PDA

View Full Version : US Men's National Team

cbrunt29
06-10-2015, 04:00 PM
defeated #6 ranked Netherlands a few days ago and beat #1 and Fifa world cup champs Germany today.

The guys sure are showing out in these friendlies.
(BTW, we are currently ranked #27)

trob115
06-10-2015, 04:08 PM
That's great and all, but the key word there is "friendly".

TheRef
06-10-2015, 04:16 PM
But it is a full-strength German team that are preparing for the UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifying. We shouldn't take these wins lightly. Both squads are their legit squads.

Dawg Corps
06-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. This is America. When did we start caring about soccer?**

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Yawn. Let's see them do it when it matters.

mstatefan91
06-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Yawn. Let's see them do it when it matters.

That's gonna be a while. This is definitely a good sign though

dawgs
06-10-2015, 05:46 PM
And a lot of these guys doing the scoring are young up-and-coming guys. Dempsey and altidore aren't playing. Also great to see Bradley looking badass in the midfield again after he shit the bed in the WC last year.

Charlie_Sheen420
06-10-2015, 07:19 PM
The entire US Soccer Federation is currently doing very well, and I think it is great! The women's team should continue to do well in the Women's World Cup, and the U-20 men's team is now in the final 8 of the U-20 World Cup in New Zealand after a win early this morning.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2015, 10:16 PM
The entire US Soccer Federation is currently doing very well, and I think it is great! The women's team should continue to do well in the Women's World Cup, and the U-20 men's team is now in the final 8 of the U-20 World Cup in New Zealand after a win early this morning.

Didn't know the U20 cup was going on. When do they play again?

TheRef
06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
According to http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/matches/ , the U20 team will play at 11:30 Saturday Night

RDawg90
06-10-2015, 11:17 PM
But it is a full-strength German team that are preparing for the UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifying. We shouldn't take these wins lightly. Both squads are their legit squads.

B-Squad at best for Germany. Take nothing away from the performance though, the United States were certainly missing players as well. Two positive results on the bounce, good contributions from younger players with little to no experience.

Dawg61
06-10-2015, 11:25 PM
B-Squad at best for Germany. Take nothing away from the performance though, the United States were certainly missing players as well. Two positive results on the bounce, good contributions from younger players with little to no experience.

They started Schweinsteiger, Ozil and Gotze. Three of their best and guys that trounced Brazil. We didn't start Altidore, Jones or Dempsey arguably our three best players. This match was IN GERMANY!! This is huge progress.

War Machine Dawg
06-10-2015, 11:40 PM
They started Schweinsteiger, Ozil and Gotze. Three of their best and guys that trounced Brazil. We didn't start Altidore, Jones or Dempsey arguably our three best players. This match was IN GERMANY!! This is huge progress.

Completely agree. And don't forget Schurrle started, too. On balance, their so-called "B team" probably has more talent than our A team. And not having Dempsey is huge. I'm starting to think Altidore isn't a huge loss, though. Love what I'm seeing from Zardes and Jordan Morris. Speaking of Morris, kid needs to play more. He's the truth. Bobby Wood is getting all the press for scoring the 2 game winners, and he should, but I have barely seen it mentioned that Morris delivered a perfect assist for him in the Netherlands game. I want to see him get some real PT even after Altidore returns.

What gives me some serious wool is that we're making this run with a bunch of the young developmental guys and players still adjusting to new positions. Yedlin moving to the midfield immediately jumps out as a big position change. The only thing I don't like is starting John Brooks. That guy is pretty much terrible. We have to have someone better on the back end than him. We're going to be in really good shape in the not too distant future. We should have a seriously loaded roster for the '18 World Cup.

TheRef
06-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Completely agree. And don't forget Schurrle started, too. On balance, their so-called "B team" probably has more talent than our A team. And not having Dempsey is huge. I'm starting to think Altidore isn't a huge loss, though. Love what I'm seeing from Zardes and Jordan Morris. Speaking of Morris, kid needs to play more. He's the truth. Bobby Wood is getting all the press for scoring the 2 game winners, and he should, but I have barely seen it mentioned that Morris delivered a perfect assist for him in the Netherlands game. I want to see him get some real PT even after Altidore returns.

What gives me some serious wool is that we're making this run with a bunch of the young developmental guys and players still adjusting to new positions. Yedlin moving to the midfield immediately jumps out as a big position change. The only thing I don't like is starting John Brooks. That guy is pretty much terrible. We have to have someone better on the back end than him. We're going to be in really good shape in the not too distant future. We should have a seriously loaded roster for the '18 World Cup.

Not to mention all the players on the U20 team that could be called up to the main squad before the World Cup

RDawg90
06-10-2015, 11:54 PM
No Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Kroos, Reus, Muller, Howedes, all of whom would probably be in the first eleven for them if available. Certainly two big wins on the bounce though, as I mentioned earlier. Overall, it was a very impressive performance today, especially in the second half. Hopefully Yedlin, Morris, Brooks, Woods, etc. can take this experience and really push forward.

And as mentioned earlier, our youth teams, whether it be at the U-20 World Cup or the Toulon tournament, have played well this summer.

And just for the record, Schweinsteiger is certainly past it? Nowhere near the player he was.

War Machine Dawg
06-11-2015, 02:39 AM
Just discovered that the next USMNT game is in Nashville on July 3. Corner seats are less than $35. I'm seriously considering going. That's probably the closest they'll ever play to us.

BulldogDX55
06-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Just discovered that the next USMNT game is in Nashville on July 3. Corner seats are less than $35. I'm seriously considering going. That's probably the closest they'll ever play to us.

I might have to go to this.

@RDawg90: During the game, they said that Germany had 13 of their WC players, while we had 11. Neither team had their top players, but it was still far from a B squad.

Statefan
06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Don't let anyone talk down this victory. Germany stilled played Gotze, Schurrle, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Khedeira, and a bunch of other high profile guys that play for big clubs that I can't think of because almost all of their players are at that caliber

I think we only had 2 starters there that started in the WC game against Belgium (Bradley and Johnson) and when we won our strikers were a guy in the 3rd division of German soccer and a kid still playing at Stanford