PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - Various Bar Tastings

SapperDawg
06-10-2015, 07:08 PM
I really like it when I can get to a great bar with a varied, top notch selection of whiskeys. These mostly exist in larger cities, so I tend to find them during business trips. I like trying out bottles I have been eyeing, but don?t want to come off the money to purchase, or bottles I just can't get.

I spent last week in San Antonio, and found a really great cocktail bar with an awesome whiskey selection near the Riverwalk. In no particular order, I had the following:

W.L. Weller 12 year old. Known as the poor man's Pappy Van Winkle, this bottle disappeared from shelves a few years ago when someone wrote an article about it. Retailing at only $24 a bottle, these get pretty expensive on the aftermarket. This joint had it for $6 a pour, so I had it neat. Honestly, it aint Pappy 20 or 23, but it did compare well to it's cousin the Van Winkle 12 year old. If you are a fan of the wheaters, you will like this one. If you can find one for $20, get it, otherwise there is no way I would pay what the aftermarket is asking for this. Make sure you don?t confuse this one, the Weller Antique or Weller Reserve.

Barterhouse 20 year old. This is part of the Diego orphan barrel series, and I almost had my hands on a bottle from my local purveyor, but it was spoken for. This was damn good. You could tell it was very old based on how smooth it is, and the taste put this bottle on my covet list. It is a must have for my collection now?if I can ever find it.

Bulleit. Believe it or not, I have never had this bourbon, despite widespread availability. I had several pours last week, and have to say, I liked it a lot. I think this is because I generally prefer a higher rye mash bourbon (this one is 28%), and I have been depriving my stash by not having this bottle in my cabinet. I am now on the search for the 10 year old expression.

When I got home from SA, I found Jefferson's Chef Collaboration. If any of you follow the PBS series "Mind of a Chef", you will recognize Ed Lee. He collaborated a few years ago with Jefferson's to create this special batch of bourbon. My bottle is batch #10, so I have no idea what the prior batches were. It says it's a "blend of straight bourbon and rye whiskies".

It is good. Wowzer. The idea behind this was to blend a bourbon that paired with food, and I can say they did just that. I can totally see serving this alongside appetizers and savory desserts.

Full disclosure, I picked this up in a private store, and paid more than I probably should. If you can get it around $50, put a couple on the shelf for special dinner party or two.

BeastMan
06-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Awesome as usual. I've never had the Bulliet either despite almost grabbing a bottle from the store numerous times.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Bulleit has become my go-to for regular drinking - and even mixing for higher end cocktails. A local place here serves an outstanding Bulleit Manhattan that may be the best Manhattan I've ever had.

SapperDawg
06-11-2015, 06:24 PM
My next order of business is to vat (mix) two whiskeys together to make something better than the sum of the parts. Ideally, they will be under $30 bottles...Old Charter 8 year old is what I am starting with. I need a good second or third to go with it. If I can get it right, I will be stocking the Gridiron with my personal vatted whiskey this year.