msstate7
06-10-2015, 06:20 PM
We didn't have room anyway*

Todd4State
06-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Good. Now we can replace him.

RBritt
06-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Phils also drafted Mark Laird from LSU. Pickett couldn't handle Colorado high school pitching how in the hell is he going to hit professional pitchers. Laird is 5 times the player he is and has hit SEC pitching for 4 years, gone to Omaha twice, and may win a national championship. Friend of mine who plays for the Rockies says the minor league road trips are great especially Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. Hopefully Laird jumps Sandbergs ass and he can be our qb in 4 years.

civildawg
06-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Wow

Dallas_Dawg
06-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Phils also drafted Mark Laird from LSU. Pickett couldn't handle Colorado high school pitching how in the hell is he going to hit professional pitchers. Laird is 5 times the player he is and has hit SEC pitching for 4 years, gone to Omaha twice, and may win a national championship. Friend of mine who plays for the Rockies says the minor league road trips are great especially Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. Hopefully Laird jumps Sandbergs ass and he can be our qb in 4 years.

Go smoke a joint man. Or pop a Xanax. Maybe a 6 pack.
It's gonna be ok

RBritt
06-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Just stating the facts. Im crossing my fingers but I expect Hump, Rooker, and Gordon to be our home run hitters.

Smitty
06-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Just stating the facts. Im crossing my fingers but I expect Hump, Rooker, and Gordon to be our home run hitters.

Does Gordon really have legit power or are we equating his bigness with it? He only hit 3 as a senior

Backspin
06-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Gordon has tremendous power as a left side hitter. He's a dead pull hitter though. Needs to learn to use a little more of the field and needs ABs against SEC comp so there's still a transition going forward. Will be a good one if given enough opportunity.

Todd4State
06-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Gordon has tremendous power as a left side hitter. He's a dead pull hitter though. Needs to learn to use a little more of the field and needs ABs against SEC comp so there's still a transition going forward. Will be a good one if given enough opportunity.

Agree. But he's the kind of player we should be recruiting more of.

Irondawg
06-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Well this one just hurt because we thought he was coming and we had dodged a bullet and then had the rug pulled from under us. Be curious how much they were able to overpay the slot to get him

CadaverDawg
06-10-2015, 09:55 PM

Would be nice if we just let Gordon continue to be a "pull hitter with power". Unfortunately we'll have him peppering the L-screen all summer and he'll be a "spray it all over the field" guy with a lack of power in no time.

Someone asked me today how Rea wasn't drafted. I said there isn't a market for a 6'5 300 pound slap hitter in MLB. There is absolutely zero excuse for Rea to have only hit 5 bombs this year. Sikes Orvis chuckles at Rea's homerun total.

Todd4State
06-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Would be nice if we just let Gordon continue to be a "pull hitter with power". Unfortunately we'll have him peppering the L-screen all summer and he'll be a "spray it all over the field" guy with a lack of power in no time.

Someone asked me today how Rea wasn't drafted. I said there isn't a market for a 6'5 300 pound slap hitter in MLB. There is absolutely zero excuse for Rea to have only hit 5 bombs this year. Sikes Orvis chuckles at Rea's homerun total.

Guys being dead pull hitters only and not using the whole field are a big reason why offense is down across baseball. If you use the whole field you will be a better hitter- and you'll actually hit with more power if you are a power hitter.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Guys being dead pull hitters only and not using the whole field are a big reason why offense is down across baseball. If you use the whole field you will be a better hitter- and you'll actually hit with more power if you are a power hitter.

Not saying I want a team full of pull hitters...I'm saying if he is a pull hitter and is a source of power, don't **** it up. Kyle Martin and several other "pull hitters with power" have made quite a living watching teams shift defense on them. If that's Gordon, I'll take it.

Todd4State
06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Not saying I want a team full of pull hitters...I'm saying if he is a pull hitter and is a source of power, don't **** it up. Kyle Martin and several other "pull hitters with power" have made quite a living watching teams shift defense on them. If that's Gordon, I'll take it.

