PDA

View Full Version : trying to watch the NBA Finals

tcdog70
06-11-2015, 12:11 PM
But it is pretty Bad. Now Lebron and Curry are excellent players, but their supporting cast ain't much. And the muggings on Lebron is pitiful. Am I they only one that thinks the Celtics of Bird and the Lakers of Jerry West and Magic would kill either of these 2 teams?
1.Bird, the Chief, Ainge,McHale and DJ. then throw in Maravich, Cornbread maxwell, Archibald,and Walton at different times. All great players
2. I always thought Jerry West, Gail Goodrich, Elgin Baylor and Wilt were top 3 team ever.
3. But Kareem, Worthy and Magic plus other really good players would kill these guys.

Jerry West was maybe the most awesome player I have ever seen, along with Oscar Robinson and Rick Barry.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-11-2015, 12:18 PM
From the logic I've read on the boards Jerry West can't be too good. He was only 1-8 in 9 Finals appearances. If you don't win them all like MJ you're really not that good. At least that's what a lot of people think around here.
To answer your question the Showtime Lakers were arguably the greatest team ever. The Cavs especially if they win aren't an all time great team Lebron is putting together an all time great performance.

thf24
06-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Any of today's teams would most likely make those teams look like garbage, with maybe the exception of Magic's Lakers. Those past teams probably had more skill than most of today's, but the massive difference in top-to-bottom athleticism of modern teams would be too much for the greater skill to overcome. It's simply a different game.

BeardoMSU
06-11-2015, 12:20 PM
From the logic I've read on the boards Jerry West can't be too good. He was only 1-8 in 9 Finals appearances. If you don't win them all like MJ you're really not that good. At least that's what a lot of people think around here.
To answer your question the Showtime Lakers were arguably the greatest team ever. The Cavs especially if they win aren't an all time great team Lebron is putting together an all time great performance.

http://i.imgur.com/45WW0wy.gif

msstate7
06-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Any of today's teams would most likely make those teams look like garbage, with maybe the exception of Magic's Lakers. Those past teams probably had more skill than most of today's, but the massive difference in top-to-bottom athleticism of modern teams would be too much for the greater skill to overcome. It's simply a different game.

Since today's teams are so athletic, I really doubt dellavedova will have any success in this series*

thf24
06-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Since today's teams are so athletic, I really doubt dellavedova will have any success in this series*

I'm not saying the savvy, less physically-gifted guys aren't still around, but any given team 15-20 years ago had maybe 2-3 guys of the same athleticism that most of every team's roster has now. Then there's the scientific physical training and conditioning that goes on now to widen the gap even more. Again, it's just turned into a different game.

Jacksondevildog
06-11-2015, 12:47 PM
The Cavaliers are missing Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving. Both of those players are extremely good. All Stars basically. The fact that Cleveland has a 2-1 lead over Golden State with those two out with season ending injuries says a lot about the "supporting cast" that LeBron has.

Rayburn8
06-11-2015, 12:49 PM

Bu...bu..buuu....but everything was better twenty years ago.***

Seriously tho, the 2012 and 2013 Miami Heat teams could compete with ShowTime and bird and probably beat them. As would the 2014 Spurs. But people act like the champions of the past would blow out today's champs. They also act like Lebron has no other competition in the NBA today. Yet there are multiple HOFers in the league right now. Duncan, CP3, KD, Melo, Curry are all for sure. Then there is Griffen, Harden, Westbrook, Paul George, will make it if they sustain their current success. That doesn't even include some of the borderline guys.

drunkernhelldawg
06-11-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm loving the series. Great play and toughness. Theses guys are leaving it all on the court. Don't miss it! Game 4 tonight.

Rayburn8
06-11-2015, 01:01 PM
To be far tho, the reason these games look like shitty basketball is because Cleveland is trying to make it shitty basketball. They can't beat GS in straight up clean basketball, so they are playing gutter ball and GS, who is used to clean pretty boy west coast ball is getting physically dominated by Cleveland's gutter ball.

DudyDawg
06-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Bu...bu..buuu....but everything was better twenty years ago.***

Seriously tho, the 2012 and 2013 Miami Heat teams could compete with ShowTime and bird and probably beat them. As would the 2014 Spurs. But people act like the champions of the past would blow out today's champs. They also act like Lebron has no other competition in the NBA today. Yet there are multiple HOFers in the league right now. Duncan, CP3, KD, Melo, Curry are all for sure. Then there is Griffen, Harden, Westbrook, Paul George, will make it if they sustain their current success. That doesn't even include some of the borderline guys.

