12 PM
It's been fun reading these answers. Here is the correct answer.

In high school Benintendi weighed 160 pounds and hit 11 HRs his Jr year of high school and 12 his Sr year, while also becoming 2nd all time for hits in Ohio high school baseball. Furthermore, while weighing 160 pounds, Benintendi is 3rd all time in doubles for the Midland Redskins ( the East Cobb for the Midwest) behind Jay Payton and Nate McClouth.

After arriving at Arkansas in the fall of 2013, Benintendi had hamate bone problems and had it removed in December of 2013. Hamate bone removal is know to sap ones power for a year and Benintendi couldn't start swinging a bat till mid January prior to the 2014 season. Then right as he was gaining strength in his hands, he pulled his quad in April of 2014.

With these injuries, he took the summer off and gained 20 pounds. With the extra strength and slightly closing his stance to create more torque, an elite hitter's doubles became home runs

That's the story.

You forgot proper pre load position!**. But seriously, it is very simple. He put on muscle, and caught up to SEC pitching, after his injury. Sounds a little like Renfroe.

shoeless joe
06-14-2015, 07:17 PM
It came directly from Polk.

This is true...

I prefer not to get into a "who has a bigger baseball knowledge pecker" contest but engie is correct on this one.

The system was and is used to promote a palm up/palm down, stay inside the baseball approach to hitting. That's it. It's no secret taboo system that proves Cohen is clueless and can't coach. So apologies to the agenda mafia.

Coach34
06-14-2015, 07:19 PM
I love watching posters argue with guys that used to coach camps at State and were very close to the program.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 07:20 PM
This is true...

I prefer not to get into a "who has a bigger baseball knowledge pecker" contest but engie is correct on this one.

Ok whatever. Best I can tell I'm the only one out of the two of us, me and engine, who played for Polk. So I as much as I think you are an ok poster, in this case, I would respectfully disagree. Also, I was there when coach Y was so.....well maybe just maybe I know.

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 07:27 PM
And argue with people who talk to players currently on the team.
I love watching posters argue with guys that used to coach camps at State and were very close to the program.

5 Star
06-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Your response shows you know nothing. I simply said we didn't teach everyone to hit like ichiro. Which clearly isnt true. I say our hitting nor our pitching was up to par- you say I run to defend Cohen. How? I said we weren't good? We have to be better!!! Period. I'd love to be locked in a room w you to talk baseball- I'd have a field day w your ass. And absolute field day.
You don't know anything about sitting dead red on the curveball. Neither does Chipper Jones. But Smitty does.

engie
06-14-2015, 07:28 PM
So, he did everything the same? You are saying that he never left campus to recruit in his entire tenure then, correct? Think about it.

Polk was definitely a creature of habit -- but he absolutely did not do everything exactly the same way for his entire tenure. You are arguing omniscience on something that we got directly from Polk during his 98-99 hiatus from coaching and incorporated from then on. It wasn't something picked up and incorporated along the way from Bertman, etc even though there was plenty of that type of stuff, it was something that Coach Polk literally taught us as a team himself while he was making his rounds during his retirement. As I said the first time -- I don't pretend to know what years he used it -- but he certainly taught it -- and Polk and Raffo spent quite a bit of time on l-screen/back-of-cage teaching/reinforcement throughout the time I was coming through.

What the geniuses in this thread apparently don't realize is that it wasn't about learning to be a "slap" hitter and it wasn't about removing power. It did neither -- in spite of them trying to will that into reality. It was about teaching bat control. And it was pretty damn effective in that regard.

Coach34
06-14-2015, 07:33 PM

Nobody talks to them more than Homedawg does- I assure you

5 Star
06-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I don't care who you talk to. I was arguing with this:

You're wrong and you know it. Seems to me it helps to have a coach who realizes reality and goes along with it, not against it. Especially in an era of college baseball where it is extremely difficult to get elite hitters to campus.

Your pals on the team must be the ones I heard about - the ones who cry and cower every time Cohen gets on their ass.

shoeless joe
06-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Ok whatever. Best I can tell I'm the only one out of the two of us, me and engine, who played for Polk. So I as much as I think you are an ok poster, in this case, I would respectfully disagree. Also, I was there when coach Y was so.....well maybe just maybe I know.

Fair enough...

For the record i enjoy engie being wrong as much as the next guy; but in this case what I saw, heard, and experienced myself goes rite along with what he is stating. I won't question your first hand experiences...but I am just stating mine.