A power hitter that can use the whole field and thus hits for a higher average will hit for more power and be more productive. Ask Albert Pujols how using the whole field hurt his power.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2015, 10:34 PM
A power hitter that can use the whole field and thus hits for a higher average will hit for more power and be more productive. Ask Albert Pujols how using the whole field hurt his power.

I know. I'm not disagreeing with that. But we don't have much power, so don't mess with the power we DO have. That's all I'm saying. Not recommending pull hitting

msstate7
06-10-2015, 10:38 PM
I know. I'm not disagreeing with that. But we don't have much power, so don't mess with the power we DO have. That's all I'm saying. Not recommending pull hitting

I don't care if the batter is pulling or going opposite field. I just want some hitters that are willing to swing with runners are in scoring position and esp with the bases loaded. It seemed our guys were just looking for walks instead of being aggressive last year

5 Star
06-10-2015, 10:46 PM

That's not a Cohen thing, that's a Rea thing.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2015, 10:49 PM
That's not a Cohen thing, that's a Rea thing.

Then it SHOULD have been a Cohen thing. Is he not the coach? Then COACH him.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2015, 10:49 PM
I don't care if the batter is pulling or going opposite field. I just want some hitters that are willing to swing with runners are in scoring position and esp with the bases loaded. It seemed our guys were just looking for walks instead of being aggressive last year

Exactly my point.

Todd4State
06-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Then it SHOULD have been a Cohen thing. Is he not the coach? Then COACH him.

Well, what do you want him to do? Go out there in the middle of an AB and tell Wes to get his head out of his ass and use the whole field in the middle of a game? That would have gone over real well with the lifetime seat crowd.

The other option is to bench him- and then people question why our lineup is weird.

Todd4State
06-11-2015, 12:18 AM

That's what hitters that aren't very good do.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Well, what do you want him to do? Go out there in the middle of an AB and tell Wes to get his head out of his ass and use the whole field in the middle of a game? That would have gone over real well with the lifetime seat crowd.

The other option is to bench him- and then people question why our lineup is weird.

Todd, you know I respect your baseball opinions. That being said, your inability to discuss criticisms of our coach has gotten extreme. Everyone that has a complaint is not Smitty, so no need to get all defensive.

Wes Rea was a 5TH YEAR SENIOR. Are you telling me in 5 years Cohen wasn't able to COACH that big bastard to hit with more power? He didn't have to walk to the plate with him...that's what practice is for. You can't be serious.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2015, 07:25 AM
That's what hitters that aren't very good do.

Then develop them. After 3, 4, and 5 years, can we not develop them to where they don't continue to take the wrong approach?

If you're putting it all on the hitters, why the hell do we even pay Cohen? You act as if the players are supposed to watch a YouTube video and teach themselves how to be better hitters.

BankerDog
06-11-2015, 07:49 AM
Todd, you know I respect your baseball opinions. That being said, your inability to discuss criticisms of our coach has gotten extreme. Everyone that has a complaint is not Smitty, so no need to get all defensive.

Wes Rea was a 5TH YEAR SENIOR. Are you telling me in 5 years Cohen wasn't able to COACH that big bastard to hit with more power? He didn't have to walk to the plate with him...that's what practice is for. You can't be serious.

Yes he was a 5th year senior that Cohen and Co were not expecting back. In fact they didn't want him back but he came back. The way he actually hit this year, he forced them to play him. Yall don't realize this, but most of those seniors had their heads up their ass. And the upcoming juniors got to campus thinking they were apart of the Championship appearance team. That along with other things I have said throughout the season are what caused this season to be like this.

By the way, Gavin Collins had another surgery on his hand yesterday. He wasn't completely 100% this year. Next year will be better. I can guarentee that.

basedog
06-11-2015, 07:57 AM

If I recall, Rea was recruited to be a pitcher, he hurt his shoulder so pitching was out. So, as it turned out he was a great defensive 1st baseman who got hot for our CWS run and was average at best, we never recruited a 1st baseman who could take Rea off the field imo.

I seen it dawg
06-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Then develop them. After 3, 4, and 5 years, can we not develop them to where they don't continue to take the wrong approach?

