PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Russell holds onto the ball too dam much argument

state66
07-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Ive heard this argument more times than I can remember but I dont think it has ever been discussed. What I saw last year was our WR struggled to get open which lead to Russell therefore holding onto the ball too much. I know some people have said hes looking for the big play route to develop too much which has caused to him to hold onto it too long but with what I deem is a better WR core do we have the same problem this year. Our WR staff is much bigger and much more athletic which I think results in better route running and therefore getting open faster and Russell delivering the ball quicker. So were the WR's last year the reason he held onto the ball too long? The bigger question is with a more athletic and bigger WR core does Russell do a better job of getting rid of the ball?

bulldawg28
07-08-2013, 01:17 PM
One major problem was we ran a lot of read option routes due that we had seniors at WR. The WR and QB had to be on the same page. The WR had the option to change the route after the ball is snapped based on the coverage and technique the Db is using. It puts Tyler at an disadvantage having to wait and see what the WR is going to do. Hopefully we go back to a simpler format which will end this problem.

MSUDawg4Life
07-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I found myself saying Tyler held the ball too long last year. I think it was the result of two things: receivers not getting open quickly and Tyler looking for the big play.

The first reason, I don't think you can blame Tyler much for that. If his receivers are not getting open, then you can't really expect him to throw the ball anyway.

The second reason ... I think is just a part of Tyler's personality. He has confidence in himself and knows he can thread a needle or make a big play. That mentality paid off for us in the Troy game and the Tennessee game. I just hate to see him take some of those big hits that he wouldn't have to take if he had gotten rid of the ball sooner. I think that's the basic reason many of us say he holds the ball too long. We just don't want to see our QB hit.

Just a natural fan reaction.

Coach34
07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
There was plenty of blame for that:

1. Russell does indeed hold it a little too long- sometimes waiting for the WR to break open instead of leading him where he needs to be
2. We ran too many routes that took longer to develop (coaches)
3. Our WR's were not quick at all

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-08-2013, 02:22 PM
The fact that he stand there like a statue doesn't help the perception that he's holding on too long. I think he does hold on too long, but it's not the major problem most think it is. He does need to work on his footwork so he can move a little in the pocket to find the open man by finding a better angle to throw, or be able to sidestep the impending QB knockdown, etc. It would be nice if Lewis and Holloway could give him a quick option this year, and hopefully some of the taller receivers will allow him to throw despite coverage.

bulldawg28
07-08-2013, 02:50 PM
The fact that he stand there like a statue doesn't help the perception that he's holding on too long. I think he does hold on too long, but it's not the major problem most think it is. He does need to work on his footwork so he can move a little in the pocket to find the open man by finding a better angle to throw, or be able to sidestep the impending QB knockdown, etc. It would be nice if Lewis and Holloway could give him a quick option this year, and hopefully some of the taller receivers will allow him to throw despite coverage.

Checkdowns would be great.

CadaverDawg
07-08-2013, 04:01 PM
For the longest time I wanted to blame the receivers for not getting open....but then I see Bumphis and Clark get picked up by NFL teams and I immediately realized that they may not be great, but they weren't the only ones to blame either. I feel like it is a play calling and route running combination, which all goes back to coaching. I REALLY hope Gonzo is going to help in this area.

At the same time, Russell is a Senior so he needs to learn how to change a play call and/or check down to a short route when he sees a blitz.

A 5th year Senior should not be holding on to the ball so long, for multiple reasons, some of which are beyond his control.

PMDawg
07-08-2013, 04:33 PM

1. Russell does indeed hold it a little too long- sometimes waiting for the WR to break open instead of leading him where he needs to be

THIS, in Spades. All 3. But #1 is definitely the biggest issue. He wants the WR to be WIDE OPEN before he will throw it. Not gonna happen at this level. He can't see the separation developing, and he definitely can't cause the separation (throw the receiver open). He had a lot of missed opportunities last year by not throwing it soon enough to a guy who was coming open, or moving into a soft spot in the zone. Throw it to an open spot in the zone and let the WR go get it. Throw the deep ball when the WR gets even with the DB (or before), don't wait until he's passed him or the safety help becomes a problem (or the DB has time to recover). He's a half second behind.

Will James
07-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah we looked amateurish with no check down options or TE routes last year. It was miserable to watch our offense in those beat down losses.

FISHDAWG
07-09-2013, 08:10 AM
I would rather have a sack than an interception ... I think the reason the # of picks went down this year was because he WAS holding onto the ball longer and not trying to force things ... to me, that shows maturity

Dawgdom
07-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Yes to all...I am still concern about TR's mental tools. Not sure if he has the right personality to be a top tier QB...(confidence, killer instinct, leadership skills).