And this side argument really isn't the main point...which is the folks trying to use this to "prove" Cohen is a terrible coach.

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Don't know why this fact makes so many angry on here. I'm not happy about it and hope it changes and I expect that it will. We also had an exorbitant amount of guys faking injuries or claiming that they had minor injuries. IF that was true, that was a major problem.

5 Star
06-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Don't know why this fact makes so many angry on here. I'm not happy about it and hope it changes and I expect that it will. We also had an exorbitant amount of guys faking injuries or claiming that they had minor injuries. IF that was true, that was a major problem.
Sounds like you are letting your emotions get the best of you. Exhibit 1: Your ears are closed to the guys that are pointing out the true facts. Exhibit 2: You are claiming things (fake injuries) that you yourself just admitted you don't know (see the bolded "IF").

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 07:51 PM
So, he did everything the same? You are saying that he never left campus to recruit in his entire tenure then, correct? Think about it.

Polk was definitely a creature of habit -- but he absolutely did not do everything exactly the same way for his entire tenure. You are arguing omniscience on something that we got directly from Polk during his 98-99 hiatus from coaching and incorporated from then on. It wasn't something picked up and incorporated along the way from Bertman, etc even though there was plenty of that type of stuff, it was something that Coach Polk literally taught us as a team himself while he was making his rounds during his retirement. As I said the first time -- I don't pretend to know what years he used it -- but he certainly taught it -- and Polk and Raffo spent quite a bit of time on l-screen/back-of-cage teaching/reinforcement throughout the time I was coming through.

What the geniuses in this thread apparently don't realize is that it wasn't about learning to be a "slap" hitter and it wasn't about removing power. It did neither -- in spite of them trying to will that into reality. It was about teaching bat control. And it was pretty damn effective in that regard.

I'm not claiming to be omniscient about coach Polk, however, I was saying he didn't do it at state during any year coach y was there. And I went to many practices in Polk II and they did absolutely nothing different than the previous time he was there. And I mean nothing......now with all that said, I have no doubt that Y did what you said. None. Also, playing for him and being a good player I have no doubt you know the game- you've shown that. And on this convo we can agree that using the middle of the field is a good thing, just pull the inside stuff.

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 07:53 PM
5-star, I hope y'all have a better season next year and we are all pulling for y'all to get better as a team.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Haha, if this thread doesn't teach some of our local "know-it-all's" to gain a little humility and to quit stating everything as fact, nothing will. Lesson: There's always someone out there that knows more than you, so STFU with your smugness. Haha

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm not being smug. When a player tells me something, I take that as a pretty good source. Whether that is positive or negative info, its a solid source. With MSU Baseball, we have fans that think that the coach and players are untouchable when it comes to philosophy, approach, effort, or performance. If it's football or hoops, they are fair game, players and coaches. It's bullshit. I am a Cohen fan and I truly believe that this season was just a mixture of poor leadership that began in the fall, along with lesser talent and a barren bullpen. Cohen will recruit us out of this hole. Hopefully next year is successful or we will have to be making a change at the top and I don't want that to happen.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm not being smug. When a player tells me something, I take that as a pretty good source. Whether that is positive or negative info, its a solid source. With MSU Baseball, we have fans that think that the coach and players are untouchable when it comes to philosophy, approach, effort, or performance. If it's football or hoops, they are fair game, players and coaches. It's bullshit. I am a Cohen fan and I truly believe that this season was just a mixture of poor leadership that began in the fall, along with lesser talent and a barren bullpen. Cohen will recruit us out of this hole. Hopefully next year is successful or we will have to be making a change at the top and I don't want that to happen.

Man, I wasn't talking about you. I think I just replied to the last message. Def not directed at you, ha

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 08:18 PM
No worries Cadaver. Just a lot of bitching in this thread, and I'm as guilty as any of them. Just relaying info as I've heard it first hand and that's why Coach 34 created this board in the first place.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2015, 08:23 PM
No worries Cadaver. Just a lot of bitching in this thread, and I'm as guilty as any of them. Just relaying info as I've heard it first hand and that's why Coach 34 created this board in the first place.

