PDA

View Full Version : Gray Fenter..

maroonmania
06-12-2015, 12:17 PM
So in my mind at this point he seems to be the only draftee with any potential question marks. Is it just a foregone conclusion that he will sign with the Orioles or is there still some sliver of hope that he will come to MSU? What's the latest?

Coach34
06-12-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm hearing he got offered $1MM...I can't see that being turned down. It happens, but I just can't see it in this case

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2015, 12:41 PM
He's already agreed to terms. Not sure if he's officially signed yet, because Baltimore would have to sign a few other players first in order to "officially" have the money.

maroonmania
06-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Well 1MM was his asking price. Irritating that Baltimore could come up with that kind of money for an 7th round pick. They are obviously shafting some of their other Top 10 picks to do this (mostly college SRs).

Irondawg
06-12-2015, 12:57 PM
what was the slot value he was drafted at?

They system shoudln't allow college sr to get shafted - they should get the slot value or at least 90-95% of it

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Well 1MM was his asking price. Irritating that Baltimore could come up with that kind of money for an 7th round pick. They are obviously shafting some of their other Top 10 picks to do this (mostly college SRs).

Not sure how offering a college SR that chance to play professional baseball is "shafting" them. Afterall, they are seniors. If they were that good, they would've gone pro after their JR year.

I keep hearing people complaining about they system, but the system is incredibly more "college friendly" now than it was 5 years ago. 5 year ago, you could pay players whatever you wanted in any round. Kids in the 20th round were getting offered 1 mil. Now, at least team have to make decisions and allocate a limited amount money.

Complain all you want, but we are only going to lose 2 players in this class and 5 years ago, we may have lost 5 or 6. I'll take it

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2015, 12:59 PM
what was the slot value he was drafted at?

They system shoudln't allow college sr to get shafted - they should get the slot value or at least 90-95% of it

If that was the system, then Fenter would've gone in the 3rd round and not the 7th. Teams are still going to give money to who they want. The SRs didn't go in the higher rounds because their talent dictated it, they went there because teams could save money for later

Irondawg
06-12-2015, 01:14 PM
He didn't go in the 3rd round b/c $1M is even above that slot value

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2015-mlb-draft-slots/

I'm just off the opinion that while you may get some negotiating room, the slot value should mean something. He's getting basically 5x the slot value which means they had to save a chunk of money on earlier picks

RBritt
06-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Buck f$cked us!!

maroonmania
06-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Not sure how offering a college SR that chance to play professional baseball is "shafting" them. Afterall, they are seniors. If they were that good, they would've gone pro after their JR year.

I keep hearing people complaining about they system, but the system is incredibly more "college friendly" now than it was 5 years ago. 5 year ago, you could pay players whatever you wanted in any round. Kids in the 20th round were getting offered 1 mil. Now, at least team have to make decisions and allocate a limited amount money.

Complain all you want, but we are only going to lose 2 players in this class and 5 years ago, we may have lost 5 or 6. I'll take it

Good gracious they are getting totally shafted. They are supposedly worth of being a Top 10 round pick but are given peanuts because they don't have the option of college baseball anymore. You don't see college basketball and football drafted seniors treated that way and they are "out of options" too. I mean college baseball SRs have to live like anybody else and minor league baseball players' salaries are little to nothing. So YES, by not giving much of any signing bonus they are getting royally shafted. If its going to be done that way then they ought to let college SRs just negotiate their own deals without being tied down by the draft.

Homedawg
06-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Good gracious they are getting totally shafted. They are supposedly worth of being a Top 10 round pick but are given peanuts because they don't have the option of college baseball anymore. You don't see college basketball and football drafted seniors treated that way and they are "out of options" too. I mean college baseball SRs have to live like anybody else and minor league baseball players' salaries are little to nothing. So YES, by not giving much of any signing bonus they are getting royally shafted. If its going to be done that way then they ought to let college SRs just negotiate their own deals without being tied down by the draft.

I agree it sucks, but it's the system as it stands. Mason Katz last year went in the 4th round and the slot was 400ish, I don't remember exactly and too lazy to look it up, and signed for 95k. Grave man signed for 10k. They don't have any options really, they can wait until next years draft and be a year older and get screwed more. Tough deal.

confucius say
06-12-2015, 04:19 PM
I agree it sucks, but it's the system as it stands. Mason Katz last year went in the 4th round and the slot was 400ish, I don't remember exactly and too lazy to look it up, and signed for 95k. Grave man signed for 10k. They don't have any options really, they can wait until next years draft and be a year older and get screwed more. Tough deal.

Don't you have to declare for the draft? If so, if I'm a talented sr could I not just refuse to declare/enter the draft and then sign as a free agent?

maroonmania
06-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Don't you have to declare for the draft? If so, if I'm a talented sr could I not just refuse to declare/enter the draft and then sign as a free agent?

No, not in baseball. Anytime you are draft eligible you can be drafted although some guys do request not to be drafted (especially out of HS).

msstate7
06-12-2015, 04:34 PM

Right after your senior year, move to Mexico. You'd have more leverage in international draft*

Todd4State
06-12-2015, 04:54 PM

We're going to lose three- Pickett already, Fenter, and Riley. Unless Baltimore has a situation like Houston last year or Fenter and Riley fail physicals.

But your point is taken- it is a LOT more college friendly than ever, and I think it will only get more college friendly going forward. I remember the days when a guy drafted in the 20 something round was a major risk too.

Todd4State
06-12-2015, 04:57 PM

You can take yourself out of the draft- I've heard of that happening several times and it happens every year. But you can't just sign as a free agent- they have a rule that says that you have to be at least 21 to enter the draft again to keep that from happening.

You don't have to declare for the MLB draft.

fishwater99
06-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Are we going to keep Marrero, his dad is with the Reds as a coach?

Todd4State
06-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Are we going to keep Marrero, his dad is with the Reds as a coach?

Yes. Honestly, you would be surprised at how many MLB and ex-MLB players are pro college. Whether they went to college or not.

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2015, 07:09 PM

Here's the point your missing: These SRs aren't top 10 round prospects. They are only taken there to save money in the top 10 rounds.

maroonmania
06-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Here's the point your missing: These SRs aren't top 10 round prospects. They are only taken there to save money in the top 10 rounds.

If so that's something MLB needs to fix IMO. It makes the slotting system a joke. If the O's can pay Fenter second round money then they should have had to have grabbed him in the second round. And I KNOW the system is what it is but its screwed up, not that MLB cares what I think. I agree with what someone else suggested, a Top 10 pick should have a minimum bonus per where they are taken (for example, 50% of the slot value) and that would help protect kids that don't have the proper leverage from being taken advantage of.

zdawg
06-12-2015, 08:36 PM
He gone
Good luck young man !