That's not even half of them. Consider the Kobes and Dirks who were much healthier and in their prime when Lebron broke in and for much of his career. Those are first ballot HOFs. I think today's NBA is deeper than it has ever been. Just the 2003 (melo, Lebron year I believe) draft was stacked w some insane talent

Rayburn8
06-11-2015, 02:22 PM
That's not even half of them. Consider the Kobes and Dirks who were much healthier and in their prime when Lebron broke in and for much of his career. Those are first ballot HOFs. I think today's NBA is deeper than it has ever been. Just the 2003 (melo, Lebron year I believe) draft was stacked w some insane talent

But Jordan played with Shaq, Hakeem, Barkley and Miller and LeBron played against no other susperstar******

msstate7
06-11-2015, 04:00 PM
But Jordan played with Shaq, Hakeem, Barkley and Miller and LeBron played against no other susperstar******

Who are the guys today on par with Isaiah Thomas, Barkley, bird, magic, Karim, worthy, Hakeem?

dawgs
06-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Who are the guys today on par with Isaiah Thomas, Barkley, bird, magic, Karim, worthy, Hakeem?

Well all those guys aren't from the same era. Maybe a little crossover, but Kareem and Hakeem aren't the same era even if the end of Kareem and beginning of Hakeem overlapped.

But to answer your question, duncan, cp3, durant, dirk, d wade, Kobe, etc. are 1st ballot HoFers. Probably more I could think of if I tried, especially if we start including guys who starred in the 90s and only overlapped a few years into most of these guys' careers (kinda like Kareem and Hakeem).

Dawg61
06-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Curry, Chris Paul, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitski, Kobe. Not too shabby.

cheewgumm
06-11-2015, 04:19 PM
LEBRON is getting credit for stuff he isn't even doing.

Warriors are missing shots...period. If they shoot well tonight, they win by 15 or more.

DudyDawg
06-11-2015, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=cheewgumm;378285]LEBRON is getting credit for stuff he isn't even doing.

Warriors are missing shots...period. If they shoot well tonight, they win by 15 or more.[/QUOTE

Good lord

DudyDawg
06-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Warriors are missing shots...period. If they shoot well tonight, they win by 15 or more.

Most of the credit I'm seeing given to him is over the fact that he's literally having the best offensive performance we've ever seen in NBA finals history so far.

msstate7
06-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Curry, Chris Paul, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitski, Kobe. Not too shabby.

I don't watch hardly any nba so I can't argue, but I think you've got some guys that don't match the greatness of my list. Again though, i don't watch enough, so I'll leave this argument to more informed posters

BeardoMSU
06-11-2015, 05:11 PM
I don't watch hardly any nba so I can't argue, but I think you've got some guys that don't match the greatness of my list. Again though, i don't watch enough, so I'll leave this argument to more informed posters

Well, I think you've just answered yourself, 7.

BeardoMSU
06-11-2015, 05:13 PM

http://replygif.net/i/1230.gif

tcdog70
06-11-2015, 08:15 PM
The Reason Jerry West didn't win more was because of Russell's Celtics and Wilt' s awesome Philadelpia Warrior team. but when Wilt went to the Lakers with West and Baylor they were awesome. Do you not think they were athletic? These team nowadays have no one that could handle Wilt. The only Player that could hold Him down was Bill Russell. Remember , I,listened to Tiny Arichbald explain the other day, that when Magic and Bird played hand checking was allowed they can't hand check anymore. He said without hand checking Bird would score forty every game. Look at Jerry West still holding the record for points scored in the first two game of a finals and there was no 3 point line then.

cheewgumm
06-11-2015, 10:46 PM
http://replygif.net/i/1230.gif

Ahem... Well 20+, so off a little.

Good bye Cleveland.

dawgs
06-11-2015, 11:39 PM
The Reason Jerry West didn't win more was because of Russell's Celtics and Wilt' s awesome Philadelpia Warrior team. but when Wilt went to the Lakers with West and Baylor they were awesome. Do you not think they were athletic? These team nowadays have no one that could handle Wilt. The only Player that could hold Him down was Bill Russell. Remember , I,listened to Tiny Arichbald explain the other day, that when Magic and Bird played hand checking was allowed they can't hand check anymore. He said without hand checking Bird would score forty every game. Look at Jerry West still holding the record for points scored in the first two game of a finals and there was no 3 point line then.

you're right, the nba now is not more physical than it was then.