Yep, rumors and hearsay are great...I just wish some would quit acting like their hearsay is so much better and smarter than others hearsay, ha. Nobody is in all meetings and practices, so unless someone in this thread is Cohen or Polk, the treating people like they're stupid should stop. I have no dog in this fight, I just think it's funny and a good dose of reality to some of the self proclaimed geniuses. High quality entertainment, ha

Jacksondevildog
06-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Agree with you. Some people don't like to hear the truth or what could be the truth. Some on this board could walk in and find their wife with someone else and they would deny it or claim that Polk did the same back in the day (even though he never got married).

shoeless joe
06-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Haha, if this thread doesn't teach some of our local "know-it-all's" to gain a little humility and to quit stating everything as fact, nothing will. Lesson: There's always someone out there that knows more than you, so STFU with your smugness. Haha

I typically only post what I know first hand or got from someone I consider reliable...which isn't much. But I will defend engie on this one. I know nothin about his coach Y assertion but I experienced first hand a coach explaining, showing, and then I participated in the drill. This was a MSU coach at the time under Polk. So take from that what you will...but those are FACTS.

I generally agree with,and respect, your posts as well as homedawgs...but I think your off base on this one.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 08:39 PM
I typically only post what I know first hand or got from someone I consider reliable...which isn't much. But I will defend engie on this one. I know nothin about his coach Y assertion but I experienced first hand a coach explaining, showing, and then I participated in the drill. This was a MSU coach at the time under Polk. So take from that what you will...but those are FACTS.

I generally agree with,and respect, your posts as well as homedawgs...but I think your off base on this one.

Yeah, so because you were there for a month and I was there 5 years, you know more, makes good sense. Real good.

Smitty
06-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Yeah Cad the smug is falling hard in this one. Shoeless tries to come to Engines rescue and gets smacked down too.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Yeah Cad the smug is falling hard in this one. Shoeless tries to come to Engines rescue and gets smacked down too.
I really don't know what you are talking about. Engine, doesn't need a rescue, he played the game and has a clue, you On the other hand.....are clueless

shoeless joe
06-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah, so because you were there for a month and I was there 5 years, you know more, makes good sense. Real good.

You obviously took offense to me posting my personal experience. Not sure why, no where have I been disrespectful to any one in this discussion, because I only know what I know...can't speak for others.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 09:08 PM
You obviously took offense to me posting my personal experience. Not sure why, no where have I been disrespectful to any one in this discussion, because I only know what I know...can't speak for others.
I took offense? Well maybe. Considering, I played for coach Polk while coach y was there.... Side w engie if you choose. Whatever.

engie
06-14-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm not claiming to be omniscient about coach Polk, however, I was saying he didn't do it at state during any year coach y was there. And I went to many practices in Polk II and they did absolutely nothing different than the previous time he was there. And I mean nothing......now with all that said, I have no doubt that Y did what you said. None. Also, playing for him and being a good player I have no doubt you know the game- you've shown that. And on this convo we can agree that using the middle of the field is a good thing, just pull the inside stuff.

I did not say Polk taught that "while Wy was at MSU". I would have no way to know that, considering I was less than 10 years old at the time and learning the game beside the Pope crew. I don't know what Polk or even Wy for that matter taught through the early/mid 90s. I didn't even claim that Wy started teaching that way at HC when he first got there. He taught that way when I was there on the team there through 2002 -- and it came directly from Coach Polk during his retirement tour in our IPF at HC. Remember it like it was yesterday. I was standing right there when he taught it. Saw it with my own eyes. Was reinforced by Raffo and McMahon on the camp tour. I took it to heart more than most because I was 14, 140 lbs, and a LONG way from the field at that point and looking for anything to help me get there -- and none of us knew better than to worship Polk at that point in our careers.

Claiming he "didn't teach that way" is still claiming omniscience. He did. I didn't say he taught you that way. But he did teach me that way. I'll be more than happy to let it go as soon as you do. And I'm happy to just call a truce and move on.

engie
06-14-2015, 09:30 PM

I'm confused by who this lesson is meant to cover.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 09:46 PM
I did not say Polk taught that "while Wy was at MSU". I would have no way to know that, considering I was less than 10 years old at the time and learning the game beside the Pope crew. I don't know what Polk or even Wy for that matter taught through the early/mid 90s. I didn't even claim that Wy started teaching that way at HC when he first got there. He taught that way when I was there on the team there through 2002 -- and it came directly from Coach Polk during his retirement tour in our IPF at HC. Remember it like it was yesterday. I was standing right there when he taught it. Saw it with my own eyes. Was reinforced by Raffo and McMahon on the camp tour. I took it to heart more than most because I was 14, 140 lbs, and a LONG way from the field at that point and looking for anything to help me get there -- and none of us knew better than to worship Polk at that point in our careers.