If you're putting it all on the hitters, why the hell do we even pay Cohen? You act as if the players are supposed to watch a YouTube video and teach themselves how to be better hitters.

Everybody knows where I stand on the staff...that being said sometimes a hitter can only do what he can do. Talent limitations at some point take over and the guy can only do what his talent allows. I imagine they worked with him as much as possible and as the talent ceiling was hit they just had to make him the best they could with what they had to work with. Of course that's if he ever hit his ceiling...sometimes the player won't allow the coaches to find the ceiling.

I seen it dawg
06-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Yes he was a 5th year senior that Cohen and Co were not expecting back. In fact they didn't want him back but he came back. The way he actually hit this year, he forced them to play him. Yall don't realize this, but most of those seniors had their heads up their ass. And the upcoming juniors got to campus thinking they were apart of the Championship appearance team. That along with other things I have said throughout the season are what caused this season to be like this.

By the way, Gavin Collins had another surgery on his hand yesterday. He wasn't completely 100% this year. Next year will be better. I can guarentee that.

No ****ing shit?

Smitty
06-11-2015, 08:27 AM
WTF all Rea did last year was go oppo because he couldn't touch the inside fastball

I seen it dawg
06-11-2015, 08:31 AM
WTF all Rea did last year was go oppo because he couldn't touch the inside fastball

Agains I say....No ****ing shit?

Smitty
06-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Agains I say....No ****ing shit?

Well, what do you want him to do? Go out there in the middle of an AB and tell Wes to get his head out of his ass and use the whole field in the middle of a game?.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2015, 09:05 AM

Does it concern you that you're telling us Cohen didn't want his best hitter to come back for his Senior year? Jesus, that makes Cohen look even worse.

Thank God Rea DID come back, or we might not have won a single SEC game.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2015, 09:13 AM
If I recall, Rea was recruited to be a pitcher, he hurt his shoulder so pitching was out. So, as it turned out he was a great defensive 1st baseman who got hot for our CWS run and was average at best, we never recruited a 1st baseman who could take Rea off the field imo.

Great point. However, pitcher or not, great talent or not, he changed basically nothing about his approach and swing over the course of 5 years. Hit roughly as many bombs his first year as he did his last. That is extremely poor development, and I feel that Cohen should have coached him on his swing and approach to generate more power over the course of 5 effing years.

Besides, if Rea was as poor & untalented as Todd & others are trying to make our best hitter out to be...how in the hell was he not surpassed by a more talented, and better hitting 1st baseman over the course of 4 years?

I'm not wanting to argue, but when obvious criticisms are made excuses for, I hate it. Let's quit sugar coating things...Cohen does things well, but he does things bad too. I'm discussing a bad right now, just like I can and have discussed good things he does.

Jacksondevildog
06-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Rea was not surpassed by another player over 4 years because he was really good defensively at first base and he happened to start playing when our program started winning big. We went to Omaha when he was a sophomore and won the SEC tourney when he was a freshman. The fans loved him and there was no way Cohen was benching him, even if he didn't work hard in the fall and off season during team workouts.

5 Star
06-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Thank God Rea DID come back, or we might not have won a single SEC game.
I disagree with you. Rea had his big games in losses and insignificant moments, and often didn't contribute at all in wins. Not to mention the experience that another player did not get. Rea gave us some moments in the 2013 postseason, I'm grateful for those, but I've never been as ready to see a player graduate as I am him.

BankerDog
06-11-2015, 10:23 AM
This was before Rea showed he made adjustments. After his junior year, no one wanted him back around. Including many fans.

BankerDog
06-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Rea was not surpassed by another player over 4 years because he was really good defensively at first base and he happened to start playing when our program started winning big. We went to Omaha when he was a sophomore and won the SEC tourney when he was a freshman. The fans loved him and there was no way Cohen was benching him, even if he didn't work hard in the fall and off season during team workouts.

Then you will be really mad when I tell you because Trent Waddell was the best defensive 1B we had. And that came from several of the players on the team. Can't bench a senior captain though, who the lifetime season ticket holders love.

5 Star
06-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Cohen did indeed bench him for a portion of the 2014 season.