PDA

View Full Version : How many guys currently on the team did we have drafted?

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Our coaches seems to have had a bad 2 years recruiting and developing players. We should have several junior and seniors get drafted every year.

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2015, 02:35 PM

MSUDawg99
06-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Zero, zilch, nada, 0

5 Star
06-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Drafted at any point? Or just the 2015 draft? 0 current players, but Robson, Humphreys, Hudson and Young had been drafted before. Collins, McCord and Swinarski was 'draft-able' but for various reasons were not signable. If you notice a theme, most of those guys are 1st or 2nd year players.

maroonmania
06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Our coaches seems to have had a bad 2 years recruiting and developing players. We should have several junior and seniors get drafted every year.

Well if you count the ones we ran off there is Nick Flair, James McMahon and Bret Marks.

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2015, 02:58 PM
So out of the talent we currently have on the team, 0 drafted this year. How does that stack up to the rest of the SEC? It seems like we have a 2 year bubble of combining shitty recruiting with shitty development. Was Lane Burroughs responsible for most of our talent?

War Machine Dawg
06-11-2015, 03:04 PM
I thought we did this back during the season and came to the conclusion we had more players on our team drafted than LSU & aTm combined. Smitty or someone care to go find that thread/post?

Regardless we've either grossly failed at evaluating talent or we've grossly failed at developing talent. I lean more heavily towards developing, but the reality is it's a combination of both. Swinarski, for example: high profile croot, big time potential, rumored to be out of a scholarship. Failure to develop talent.

Smitty
06-11-2015, 03:10 PM
I thought we did this back during the season and came to the conclusion we had more players on our team drafted than LSU & aTm combined. Smitty or someone care to go find that thread/post?

Regardless we've either grossly failed at evaluating talent or we've grossly failed at developing talent. I lean more heavily towards developing, but the reality is it's a combination of both. Swinarski, for example: high profile croot, big time potential, rumored to be out of a scholarship. Failure to develop talent.

More players starting that had previously been drafted, yes. Also noted LSU had a good number of JUCO starters.

Failure to develop talent is nail on head.

5 Star
06-11-2015, 03:14 PM
That is pretty wild if true. I just went and looked at LSU's roster and I only see Bregman as being drafted at all (until this year). But, as has been proven, that is a testament to those coaches (and in LSU and Texas A&M's case, very veteran-laden lineups), more than it is a knock on Cohen. It's not like we have an extraordinary amount of drafted players, even if it is more than LSU and Texas A&M.

maroonmania
06-11-2015, 05:06 PM
That is pretty wild if true. I just went and looked at LSU's roster and I only see Bregman as being drafted at all (until this year). But, as has been proven, that is a testament to those coaches (and in LSU and Texas A&M's case, very veteran-laden lineups), more than it is a knock on Cohen. It's not like we have an extraordinary amount of drafted players, even if it is more than LSU and Texas A&M.

Number of drafted players is a bad metric. A lot of players don't get drafted because its well known they are committed to going to college. Doesn't mean they wouldn't have been drafted otherwise.

Todd4State
06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Number of drafted players is a bad metric. A lot of players don't get drafted because its well known they are committed to going to college. Doesn't mean they wouldn't have been drafted otherwise.

Especially when they are from Louisiana and are committed to LSU.

Tbonewannabe
06-11-2015, 06:08 PM

When I was talking about on the team, it disregards the guys signed. I believe getting these high school guys that are getting drafted or told MLB basically not to waste your time is going to help our talent level.

What I am referring to is our current talent that is draftable. The juniors and seniors on our team that MLB says has the talent to play. Naturally we don't have a Lindgren or Holder on the team this year. Renfroe, Girodo, Frazier, Graveman all were drafted fairly high. I am talking about we aren't even getting Robson drafted in Round 37.

What does that say about our team? I don't understand why a team wouldn't take a flyer on Robson or maybe Cody Brown.

Todd4State
06-11-2015, 06:17 PM
When I was talking about on the team, it disregards the guys signed. I believe getting these high school guys that are getting drafted or told MLB basically not to waste your time is going to help our talent level.

What I am referring to is our current talent that is draftable. The juniors and seniors on our team that MLB says has the talent to play. Naturally we don't have a Lindgren or Holder on the team this year. Renfroe, Girodo, Frazier, Graveman all were drafted fairly high. I am talking about we aren't even getting Robson drafted in Round 37.

What does that say about our team? I don't understand why a team wouldn't take a flyer on Robson or maybe Cody Brown.

Robson wanted to come back to school. Cody Brown is too small and doesn't really have any projectable tools. He's a good college player though.

The eight guys in the Cape Cod League are draftable talents- Sexton, Tatum, Hudson, Houston, Daniel Brown, Collins, Humphreys, and Robson. If Nate Lowe shows out, I could see him possibly getting drafted. Maybe Michael Smith with a good year.

Coach34
06-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Doesn't really have shit to do with development. We didn't have pro caliber talent in our top 2 classes and that's why we sucked. Poor recruiting