Claiming he "didn't teach that way" is still claiming omniscience. He did. I didn't say he taught you that way. But he did teach me that way. I'll be more than happy to let it go as soon as you do. And I'm happy to just call a truce and move on.

I'm glad you want a "truce" I never needed one. However , you seem to need the last word. You DID call me out earlier in this thread claiming I was wrong that coach Polk did have a point system on a double L screen. I said no he didn't. You said again, he did. Only after I said I admitted I played under him did you back off. So while I respect your knowledge on baseball, your truce is only after you were called out.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm confused by who this lesson is meant to cover.

Color me shocked.

Smitty
06-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Color me shocked.

Guess the Preachermatt episode didn't stick

I seen it dawg
06-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Smitty this is a thread you should probably stay out of. Although it's a lot of bitching it's being done by people who actually understand the game at a high level. Back to serf network fella.

engie
06-14-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm glad you want a "truce" I never needed one. However , you seem to need the last word. You DID call me out earlier in this thread claiming I was wrong that coach Polk did have a point system on a double L screen. I said no he didn't. You said again, he did. Only after I said I admitted I played under him did you back off. So while I respect your knowledge on baseball, your truce is only after you were called out.

That's a outright lie. You were the one that called me out saying that he never had a system that he, in fact, did have and taught to a bunch of people. Hell, there is at least one other in this thread that not only agreed with me -- but said the same thing. I wasn't the one that called you out. It was the other way around. And, no, I'm not backing off. He did have a system that he literally taught to me and my entire team in either 1998 or 1999. Would you like names and phone numbers to cross reference the info? I've offered multiple times. But of course you don't -- because that would prove you wrong. Quit being a hypocrite. If you don't "need" the last word -- quit fighting for it. Or simply make the calls.

I don't know what I'm talking about because you were with Polk for 5 years in the late 80s/early 90s and there is no way he changed a thing in the decade that followed. You know this because you went back to practice in his second tenure** Therefore, there is no way he could have possibly taught anything in any different manner whatsoever in the decade that followed**

engie
06-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Color me shocked.

Your butt hurt on this is amusing. How about not being a douche and actually adding something? But I forgot -- your hard on has been ongoing for me for quite awhile now. Your need for "engie to be wrong" supercedes common sense. It obviously does for quite a few of you on this board and this topic right now. Logic be damned. On something that doesn't even matter anyway.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Yea I did tell you for the 17th time, Ron Polk never had a point system during bp that gave you points.at Mississippi st. I said that. That's the truth. Spin it how you want to. Hell yea I called you out.....because YOU called me out. You said I was wrong. Gosh dam, I can read, you called me out bro. You said he did, I said he didn't It isn't hard. He might have taught u Tim buck too at hillcrst in 2000 but he didn't at Mississippi state. It ain't hard. And I don't give one crap about a guy that spent a FALL at state when I spent 5 years there in the program. I pretty sure I know more than you and him. So move on.

engie
06-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Hell yea I called you out.....because YOU called me out. You said I was wrong.
So, you deny being the one that called me out first then? Lie. You said Polk never taught something that he did, in fact, teach. Directly to me. You are welcome to keep menstruating about knowing everything though. And you are still proclaiming that he "never taught something at MSU" which is claimed omniscience in and of itself.

Gosh dam, I can read, you called me out bro.
After you did to me.

You said he did, I said he didn't It isn't hard. He might have taught u Tim buck too at hillcrst in 2000 but he didn't at Mississippi state. It ain't hard. And I don't give one crap about a guy that spent a FALL at state when I spent 5 years there in the program. I pretty sure I know more than you and him. So move on.
You keep proclaiming this like it gives you power. Omniscience on the matters of Ron Polk and what he did and didn't teach. It's just as douchey as it would be if I tried to tell people what Wy was and wasn't teaching at Murray St, Dubuque, and UT Tyler. Hell, I played for him for 5 years over a decade ago. I must be a Wy genius that knows everything about how he practices and teaches. I know everything there is to know about what the guy does and doesn't teach** It's ****ing ridiculous.