BeardoMSU
06-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Good bye Cleveland.

Yeah, touche.

https://www.nrcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/touche.gif

Series isn't over yet, though. It'll go to 7.

dawgs
06-11-2015, 11:48 PM

i think a lot of players benefit from nostalgia. in 20-30 years there will be 40-50 year olds talking about how the current players can't match up with lebron, kobe, tim duncan, durant, dirk, etc. and they'll be just as full of shit as the people saying that now.

you also listed guys that played in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. so that's 4 decades worth of great players you are asking for the current NBA to match. that's just unfair.

cheewgumm
06-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Yeah, touche.

https://www.nrcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/touche.gif

Series isn't over yet, though. It'll go to 7.

Probably right.... Long way to go yet .

dawgoneyall
06-12-2015, 12:23 AM
71-72 Lakers was the best I have ever seen.

FlabLoser
06-12-2015, 12:39 AM
Why the hell does it start so late?

Game was in CLE. Cali too vogue to end dinner before 7pm?

dawgs
06-12-2015, 12:41 AM
Why the hell does it start so late?

because there's a whole time zone over here on the west coast that works till 5, and the NBA and ABC aren't going to start their biggest games of the year while that entire time zone is either still working or just leaving work.

msstate7
06-12-2015, 05:59 AM
i think a lot of players benefit from nostalgia. in 20-30 years there will be 40-50 year olds talking about how the current players can't match up with lebron, kobe, tim duncan, durant, dirk, etc. and they'll be just as full of shit as the people saying that now.

you also listed guys that played in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. so that's 4 decades worth of great players you are asking for the current NBA to match. that's just unfair.

I'm sure nostalgia does play a part in my thinking those players were better than today's. When I came up with that list, I was trying to think of players that Jordan played against. My argument that I think started in another thread was that Jordan played against better competition in his career. I guess I couldve added Stockton, Malone, shaq, Ewing, Clyde, miller, and mchale

Jacksondevildog
06-12-2015, 06:51 AM
People really show their age and how white they are when they start discussing NBA basketball on here. And I'm white.

msstate7
06-12-2015, 07:21 AM
People really show their age and how white they are when they start discussing NBA basketball on here. And I'm white.

Pistol Pete could be all today's players haha

DudyDawg
06-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Good bye Cleveland.

Good bye? It's just a best of three now. I'm still taking Lebron to win 2. But he's not going to do it with JR and Shumpert being complete ghosts.

The cavs need to come up with a plan for David Lee. Would've liked to see him and Love battle. Two skilled bigs.

tcdog70
06-12-2015, 10:44 AM
FYI--Jerry West could jump 16 inches over the rim. He was also selected on the all defensive team, Wilt is the only Center to lead the NBA in assist for a season. Oscar Robinson averaged a triple double for a season. i just found this pretty awesome.

BeardoMSU
06-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Pistol Pete could be all today's players haha

Yeah, he could even dribble with both hands ;)

blacklistedbully
06-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Good bye? It's just a best of three now. I'm still taking Lebron to win 2. But he's not going to do it with JR and Shumpert being complete ghosts.

The cavs need to come up with a plan for David Lee. Would've liked to see him and Love battle. Two skilled bigs.

Cleveland's success has hinged on LJ having monster games, and Dellavedova playing lights-out defense versus Curry, a task that literally put him in the hospital after game 3. Neither seem capable of keeping up the pace. The Warriors are just better, with a LOT more depth. Even when their starters have crappy games, the, "1b's" come in and play extremely well.

As in the Memphis series, when the other team plays great, and GS plays well below their standard, GS either keeps the game within reach or wins. When GS plays to their potential, they dominate.

Would have been interesting to see how this would have played out had Cleveland been more healthy. Then again, we might not have seen the performances we got from Delladelova. He has been a HUGE difference-maker for Cleveland so far.

drunkernhelldawg
06-12-2015, 01:18 PM
The Cavs would have given themselves a better chance of winning the series by resting Lebron for the entire second half. He's trying to do too much. Also, he should have been checked for for concussion after the injury. I don't understand the way that whole thing went down.

msstate7
06-12-2015, 01:29 PM
The Cavs would have given themselves a better chance of winning the series by resting Lebron for the entire second half. He's trying to do too much. Also, he should have been checked for for concussion after the injury. I don't understand the way that whole thing went down.

Probably scared to have him checked. If he gets diagnosed with a concussion, it's over

Dawg Corps
06-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Aren't there rules against playing with an open wound too?