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 10:59 PM

I'm on an iPhone and not as talented as you on specific points, but this is where you said Polk did use one for bp. Bullshit. He didn't. He might have taught someone how to use one but he didn't use one. So you are full of shit. Thanks for playing though

Homedawg
06-14-2015, 11:01 PM
If I need to keep going to give you a chance for a comeback though- feel free. I'm not your regular bitch that will just coward down. I'm dealing in facts. You can deal in in all the theory or bullshit you want

CadaverDawg
06-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Your butt hurt on this is amusing. How about not being a douche and actually adding something? But I forgot -- your hard on has been ongoing for me for quite awhile now. Your need for "engie to be wrong" supercedes common sense. It obviously does for quite a few of you on this board and this topic right now. Logic be damned. On something that doesn't even matter anyway.

Look how you just assumed I was talking about you, and totally flipped out.

How embarrassing.

engie
06-15-2015, 12:32 AM
Look how you just assumed I was talking about you, and totally flipped out.

How embarrassing.

You confirmed you were "talking about me" in your second response when I asked for clarification. What's done is done. You can't run from it now.

engie
06-15-2015, 12:35 AM
I'm on an iPhone and not as talented as you on specific points, but this is where you said Polk did use one for bp. Bullshit. He didn't. He might have taught someone how to use one but he didn't use one. So you are full of shit. Thanks for playing though

So, he "taught someone how to use something he didn't use" and you know this -- for an absolute fact -- because you were around him for 5 years in the late 80s/early 90s? Yet you deny that you have claimed omniscience and were the one that initially called me out by claiming Polk never taught something that he did, in fact, teach? This is common sense -- but I can't understand it for you.

engie
06-15-2015, 12:46 AM
If I need to keep going to give you a chance for a comeback though- feel free. I'm not your regular bitch that will just coward down. I'm dealing in facts. You can deal in in all the theory or bullshit you want

Yep. Omniscient facts. Polk never changed a thing -- he made it to Miami to recruit Rafi -- and couldn't make it 170 miles south to bother recruiting any of the players I'm obviously talking about -- one of which was about as big of MSU legacy as a person can possibly be and another of which will tell you today how MSU was always where he wanted to be. But the "regimented, always consistent" thing is only appropriate when it fits your agenda I guess. But who knows -- you were around him 10 years before any of this stuff happened -- so you probably know more about those recruitments than I do anyway.

CadaverDawg
06-15-2015, 12:51 AM
You confirmed you were "talking about me" in your second response when I asked for clarification. What's done is done. You can't run from it now.

Engie, I confirmed nothing. Now, don't attempt to suck me into your embarrassing "I know more than Homedawg" diatribe...I'm not interested. You jumped to conclusions as usual, made it about yourself as usual, and now you think the only way to make yourself look better is to get me arguing with you...nope. I'd rather let everyone see how you resorted to name calling and personal attacks despite me never even mentioning you.

And I know (just like everyone else knows) that you have to get the last word in...otherwise your ego will feel bruised. So go ahead. Meanwhile, I hope everyone is watching the way you react to this opportunity to change from your typical embarrassing reactions.

And for the future, if someone says something like, "I can't stand that smug douchebag on this board", and you get defensive and call them out....that is your conscience telling you YOU'RE that douchebag. Anotherwords**, I never referred to you, but you just happened to think you were the know-it-all that learned a lesson. Let that sink in, and maybe you really could learn a lesson. You won't, but you could.

Now, back to your unsuccessful dick measuring contest with Homedawg.

Dawg61
06-15-2015, 01:18 AM
I love how RougeDawg makes one stupid initial post and has yet to chime back in meanwhile this thread has turned into a total shitshow without him. Hilarious

CadaverDawg
06-15-2015, 06:12 AM
I love how RougeDawg makes one stupid initial post and has yet to chime back in meanwhile this thread has turned into a total shitshow without him. Hilarious

Haha, so true

KB21
06-15-2015, 08:03 AM
About pulling the inside stuff, you have to have quick hands to do that. We simply didn't have many guys who had naturally quick hands and the kind of bat speed to do it. Hunter Renfroe could, and he did. I think you will see Reid Humphreys do it this coming season as his plate discipline improves. Plus, he is a year removed from having his shoulder issue. I don't think he will hit like Hunter, but he will very likely be similar to his brother Tyler. Gavin Collins will be a year removed from having his hamate bone issue. Gavin showed some bat speed at a true freshman and was arguably our best hitter at the end of the 2014 season. He struggled some this past year, but as Shotgun stated, players that have hamate issues tend to struggle for a year. Brent Rooker is another that has plus bat speed, but like most young power guys, he has had minus pitch recognition to this point.